AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by iq100
Cliff,

You wrote, "With a trick or two I can record encrypted channels, but the Janus chip will not decode them."

Please share with us how you do this? Thanks.

No can do, trade secret!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
No can do, trade secret!

Yes, please trade.

Kevin
post #363 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Isn't there another necessary secret? If the card won't play the encrypted files, what can you use for playback?

Brett
post #364 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avekevin
Yes, please trade.

Kevin

ROFL
post #365 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'll send you... donuts!

Come on Cliff, you can't toss something like that out there and then NOT let us in on how. After all, without a 5c deocder it's just taking up space

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #366 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
I'll send you... donuts!

Come on Cliff, you can't toss something like that out there and then NOT let us in on how. After all, without a 5c deocder it's just taking up space

Not really just taking up space. The ability to record encrypted streams help a lot fixing application and computer crashes during the beta test of MDP-130.
post #367 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Makes sense... just meant that it wouldn't do anyone any good unless 5c has been cracked (which of course we wouldn't discuss here!).

post #368 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Makes sense... just meant that it wouldn't do anyone any good unless 5c has been cracked (which of course we wouldn't discuss here!).

talk about tossing something out.
post #369 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tossing what out? 5c has not, to the best of my knowledge, been circumvented. Even if you manage a brute force 5c attack the key is only good for 2 minutes of the session before it switches. If you want a really interesting read on it, check this out:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...cryption&hl=en

But really, we are off base now

post #370 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Cliff,

Sorry to bother you but could not find an answer from you to snipeman's questions on page-12. I am specially interested in question 1.

I am repeating them here again . . Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------
Cliff,

Two questions while I await the arrival of the 130:

1) Do you know the power usage of the card? Does it pull a lot of power or make a lot of heat?

2) Any issue with the card in the same system as a Hauppauge WinTV350?

Thanks,

Andy
-----------------------------------------
post #371 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvgeek
Cliff,

Sorry to bother you but could not find an answer from you to snipeman's questions on page-12. I am specially interested in question 1.

I am repeating them here again . . Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------
Cliff,

Two questions while I await the arrival of the 130:

1) Do you know the power usage of the card? Does it pull a lot of power or make a lot of heat?

2) Any issue with the card in the same system as a Hauppauge WinTV350?

Thanks,

Andy
-----------------------------------------

Geeker,

I don't answer his questions for a reason....I don't have the answer.

I don't know exactly how much power the card pulls but will assume it is within the PCI specifications. The card does not generate excessive heat and some people have report good results using MyHD in one of the really small cases.

I've never used a Hauppauge TV card but do believe some members do used MyHD with the WinTV350 card.
post #372 of 12511 Old 02-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks...

If you are interested, I'll report the power useage of the 130 as soon as I receive mine. FexEx says it will be here on the 17th.

I have a wattage meter, and I'll measure the PC with the card in and active, and with it out.

I'll also be happy to report my compatibility results with it and the Hauppauge WinTV-350 / SageTV software. I'm hoping to do the 130 and the 350 in the same machine.
post #373 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Cliff,

You've mentioned that you have been successfully recording unencrypted QAM channels from your local cable provider; in fact, you've been lucky enough to record some PPV channels that for some reason the cable company wasn't encrypting. And I've read, I believe on the Digital Connection page, something to the effect that certain channels are required to be carried unencrypted by the FCC.

I'm a bit confused on this and wonder if you can shed some light. Pre or Post 7/1/05 (implementation of the BF), are the cable companies required to provide the local channels (e.g., abc, cbs, nbc, fox, wb) over their digital transmission *unencrypted*? If so, is this only because the same digital transmissions are available in OTA broadcasts?

If this doesn't make sense, I'll have to try to reformulate my question.

Thanks...
post #374 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ben,

Makes perfect sense. Post 7/1/05 the cable companies are required to pass thru the BS flag for rebroadcast channels.

