Family PC which is constantly upgraded:

MDP-130
P4 530 Prescott 3.0, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775
XP120 CPU heat sink with low volt Nexus 120cm fan
ABIT AS8 865PE Chipset
Corsair TWINX512-3200XL 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Xtra-Low Latency Memory
Zalman Northbridge HS ZM-NB47J
SilenX 300W PSU
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with ATI Silencer 1.2 - Loses refresh rate out of Standby so may be upgraded
Zalman FB123 PCI fan bracket and low volt Nexus 120cm fan
Plextor DVDRW
XP Home with SP2
HT on

QAM only connected to CRT monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 12477 Old 01-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

There is also an updated driver version 1.66.01 that fixes the zero-byte capture bug (I think--but sengsational thinks not--so, Dale, how'd that test go anyway?).

I've been visiting our friends to the south (and that's not South Carolina, by the way) for the week, so I'm just getting back to this. It wouldn't have been too painful to catch-up if it weren't for all of the ranting!

Anyway, much to my displeasure, the system performed flawlessly on that ZBC test. Also, while I was gone, the PC recorded something like 15 shows, hybernating between each show after 15 minutes of inactivity. I watched a few of the shows it recorded, they were perfect. I can only presume that the rest are perfect. So, while I was away, things went perfectly swimmingly. I think if everyone who had a perfect day with their MyHD put a note here, we wouldn't have enough bandwidth.

Quote:

Whenever I'm not screwing around with my HTPC system, MyHD just works.

Yeah, the less I use my PC, the fewer bugs I see. Maybe I should just stop using it! Just KIDDING! Seriously though, I agree. If all I do is schedule 'em and watch 'em, there's very rarely a problem. But then life gets boring and I change something ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldet5 View Post

I'm under the impression that the non intel chipsets seem to have more problems but thats just an impression. I have no real data.

But you DO own Intel stock! Ha! No, really, I just thought I'd post to say that my AMD Athlon system seems at least as stable as average. I had my 15 minutes of fame doing a repeatable ZBC, but that was before the latest patch.

Hasta La Vista

--Dale--
post #5463 of 12477 Old 01-21-2006, 02:56 PM

It is very funny that this happened this way, but my rock solid computer with the myhd 130, flaked out after I reported it ran with no problems. After some serious vacuuming, and a little new thermal compound on the heatsink, voila, rock solid again. Just figured I would pass this on. Myhd started taking lots of clock ticks, and the computer ran sluggishly, then Myhd started stuttering audio, then video. A thorough cleaning fixed all.

Troy
post #5464 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my replacement cards last week. The good news is the tuner on this card works. The bad news is that a day or two after installing, the computer locks up. I would see a black screen where nothing worked except a hard reboot and then an uninstall/reinstall. Recently, I left it running and it ran for 2 days and I was able to record some shows, then it locked again. This time I could see the desktop, but it took a hard reboot (actually took 3 tries) to recover. Any suggestions on where to start looking. Window's event logs don't show anything. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard. The video card is ATI/Connect 3D Radeon X850XT 256MB PCIe.
post #5465 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here.

Thanks.
post #5466 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 PM

The drivers are listed here
ftp://ftp.mitinc.co.kr/pub/MyHD/DualMyHD/

I'm assuming this lets you mount two myhd in one box (but I do not know fro sure)

Anyone know if this gets around the problem of playing back while recording?
TIA

--G
post #5467 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 02:48 PM

When I record channel 30 (KUWB - The WB) on my Mdp-130, it plays back fine on my computer using the MyHD Software (using version 1.66u)

When I play it on my JVC SRDVD-100U, it plays fox news channel audio and no video. In looking at the file with HDTV to MPEG2, there are channels 30.1 and 99.11 and 99.12 in the stream.

99.11 and 99.12 are feeds from USDTV (which broadcasts in my area, but I don't subscribe to). On my samsung set top box I get the audio (but not video) for these channels as well, but they are on their own subchannels.

My question is why would the MyHD card record this with the broadcast I am currently recording AND how do I make it stop. I am guessing the MyHD card doesn't know how to treat them, since they are somehow scrambled since I don't pay for them. I have no desire to get or subscribe to USDTV channels, I would just like them off the broadcasts I record.

All other channels seem to record and play back fine on my SRDVD-100U player.

Thanks,
Allen
post #5468 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakotay2 View Post

When I record channel 30 (KUWB - The WB) on my Mdp-130, it plays back fine on my computer using the MyHD Software (using version 1.66u)

When I play it on my JVC SRDVD-100U, it plays fox news channel audio and no video. In looking at the file with HDTV to MPEG2, there are channels 30.1 and 99.11 and 99.12 in the stream.

99.11 and 99.12 are feeds from USDTV (which broadcasts in my area, but I don't subscribe to). On my samsung set top box I get the audio (but not video) for these channels as well, but they are on their own subchannels.

My question is why would the MyHD card record this with the broadcast I am currently recording AND how do I make it stop. I am guessing the MyHD card doesn't know how to treat them, since they are somehow scrambled since I don't pay for them. I have no desire to get or subscribe to USDTV channels, I would just like them off the broadcasts I record.

