post #4831 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flykid83 View Post

the channels I get in are the ones that varies from 64% to 69% but only those that i quoted earlier or i get the A02-A06 and 5 and 6 are in black and white and fussy.

Are you subscribed to cable or are you just using something like internet cable? As I mentioned earlier the analog situation looks like what you would get from your OTA stations without an antenna/

With cable TV subsription you should be getting numerous analog stations, which could be filtered out if you are just using internet cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 03:20 PM

How much power does the MDP-130 draw? I couldn't find anything in the doco. I also looked on MIT's site but couldn't find any power specifications.

The reason that I'm asking is that I just blew my cheap dual fan 450w PSU and I want to know what size I'll need for a new PSU. The cheap one must not have been able to handle the extra memory, extra hard drive and the MyHD card that I put in. It did run about 7 weeks with the added hardware before dying. I swapped it out with another cheap 450w from a spare case that I have but it is the same model as the one that blew. It is currently working.

I will want to get a good PSU for this PC so this doesn't happen again. I may also be adding a big SATA drive in the future.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a good reasonably priced PSU?

Current config:
AMD XP3000
2 sticks of DDR400 768mb total
2 ATA/133 Harddrives (80gb & 120 gb)
1 DVD-RW/CDRW
1 FX5200 128mb Video
1 MDP-130 Capture card (no daughter card)
1 PCI wireless network card
1 extra case fan

Future: 250gb-300gb SATA drive posible (2 SATA ports on MB)

Thanks,
DB
post #4833 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dart--

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I do know that I have more loads in my HTPC than you have and I have a "300 W" PSU. I suspect that the root cause in your failure was "cheap" rather than "450 W". Seasonic PSUs aren't cheap but they are pretty quiet and very efficient. There are several other good brands too, including Antec and PC's and Cooling (or something like that). Your PSU is likely to be one of the things that you can hang onto longest in a PC, so why scrimp there??
post #4834 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Hapy Holidays!

I was cruising channels, and here's what I saw on one of my stations

My first reflex was to pick up my keyboard/mouse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4835 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Dart--

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I do know that I have more loads in my HTPC than you have and I have a "300 W" PSU. I suspect that the root cause in your failure was "cheap" rather than "450 W". Seasonic PSUs aren't cheap but they are pretty quiet and very efficient. There are several other good brands too, including Antec and PC's and Cooling (or something like that). Your PSU is likely to be one of the things that you can hang onto longest in a PC, so why scrimp there??

The PSUs came with 2 cheap cases that I bought. I didn't think they would be much of an issue because I originally wasn't going to use it for my main PC. I used them for a couple lower end PCs with no extras. If one died, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I later did an upgrade for a family member and used my good case for that thinking that I want the most reliable hardware for them. I was taking my chances using the cheap one for my main but I have plenty of backups and a secondary PC (250w PSU, broken audio and USBs) and some spare PC parts. Now, with the added investment in the PC, I'll also have to invest in the PSU.

DB

PS. the longest Ive ever kept the same MB, CPU, and case has been about 2 years.

PSS. I read a while ago that the cheap 400w or 450w PSUs have outputs that are closer to what the good 300w are. Therefore you can't always go by the wattage anyway.
post #4836 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Barring giving them away to someone as a unit, there's no reason that a good case and PSU can't last far longer than your CPU/mobo.

My main tower has seen 3 or 4 mobos.

Regarding PPS: That's what I said!
post #4837 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Hapy Holidays!

I was cruising channels, and here's what I saw on one of my stations

My first reflex was to pick up my keyboard/mouse.

You better call the station Kei, because they have Windows Updates that they need to apply I think!
post #4838 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartdougums View Post

(snip)
Does anybody have any suggestions on a good reasonably priced PSU?

