MyHD MDP-130 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 12511 Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I broke down and ordered the card tonight. It would be great to get the card in time to play with it this weekend, but I won't hold my breath. If I had realized that this was a 3-day weekend earlier, I would have ordered last week. My bad.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 12:22 AM

I noticed another issue while I was using the card just a little while ago. It seems that whenever a channel is tuned (whether OTA or cable, HD/digital or not), the whole system is experiencing a stutter issue - a few times per second, everything on the computer seems to pause, whether it's scrolling down a webpage, or a game running, etc. I turned off the option to increase the priority for the MyHD process, and verified that it was in fact Normal. I even decreased it to Low and still had the issue - nothing is "smooth" when the tuner is tuning something - except when I tune to a digital channel that either isn't broadcasting a signal at the moment, or is encrypted and thus not displayable.

This is in addition to the audio stuttering problem I posted above (that only affects analog channels, strangely enough).

This sounds like it almost has to be some sort of software issue, but I'm really at a loss as to what it could be.
post #453 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

"If I had realized that this was a 3-day weekend earlier"

damend Govt. workers.....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #454 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mle_ii
So why would one want to buy a MyHD 130 if you already own a 100? Other than being able to do cable/QAM (which I've promised myself I'll never get cable LOL). Any reason?

I have the 120 and will be ordering 130 to have a backup just in case the 120 goes out. I don't think I could do without the recording of OTA HD capabilities.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #455 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by netman
Are you confusing analog and digital sound connections? You make is sound like your MB has an analog input. If you want to feed an analog signal to your MB sound input you need to use the connector on the MyHD board not the SPDIF connection. Like you would hook up a CD player of old.

Yeah I guess I was. Any idea how I am suppose get audio then? As I said, my MB has built in sound and I have not been able to find a input on the board that I think is for sound input. There is the 1/4" sound input on the I/O area on the back of the computer, but nothing internal. Will I need to hack up the supplied audio connector to attach a 1/4" male plug? Or can the card send out an audio signal via the PCI slot? Any ideas?

FYI - Here is a link to my motherboard

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #456 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine shipped on 2/15, thanks D.C.!

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #457 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I was finally able to download a copy of my motherboards manual and it does have three pin locations for CD Audio In. I assume I can connect my MyHD card to one of these connectors and have sound that way. So I think that I'll be able to finish my installation today!

This is probably old news to most people, but I found my manual at www.motherboards.org What a great site. It took me a while to research enough to find the exact model number of my board since it was in a Compaq system and therefore not readily made public (it is the FIC AZ31 - Compaq just renamed it UWave). Once I had the correct model, it was easy finding the manual.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #458 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by sic0048
Well, I was finally able to download a copy of my motherboards manual and it does have three pin locations for CD Audio In. I assume I can connect my MyHD card to one of these connectors and have sound that way. So I think that I'll be able to finish my installation today!

This is probably old news to most people, but I found my manual at www.motherboards.org What a great site. It took me a while to research enough to find the exact model number of my board since it was in a Compaq system and therefore not readily made public (it is the FIC AZ31 - Compaq just renamed it UWave). Once I had the correct model, it was easy finding the manual.

You don't need any cable connection to your mobo for MyHD audio and, in fact, there is no connector intended to pass digital audio to your mobo from MyHD. (You can connect the MyHD S/PDIF output to an S/PDIF input on the mobo, if there is one, but it's really intended for output to an A/V receiver) MyHD can pass both NTSC and DTV audio to your "soundcard" over the PCI bus without such cable connections. The analog cable to the mobo CD-in connector is optional (and then only for NTSC audio).
post #459 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SynthDude2001
I noticed another issue while I was using the card just a little while ago. It seems that whenever a channel is tuned (whether OTA or cable, HD/digital or not), the whole system is experiencing a stutter issue - a few times per second, everything on the computer seems to pause, whether it's scrolling down a webpage, or a game running, etc. I turned off the option to increase the priority for the MyHD process, and verified that it was in fact Normal. I even decreased it to Low and still had the issue - nothing is "smooth" when the tuner is tuning something - except when I tune to a digital channel that either isn't broadcasting a signal at the moment, or is encrypted and thus not displayable.

This is in addition to the audio stuttering problem I posted above (that only affects analog channels, strangely enough).

This sounds like it almost has to be some sort of software issue, but I'm really at a loss as to what it could be.

Sounds like you have some sort of IRQ-interference problem. I suggest that you try moving one or more of your PCI cards to a different slot.
post #460 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Everything w/my new MDP-130 has gone swimmingly well, including even pressing Record on the remote and making a quick OTA recording. But I setup the card on a VGA monitor, and now that I've connected the cable/dongle assy and tied my Monitor output connector to Component inputs of my Sony GWII HD monitor, I get nothing--blackness. I selected YPbPr in the AV Settings of myHD for my TV.