All other channels seem to record and play back fine on my SRDVD-100U player.

Thanks,
Allen

In the settings for you 130 card make sure "record sub channel only" is ticked. I made that mistake and it taxed my processor so bad the recording was unwatchable due to audio dropouts. It also wouldn't allow me to ff or rew during playback. I checked that box and recorded another HD show and it fixed it. Also greatly reduced file size from 8gb to a little over 2gb for a one hour show.
post #5469 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405480 View Post

In the settings for you 130 card make sure "record sub channel only" is ticked. I made that mistake and it taxed my processor so bad the recording was unwatchable due to audio dropouts. It also wouldn't allow me to ff or rew during playback. I checked that box and recorded another HD show and it fixed it. Also greatly reduced file size from 8gb to a little over 2gb for a one hour show.

I will try that! Thank you. That was a setting I hadn't payed much attention to before.

Allen
post #5470 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

I got my replacement cards last week. The good news is the tuner on this card works. The bad news is that a day or two after installing, the computer locks up. I would see a black screen where nothing worked except a hard reboot and then an uninstall/reinstall. Recently, I left it running and it ran for 2 days and I was able to record some shows, then it locked again. This time I could see the desktop, but it took a hard reboot (actually took 3 tries) to recover. Any suggestions on where to start looking. Window's event logs don't show anything. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard. The video card is ATI/Connect 3D Radeon X850XT 256MB PCIe.

My guess: Marginal power supply
post #5471 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

The drivers are listed here
ftp://ftp.mitinc.co.kr/pub/MyHD/DualMyHD/

I'm assuming this lets you mount two myhd in one box (but I do not know fro sure)

Anyone know if this gets around the problem of playing back while recording?
TIA

--G

George, that's an ancient piece of sw. It did work for Joe Q and some others back when it was fresh, but I think that you'd find it lacking lots of features now (including QAM recording, BTW).
post #5472 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My guess: Marginal power supply

Doubt it, 500W and no hard drives in the case. What else?
post #5473 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What brand and model?
post #5474 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 05:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

There's a LOT more to a power supply than the wattage. A high quality 300W power supply will be far more reliable than a cheap 500W power supply. Wattage also doesn't mean the power supply isn't defective .
post #5475 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As jldet5 and gsr say, "whose '500W'?" Not all 500W PSUs are equal--and in particular if yours is an older model it may not have as much juice available to the 12V rail as current ones normally do. You might even be better off with a new 300W PSU.

Other possibilities, but less likely, are overheating and memory module mismatching.
post #5476 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No drives in the case? That might be a place to start...TPete...any ideas on problems related to that ?
post #5477 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As jldet5 and gsr say, "whose '500W'?" Not all 500W PSUs are equal--and in particular if yours is an older model it may not have as much juice available to the 12V rail as current ones normally do. You might even be better off with a new 300W PSU.

Other possibilities, but less likely, are overheating and memory module mismatching.

I built this computer recently. I used an Antec Phantom 500 @ $180 - not inexpensive. According to the box, 17A at 12V.

Overheating - it runs cool and is not overclocked. Memory module mismatching - I bought the pair together, so that's unlikely. Besides, the computer has been running fine now for about 4-5 months since I built it.
post #5478 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3 View Post

No drives in the case? That might be a place to start...TPete...any ideas on problems related to that ?

Two 15K SCSI drives are in a separte case in the closet - so I won't hear them.
post #5479 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Two 15K SCSI drives are in a separte case in the closet - so I won't hear them.

Sorry for the naivety, but i'm not sure how that works...is it connected by firewire or what?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+? Is that dual processor? Could it be causing similar issues like hyperthreading does? How about tbe PCI-E card...digital connection has a list of known incompatable pci-e cards, is it on that list?

Just throwing some ideas out there. sounds like a pretty prime rig nonetheless.
post #5480 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3 View Post

Sorry for the naivety, but i'm not sure how that works...is it connected by firewire or what?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+? Is that dual processor? Could it be causing similar issues like hyperthreading does? How about tbe PCI-E card...digital connection has a list of known incompatable pci-e cards, is it on that list?

Just throwing some ideas out there. sounds like a pretty prime rig nonetheless.

I have a scsi card in the computer and string a cable from the back of the card to the box in the closet. I've been doing this for ~10 years or so. I found that the pitch from the hard drives causes tinnitus (ringing in my ears) - which is a real pain. My PVR boxes are in the basement and I feed the cable from there to the PC.

I thought the dual processor might be the issue - but from what I've read, it only limits some functions and should not be causing the problem I'm seeing. I do wonder about the PCI-E slot and how that is handled. I had checked the list of motherboard/video cards - but I'm not on the list. Any idea why it doesn't work with some motherboards?
post #5481 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I built this computer recently. I used an Antec Phantom 500 @ $180 - not inexpensive. According to the box, 17A at 12V.

Overheating - it runs cool and is not overclocked. Memory module mismatching - I bought the pair together, so that's unlikely. Besides, the computer has been running fine now for about 4-5 months since I built it.