Current config:
AMD XP3000
2 sticks of DDR400 768mb total
2 ATA/133 Harddrives (80gb & 120 gb)
1 DVD-RW/CDRW
1 FX5200 128mb Video
1 MDP-130 Capture card (no daughter card)
1 PCI wireless network card
1 extra case fan

Future: 250gb-300gb SATA drive posible (2 SATA ports on MB)

Thanks,
DB

I built my HTPC using an Ultra 400W modular PSU. It's quiet and comes with rounded cables, and reasonably priced. Being modular, I only used the ones I needed. I do have a 120G SATA drive on it, but no MDP-130. I do have a Hauppauge PVR-150 on it. You may want to ask around the Home Theater Computer forum.

As a matter of fact, your PC's specs almost mirror mine, less the MDP-130 and network card.

- Zilla
post #4839 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 04:29 PM

My MDP-130 seems to be droppping the SPDIF audio. I recently just started using it again and had the SPDIF connection to my old HD cable box (which I was getting for free for a while). Now I'm back to the HTPC bu tthe SPDIF audio keeps dropping out.
I tried fiddling with the cable so it seems OK. Maybe I should ohm it out.
But the audio keeps dropping for about 1/2 sec every 3-5 secs. Analog and HD channels alike.
The PC Audio out works fine so that's what I'm using now.

Is there a way to convince the PC that it should send all the audio out the MDP130s SPDIF port? Then I don't have to switch between the PC audio and the SPDIF when I use the computer vs. watching TV.
post #4840 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by er777 View Post

My MDP-130 seems to be droppping the SPDIF audio. I recently just started using it again and had the SPDIF connection to my old HD cable box (which I was getting for free for a while). Now I'm back to the HTPC bu tthe SPDIF audio keeps dropping out.
I tried fiddling with the cable so it seems OK. Maybe I should ohm it out.
But the audio keeps dropping for about 1/2 sec every 3-5 secs. Analog and HD channels alike.
The PC Audio out works fine so that's what I'm using now.

Is there a way to convince the PC that it should send all the audio out the MDP130s SPDIF port? Then I don't have to switch between the PC audio and the SPDIF when I use the computer vs. watching TV.

Sending the MYHD audio to your soundcard SPDIF works pretty good.
post #4841 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

flykid,

Let us separate your problems into two. First problem is channels you get. The only DIGITAL channels you should expect to get from the [Optimum] cable line are the local (over the air channels) and maybe one of the sport channels (I forget which one at the moment). Many of these will be standard definition but mixed in will be the HD versions of these. There will also be lots of channels that only show black; these channels are encrypted and you can't get them with MyHD. Every QAM channel carries a number of sub-channels. The ones that have the HD content will have 4 subs each and tend to carry two HD channels and two other channels. You need to check to subs to find (as far as I remember) CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, UPN WB (not sure about WB) and PBS and maybe espn-hd. Depending on the quality of your cable signal you may not get these results. I need to put an amplifier in my cable line to compensate for the many splits I have; your mileage will vary.

Now to your bigger problem (in my opinion). The Dell may not handle the 1080i as well as you want. This has been discussed before on the forum. To get a better feel for whether this is the case you should set the output of the MyHD to 1280 X 720 and set the Dell to 1:1 pixel mapping. They will call this something else; real, full, one to one etc. If you get the setting right the image WILL NOT FILL THE SCREEN. When you get this setup see if the images are now clear. You may well find the Dell wont work out with the MyHD at 1080i. It may not work well connected to the cable box either (unless as you intimate it does not work at all)

Sorry, I don't remember the actual channels but I can get that for you later; I wont be back to the house for a while (tonight or tomorrow).

What do you mean by the dell not supporting 1080i?
I have mine on 1080i right now and it is working with a 1:1 setup. The image looks darn good. I have tried all of the settings including native and all look very similar quality wise just different sizes.
post #4842 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytc3 View Post

I have mine on 1080i right now and it is working with a 1:1 setup. The image looks darn good. I have tried all of the settings including native and all look very similar quality wise just different sizes.

You can't do 1080i at 1:1 on a Dell 2005FPW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4843 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

You can't do 1080i at 1:1 on a Dell 2005FPW.

