AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schauer
To program buttons on the remote control using the learning feature

1. Place the remote control for Media Center PC head to head (2 to 3 inches apart) with the remote from which it is learning.

2. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and hold the DVD MENU and OK buttons at the same time until the remote control lights turn off (2 seconds).

3. On the remote control for Media Center PC, press and release the TV, VOL+, or VOL- button, depending on which command you want it to learn.

4. On the remote control that is teaching the command, press and hold the button that you want the corresponding button on the remote control for Media Center PC to learn.

The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm the selection.

If the remote did not learn the command, the lights blink quickly four times. To try again, repeat steps 1 through 4.

To restore the default remote control settings

1. Press and hold the DVD MENU button and the LEFT navigation button at the same time until the remote control for Media Center PC lights turn off.

2. Press the OK button.

The remote control for Media Center PC lights blink twice to confirm that the buttons have been reset. The TV button will have no command assigned to it and the VOL+ and VOL- buttons will adjust the Media Center PC volume.

Mmmh, worked for me after many attempts.... is the mute supposed to be programmable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gnollo
mmmh, doesnt seem to work for me.... nothing happens if I press DVD Menu and OK. I see some flashing activity when I press DVD Menu and Left, but that is it....

It worked for me, but took two tries..shrug. (Specifically, I programmed the TV button to my LCD's power button)
post #183 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Genro, worked for me after a few attempts and tilting the remotes at impossible angles.
I have my power button controlling the amplifier. Since a friend of mine's appartment went up in flames because his TV decided to sizzle up while on standby, I always power off the TV completely. For the time being I have a CRT in my front room. [sorry going off topic here]
post #184 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by gnollo
is the mute supposed to be programmable?

According to stef_nl, it is not programmable.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #185 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 04:16 PM

I have scanned through the thread, but couldn't see a definitive answer.

I have a Dell 400SC 2.8GHz/800MHz server running a Hauppauge PVR-250 MCE, MCE 2004, and an AIW 9800 Pro. On the AIW I have the tuner, etc disabled in Device Manager.

If I get a copy of MCE 2005, can I now use my AIW 9800 Pro without trying to get into ATI's beta program, if that even exists anymore?

Will both tuners work, Hauppauge and the ATI AIW? I plan on connecting them both to analog cable feeds, as I am not worried about the digital channels. As a matter of fact, I don't even have my Time Warner STB integrated with my MCE 2004 setup.
post #186 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeepman
I have scanned through the thread, but couldn't see a definitive answer.

I have a Dell 400SC 2.8GHz/800MHz server running a Hauppauge PVR-250 MCE, MCE 2004, and an AIW 9800 Pro. On the AIW I have the tuner, etc disabled in Device Manager.

If I get a copy of MCE 2005, can I now use my AIW 9800 Pro without trying to get into ATI's beta program, if that even exists anymore?

Will both tuners work, Hauppauge and the ATI AIW? I plan on connecting them both to analog cable feeds, as I am not worried about the digital channels. As a matter of fact, I don't even have my Time Warner STB integrated with my MCE 2004 setup.

I had both a 250 and the AIW recording for some time - but took out the 250 - because I got the HDTV.

Anyway follow the steps I outlined within this thread - it works, the most important part is to get the kram hacked drivers for the AIW card from the following site:

http://www.xpmce.com/forum/ftopic88674.html
post #187 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 11:10 PM

I've read this thread, searched the forums here and at TGB but haven't found these answers. I've been dabbling with XLobby, Mainlobby, etc. and I'm hoping to have a touch screen setup with the GUI and the dvd, HD, pictures, etc. on my main Pioneer display. But I have not seem much about dual displays. Is this at all possible? Running the gui in one display (possibly controlled via remote desktop) and the output of the dvd player going to the second? This is definitely possible with the other software.

Second question - do I understand I can't use my USBUIRT as a blaster? So the only blaster is the MS packaged one? I could live with that if it works and I can program on or off macros, etc. Say I want to watch satellite, it tunes the receiver, changes tv and receiver input. Want to watch dvd - switch inputs and turn on my changer. Or am I asking too much of MCE here?

I'm afraid, in my reading, that this is all remote driven and the power button will turn on only one item. No macros. No dvd jukebox controlling, no input changing, etc. If so, then I'm likely stuck back with Mainlobby and it's price tag. It works fine with one dvd library having some ripped and others in the mega changer. It takes a little doing to get it setup, but it's sweet when it's there.

What are the thoughts on these items?

Thanks!
post #188 of 1857 Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 PM

Is it possible to play .ts/.tp transport streams in MCE (I have some recorded stuff from my MyHD card)? I have the NVidia decoders installed that are supposed to be able to handle it, but when I browse to the folder via "My Videos", it tells me there are no files that can be played in the folder.

-pischke
post #189 of 1857 Old 11-19-2004, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyway to change the mpg splitter used by MCE or WMP ?