DC ran out of VGA-3 RCA cables, so I'm using a VGA-RGBHV (w/H and V not connected). This should work, according to logic (and DC).

Any ideas? I've rebooted and whatnot. Have nice Dolby sound out of my SPDIF connection. Need to get this working before the wife comes nosing around!

Oh, I've tried a couple of resolutions; assuming that I should leave at 1080i tho the set is 1366x768.
post #461 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Laserfan
Everything w/my new MDP-130 has gone swimmingly well, including even pressing Record on the remote and making a quick OTA recording. But I setup the card on a VGA monitor, and now that I've connected the cable/dongle assy and tied my Monitor output connector to Component inputs of my Sony GWII HDTV, I get nothing--blackness. I selected YPbPr in the AV Settings of myHD for my monitor.

DC ran out of VGA-3 RCA cables, so I'm using a VGA-RGBHV (w/H and V not connected). This should work, according to logic (and DC).

Any ideas? I've rebooted and whatnot. Have nice Dolby sound out of my SPDIF connection. Need to get this working before the wife comes nosing around!

Make sure that you have the output resolution set to one that your DTV can display. {edit} And check the "using separate monitors" box, IIUC that that's what you're doing.
post #462 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Re: Resolutions, I've tried 'em all, & any number should make a display.

Dumb question tho not in the docs: On the blue myHD dongle cable--"VGA" connects to the PC's VGA-out, and "Monitor" connects to the HD display?

I had initally tried "loop-thru" mode but now have disconnected the PC's VGA out and am only trying to get an HD picture.

Tom {oops sorry dunno if this is right} where is "using separate monitors" box? (Sorry, don't recall seeing this anywhere).

--Tom
post #463 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Laserfan
Re: Resolutions, I've tried 'em all, & any number should make a display.

Dumb question tho not in the docs: On the blue myHD dongle cable--"VGA" connects to the PC's VGA-out, and "Monitor" connects to the HD display?

I had initally tried "loop-thru" mode but now have disconnected the PC's VGA out and am only trying to get an HD picture.

Tom where is "using separate monitors" box? (Sorry, don't recall seeing this anywhere).

I'll step in for Tom...it's on one of the two left-most tabs of the Config panels in MyHD app. You also may want to try swapping some of the component connectors on your DTV input, in case you have them permuted. (Since the "vga" and "monitor" connectors have different sexes, there's only one way you can plug them in using standard cables. ) {second edit} It's a good thing that you've disconnected the PC's vga output from the dongle, since the passthrough does not convert any signals and your DTV's component input won't like seeing the PC's vga signals.
post #464 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your silence TP, I really needed to calm down a little.

I found the "Using separate monitors" box, and changing this worked.

Man, I was trying so hard to get this working on my own, without looking like one of the newbies. It's just that after a while one starts to panic! I even re-connected a DVD player to the Sony inputs to make sure I hadn't fried anything!

Thanks TPeterson for your patient assistance. I must say that at least to this point(!) I was extremely impressed at how easily everything had gone together.

My next post will not be a question! It will be to help some other panicy individual like me!

Edit: oops you did patiently reply. A big sloppy kiss when I see you! Ok a beer then (Go Bears!). Arr, arr, arr.
post #465 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
...It's a good thing that you've disconnected the PC's vga output from the dongle, since the passthrough does not convert any signals and your DTV's component input won't like seeing the PC's vga signals.

You are of course right again. I had in fact initially tried the loop-thru mode, but when I saw the Sony's OSD ("HD" overlaid upon the black screen) flickering madly, I disconnected the VGA-out.

I have only played with this thing for a few minutes, but already I am extremely impressed, and wishing I'd found-out about the MDP's a year ago, when I bought a Hughes HTL-HD D*TV tuner box just to get OTA ATSC. The MDP beats it all to heck!

Many thanks TPeterson.
post #466 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't need any cable connection to your mobo for MyHD audio and, in fact, there is no connector intended to pass digital audio to your mobo from MyHD. (You can connect the MyHD S/PDIF output to an S/PDIF input on the mobo, if there is one, but it's really intended for output to an A/V receiver) MyHD can pass both NTSC and DTV audio to your "soundcard" over the PCI bus without such cable connections. The analog cable to the mobo CD-in connector is optional (and then only for NTSC audio).

Well that is what I originally thought, but I could not get any audio to play and I messed with the audio setting quite a bit. There are three major options (as well as mute) and I couldn't get sound to play out with any option. Any suggestions as to what to try?