BTW, I'm not recording PPV channels. What I'm able to tune is free VOD (video on demand) channels.
post #375 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 10:25 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will the implementation of the BF affect recording unencrypted HD via firewire? Up to this point and while I await the arrival of my MDP-130, I have been able to record my local HD networks via firewire from my cable box but its starting to sound like a pre BF implementation QAM compatible card is going to be a very popular item.

Rick
post #376 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Q
... As you know, I am a Directv HD TIVO person and I use the MYHD now exclusively for DVD's and playing back content from a certain device.

No, premium content is encrypted and requires your cable providers box. Depending on your provider you may be supplied an HD/SD DVR box. My Comcast box has two HD/SD tuners with a 120GB hard drive. Between that and my Fusion 3 QAM and MyHD-120 OTA cards I've got plenty of bases covered.
post #377 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
The Fusion software strips more than null packets, it strips all packets except for the specifically captured subchannel's PIDs. That's what makes the smaller files. I'm not sure why some MyHD QAM TS files don't FF/RW, but perhaps it's related to how far from a constant bit rate they are, which may depend upon the actual program content if the cableco does not insert null packets?

Have you tried stripping PIDs with HDTVtoMPEG2 1.11 beta? I can't tell you why the MyHD wouldn't FF/RW for certain streams, but I think the latest HDTVtoMPEG2 will rebuild the program tables in much the same way that TStoATSC does. It would be nice if the MyHD software could be made to work well with VBR streams. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the latest MyHD software did a better job with VBR streams, but I can't remember the specifics.
post #378 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, the cable company ALWAYS inserts null packets. Transport streams are constant bit rate by definition. Transport mechanisms like QAM and 8VSB are always constant bit rate. A VBR transport stream is really a bastardization that only exists on the hard disks of PCs and PVRs.
post #379 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jacob, if you're sure that the cableco always sends CBR TS then I don't at all understand why some QAM captured files refuse to FF/RW in MyHD v1.65 (until they've been fixed with TStoATSC, that is).

H2 processing sometimes "breaks" FF/RW in a file but, AFAIK, never fixes it in files where it's already broken. So far, your tool TStoATSC (with robena's mods) has maintained/fixed FF/RW in every file on which I've tried it. Then, if I use H2 to strip the nulls back out, FF/RW is "broken" again.
post #380 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

And I agree with TPeterson.

post #381 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 07:23 PM
ulu

Hi, newb here! i've been wanting to get a HDTV tuner card for a year or so now and finally saved up to get one. I saw in compusa that the ati hdtv card was only 150 bux so i got it today and installed, picture was GREAT!

I used the regular silver sensor antenna that came with it, it was okay, then i tried my terk amplified antenna i used on my winfast 2000xp and got perfect reception.

Anyways, after fiddling with the software, i couldn't save and export anything, it just kept crashing!!! i hate it that it records on demand automatically, and that you have to use their stupid library manager to view the files. and software decoding is bad anyways. well enuff ranting, i already took out the card and returning it tommorow!

Now i want to make a good investment on a hdtv card, so i read about the MDP-130 and it sounds promising. I'm only using for OTA because i get pretty much 100% reception on the channels i want. Here are some questions:

1) For installation do i just plug into pci and install apps/drivers and set to go? or do i have to have buy some extra cables?

2) I see on Digital Connection its on preorder but read on the thread its shipping already, is that a mistake?

3) Does Digital connection provide FREE shipping, because copperbox is, but you all seem to know digi connection well and i want to help them make money

4) For those that have the MDP-130, what are your thoughts, does it take time to load the channels ( in noticed in the ATI it did, software decoding?). Is the hdtv/dtv viewing and recording stable?

5) What is the processor load for recording shows?

Well thats all i can think of right now. I hope i didn't scare you HDTV gurus from my 10 page post

Thanks!!!

ulu
post #382 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Kei, just ordered my MDP-130, just wanted to thank you for the great customer service that I know that I will receive, always do.

Jim

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #383 of 12511 Old 02-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ulu

1) For installation do i just plug into pci and install apps/drivers and set to go? or do i have to have buy some extra cables?