This is perhaps a bit off topic, as I'm referencing accessDTV rather than MyHD, but I think the information is relevant to the discussion...

The Dell monitors seem to handle 1080i (and 720p) rather oddly. In my case, I'm using a Dell 2405FPW (24" widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution). If I feed it 720p or 1080i from my accessDTV card to the VGA input, it's not really happy with the signal - for 1080i, it thinks it's getting a 640x480 60Hz signal and the picture is both offcenter and zoomed in a bit. I get similar results for 720p (it reports 832x624 60Hz). If I switch the accessDTV software to component video and send that to the HD component video input on the display, the picture is fine. I know the problem isn't the VGA output on the accessDTV card as the 1080i VGA output is properly recognized by my RPTV. Obviously the Dell's VGA input is configured to only work with "computer" resolutions.

In short, I'm agreeing with Kei, though using a different monitor as a reference .
post #4844 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Are you subscribed to cable or are you just using something like internet cable? As I mentioned earlier the analog situation looks like what you would get from your OTA stations without an antenna/

With cable TV subsription you should be getting numerous analog stations, which could be filtered out if you are just using internet cable

actually I am using teh internet wire but i do have cable tv from cablevisoin. Am i supose to use that to get HD
post #4845 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

actually I am using teh internet wire but i do have cable tv from cablevisoin. Am i supose to use that to get HD

For my system this is no different - but maybe there is a filter on your system, so I would check the MyHD out on a cable connection that is known to be working like the one on your cable box. What do you get when you hook up a regular cable ready tv to your coax from cable company? Most people get quite a number of analog channels depending on the package purchased, you should be getting the same ones as analog stations on the MyhD (plus whatever digitals are unencrypted with it appears Netman was saying which ones he gets in your general area (can be different with different cable companies and localities).

And then only a subset of the digital channels will be in hD (the one you had was reporting 1920x1080i)
post #4846 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

This is perhaps a bit off topic, as I'm referencing accessDTV rather than MyHD, but I think the information is relevant to the discussion...

The Dell monitors seem to handle 1080i (and 720p) rather oddly. In my case, I'm using a Dell 2405FPW (24" widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution). If I feed it 720p or 1080i from my accessDTV card to the VGA input, it's not really happy with the signal - for 1080i, it thinks it's getting a 640x480 60Hz signal and the picture is both offcenter and zoomed in a bit. I get similar results for 720p (it reports 832x624 60Hz). If I switch the accessDTV software to component video and send that to the HD component video input on the display, the picture is fine. I know the problem isn't the VGA output on the accessDTV card as the 1080i VGA output is properly recognized by my RPTV. Obviously the Dell's VGA input is configured to only work with "computer" resolutions.

In short, I'm agreeing with Kei, though using a different monitor as a reference .

Geoffrey,

Actually, that wasn't what I meant. The 2005FPW is a 1680x1050 monitor, hence it cannot handle 1920 H res in 1:1 pixel mode. But your 2450FPW would be able to do that.

I too have the same problem with the VGA input of my Sony monitor in that set to "real" mode, the image like yours seems to activate about 640x480 pixel area, but the monitor correctly identifies the signal as 33.7kHz/59.9Hz. Of course, I can use the scaler to fill the image on the screen. Many PC monitors have problems with 1080i. I imagine the scalers in them are not designed to accept anything other than VESA standard signals.

post #4847 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
First I'd like to thank TPeterson, Kei, jldet5, balazer, and whoever else I forgot, who helped me with the timing issues I was having.

To summarize, there are 2 utilities which essentially do the function of PowerStrip for MyHD. They cannot do everything PowerStrip can, but much of what you'd use PowerStrip for can be done. In particular centering the picture and adjusting for overscan. The utilities are somewhere in the big MDP-130 thread. The documentation is rudimentary but enough to get you started. I added some notes and links to the original posts where you can get the utilities. Hopefully this will make it easier for other folks to use the utilities.

