Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I came across an Avisynth scripts called LimitedSharpen a couple weeks back, it was intended for pre-processing video but I tried it for post processing via ffdshow with surprising results. Unfortunately it is a powerful script that takes a lot of processing power and a lot of people were unable to make use of it. That got me looking for a better way and I think I found it.

I found a freeware encoder and freeware DVD software that allows you to re-encode your DVD’s with ffdshow and even more powerful Avisynth scripts improving the image quality.

Here are some before and after screens from Starwars Episode 1

Normal DVD image

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/8504/y7ib5normal.jpg

DVD re-encoded with filtering

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/7421/q5hb5filtered.jpg

Normal DVD image

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/5553/t5mobinormal.jpg

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/4051/w4dobifiltered.jpg

Normal DVD image

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/5378/p8dpadanorm.jpg

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/9707/e0lpadafilt.jpg

Normal DVD image

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/7307/Normal.jpg

This is with LimitedSharpen+Denoise3d on the fly in Zoomplayer

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8149/Uber-tone-down.jpg

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/8649/m5xiipyoda.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The first thing to do is download and install the needed software;

You are going to need:
Avisynth 2.5

With the following Avisynth plugins

MaskTools v1.5.5
ColorMatrix
WarpSharp
Dust
LoadpluginEX ( zip contains three versions the middle one worked for me.)
Undot

You will also need these runtime dll's
Runtime 71 ( now included in the scripts.zip see next post)

You will need either Latest non SSE/SSE2 version of ffdshow or the July 9th SSE/SSE2 version of ffdshow

Next

Download latest DVD Rebuilder installer which includes freeware encoders, also download the help files there if you are intrested. Also go to the DVD Rebuilder Plugins and download RB-OPT and any other plugin you might want to try. If you have a home LAN you might want to try the RB farm plugin which will allow you use all the pc's on your home network to assist in the encoding process.

Next download

DGDecode

DVD Decrypter This is for ripping your DVD to your harddrive if you don't already have a ripper.

After you have downloaded the software install it best if in this order:

1, Avisynth
2, Avisynth plugins (Put only the dll files in your Avisynth/plugins folder and do not use the loadplugin dll that come in the Warpsharp package use the one in the other loadplugin zip you downloaded)
3, ffdshow
4, DVD rebuilder ( After installing it may not find encoders when you try to launch them so you may have to delete the rebuilder.ini in your DVD Rebuilder directory, restart program and go to options/setup and tell it where your encoders are again. The installer installs the encoders to the DVD Rebuilder directory by default which are QuEnc and Rejig.)

Check out this guide on DVD Rebuilder for more in-depth information on installing and using DVD Rebuilder.
post #3 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Once all software is installed you have to make sure that ffdshow will output to YV12 so copy this text to Notepad and save it as YV12.reg. Then go to where you save it to and double ckick on it and it will set ffdshow as the default for YV12 output. ( this only works for 2000/XP users)

Quote:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Drivers32]
"VIDC.YV12"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\ffdshow\\ffdshow.ax"
Next,

Thanks to warlordbb hosting the files you can downlload this Scripts.zip it contains the IIP script, Limited sharpen script, and call scripts for both IIP and IIP plus Limitedsharpen, Limitedsharpen2, and other scripts used through out this thread plus the runtime dlls needed. Install IIP and LimitedSharpen avs files to your Avisynth\\plungins directory and use the original call script for the original IIP and the hacked call script for the IIP/ LimitedSharpen version.

This is an IIP script created by the same person who made the LimitedSharpen script, the creators name is Didee and real sharpening guru if you ask me.

If you followed the DVD reBuilder guide and have your DVD ripped, input and out put folders set you are ready to proceed.

The encoder I am using is QuEnc; So open DVD rebuilder, set mode to QuEnc, and uncheck onclickmode, then under Options/Quenc use Trellis Quant, High Quality mode, and Scene detection. Then go to Options/Avs Options/ uncheck converttoYUY2 and AudioDub. Now go to Options/AVS options/Advanced(expert)Options->Disable "Interlaced"->Apply to All( If the film is of course Progressive). Finally under Options/AVS options/Advanced(expert)Options/ Filter editor copy and paste the corresponding call script to which ever IIP version you chose in the editor save and exit: ( if your Avisyth install location is not C:\\Program Files\\AviSynth 2.5 you will have to change script to match your install location)
post #4 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now you should be ready to go, select the largest VTS file, on the left you can uncheck any un-needed audio or subs then hit the prepare button.
After the prepare is done you can open up the RB-Opt program, click on load settings and migrate to your output directory and open the Rebuilder.inf file then you can click on the global options and see the estimated size the new encoded version will be and adjust compression accordingly. ( remember the more you compress the lower the image quality) When done if you made any changes save setting in RB-Opt, exit, and hit encode.

