post #721 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by rnoble
I was going to explore this 'software' however I've found from the Microsoft site that it's only available via MCE Computers. Without getting yourselves into hot water how is everyone testing/using this application? Surely you haven't all gone out and bought new PC's?

You can buy it at newegg among other places. It does require a fresh install of the whole OS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel
I would really like to get my recordings to work more Tivo like under MCE, but it is a difficult decision for me to decide whether to spend $0 and keep my trusty MyHD or spend a few bucks to wrestle with an unknown in the HDTV Wonder.

That's MCE's strength for sure. I personally think it doesn't just approximate Tivo it surpasses it.

I have no experience with the Kram modified drivers but it's just the kind of thing I would normally shy away from for stability reasons. I have a WinTV-PVR USB2 (hate that name) that I share between two MCE machines (and loaned it out to a third). Once you've set up MCE it will run fine without the analog tuner.

So figure closer to $300 for two tuners to get you going, unless you can borrow an analog tuner.
post #723 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Schauer
That's MCE's strength for sure. I personally think it doesn't just approximate Tivo it surpasses it.

I have no experience with the Kram modified drivers but it's just the kind of thing I would normally shy away from for stability reasons. I have a WinTV-PVR USB2 (hate that name) that I share between two MCE machines (and loaned it out to a third). Once you've set up MCE it will run fine without the analog tuner.

So figure closer to $300 for two tuners to get you going, unless you can borrow an analog tuner.

This is the only reasonable strategy for a new WMCE box with the HDTV Wonder at the moment.

As Steve said, once you get the WMCE box up and running, it's pretty stable and does the TiVo-like stuff very well. Most folks are pleased.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #724 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Thanks, Steve....That's the same direction I am leaning toward right now - Buy the HDTV Wonder and the WinTV-PVR USB2. I really don't like the idea of installing hacked drivers either, and I will probably find a use for the analog tuner with all of that added Tivo like functionality. I don't like the idea of an external box (I've got more than enough already ), and would have liked to find a PCIe X1 tuner, but although they have been announced as far back as January, I haven't found one that is actually shipping yet, much less one that is supported in MCE. So much for buying a mobo on the bleeding edge.

At the risk of sounding like an uninformed moderator again, does anyone know where I can find some answers as to data entry in My Movies? I have a DVD list of about 1500 titles, all done in Excel, and I was hoping that there would be a way to import the list into My Movies. I would really hate to enter all of these movie titles in one at a time all over again.
post #725 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the interface for importing, but My Movies uses an Access mdb database, so you could probably DIY if you have Access.
post #726 of 1857 Old 03-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Schauer
Bob, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the interface for importing, but My Movies uses an Access mdb database, so you could probably DIY if you have Access.

AND MyMovies supports import from DVDProfiler, so if there's anyway for you to get an excel db into DVDProflier............
post #727 of 1857 Old 03-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by wordgasm
AND MyMovies supports import from DVDProfiler, so if there's anyway for you to get an excel db into DVDProflier............

I happened across this: SuperNudelist - DVDProfiler2SNL

This zip file contains a VBScript with command-line options to import a DVDProfiler XML Export directly into List of your choosing. Users also have the ability to override both Genre (Artist) and DVD (Disc) names during import.

Maybe you could working on the VBscript to perform the import from excel into DVDProfiler?

Mike
post #728 of 1857 Old 03-28-2005, 01:13 PM

I see that the Sasem OnAir USB HDTV tuner is again available at Copperbox. According to the website, it will be selling the final production run of this unique device.

I notice that Copperbox is showing a "Microsoft MCE" icon on the product page for the OnAir. We know that the OnAir has not earned the certified for WMCE logo.

The specs for the OnAir claims that it support QAM for cable.

Has anyone had any experience with the OnAir USB HDTV tuner?

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #729 of 1857 Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Hey All,

Is anyone running into any CRASH problems with NVidia Video Cards and ATI's tuner cards? With my 6600GT, I've recently run into a problem where my system locksup only while watching a video stream in MCE.

To troubleshoot the situation, I replaced the 6600GT with my older 5900XT and although the crashing has been reduced, it's still happening. As a final test, I then replaced the 5900XT with a 9600XT and no more crashing...

So is the moral of the story? NVidia cards are unstable or is it a bad power supply?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Vidkidd
post #730 of 1857 Old 03-28-2005, 08:45 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

I'm not having any problem using an MSI 6600 GT and ATi HDTV wonder.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #731 of 1857 Old 03-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally posted by vidkidd
Hey All,

Is anyone running into any CRASH problems with NVidia Video Cards and ATI's tuner cards? With my 6600GT, I've recently run into a problem where my system locksup only while watching a video stream in MCE.

To troubleshoot the situation, I replaced the 6600GT with my older 5900XT and although the crashing has been reduced, it's still happening. As a final test, I then replaced the 5900XT with a 9600XT and no more crashing...

So is the moral of the story? NVidia cards are unstable or is it a bad power supply?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
Vidkidd

Could it be a driver problem? You indicate it's crashing with both 6600GT and 5900XT.
post #732 of 1857 Old 03-29-2005, 11:31 AM

So has anyone actually got the HDTV Wonder and Fusion card to work in MCE?

I have an:
Abit AI7 - 2.4GHZ P4 (HT Enabled)
1 GB ram (2 DIMM)
HDTV Wonder
AverMedia 1500 MCE

I want two HD and one analog - does anyone have a setup like that (without throwing out my HDTV Wonder)? I do not mind getting rid of my avermedia for a different analog card - just not the HDTV Wonder.

Thanks!!
post #733 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

GeekFunk...

I have the Sasem card.

It's HD functionality doesn't work with MCE yet. Don't know if it ever will.

