Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by gnollo
I typed "Media Center Edition" in the search engine and brings a series of results (including the remote control), one of them is the OEM single pack .

Thats really strange, I can get to it from your link and it shows the price in pounds but when I search for it everythings in dollars and it doesn't show up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 06:01 AM

Can MCE 2005 be changed to record in mpeg2 instead of DVR-MS.
I read some where it could be done but I can't find the web site again
Thanks
post #93 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 06:39 AM
COE

Does this have to be installed on a clean hard drive, or can it be installed on top of e.g. Win XP? In the past OEM versions required new/clean hard drives to install. I am rebuilding my PC now, and I was wondering if I should try out MCE - the plan is the PC will become a HTPC soon

Christian

---------
COE
Minds are like parachutes - in order to function they must be open
post #94 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bollingm
In regards to number 3. Can the person using the main TV watch live TV while the other person is also wathing live TV ( Dual Tuners )? Can both sides watch recorded TV? Can both sides get to the Music and Pictures as well?

Yes, yes, and yes.
post #95 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tkellytn
Can MCE 2005 be changed to record in mpeg2 instead of DVR-MS.
I read some where it could be done but I can't find the web site again
Thanks

If so it'd be something of a hack.

What *I* would be interested in, since DVR-MS *is* just mpeg-2 with added metadata, would be a util to strip that extra metadata to make a standard mpeg-2 file for editing, without the need to re-encode it...
post #96 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 02:21 PM

Ok, I have tried to digest this thread, and I am coming up short in a few areas that I would like to get clarified:

1. EXACTLY what steps do I need to take to get an HDTV Wonder installed in MCE 2005 and in what order?

- Do I have to install anything from the included CD, or does the HDTV Windows Update for MCE 2005 get me everything (assuming I only want to use the card inside of MCE).

- If I do need ATI drivers, do I install anything from the CD before installing the updated drivers from their site? (current as of 8/19/04)?

2. Either officially or unofficially, does the AIW 9800's analog tuner work? If unofficially, where do I get what I need for that? I saw reference to xpmce or something like that?

I would really appreciate some input from someone who has it working. Currently, I have MCE 2005 installed using an NVIDIA 6800 card for video, and a Hauppage 250MCE for analog. I also have a DVICO Fusion 3 in there, but it isn't working. I got some bad info that it would work from TGB.

I would like to know if I can get my AIW 9800 working on another computer I intend to install MCE 2005 on.

If anyone could speak to this, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Rob

----------------

"I'd rather die while I am living than live when I'm dead"
post #97 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Couldn't get to the bios but the hack in the registry has worked.
Fans stop now when I suspend, and the HTPC restarts from remote. I will test it tonight with a timed recording to see if it responds properly.
Is MCE multiregional as per dvd playback?
I need to install dvd regionkiller and make my Sony drive regionfree... no luck playing region1 dvds so far.
Installed latest NVidia drivers, no noticeable change for me.
Still having trouble with My music. All I want is for the damn thing to show album covers according to the folders I organised. It just does its own thing, creates new icons for a single track that it decides it should be shown on its own, and ignores the folder structure... mmhhh.
post #98 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

robroy-

Here are the steps I used to get the HDTV Wonder Installed

1. Install nothing from the CD
2. Go to ATI's website and download the first three packages under the hdtv wonder. Install each package. You don't need the MMC unless you're going to use outside of MCE
3. Install the card. Let windows do its thing. It will find several devices.
4. The BDA drivers are supposed to be on windows update (the real version) by now. If you set the install up right, it may go out and get the BDA drivers for you. If it didn't:
4. Anyway, after the card installs, check device mgr-you should see approx 4 items for the HDTV wonder under sound and video devices.
5. Launch explorer, go to windows update. If the BDA drivers didn't install above, you should see a (1) beside driver updates.
6. You may also get the HDTV roll-up for MCE here as well if you haven't already done that.
7. Reboot-check device mgr to amke sure everyhting is there, with no yellow ?
8. Launch MCE-you may have to set up you analog tuner again-or not.
9. You should see a "set up digital TV" option under settings>TV. Choose it and follow the prompts.

If you got to the launch MCE part and MCE doesn't find any TV tuners:

1. Exit MCE
2. In device manager, delete (uninstall) your analog card
3. reboot, let windows reinstall the driver for your hauppage card
4. Go back to MCE and try again.

The last part is what I have to deal with on every reboot using the ehomewonder along with the HDTV Wonder. Its been reported that the Hauppage cards can do the same.

good luck.

DirecTV + Antenna + 3 Locations = 325 feet of quad shield RG6. AARRGGHH!
post #99 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Alec
I'd like to extend the earlier posed question about the ATI All-In Wonder 9800's use in MCE2005, to ATI's AIW9X00 family. I think the drivers and behavior is similar.