You can check out the progress after the first M2V file has completed encoding by viewing it via your software DVD player however you will not have sound until after it have finished encoding the whole DVD and it has been rebuilt.

On Sound

The default sound for the QuEnc encoder is AC3 @ 256 but you can change it to 384 by opening Quenc prior to encode and changing the settings

Mine final encodes turn out much bigger even with stuff stripped out, for instance SW EP1 is a dual layer DVD and its a little over 8 gigs but after stripping and re-encoding it is almost 11 gigs so I will have to split it in to two parts. This is no big deal if you are just storing to your harddrive but if you only have a single layer burner things might get tight.

Be warned there is a drawback to this procedure!

The drawback is time, it took about 30 hours to complete SW EP1, I mostly did it and night and when I was away during the day so it took about 3 days off and on but it is a dual layer 8+gig single layer DVDs would take half that.

Other notes:

To speed up the process you might want to try a program called
DVD Shrink to cut out audio, trailers, subtitles, extras in the DVD you don't need before you send it to DVD Rebuilder.

If you have a single layer burner but want to re-encode a dual layer DVD you might want to get a program called DVDFab Platinum it will split the dual layer DVD into two parts so you can re-encode and burn it to two single layer DVD's. However everything I posted to this point has been freeware but DVDFab you will have to purchase.
post #5 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
All the pictures look exactly the same to me. Are you sure you posted the right ones?
post #6 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are different, look at the background in the Obi-Wan picture. The original is slightly more grainy in the flat color areas. Definitely subtle differences, but I'm sure they'd be more pronounced on a very large display.
post #7 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, I can see the difference- especially in the background.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #8 of 210 Old 12-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

anymore about this? :)
post #9 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elvislives
They are different, look at the background in the Obi-Wan picture. The original is slightly more grainy in the flat color areas. Definitely subtle differences, but I'm sure they'd be more pronounced on a very large display.
Yes I am using subtle settings here and even with them you can see it sharpens the image a bit and removes most all noise and grains without degrading the detail. If you tried to remove that much noise and grain with denoise3d you would wipe out a lot of detail in the process.

You can increase the effect of the filters by changing the ss1_x=, ss1_y= , ss2_x=, ss2_y=, parameters from 1.5 to 2.0, the ss stands for "Super Sampling", this will also slow encodes down a little more. You can also increase the sharpening strength by changing the Xstren= parameter you can go from 0-100. Both are modified in the smaler script that you put in the filter editor in DVD Rebuilder.
post #10 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Almost forgot;

Anything in ffdshow runs after the Aviscript has run in DVD-Rebuilder so if you are using ffdshow in some capacity to watch DVD movies like via Zoomplayer you will need to uncheck all your filters and stuff before you encode your DVD’s because they will affect the outcome.

However the ability to use filters in ffdshow during the re-encoding process opens the gate for a lot of experimentation. You could if you wanted to use a combination of ffshow filters, Dscaler filters, and second Avisynth script via ffdshow-avisynth, and although I have not tried it yet but you could even include Virtualdub filters via the “
LoadVirtualDubPlugin†call in a ffdshow/Avisynth script. Just remember the more you filter the longer the encoode wil take to process.
post #11 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Left out that the runtime files go in your Windows/System32 folder!

Sorry about that!
post #12 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 PM

Nice work, Socio! What's up with the ringing (?) along the black borders in the first two sets of pics?

Thanks,
jawgee
post #13 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you mean those thin vertical lines they are part of the original dvd image.

If you get those lines you have to crop them off, then replace the black borders to keep the proper AR. It is best done by putting the following text in your ffdshow/avisynth box. (Also make sure only YV12 and YUY2 are the only thing checked in ffdshow/avisynth.)

Quote:
crop(0,58,0,-58)

ColorMatrix()

AddBorders(0,56,0,56)
post #14 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 02:48 PM

socio,

can this process be called from within a normal virtualdubmod session? it seems like it is just a set of scripts, so i would suspect yes. then you could use either mpeg4 or wmv to get a bit more compression for storing the file on the hdd, and keep the original ac3 file.

what processor do you have that took 30 hours?

k
post #15 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a P4 3.06 processor and although I have not tried it I believe you can use it in Virtualdubmodnot sure though. I know that Virtual dub filters can be used in Avisynth not 100% sure about the reverse which would have to happen as thoses scripts make calls to several Avisynth filters.

However I am trying for the least amount of compression for the highest quality output I can get even if I have to split a dual layer DVD in to two dual layer DVD's to do it. :D
post #16 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Liked: 14
People would take the time to do this for more EE? That second picture of obi wan looks like he was photochopped into the frame because the outline is so harsh.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #17 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzRoy
People would take the time to do this for more EE? That second picture of obi wan looks like he was photochopped into the frame because the outline is so harsh.
Nope, not "photochopped" the filters consider the lines as part of the image so they just get sharpened and enhanced along with the rest of the image.