It's SD functionality seems to work with MCE if you haven't installed the optional HDTV update.

Also, it's nice in the sense that If you have another SD tuner, you can run Sasem's software while MCE is running. I can't do that with the Fusion3 software.

-Beef
post #734 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 02:13 PM

does anyone know if it's possible to change the sound that plays when mce starts up? If so, can it play something like the THX intro sound?

Thanks
post #735 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
My machine was stable, I believe I tracked it down to my new DVI/HDMI cable. The longer cable changed the power requirements for my system and "pushed" it over the limits of what a 450 Watt power supply could handle.

Im going to swap out my cables and see if I eliminated my crashing this evening.

On a side note... My eyes may be fooling me... But the image quality on the ATI 9600XT "looks" better than the NVidia 6600GT. More testing and tweaking tonight.

Thx,
Vidkidd

Thx,
Vidkidd
post #736 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM

A cable will cause the machine to pull more watts? WOW!

I recently moved some cables around and now my plasma (Toshiba 42hp83) hums during certain HD images - is this the cable or maybe shielding is required?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #737 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Beamer310
does anyone know if it's possible to change the sound that plays when mce starts up? If so, can it play something like the THX intro sound?

Thanks

I want to say it's a resource in ehres.dll, which could be changed using Resoruce hacker, ResEdit, etc. If you are going to play around with editing it please backup before doing so.
post #738 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beefcake
GeekFunk...

I have the Sasem card.

It's HD functionality doesn't work with MCE yet. Don't know if it ever will.

It's SD functionality seems to work with MCE if you haven't installed the optional HDTV update.

Also, it's nice in the sense that If you have another SD tuner, you can run Sasem's software while MCE is running. I can't do that with the Fusion3 software.

-Beef

Beef

Is the Sasem USB card hardware encoding on the analogue side?

As I understand it, WMCE will not support an HDTV tuner without the presence of analogue tuner with hardware MPEG encoding.

It might be worthwhile installing an analogue tuner with hardware MPEG encoding before installing the Sasem tuner to see if that will do the trick.

post #739 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

I got my HDTV Wonder and TV Wonder USB 2.0 in today (I decided to take GeekFunk's advice... ), as well as my OEM copy of MCE 2005. Any last words of advice before I tackle this project over the weekend? Any recommendations on how to configure my four 250 gb SATA drives (I also have a single 80 gb PATA boot drive)? Any particular order to install everything, or just like any other Windows installation? Anything else I should be aware of before diving in?

Thanks to everybody for all of your help!
post #740 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM

TV wonder USB 2.0 is not supported by MCE 2005
you need a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2
post #741 of 1857 Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Wonderful...I bought the wrong one...Arghhh!
post #742 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

TV wonder USB 2.0 is not supported by MCE 2005
you need a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2

Ok, this is getting ridiculous! Which one of these products will work correctly under MCE:

WinTV USB2 External TV Tuner part #1020 - $99.99 (at CompUSA)
WinTV PVR2 USB Personal Video Recorder part #941 - $149.99 (also at CompUSA)

Neither one of these products is the EXACT same listing as the listing on the "Designed for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Logo Partner List". The list specifies:

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG TV Encoder

which matches that of kny3twalker, but does not match anything on the CompUSA site. Since I bought the TV Wonder USB 2.0 from CompUSA, I was hoping to be able to return it and exchange it for the correct (and cheapest) unit if possible. Why the heck is MCE so finicky about what hardware I choose to use? I mean, aren't all USB 2.0 tuners basically the same?
post #743 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Never mind....I looked at the picture closely on the CompUSA site, and it looks like they just misprinted the description (put the "2" in the wrong place). Well, it's off to CompUSA for an exchange...
post #744 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Bob,

When you do your install, remember that MS screwed up the installation prompts. At one or more points they ask for the Service Pack 2 disk to be inserted. There are two CDs, and no matter what the screen tells you the name of the disk should be, just always swap one with the other.

The other install tip is - do the OS install, do the hardware driver installs, DON'T install Hauppauge or ATI's TV software other than the hardware drivers, do the Windows Update, and THEN start Media Center and go through its setup.
post #745 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

When you do your install, remember that MS screwed up the installation prompts. At one or more points they ask for the Service Pack 2 disk to be inserted. There are two CDs, and no matter what the screen tells you the name of the disk should be, just always swap one with the other.

Got it!

Quote:

The other install tip is - do the OS install, do the hardware driver installs, DON'T install Hauppauge or ATI's TV software other than the hardware drivers, do the Windows Update, and THEN start Media Center and go through its setup.

Got it! I am planning on Ghosting an image after each step anyway, just because I have been through this so many times before... Now that I know the correct install order, I think I have a fighting chance...

Thanks, Steve!

P.S. - I finally have the right tuner, the Hauppage WinTV PVR USB 2 Personal Video Recorder. CompUSA didn't have the best price, but considering my blunder in buying the wrong card, I came out of it better than I thought I would.
post #746 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:

WinTV PVR2 USB Personal Video Recorder part #941 - $149.99 (also at CompUSA)

thats the correct one
post #747 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob Sorel
Wonderful...I bought the wrong one...Arghhh!

Welcome to my club ... I did the exact same thing!

Yeah, it's the $149 piece you need. Works quite well!

-Kevin
post #748 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Why would you buy a unit more expensive than the PVR-150?
post #749 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Why would you buy a unit more expensive than the PVR-150?

Because those of us with PCIe mobos don't have any available PCI slots, and no one seems to make an analog PCIe card....
post #750 of 1857 Old 03-31-2005, 06:26 PM

One sly note on purchasing under these circumstances. Some of these stores have a "satisfaction" guarantee; that is, a no questions return for full refund.

But, as Colin Powell said, "You break it, you own it."

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page