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #190 of 1857 Old 11-19-2004, 07:11 AM

MCE 2005 ATI HDTV fix for analog tuner lost

For those who have MCE 2005 + ATI HDTV + another analog tuner with the analog tuner disappear everytime you reboot the machine. Here may be the fix for you, this requires you edit the register, so be extremely careful.

Change the dword value 'Disable' under the following key from 0 to 1

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentV
ersion\\Media Center\\Service\\Video\\Tuners\\{A799A800-A46D-11D0-A18C-00A02401DCD4}\\{A713877B-D9DE-478B-AA3F-80A370BF5F1E}

Double check that the DevName = ATI DTV Wonder Analog TV Tuner.

This fix works for me and I hope it works for you too.

Regards, Hien.
post #191 of 1857 Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kolvadw
In a way I have three tuners working... ehome wonder, HDTV Wonder and my DirecTV STB via the ehome's Svideo input. The MCE guide creates three number ranges for the three tuners so you can decide which tuner to select.

Still waiting on a fix for the eHome reboot issue though... I just de-install it before I do a reboot now...

Don

I was under the impression that MCE2005 would not support ATSC+NTSC+Svideo. Only ATSC+Svideo+Svideo OR ATSC+NTSC+NTSC.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong. This was the only reason that I hadn't already ordered it.

kolvadw, does this require some sort of hack??

Will work for HTPC components.
post #192 of 1857 Old 11-19-2004, 11:59 AM

Hi,

I borrowed the MCE 2004 remote and IR receiver from buddy of mine to try out on my new MCE 2005. Remote is working fine but according to the TV setup, I can't get pass the sat. screen, it complains about the IR blaster not found? I didn't have the IR emitter plugged into the receiver, but is the software that intelligent to tell the IR emitter is not there or I need to get MCE 2005 remote?

Thanks,

Simon
post #193 of 1857 Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by pischke
Is it possible to play .ts/.tp transport streams in MCE (I have some recorded stuff from my MyHD card)? I have the NVidia decoders installed that are supposed to be able to handle it, but when I browse to the folder via "My Videos", it tells me there are no files that can be played in the folder.

-pischke

I believe I got this to work by simply assigning the .TS extension in file associations to Media Player 10, OR I might have changed the extension to .mpg -- I cannot remember.

HOWEVER, for me this was still useless, since, similar to WMP10, I cannot find any way to tell playback to use a different PID (program stream), so for my recordings I end up getting the default PID played back, which on my local TV broadcasts is usually the SD feed not the HD feed.

If someone knows how to change this, I'm all ears!

-Jon
post #194 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 08:26 AM

Hello all. I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere in the FAQ, so I was wondering if someone could quickly answer this:

I would like to reformat my machine and install the OEM version of MCE today. I have purchased an MCE remote, but will not have it until next week. Will I be able to complete the MCE install without a remote, then set it up at a later time?

I would hate to reformat my machine and then not be able to get through the installation, leaving my machine pretty much useless until next week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Ripley29
post #195 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I did an install of MCE2005 with just the CD's and no MCE hardware.

Mike
post #196 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 08:32 AM

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated.

-Ripley29
post #197 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ripley29
I would like to reformat my machine and install the OEM version of MCE today. I have purchased an MCE remote, but will not have it until next week. Will I be able to complete the MCE install without a remote, then set it up at a later time?

The install doesn't need the remote at all, except when/if you are setting up the IR blaster for controlling a cable or satellite set top box. You can skip by that part and rerun it when your remote shows up, or go ahead and go through the IR setup and just lie when it asks you if channel changing etc for the set top box is working. Everything will work fine with just the mouse.
post #198 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 01:04 PM

While it is possible to use MCE 2005 without a remote, I didn't find it pleasurable. I ordered the software 2 weeks ago to convert my unofficial mediacenter in to the real thing and figured that (since I have a working wireless keyboard and wireless mouse) I "didn't need no stinkin' remote". After installation, I was able to use MCE just fine, but I felt like something was missing, so I ordered the remote!

Everything works A LOT smoother with the remote instead of no remote. Clicking with the mouse on the on-screen play and ff/rw buttons that popped up was sluggish for me and sometimes crashed the computer if I clicked more that 3 times quickly in a row. I also could not scroll completely up and down. For instance, to play a dvd, I could see the button for it at the very top, but I'd have to click on online spotlight first, then go back and then click on play dvd.

Since I got the remote, MCE feels as polished as a "Lexus" {insert your idea of a luxury car here}.
post #199 of 1857 Old 11-20-2004, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I love the Media Center remote much better than my old ATI Remote Wonder. I'll take the IR over the RF any day. The IR receiver it comes with has a great line of site angle. At times the RF of my remote wonder wouldn't work and I'd have to hit the buttons several times, not so with the MCE remote. The backlight is also real nice and it has a better quality feel vs the remote wonder. I'm really liking MCE 2005 and I've barely even scratched the surface yet.
post #200 of 1857 Old 11-21-2004, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was having a look at the RME website (soundcards).
I was looking at the digi96pa.
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm
As you can see below, the drivers of the RME seem to support Asio native in the driver properties window.
I really would like ASIO over SPDIF as that is how I am currently playing my music via MCE. Can anyone confirm that using the digi96 pad you could bypass the kmixer using the Asio functionality of the driver, giving a more accurate and musical passthrough?