Besides that most people who frequent this forum would not fall for a photoshoped enhanced image anyway so I would be a fool to try.

Oh and what is EE?
post #18 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A new version of DVD -Rebuilder was released today 0.67, get it here .
post #19 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is another before and after from SW EP1 so you can see what kind of detail enhancement you can achieve.

Going to start re-encoding LOTR next which already has very clean image quality and see what difference the filters make with it.

Normal DVD image

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/9325/t3ynosharp.jpg

DVD backup re-encoded with filters

http://img3.exs.cx/img3/9923/u8pxtrasharp.jpg
post #20 of 210 Old 12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see the differences for sure, but man is that alot of work...At that rate,maybe going digital would give one the same results..Or the appearance of a sharper image.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #21 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey brickie,

Have not seen you post here in a while,

The initial setup takes a little work but once in place it is just a matter of ripping your DVD to your hard drive and re-encoding. It is also easy to stop and re-start later so it is never in the way.
post #22 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I can see the subtle difference, but it looks like nothing more than a noise reduction filter applied (Then cleaner backgrounds in the Obi-Wan shot for example), then a sharpness filter.

I can accomplish most of the same with TMPGEnc's built in Noise Reduction filter. Granted, it multiplies the encoding time by a huge factor, but works wonders on noisy video footage.
post #23 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The source (SW: TPM) is notorious for it's high amount of edge enhancement, which Lucasfilm and ILM has never admitted to. However, Socio's procedure definitely seems to have removed a lot of the ringing/halos from the picture. Very nice!

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mntneer
I can see the subtle difference, but it looks like nothing more than a noise reduction filter applied (Then cleaner backgrounds in the Obi-Wan shot for example), then a sharpness filter.

I can accomplish most of the same with TMPGEnc's built in Noise Reduction filter. Granted, it multiplies the encoding time by a huge factor, but works wonders on noisy video footage.
Didee's scripts do nothing that simple, if you were to just use a noise reduction filter and turn it up enough to remove that much noise you would also loose a good bit of detail. Likewise, if you were to apply a sharpening filter, at least all the ones I have ever tried and I have about tried them all, you would not be able to gain that much detail and not produce more noise in the process. What Didee has done is successfully blended the best noise reduction process with the best sharpening process that gives you the cleanest image with virtually no detail loss or image degradation and for free no less.

You really have to try it and see it on a large screen to appreciate it, but I have to warn you once you have done it you won't go back to normal DVD backups again.
post #25 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the great find, you are definitely one of the members that helps make this a great forum.

I will most likely spend the time setting this up, but do you forsee this process ever being bundled into one software app? Kind of like a Pinnacle Copy or something.

-------------------------
Otter
post #26 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Socio
Didee's scripts do nothing that simple, if you were to just use a noise reduction filter and turn it up enough to remove that much noise you would also loose a good bit of detail. Likewise, if you were to apply a sharpening filter, at least all the ones I have ever tried and I have about tried them all, you would not be able to gain that much detail and not produce more noise in the process. What Didee has done is successfully blended the best noise reduction process with the best sharpening process that gives you the cleanest image with virtually no detail loss or image degradation and for free no less.

You really have to try it and see it on a large screen to appreciate it, but I have to warn you once you have done it you won't go back to normal DVD backups again.
Have you tried encoding some standard MPEG captures? Like something from a TV tuner card?

I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my captures. So far, TMPGEnd has proved to be outstanding with even the worst clips, but I'm always willing to give something new a try.
post #27 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

guys I've started a new thread about riniging with K-Pax.....could you please help me with that?

:)

Thanks
post #28 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mntneer
Have you tried encoding some standard MPEG captures? Like something from a TV tuner card?

I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my captures. So far, TMPGEnd has proved to be outstanding with even the worst clips, but I'm always willing to give something new a try.
Not yet, I have a Fusion3 HD card and am planing on doing that but not for a couple days when my first LOTR re-encode is finished.
post #29 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by otter
...do you forsee this process ever being bundled into one software app? Kind of like a Pinnacle Copy or something.
I was just about to suggest that Socio get together with the author from DVD Shrink or DVD2One or create his own "one click" app for this process. Once dual-layer DVDs come down in price, I can foresee more people wanting to get the most out of the "main movie" on their DVDs after they've been stripped of all the unwanted features. An original full DVD around 8.5GB might be able to be stripped down to 6GB for just the main movie. It would be cool if this script could be built into an app that maximizes this extra 2.5GB of space to get the best quality out of the original movie.

Thanks,
jawgee
post #30 of 210 Old 12-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Wouldn't it be great if the studios would actually take the time to produce DVDs with the BEST mpeg 2 (or WMVHD) has to offer so we don't have to go through all of this...

Brian
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page