The image from MyHD MDP-130 using DVI daughtercard to HDMI/DVI ports of my Sharp LC-45GX6U (at 1080i and 720p) was off center. Specifically the picture shifted to the right 42 pixels and shifted down 5 pixels. Sharp has decent picture adjustments and I was able to center the picture using the displays controls (and save the values), but it is always nicer if the source device outputs something already centered, especially if the display's input will be shared with multiple devices.

In the end, I was able to get the 1080i image perfectly centered with 1:1 dot mapping. Sharp has a "Dot by Dot" view mode that bypasses the scaler and does 1:1 dot mapping. Here are the settings I used for the Sharp 45". You may not like my overscan values as you will see junk on the edges of some network broadcasts, but I've grown used to seeing exactly what the networks broadcast so it doesn't bother me. This particular display has native res 1920x1080 so I try to get rid of scaling as much as possible through the whole pathway, especially for 1080i content.

Originally I went down this path because the 1080i output from MDP-130 DVI would not display properly on my Sony Bravia KLV-S32A10 LCD TV. The picture would display, but the top part of the picture would experience tearing. Unfortunately I ended up returning that TV before I was able to use syncsetup to see of that problem could be fixed.

Please be very careful when you use these utilities as you can potentially damage your screen, basically the same warnings as PowerStrip.

These were my Sharp LC-45GX6U settings using the DVI-I port configured for "AV Digital" with 1080i input from MyHD MDP-130 over DVI daughtercard.
Code:
Sharp45    Top   Bottom   Left   Right
OverScan     0      0       0      0
UnderScan    0      0       0      0

Sharp45    Offset   Front Porch   Back Porch
Horizontal  -42         86           98
Vertical     -5          7           10
These are my notes for scansetup and syncsetup usage.

----

scansetup.exe
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post3218490

Registry:
HKLM\\SYSEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\MDP100\\OverlayInf o\\
OverScan
UnderScan

Code:
Default    Top   Bottom   Left   Right
OverScan    12      0       0      0          
UnderScan    6      6       0      0          

OverScan - how much of the incoming picture (from broadcaster) to cut out
   remaining picture will be stretched to fit the output window
   useful for getting rid of broadcast junk at the edges of picture, especially top/bottom edges
UnderScan - how much of the outgoing picture frame is not visible due to display's overscan
   basically this treats part of the outgoing picture frame as not usable.
   The picture content from MyHD is shrunk to fit into the reduced usable picture frame.
   This is useful if your display overscans the picture (ie expands the picture so about
   5-7% of each edge is off screen)
NOTES:
If you are seeing junk at the edges of the picture, use OverScan to get rid of it

If your picture is off the screen because your display is overscanning, use UnderScan
to have MyHD shrink the picture to account for the overscan.

----

syncoffset.exe
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5551285

Registry:
HKLM\\SYSEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\MDP100\\OverlayInf o\\
SyncOffset

Code:
Default    Offset   Front Porch   Back Porch
Horizontal    0         44          140      
Vertical      0          2           15

Horizontal - negative Offset values shift picture left
  Vertical - negative Offset values shift picture up
NOTES:
The documentation from MIT implies this utility might work for the DVI output only. However there is some uncertainty on this and it may work with DVI and VGA out. I have only tested DVI and confirmed it works.

According to their instructions you must disable

Config Panel->VGA->Enable DVI Output

for this utility to take effect. I just followed their instructions and did not experiment further.

Prior to using syncsetup, you should run the MyHD player once and exit.

If you have not run MyHD player since booting, the Front/Back porch will
not have been loaded and the syncoffset program will read them as zero.
It doesn't affect the function of syncoffset, but could be confusing to
the user.

I suggest when running syncsetup, do not exit until your session is
complete. Change some values, press save, start MyHD player, see how
it looks, exit player, change some more values, press save, start MyHD
player, etc. The reason I don't suggest exiting syncsetup is because
when it restarts, the front/porch values will reflect your previous
Offset change, but the Offset field will be reset to zero. This can be
confusing to end user.