So the questions are:

1. Can ATI All-In Wonder 9x00's analog tuner (or composite/S-video input) be recognized / used by the MCE2005, and if so, what are the steps to do so;

2. If one has both the ATI All-In Wonder 9x00 and an ATI HDTV Wonder, one has a total of 3 tuners (1 analog in AIW, 1 analog in HDTV Wonder, 1 digital in HDTV Wonder) and 2 analog video inputs. Which of these can be addressed / used in MCE2005 at the same time (i.e. for simultaneous recording or picture-in-picture) or at least recognized individually for switching amoing them? What drivers or install procedures are needed to enable this?

3. Can ATI's RemoteWonder 2 be programmed somehow to work as the Windows MCE remote control, and if so, what can and what can't be done?

Thanks
Alec

Alex, did you ever figure out the ATI 9x00 question?

As far as the RW2, you could use it with Girder to send commands to MCE

Mike
post #100 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 06:14 PM

After MUCH work (steps below) I have AIW 9800 pro and HDTV Wonder recording at the same TIME!! I can even watch a DVD while they are recording (or a previously recorded show!!) This thing ROCKS!! ATI MMC eats dust now

So steps:

1) Clean install of mce 2005 - while installing it will ask for disk two (insert disk 2). Then it will ask for "Windows XP Professionsal Service Pack2" - this is just disk one of MCE. Follow through the initialization and you are ready for step 2

2) Install MOBO drivers (sound, LAN, etc)

3) Run ALL updates - including mce 2005 rollup, etc. I mean ALL except for drivers (that comes later).

Things like .Net and the sort. Reboot after each install.

4) Now you will either see ? in the device manager for the HDTV wonder or you will not. If you do - unpack the cab file I have attached and use the drivers in the cab file. For each unknown device point the wizard to the unpacked directory and then reboot after all drivers are found.

5) Install the DTV Decoder from ATI's website: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/atiCDwiz4-0.exe It will ask you for the original CD that came with the HDTV Wonder - insert the CD and then follow the instructions. Then reboot.

6) Next get the kram hacked drivers for the AIW card from the following site:

http://www.xpmce.com/forum/ftopic88674.html

7) unpack the zip file and run setup from root directory - then after the setup is complete - Reboot

8) MCE will startup and ask for the drivers - point the wizard at the EHOMEAIW\\WDM_XP directory.

9) Point the setup to this directory for all the drivers needed. Now you are good to go (reboot again just to be safe).

10) No more unknown hardware errors should occur and you should be good to go.

11) MAKE sure that the antenna cables are attached.

12) Start up mediacenter and go to settings TV and setup the TV Tuners.

13) You will first configure the AIW and then the HDTV wonder.

Hope that helps some people!

Alec:

1) This will answer question #1

2) You can only reference the AIW tuner and the HDTV tuner on the HDTV Wonder (have not tried to address the analog tuner - but MCE has not given me the option anyway - so I guess no )

3) I use the HDTV wonder remote and the plugin from this web site:
http://remotew.free.fr/plugins.htm#MCE

All the best!
post #101 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Sounds like a great setup. Question--is this only for the MCE+HDTV wonder + Ehome tuner card?

What if I have a different tuner card? Will the hack still work?
post #102 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:27 PM

OOPS!!

Here are the HDTV Wonder drivers mentioned in the posting above.

4) Now you will either see ? in the device manager for the HDTV wonder or you will not. If you do - unpack the cab file I have attached and use the drivers in the cab file. For each unknown device point the wizard to the unpacked directory and then reboot after all drivers are found.

Sorry for that miss

hdtvwondermcedrivers.zip 146.0283203125k . file
post #103 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by scottb4u
Sounds like a great setup. Question--is this only for the MCE+HDTV wonder + Ehome tuner card?

What if I have a different tuner card? Will the hack still work?

The setup I defined above is for an AIW 9800 Pro and an HDTV Wonder
post #104 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gnollo
Couldn't get to the bios but the hack in the registry has worked.
Fans stop now when I suspend, and the HTPC restarts from remote. I will test it tonight with a timed recording to see if it responds properly.

I want to be able to hibernate my machine and have it wake up to record the shows.

I have an AIW 9800 Pro and an HDTV Wonder. I can schedule shows to record and it will record them fine. What does not work is if I hibernate the machine - it does not wake up to record the shows by itself.

When I create a task (Windows Task) to wake up the machine (to run a simple empty batch file) - it wakes up and records the show - but that is a manual process.

What extra step do I need to do when I setup a recording to tell it to wake from hibernation and then record the show at the scheduled time? I could not find this anywhere in the settings for recording or for the recording itself - please help!

