MyHD TimeShift™ Beta2 posted - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 895 Old 01-04-2005, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm. I've been using the latest beta since it was available, with no problems.

However, in the last few days I have experienced a total lockup of my Win2k system while using time shift. No BSOD or anything, just a total lockup; mouse cursor won't move.

In both cases, I was a few seconds from the end of the timeshift buffer and I pressed 4 (2xrewind) to skip back.

TV screen went blank and PC monitor locked up.

Hard reset was the only way out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 895 Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"In both cases, I was a few seconds from the end of the timeshift buffer and I pressed 4 (2xrewind) to skip back."

Don't do that! Give the application a chance to find the time stamp for a normal jump before giving another command or change the REW jump time in the setup.
post #303 of 895 Old 01-04-2005, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
JG--

Uh..."a few seconds" from which end of the buffer?
post #304 of 895 Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Uh..."a few seconds" from which end of the buffer?
Quote:

Don't do that! Give the application a chance to find the time stamp for a normal jump before giving another command or change the REW jump time in the setup.
In both cases, I was running a few seconds behind time (near the end of the buffer), and had been for a while. My REW jump is set to 10 seconds; I don't believe I gave more than one command; I was running fine; the picture was stable; I needed to rewind a few secs and bang....lockup.
post #305 of 895 Old 01-04-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You said "I pressed 4 (2xrewind) to skip back" and that is more than one command.
post #306 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 AM

Sorry for the confusion.

I have the numeric keys set to work like in file play. Hitting the 4 key causes a rewind of 2 times the normal rewind time (OSD displays "Rewind x2").

I have a two hour timeshift buffer; I was running a few seconds before the end of it and hit the 4 button once to rewind 20 seconds (my rewind time is set to 10 secs).

Thanks.
post #307 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard_P_Harvey
I feel stupid asking this but I just installed this "time shift" version yesterday and it seems to be working but I'm not exactly sure how to use it. What I want to be able to do is simple enough. Watching a show, phone rings, press pause, return and start watching where I paused it. I just can't seem to figure out what I need to do (press) to make all that take place. The little backwards scroll bar, the second scroll bar in the overlay window, I just don't get it. Must be the massive quantities I consumed over the holidays.

Can someone please put this in simple terms a bozo like me can understand.

Thanks,

The Bozo
Assuming you have timeshifting enabled in some fashion, you need to hit pause twice. The first time activates the timeshifting recording. The second time actually pauses it. Hitting play obviously wiould start it again, and hitting stop will stop the recording of the timeshifting files.
post #308 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gruss
Sorry for the confusion.

I have the numeric keys set to work like in file play. Hitting the 4 key causes a rewind of 2 times the normal rewind time (OSD displays "Rewind x2").

I have a two hour timeshift buffer; I was running a few seconds before the end of it and hit the 4 button once to rewind 20 seconds (my rewind time is set to 10 secs).

Thanks.
What happens if you shorten the buffer to say 45-60 minutes?
post #309 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Karyk
Assuming you have timeshifting enabled in some fashion, you need to hit pause twice. The first time activates the timeshifting recording. The second time actually pauses it. Hitting play obviously wiould start it again, and hitting stop will stop the recording of the timeshifting files.
Actually you have discribed On-Demand TimeShift. With Full-Time TimeShift enabled you press the Pause button once to pause live TV.
post #310 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by netman
What happens if you shorten the buffer to say 45-60 minutes?
No idea; sorry. This is not something I can easily reproduce (nor do I really want to reproduce it). It has happened twice in the last few days. All I can do (if that is the recommendation) is reduce the buffer size and wait and see if it happens again.

Thanks,
post #311 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM

Currently using beta2.
Timeshifting appears to work as described.
I would like to suggest a feature:
- Give me the option of saving a segment of timeshifted video.

For example, provide a dialog that allows me to select a time range either relative to the "Live" point, or real time as coded in the video.

Or let me do it by 1) pressing the "Record" button as I am viewing timeshifted video to specify the start point, and 2) either pressing "Record" again or pressing "Stop" to specify the stop point.

Thanks
post #312 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lhumbird
Currently using beta2.
Timeshifting appears to work as described.
I would like to suggest a feature:
- Give me the option of saving a segment of timeshifted video.

For example, provide a dialog that allows me to select a time range either relative to the "Live" point, or real time as coded in the video.

Or let me do it by 1) pressing the "Record" button as I am viewing timeshifted video to specify the start point, and 2) either pressing "Record" again or pressing "Stop" to specify the stop point.

Thanks
You already have the ability to record during TimeShift. At this point you can't TimeShift during the recording.
post #313 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jldet5
I've been running the new beta as of today for a few hours. For some reason the OSD flipped out and was showing . Only a restart of the computer would correct it. At the time I was not using timeshift. No idea how I got it to do that.
I experienced that last night. Reboot didn't change it. Also tried re-installing the MyHD driver and changing video driver settings. Still have a yellow/black OSD box.
post #314 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
You already have the ability to record during TimeShift. At this point you can't TimeShift during the recording.
I want to check to see whether or not we're talking about one specific feature: I think another way to describe what I'd like as part of TimeShift is the ability to edit (save to another file) a piece of the video.

If that feature is already supported, it wasn't obvious to me, and as far as I could tell, not documented. I'll try it tonight.
post #315 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lhumbird
I want to check to see whether or not we're talking about one specific feature: I think another way to describe what I'd like as part of TimeShift is the ability to edit (save to another file) a piece of the video.

If that feature is already supported, it wasn't obvious to me, and as far as I could tell, not documented. I'll try it tonight.
No that is not what I'm talking about! I'm also not taking request for new features at this time.