2) I see on Digital Connection its on preorder but read on the thread its shipping already, is that a mistake?

4) For those that have the MDP-130, what are your thoughts, does it take time to load the channels ( in noticed in the ATI it did, software decoding?). Is the hdtv/dtv viewing and recording stable?

Well thats all i can think of right now. I hope i didn't scare you HDTV gurus from my 10 page post

Thanks!!!

ulu

I have an MDP-130 up and running so I can address some of your questions:

1. Just install the card, the drivers and the apps. I would add that you should make sure you have the latest driver installed for your video card or you might have problems. I did but Cliff squared me away on that one. You don't need any extra cables.

2. Digital Connection is shipping. I was a walk in to their store so I got one of the first ones.

4. The channel scan was very fast for over the air. A little slower for QAM on cable. Not a problem. Viewing and recording is rock solid. The picture on my Viewsonic P815 monitor is simply stunning.
post #384 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

MDP-100 owner here, considering an upgrade. I have a question about the IR receiver.

Right now, I use the MDP-100 serial receiver with girder (with a plugin), to control ZP and other applications. Right now, the serial receiver accepts IR signals from a certain devices that I program on my Pronto remote. It's limited, but I got more than 20 IR commands that I can freely program, which is enough for my needs. Is the serial receiver being shipped with the MDP-130 exactly the same I have from the MDP-100?

What about the USB receiver? Will it work with Girder with a plugin, maybe the USB-UIRT plugin? Will it accept the same range of signals (same sensor or something) of the serial receiver, only with a USB interface?

This is pretty important for me, cause this way, I can use the bundled IR receiver, instead of buying a more expensive and overkill USB-UIRT or IRman.

And I know most people (if any!) don't have the USB receiver, but maybe Cliff knows the answer ...
post #385 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"Is the serial receiver being shipped with the MDP-130 exactly the same I have from the MDP-100?"

Mine is.
post #386 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have spent many hours researching the myHD products, and my own MDP-130 is now on its way (here tomorrow in fact). As I prepare a dedicated PC for its arrival, having downloaded the latest v1.65 & drivers, I am thinking about utility software I will need to archive and USE the files that myHD will create. So far I've seen (or heard of) HDTV2MPEG, TStoATSC, pulldown.exe, ProjectX, and others that escape me at the moment.

I realize that I have to learn for myself how to use these tools, and what-is-valuable/necessary-for-what, but I wonder if some kind soul would capsulize for me here (briefly) the basic list of programs I will want to acquire/try for use w/my new tuner card.

My thoughts right now as to my wishes:

1. Save transport streams to a network pc. Replay later w/myHD "as-is" & delete.
2. Save super-special ts to DVD (as ts -- yes I expect it would take several)
3. Re-encode some ts to MPEG2 for replay using DVD
4. Re-encode other ts for saving as Xvids

Maybe HDTV2MPEG2 is all I really need? Does it split ts files? I know how to make DVDs and convert to Xvid from there. Any thoughts would be welcome.

p.s. maybe I should add that I will only use for OTA; no cable here!
post #387 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Laserfan--

1. No extras needed.
2. HDTVtoMPEG2 (yes, it splits files if you wish)
3. Nero Video Express is my favorite one-step method.
4. See 3.

You can save the other tools you mentioned for pathological cases.
post #388 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
"Is the serial receiver being shipped with the MDP-130 exactly the same I have from the MDP-100?"

Mine is.

So is mine. I'm using the IR receiver from MDP-100 with the MDP-130.
post #389 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 08:26 AM
ulu

Hi Kei, i order from you guys just now! Hope i get it soon

thanks for the great help and service!
post #390 of 12511 Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
So is mine. I'm using the IR receiver from MDP-100 with the MDP-130.

So are the IR recievers currently shipping with the 130 USB or serial? I guess i can wait and find out on Wed. when mine arrives, but I had thought the 130 was using USB.

thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page