Thanks!
post #105 of 1857 Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good and bad.
Good= after the registry hack, the PC is silent and wakes up from suspend, to record the program as scheduled
Bad= the recording was corrupted
More testing to be done, I can see a rollback looming at the horizon.
post #106 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 07:52 AM

Is there any kind of a hack or work around to get the HD Wonder working in MCE 2005 without an additional analog tuner?
post #107 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dantenatas
Is there any kind of a hack or work around to get the HD Wonder working in MCE 2005 without an additional analog tuner?

That's what I want to know as well. I just want to use a digital card.
post #108 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Today, ATI finally posted the new HDTV Wonder drivers on their website:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hdtv-wonder-4-10-2014.exe

So now we have both the E-Home and the HDTV Wonder drivers with a proper installer. So far so good, but both drivers are rather old, especially the E-Home dating back to June. Nevertheless, we should be happy that ATI now has them on their site officially.

The big issue where you have to reboot Windows several times before it finally detects the analog tuner still has not been fixed yet. This is something that, at least in my opinion, Microsoft has to work on, because it is happening with tuner cards from different manufacturers. Also, as posted earlier, it seems that you can disable the Fusion's analog tuner in the device manager, which seems to take care of the reboot issue. Unfortunately, you cannot do the same with the ATI HDTV Wonder, because both the analog and the digital tuner use the same driver (the third from the top/bottom, "Analog and Digital Tuner Device". If you disable that one, both the analog and the digital tuner stop working.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #109 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

I'm with you VBB. I like to reboot any PC every few days or so and going thru device manager, etc. slows that process down.

Does anyone have any sound out of your analog soundcard outputs when watching a digital channel thru the HDTV wonder? AC3Filter v.70 worked great for me on DVD and analog TV thru the ehome wonder, but I get nothing via analog outputs when I switch to a digital channel. Sound Card is an Audigy ZS. I've tried both versions of AC3Filter and the Nvidia Codecs (I'm using the decoder pack from the web site). I don't mind buying the TT package to get the Nvidia Decoders that do DD and DTS-but still think that AC3Filter should work. Its lamost like there is some other Decoder that comes into play when switching to a digital source in MCE.

Ideas?

DirecTV + Antenna + 3 Locations = 325 feet of quad shield RG6. AARRGGHH!
post #110 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick report. I am getting MCE crashes and freezes since I upgraded to the latest version of the Nvidia drivers. I wonder if it is time to roll back.
I have downloaded Sonic Prime Time. I had a little play and this is what I can report.
It allows you to burn to DVD a dvr-ms file to DVD from within MCE (using the remote). You cannot burn a DVD for standalone use from within MCE, you need to use keyboard and mouse (at least I havent found a way).
Of the recordings I had, one was too large for a DVD (2 hour movie) and would not be burned. There doesnt seem to be an option to resize the movie.
I am not too hot about that...
Also I made my drive regionfree using patched firmware and installed DVD Region Killer, and now I can play region 1 dvds via MCE.
post #111 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also I was having problems playing back dvr-ms files on my other HTPC via the network.
Downloaded the windows fix
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Guess what, I still have a problem.
post #112 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 PM

I posted this in the AC3 thread, but was wondering if perhaps this might be a better place to find an answer. Hopefully my other issues with AC3 can be answered there. Anyway, here goes.

i've just started playing with this stuff myself on MCE2005. okay, can someone take a stab at this. when launching the WMV-HD clips via media center, the DD5.1 lights up on my receiver. when launching the same clips via windows media player, it's just passing PCM audio. it also seems like all of the audio is coming out of all speakers, even though DD5.1 is lighting up.

any takers?

fish

"someone dropped a steamer in the gene-pool, now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception it's the rule" - fat mike
post #113 of 1857 Old 11-10-2004, 05:42 PM

I'm also experiencing another issue, which I can not figure out at all. I can not play DVD's via MCE, I get an error advising that the Video Decoder is corrupt or not functioning properly. I have no problems watching DVD's via PowerDVD. I did have the NVIDIA Decoder installed, thought that was the problem and uninstalled it. I feel like I'm so close to having the system just how I want it, but I'm going nuts trying to iron out these final bugs.

fish

"someone dropped a steamer in the gene-pool, now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception it's the rule" - fat mike
post #114 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know if anyone is interested but I picked up an Xbox Media Center Extender tonight at Future Shop here in Calgary (best buy also said they had some coming in this weekend). It came to $99cdn and included an IR adapter (same as the DVD one) and a remote (similar but not as nice as the stock MCE one) a CD for the MCE 2005 system and a DVD to use in the xbox.