If you totally mess everything up, you can always delete the appropriate
registry values and the player will load the defaults

----

syncoffset.zip 8.5322265625k . file

ScanSetup.zip 6.9462890625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip ScanSetup.zip (6.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: zip syncoffset.zip (8.5 KB, 2 views)
post #4848 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 PM

Dont see what you guys are talking about but my dell works when i set the resolution to 1080i mode just fine.

Now I dont know if its the true resolution or not because my monitor is only 1680x1050, but it works.
Heres a picture.
LL
post #4849 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 PM

Well is there a way to hook my cable box through my hd? so i get those channels on my lcd
post #4850 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dont see what you guys are talking about but my dell works when i set the resolution to 1080i mode just fine.

Now I dont know if its the true resolution or not because my monitor is only 1680x1050, but it works.
Heres a picture.

Johnny,

Didn't say that you could not get 1080i on the Dell, just that it could not be 1:1.

post #4851 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well is there a way to hook my cable box through my hd? so i get those channels on my lcd

Nope.

post #4852 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Johnny,

Didn't say that you could not get 1080i on the Dell, just that it could not be 1:1.

GOTCHA!
post #4853 of 12511 Old 12-23-2005, 09:58 PM

So is there suppose to be one wire cable internet that i am using ingot Atn1 to get everything to work?
post #4854 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

You have to define everything. You can tune UN-encrypted QAM cable channels, which normally means your local stations that are carried by your service. I'm afraid I am a satellite subscriber (have been for years) and know very little about digital cable , but I believe that you should also be able to tune analog service.

post #4855 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mis-read what I said. I have two paragraphs explaining how to determine IF the dell is doing a good job deinterlacing the 1080i signal. I did NOT say it flat out would not do it (since I don't know). Secondly you can't 1:1 pixel map an interlaced resolution; you need to deinterlace the 1080i to display it on the 1080p screen. One reason I brought this up to flykid was a number of other posters in the past complaining about this with the dell. A number of flykid's comment made it sound like he/she had a problem with this also. Sometimes when you try to help a person with a problem you need to collect information first. Many times the collection process is hampered by the slow interaction of the forum process as compared to, say, a phone call or person to person visit.

EDIT: You know I am not used to sleeping this late; I am a bit foggy otherwise I would have noticed most of my comments were already made by others above. I did not mean to beat a dead horse.

-Andy
post #4856 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

more on flykids trouble.

Since I have the same cable provider as flykid I can tell you IS connected to the cable by virtue of the channels he DOES see. He just needs to pick out a sub that is HD. As I told him 101.4 should be one. I only use the cable for PBS so it is the only one I ever remember. I still think he needs to separate his two possible problems out to track down what is happening. Flykid, did you try the sub-channel button on the remote (do it while in HD mode) to look for 101.4? If that looks good I can help you get further with more channels but one step at a time.
post #4857 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

kei,

Finding a windows desktop on one of your local OTAs is pretty funny but also just a little scary
post #4858 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

more on flykids trouble.

Since I have the same cable provider as flykid I can tell you IS connected to the cable by virtue of the channels he DOES see. He just needs to pick out a sub that is HD. As I told him 101.4 should be one. I only use the cable for PBS so it is the only one I ever remember. I still think he needs to separate his two possible problems out to track down what is happening. Flykid, did you try the sub-channel button on the remote (do it while in HD mode) to look for 101.4? If that looks good I can help you get further with more channels but one step at a time.

Or better yet, rescan with the virtual channel option checked?
post #4859 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldet5 View Post

Or better yet, rescan with the virtual channel option checked?

Yep, that might be better. flykid just has to not be freaked out by the large number of channels that will appear, many that wont show anything. I just figured if he saw _something_ show up it would motivate him on to this step.
post #4860 of 12511 Old 12-24-2005, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

kei,

Finding a windows desktop on one of your local OTAs is pretty funny but also just a little scary

Not as bad as the CP/M command line I saw a few years ago.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page