In the UK, it is for sale at 280GBP, in the US as usual, available @ 299 USD. RIPOFF BRITAIN!

According to comments I found here, RME cards bypass the KMixer by default. Which is why it is very difficult to hear the difference between Waveout and ASIO.
So maybe the whole ASIO effort would be useless with RME?
Should I just get this card and forget about Kmixer and Asio, to play back music over SPDIF (optical connection)?

According to Branxx in this thread, "There are two sound cards that are known to have drivers written to avoid KMIXER issues. They are: STAudio DSP24 (http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp24/index.html)(or Mk II) RME DIGI96 Series (http://www.rme-audio.de/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm) (PAD or PST)
STAudio card is hardware almost identical to M-Audio delta series (to the degree that STAudio Windows XP driver can be used with M-Audio Delta cards). This card is also the cheaper. If money is no object, going for RME is almost sure winner.
STAudio uses RCA jacks for analogue out, while RME uses a single ΒΌ jack"
post #201 of 1857 Old 11-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Hi,

For my music collection, I store them in this order:

Artist - folder
CD Album Title - folder
mp3 songs under CD title

MCE seems to pick them up just fine, however, I get no CD cover image. For every CD I have, I store an image called "Album Cover.jpg" within the CD album folder. Not sure how MCE retrieves cover images?

Also, for some strange reason, I can't browse any of the pictures through MCE. It comes up empty. These are TIF and JPEG files.

One final question, I don't have the IR blaster yet but when I select SAT for TV source, I can't complete the wizard as it complains about the IR is not present, NEXT button is GRAYED OUT. Any way to bypass this?

Thanks,

Simon
post #202 of 1857 Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Liked: 14
They need to be named "folder.jpg"
post #203 of 1857 Old 11-21-2004, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I renamed all of my covers "folder.jpg", but it MCE still downloads some of the covers... I have a feeling that there is a minimum file size or resolution that is required to stop MCE from downloading the covers from the internet... I will test tomorrow.
post #204 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 05:14 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Anyone know why I can't see .avi files using MCE 2005? I have the proper codecs installed to play it in WMP10, but if I try to browse to the files using MCE, it just says that the folder they are stored in is empty.

Thanks,
CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
post #205 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

New, unexplained behavior:

I popped in one of my WMVHD Disks (Step Into Liquid) to make sure MCE could acquire the license ans see if playback looked any different from my old HTPC-also, wanted to hear what WMAPro sounded like over the anolog outs (old HTPC was Soundstorm equipped). Here are the oddities:

1. Once the movie starts, I lost all access to any menus-mouse or remote. In fact, to stop the movie I had to do a hard reboot.
2. I get nothing across the analog out puts of the soundcard (Audigy2ZS)
3. From SPDIF, I get DD5.1? This is what my recevier is telling me. Running the sound set-up from the WMVHD disk seems to bak it up-but it seems like its doing this in software-there are a few seconds at start-up with no sound then the sound "catches-up". So there are no synch problems once you get going. It sounds good-but why the lack of WMAPro across the analog outs?

Any ideas about this behavior (especially #1)? If anyone else has different sound hardware, I'd be interested to hear your results.

I'm using the PowerDVD decoders, but wouldn't they be bypassed for WMV-HD content? Or is the PowerDVD Audio decoder doing the DD5.1 encoding?

Interesting.....

Robert

DirecTV + Antenna + 3 Locations = 325 feet of quad shield RG6. AARRGGHH!
post #206 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 06:28 AM

CJO,
What codec are you using for avi's? MCE is very picky about codecs. Try using just the Xvid one, or FFdshow.
post #207 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

3Rob3,

How is your Fusion doing? I can tune digitalstations with it but the playback is very jerky in MCE, not in the Fusion app. I'm using the DVICO app.
post #208 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 AM

My Fusion card works great on all stations but one (my local CBS affiliate). It is jerky on that channel. I'm not sure if they are broadcasting differently, or it is just because it is my weakest signal. The weird thing is if I switch to the Fusion app it is very smooth. At least now it seems I won't have to kill all the MCE processes to run it (their latest driver claims to fix this, haven't tried it yet though).
post #209 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 AM

My Fusion card works great on all stations but one (my local CBS affiliate). It is jerky on that channel. I'm not sure if they are broadcasting differently, or it is just because it is my weakest signal. The weird thing is if I switch to the Fusion app it is very smooth. At least now it seems I won't have to kill all the MCE processes to run it (their latest driver claims to fix this, haven't tried it yet though).
post #210 of 1857 Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 3rob3
CJO,
What codec are you using for avi's? MCE is very picky about codecs. Try using just the Xvid one, or FFdshow.

Thanks- don't remember off the top of my head (I think I used ace's mega pack to get all the codecs), but I'll change it to ffdshow if that's not what is being used now.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page