Verdict? It installed quite easily and I was able to not only watch live TV (pause, stop, FFD etc.) but I was able to set recordings on the main box, playback recorded shows (perfectly I might add) and all the regular media management you would do.

Very nice to use, only PITA is having to put the disc in to start it, not a huge deal if it's that box's main task but annoying all the same. For the money it's not bad, especially if you take into account that you don't need to buy a DVD remote, so for $99 if you were planning on buying the DVD remote you could save $50-55 cdn.

I'm not sure how but this both sucks and blows...
post #115 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by poisson
I posted this in the AC3 thread, but was wondering if perhaps this might be a better place to find an answer. Hopefully my other issues with AC3 can be answered there. Anyway, here goes.

i've just started playing with this stuff myself on MCE2005. okay, can someone take a stab at this. when launching the WMV-HD clips via media center, the DD5.1 lights up on my receiver. when launching the same clips via windows media player, it's just passing PCM audio. it also seems like all of the audio is coming out of all speakers, even though DD5.1 is lighting up.

any takers?

fish

- how did you connect HTPC to amplifier, 6 analogues or SPDIF?
- is your amp set to DPII or similar?
- do you know that WMV-HD normally don't come with DD soundtrack, but have a analogue WMV track?
- what file did you try to play?
- isnt' it normal that music comes out of all speaker when DD5.1 is lit? Or do you mean it sounds like it is set to "hall" so the same sound effect comes out of all speakers, instead of surround effects?
post #116 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cowtown
Don't know if anyone is interested but I picked up an Xbox Media Center Extender tonight at Future Shop here in Calgary (best buy also said they had some coming in this weekend). It came to $99cdn and included an IR adapter (same as the DVD one) and a remote (similar but not as nice as the stock MCE one) a CD for the MCE 2005 system and a DVD to use in the xbox.

Verdict? It installed quite easily and I was able to not only watch live TV (pause, stop, FFD etc.) but I was able to set recordings on the main box, playback recorded shows (perfectly I might add) and all the regular media management you would do.

Very nice to use, only PITA is having to put the disc in to start it, not a huge deal if it's that box's main task but annoying all the same. For the money it's not bad, especially if you take into account that you don't need to buy a DVD remote, so for $99 if you were planning on buying the DVD remote you could save $50-55 cdn.

Download the codec checker from Microsoft, and see if that helps.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
I have just changed my codec to PowerDVD et voila, my other HTPC refused to play my recorded files from Media Center and now works.
Happy Days!
In the meantime I have removed the registry entry as it prevented MCE from recording again after suspend.
post #117 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 01:28 AM

Okay, so I did some more testing, installed PowerDVD 6.0 Deluxe, and voila, everything works. I was having some other issues that have been resolved as well.

I uninstalled the Nvidia Decoder, uninstalled my old version of PowerDVD. Before this, I had successfully gotten AC3 Filter to produce DD5.1 for divX/XviD files via Media Center only. With Windows Media Player I was only able to pass PCM, my receiver auto-switches when true DD5.1 is coming through. I'd had trouble with WMV-HD outputting 5.1, the receiver lit up, but i realized that DPLII was active on the receiver. Downloaded most of the WMV-HD clips and started testing with those, no luck. Also tried the WMA Pro 5.1 test clip which you can d/l, tried it and no luck.

The next problem I was having was the DVD Decoder error, indicating that the Decoder was not workign properly, this prevented me from watching DVD's with Media Center and with Media Player, no video.

Installed PowerDVD 6, checked the DVD playback, resolved. Checked to ensure that AC3 5.1 was being passed with DivX/Xvid, still working. Launch WMV-HD clips, DD5.1 lights up on my receiver and video plays no problem with 5.1 discreate channels.

I couldn't be happier.

by the way, I'm running a P4 2.0Ghz Dell Dimension 8200 with 1GB RDRAM PC800 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. I'm using a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card for audio. No stuttering on any of the 720p clips at all. I need to order some of these WMV-HD movies now that I've gotten this all working. Time to save for a new processor? Oh man.

Thanks for replying, I hope to contribute as much as possible to this thread.

fish

post #118 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have another possible question for the faq:

What is the maximum number of tuners supported by mce 2k5?

Anyone know?

Derek
post #119 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Derek K.
What is the maximum number of tuners supported by mce 2k5?

Officially, I believe it's 2 analog + 1 ATSC, but I've heard reports of 1 analog + 2 ATSC working fine, though that's not a "supported" configuration.
post #120 of 1857 Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
But 3 analog tuners isn't supported? Bummer, because I really thought 3 tuners would be handy. At least now I don't have to wait until nvidia's dual tuner card is available. :-)

Thanks,
Derek
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page