MyHD MDP-130 - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6121 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are there any universal remotes that controls the MyHD remote?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

That may be but it is very hard to figure out just what {firewire function} is supported.

Actually, it isn't: MyHD supports IEEE-1394 for capturing programs to DVHS.

MyHD supports recording captures to DVHS on Windows XP machines that do not have Hyperthreading or multiple CPU cores. (This is the same as recording to HDD, except that the output is to a DVHS cassette instead of a disk file)

It does not support "dubbing" of HDD files to IEEE-1394 (DVHS or DTV).
post #6123 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xela19115 View Post

I know that some QAM capable cards had a firmware or setting limitation that wouldn't allow the card to scan past channel 125. Some linux drivers can and were hacked to remove that limit. Do you think that MIT can update their drivers to go past channel 125 during channel scan? Unless the limitation is in hardware on the tuner they use.

First things first: document the need. As I said, I know of one U.S. cableco that's using channels above 125 for HDTV. I've figureed out and published a Registry hack for FusionHDTV cards to allow the two known users on that cableco to access those channels. I'm not going to ask MIT to go to the effort of rewriting their sw to scan the upper channels "just because they're there". Not only would that be a questionable investment of MIT engineering effort it would also effectively waste time for the many thousands of MyHD owners whose cablecos don't use those channels.
post #6124 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

First things first: document the need. As I said, I know of one U.S. cableco that's using channels above 125 for HDTV. I've figureed out and published a Registry hack for FusionHDTV cards to allow the two known users on that cableco to access those channels. I'm not going to ask MIT to go to the effort of rewriting their sw to scan the upper channels "just because they're there". Not only would that be a questionable investment of MIT engineering effort it would also effectively waste time for the many thousands of MyHD owners whose cablecos don't use those channels.

Not to be nasty but I paid X amount of dollars for this card. Spec says that it can go up to 860 MHz and yet the manufacturer artificially limits the functionality of said product just because they don't think that vast majority of users will need or want it. How about they give me the full functionality of the card and I'll make an informed decision on whether I'd like to scan 125 channels or 135 channels.

P.S. My local system, Comcast in Ivyland, PA is a 860 MHz system. Comes directly from manager of technical operations at the system.
post #6125 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not to be nasty but I paid X amount of dollars for this card. Spec says that it can go up to 860 MHz and yet the manufacturer artificially limits the functionality of said product just because they don't think that vast majority of users will need or want it. How about they give me the full functionality of the card and I'll make an informed decision on whether I'd like to scan 125 channels or 135 channels.

P.S. My local system, Comcast in Ivyland, PA is a 860 MHz system. Comes directly from manager of technical operations at the system.

...and how many HDTV stations are there on your system above channel 125? Maybe you should trade in your card for the one that fully supports your 860-MHz system, which would be...um...gee, I guess that there isn't one, huh?
post #6126 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:

...and how many HDTV stations are there on your system above channel 125? Maybe you should trade in your card for the one that fully supports your 860-MHz system, which would be...um...gee, I guess that there isn't one, huh?

There may be quite a few unencrypted digital channels above channel 125 besides HDTV channels. And in your earlier reply you mentioned that its a driver level fix and my guess it shouldn't take too many engineering man-hours to put the fix in. And if one doesn't ask chances are one won't get it... Before MIT completely stops supporting the software development for the MyHD-130 users should at least ask for these features. If MIT decides not to implement it then I'll let it go. Since you are a designated point of contact with MIT I brought it up. No need to patronize me.
post #6127 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nor is there any need to patronize me. You brought up the disgruntled-customer card, not I. There's a contact email address on MIT's website that you're free to use for making suggestions to them. I've already explained my reasons for not making such a suggestion myself.
post #6128 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

MyHD supports recording captures to DVHS on Windows XP machines that do not have Hyperthreading or multiple CPU cores. (This is the same as recording to HDD, except that the output is to a DVHS cassette instead of a disk file)

Thanks.. that clears it up. My guess is the DVHS cassette appears in the "capture to" box.

Does anyone see an advatage to DVHS capture? Perhaps cost? HDD can be had for as little as 32 ¢/GB (on pricewatch or 25¢/gb if you put up with rebates).
post #6129 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks.. that clears it up. My guess is the DVHS cassette appears in the "capture to" box.

Does anyone see an advatage to DVHS capture? Perhaps cost? HDD can be had for as little as 32 ¢/GB (on pricewatch or 25¢/gb if you put up with rebates).