If you want to record while MyHD is in TimeShift mode just press the record button and the stop button when you're ready to stop recording. That recording will be placed in a different folder than the TS buffer and be named according to how you setup Record Now in Config Panel.

If you set TS to preserve the buffer files you can do whatever with the resulting file and/or files.
post #316 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This one hasn't been pinned down to TimeShift, so I'm not expecting a 'solution', really, just a post in case someone sees something similar.

I'm running full TimeShift with preserve. I leave my machine on 7/24. Occasionally I'll need to pop the overlay for a few seconds (geeze, I wish there was a quick and easy way to pop/de-pop the overlay, but that would be a feature request, so never mind that). I never leave overlay on, though.

Twice in the last two days I have done my usual VNC into the machine, and have been met with no / very slow response. A visit to the closet shows the machine is at a crawl. I can't even get task manager to come-up (it says there's not enough room to run anything I try to run, including task manager). So I reboot and everthing is back to normal. There's 1GB free on 'C:' and my TS directory is on 'G:'.

If it happens again, I'll see if I can gather better info, but for now, I'm leaving it configured the same way.

--Dale--
post #317 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I will bite; what does "pop the overlay" mean?

BTW: I gig free is cutting it close. It may even be your problem.
post #318 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sengsational
(geeze, I wish there was a quick and easy way to pop/de-pop the overlay....)
<ctrl><shft><o> ;)
post #319 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, so he means pop open the overlay window?
post #320 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dale--

Regarding the slowdown, sounds like MyHD app has a memory leak that you're bumping into because of leaving it on all the time. Try exiting the app once a day to squash that. Perhaps you can automate such behavior with Windows Task Scheduler. (I won't berate you here about such blatent disregard for energy conservation and will just think my "tsk, tsk". :D)
post #321 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by netman
OK, so he means pop open the overlay window?
That was how I read it....
post #322 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
That was how I read it....
OK, Thanks.

As for as memory leak, I leave MyHD open on 2 machines 24/7. They don't have large amounts of RAM on them and they can go for weeks without a problem. That does NOT mean he does not have a combination that has become leaky but it would seem less likely.

I would not a run a machine with 512 or more ram with only 1 gig of drive space free. It would also help to know what else runs 24/7 on the machine.
post #323 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Andy--

"I leave MyHD open on 2 machines 24/7." (Tsk, tsk)^2 :D
post #324 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPeterson
Andy--

"I leave MyHD open on 2 machines 24/7." (Tsk, tsk)^2 :D

Heck, I have a third machine that runs 24/7 plus a Tivo! I may as well go straight to hell and not pass go!

On the other hand as I drive my 35 MPG car 100 mile round trip to work each day (ugh) there is a guy who drives a similar ride in a Hummer! He only ever has himself in the thing! I bet he gets a (Tsk, tsk)^3!
post #325 of 895 Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, no. N>>3. :( ...but I guess we were talking about TimeShift, huh? Sorry, Cliff.
post #326 of 895 Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 AM

Has anyone else noticed the extremely fragmented saved files with this build?

I defragged my capping hd last night, it had 70 gigs free out of a 250 gig drive, I recorded lost and alias tonight and I made sure that I had disabled timeshift yet my recorded transport stream is once again extremely fragmented. So much so that I can't play the file till i copy it to another drive (thereby defragging it). Each 1.95 gig file has 20,000 fragments.
post #327 of 895 Old 01-06-2005, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Versa
Has anyone else noticed the extremely fragmented saved files with this build?

I have seen nothing like this. I have my transport stream file capture size set to 27 gig so anything I ever record will still fit in one file. I have my TS buffer set to 45 minutes and "on demand". I have not defragged this drive EVER and not one of my capture files (8 gig 1 hour shows) is over 10 fragments. The most fragmented file on the drive was left by another MyHD over the network. It was a small 400 MB capture I did on the spur of the moment and it has 160 fragments and plays fine even over the network. The OS controls the file system not MyHD. This drive is 160 Gig by the way and is not the boot drive. The drive has been in use at least 6 months. File system is NTFS.
post #328 of 895 Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjchmura
Cliff,

Can we look forward to any more fun "upgrades"??? So far this is all fabulous!!!
Steve,

Now that CES is officially open I guess I’m relieved of my NDA with MIT because they are showing a third generation MyHD MDP-130 card at the show.

The new MDP-130 card is slightly smaller (by ½â€), uses less power, and uses the ATI NXT2004 8VSB/QAM tuner for improved reception.
post #329 of 895 Old 01-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Steve,

Now that CES is officially open I guess I’m relieved of my NDA with MIT because they are showing a third generation MyHD MDP-130 card at the show.

The new MDP-130 card is slightly smaller (by ½â€), uses less power, and uses the ATI NXT2004 8VSB/QAM tuner for improved reception.
Sweet! I assume that the "QAM" in there refers to unencrypted digital cable? Since I'm surrounded by trees I'm always looking for better reception. Any word on what the price will be when initially offered (and when)?
post #330 of 895 Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FDM80
Sweet! I assume that the "QAM" in there refers to unencrypted digital cable? Since I'm surrounded by trees I'm always looking for better reception. Any word on what the price will be when initially offered (and when)?
The MDP-130 will tune unencrypted QAM from digital cable. I'm testing a prototype MDP-130 card and I'm able to tune 11 digital channels on my Comcast cable. All 3 network rebroadcast channels, MSNBC, On-Demand Preview channel and 6 VOD channels.

I have no idea of the cost and when the new cards will ship to dealers. I'm waiting for more cards to be built for my beta testers and we still need more work on the software.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page