I suggested memory last because I doubted that it would cause an "after days of success" sort of failure. Overheating (of something, in PSU or elsewhere) seems a more likely cause, but your PSU seems not to be the sort that would have marginal design (although, as Geoffrey suggests, it could be an offspec unit). "Beats the heck outta me, Lieutenant!"

The dual processor aspect also strikes me as an unlikely source of this sort of failure--and contrary to sterno3's comment, I'm unaware of documented HT problems, since they clearly don't happen here, despite my attempts to find them. There are allegations of such, though, so if you can disable one processor for testing, that might be interesting. In a similar long-shot vein, you might pull one of the DRAM sticks for testing to see if it affects the time-to-failure on your system.
post #5482 of 12477 Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The dual processor aspect also strikes me as an unlikely source of this sort of failure--and contrary to sterno3's comment, I'm unaware of documented HT problems, since they clearly don't happen here, despite my attempts to find them. There are allegations of such, though, so if you can disable one processor for testing, that might be interesting. In a similar long-shot vein, you might pull one of the DRAM sticks for testing to see if it affects the time-to-failure on your system.

I was refering to the recent alegations that hyperthreading leads to a more unstable system when turned on...sorry to bring it up, I know that there has been a lot of mis-information regarding myHD & hyperthreading, so i shouldn't have added to it.

Just looking for a possible chink in the armour.
post #5483 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I suggested memory last because I doubted that it would cause an "after days of success" sort of failure. Overheating (of something, in PSU or elsewhere) seems a more likely cause, but your PSU seems not to be the sort that would have marginal design (although, as Geoffrey suggests, it could be an offspec unit). "Beats the heck outta me, Lieutenant!"

I'll see if I can figure out how to turn one processor off and try that. I do appreciate the help.
post #5484 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 AM

not sure how legit this question will be....but will the MYHD ever support avi file playback? I have some HD content in avi format that would be nice if I could play using the MyHD card.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #5485 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

wmessin--

No.
post #5486 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been using "Capture subchannel" successfully since it was made available, but last night it didn't work as expected, so I REALLY need some help to make sure I get it right--there's only one more broadcast of the PBS show again late tonight/tomorrow a.m.

The station is local PBS, physical channel D22. There are four virtual channels associated with this: 18-1, 18-2, 18-3, and 18-4. When I tried to record 18-2 (w/subchannel-only selected) I got instead 18-1! The recording was even labeled correctly as per my selection, which looked like this: D18-2(22) on Ant1.

I believe & hope that if I try again but this time UN-check "Capture sub-channel only" that it will record all the streams, and I can extract 18-2 from among them. Is this right? Any ideas why 18-1 was recorded and not 18-2 as specified?

I gotta get this right or I'm in deep weeds w/the S.O.!
post #5487 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin View Post

not sure how legit this question will be....but will the MYHD ever support avi file playback? I have some HD content in avi format that would be nice if I could play using the MyHD card.

I would doubt it. MyHD has a hardware decoder and will play only MPEG-2 file format (MPG, MPEG, TS, TP or TRP) with hardware acceleration but will not play anything else.
Though it would certainly be nice to have hardware acceleration to play other formats.
post #5488 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I have been using "Capture subchannel" successfully since it was made available, but last night it didn't work as expected, so I REALLY need some help to make sure I get it right--there's only one more broadcast of the PBS show again late tonight/tomorrow a.m.

The station is local PBS, physical channel D22. There are four virtual channels associated with this: 18-1, 18-2, 18-3, and 18-4. When I tried to record 18-2 (w/subchannel-only selected) I got instead 18-1! The recording was even labeled correctly as per my selection, which looked like this: D18-2(22) on Ant1.

I believe & hope that if I try again but this time UN-check "Capture sub-channel only" that it will record all the streams, and I can extract 18-2 from among them. Is this right? Any ideas why 18-1 was recorded and not 18-2 as specified?

I gotta get this right or I'm in deep weeds w/the S.O.!

Yes, unchecking "capture subchannel only" will give you the full TS in the capture file, as before. My guess about the screwup is that the channel's PSIP has changed since your latest channel scan. I suggest either rescanning the input or deleting all the subs listed for D22 and manually adding D22 back, which will cause MyHD to resort out the PIDs and subchannel assignments. (But in your shoes, I'd capture the full TS tonight anyway! )
post #5489 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xela19115 View Post

I would doubt it. MyHD has a hardware decoder and will play only MPEG-2 file format (MPG, MPEG, TS, TP or TRP) with hardware acceleration but will not play anything else.
Though it would certainly be nice to have hardware acceleration to play other formats.

There's some part of "no" that you don't understand?
post #5490 of 12477 Old 01-23-2006, 08:58 AM

I'm using titan tv to shedule recordings on a myhd-130. Works great, but the titan tv response last night was horrendously slow(sunday night 1/22/06 it took 30 to 45 seconds to respond to an update screen or record). Does titan just grind to a halt sometimes? Is verizon throttling me ( other sites pop right up)

What I'm trying to figure out is it me or titan, I connect through verizon dsl. The connect is by wire

dsl modem-- router---switch-- pc

TIA
--G
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page