The instructions show where you need to connect the MyHD card to your sound card via the supplied internal connector. This does not utilize the S/PDIF output on the back of the card. That is why I think I will try connecting this to my internal MB CD audio input to see if it works.

Still, if anyone has suggestions on how to get sound through the PCI slot without hooking up any additional audio jumper, I would be very appreciative.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #467 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well that is what I originally thought, but I could not get any audio to play and I messed with the audio setting quite a bit. There are three major options (as well as mute) and I couldn't get sound to play out with any option. Any suggestions as to what to try?

The instructions show where you need to connect the MyHD card to your sound card via the supplied internal connector. This does not utilize the S/PDIF output on the back of the card. That is why I think I will try connecting this to my internal MB CD audio input to see if it works.

Still, if anyone has suggestions on how to get sound through the PCI slot without hooking up any additional audio jumper, I would be very appreciative.

On the MyHD configuration panel for audio options, uncheck the "cable" box, select "PC soundcard" and either "stereo" or "dolby surround". That will give your PCI soundcard or on-mobo AC-97 sound chip audio from both NTSC and ATSC channels. If you hear nothing, open up the Windows "volume control" panel and make sure that the "wave" input is not muted.
post #468 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

TP - I am going to feel pretty stupid if that is all the problem is. But I'll be honest, I didn't even think to check something like that. Thanks for your help, I'll try your suggestions first.

Like someone recently said, the "big problems" are usually caused by the dumbest little thing that you just didn't think about!

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #469 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 10:12 AM

Hey guys,

Been thinking about ordering up a 130 to finish off my HTPC. I have a Radeon 9800 in there, displaying 1920x1080 to my Hitachi 50v500 via the Radeon's DVI out. Also a soundblaster audigy zs platinum. If anyone has my setup, or close to it, and also purchased the 130 could you post or message me your experience with hooking it?

Thanks!

PS. And could someone post a review of it, or did I miss one in this long post?
post #470 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like someone recently said, the "big problems" are usually caused by the dumbest little thing that you just didn't think about!

Funny, so are the small ones.
post #471 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Since you cant use 2 MYHD cards in one computer..... anyone have a 100 or 120 they want to get rid of???
I dont need the better tuner or to do cableHD....

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #472 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM

i am thinking of picking up this card, already have a accessdtv but as soon as the leaves pop up on the tree that my antenna is pointing into my reception leaves somthing to be desired. i do get stations but they seem to be in and out.

someone(dont know who read it a while back) was saying that this card had a better OTA tuner, anyone know if it is better than the accessdtv tuner
post #473 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

AccessDTV uses a first generation tuner, just like the MDP-100.... which happens to work just fine, for me....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #474 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 11:55 AM
ulu

What is the disk space usage for 1 hour of recording to transport stream for 1080i and 720i using myHD?
post #475 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll comment on the 130 tuner. It is certainly stronger than my Zenith's c32v37's built in tuner. I was actually surprised at how much better the signals came in, so for those people who need the "extra reception", the 130 might be the ticket.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

post #476 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ulu
What is the disk space usage for 1 hour of recording to transport stream for 1080i and 720i using myHD?

~8.5 GB
post #477 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ulu

8.5 GB for OTA and up to twice that for QAM on cable.
post #478 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I just installed MyHD 130, which replaced the MyHD 100. I right away noticed an audio stutter, which I did not have with the 100 card. I also noticed that some of the channels that were previously scanned were coming up with black screens, with no audio or video. However I was able to correct these problems by going into the channel list (clicking Ctrl-L) and saving my current list and then rescanning the channels. I then surfed through the channels to see if these were all working correctly, but found that it did not find some of the channels I had previously had scanned in. My signal strength on most all my channels is in the 90s to 100, so I don't think that should have been the problem. I then reloaded the previous saved channel list and now all channels showed and now there also were no audio stutter. I don't know if there was any connection or not, but the problem is now corrected.

I think someone in one of the prior postings mentioned that he was also having a problem with audio stutter He may want to try what I did to see if this relieves the problem.

Don
post #479 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ulu
I have a question, i have 5.1 speakers that are connected via my mother board's 5.1 output connectors....

Quote:

ulu, if you set up MyHD to use "soundcard" output in "stereo" mode, you should get 5.1 output from your present speakers whenever the input AC-3 is in DD 5.1.

ulu: Do you mean that your speakers are hooked up to the 5.1 analog outputs on your MB?

Bart
post #480 of 12511 Old 02-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Does the 130 record all the QAM subchannels at the same time, or do you selectively choose which sub-channel you want to record?

-Brett
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page