Actually, it says "TAPE". I think that DVHS is becoming a "legacy" system, since the tapes are not cheaper than HDD space and DVHS isn't popular enough to take this week's episode of Horny Housewives over to the Jones' to watch with them. I note that even in the AVS Forum posts to the DVHSTool support thread have become few and far between. Not one of my better "investments", IMO.
post #6130 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I know that some QAM capable cards had a firmware or setting limitation that wouldn't allow the card to scan past channel 125. Some linux drivers can and were hacked to remove that limit.

You are referring to the case with the air2pc card. Changes to the affected linux driver were not a "hack" in the colloquial sense of the word. There was an error in the printed documentation for the demodulator. When this was discovered (by AVS's own "tbdombrosky"), the correct value was amended within the driver. You can read for yourself the [sarcasism mode on] sweeping code change [/sarcasim mode off]

Errors in manufacturer documentation aren't necessarily common, but they certainly do occur. Yours truly even happened to, by chance, spot something which lead to the discovery of a minor error in the Philips product documentation for the TUV1236D - the very frontend in question for the MyHD MDP-130 - and, as in the case with the air2PC, the affected driver code was ammended.

Quote:

Do you think that MIT can update their drivers to go past channel 125 during channel scan? Unless the limitation is in hardware on the tuner they use.

There is no hardware limitation.

Quote:

I'm not going to ask MIT to go to the effort of rewriting their sw to scan the upper channels "just because they're there"..... I've already explained my reasons for not making such a suggestion myself.

While you are certainly not Cliff, and have outlined your reasons, I will note that your late predecessor was going to check with MIT about the very issue of expanding the tuning capability to 860MHz. I have no idea if he ever found the chance, but rather suspect he was unable too.
post #6131 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotoDeNY View Post

I did/do click on the "Digital Cable" tab,
As for the TVHELPER,
TTV PVR is set to "MYHD" as is the "TV TUNER" . I have Comcast wheither that makes a difference (I don't think so).

Any other suggests? Any One?

What happens when you clear out temporary internet files, then click the record button in TitanTV, then it doesn't pop-up the scheduler, then you go to view your temporary internet files, then you left-click copy the tvpi file to the destop, then you double click the tvpi file?

--Dale--
post #6132 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post

I'm loving the my-hd 130, and am trying to integrate it into MCE (only as a way to launch myhd.) I can launch it easily enough, and then set girder up to maximize MCE again after MYHD closes.

I am however, having an issue with launching MYHD and having it start on a particular input. I use the s-video input to scale my directivo (SD and NBA) and would like to be able to launch it in file mode for HDTV viewing. Are there any command line parameters that can be passed when you launch the exe?

I've tried searching this tread for command line, but the word command pops up in tons of places, not related to my query.

Thanks,

Click the 'watch now' on TitanTV for each station, dig each of those tvvi files out of your temporary internet files folder, saving with 'easy' names. Now instead of launching MyHD directly, use the titan tv helper application with the tvvi file for the station you want to be tuned to.
--Dale--
post #6133 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Click the 'watch now' on TitanTV for each station, dig each of those tvvi files out of your temporary internet files folder, saving with 'easy' names. Now instead of launching MyHD directly, use the titan tv helper application with the tvvi file for the station you want to be tuned to.
--Dale--

You tricky devil...

Great idea...definatly Meta-FAQ material.

Might want to add my 'start watching while still recording' work around from here as well.

Given enough clothespins & ductape, we'll get this thing running they way we want.
post #6134 of 12477 Old 03-01-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The obvious -because you can capture 5c copy once material (HBO Discovert HD etc) and save more than the 8 or so total hours you get in a cable co box.

For an MDP-130 installation alone doesn't make sense as HD space is cheaper and if you can tune it you can save it to hard drive
post #6135 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

TPeterson.... are you married? If so, maybe you should have your wife read through this thread, paying note to your responses.... I think that, all-in-all, you've done a good job here,and I thank you, I really do, BUT, Cliff's "mature soul" crotchitiness seems to have morphed into a little bit of adolescent chest-puffing here....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #6136 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Are there any universal remotes that controls the MyHD remote?

Any learning remote control can learn the MyHD IR signals from the remote. Alternatively, the MyHD software can learn to recognize the IR signals from a most remote controls.
post #6137 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadsaab View Post

Any learning remote control can learn the MyHD IR signals from the remote. Alternatively, the MyHD software can learn to recognize the IR signals from a most remote controls.

I think that the OP was asking about pre-programmed remotes that know the MyIRC codes. I'm not aware of any.
post #6138 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

TPeterson.... are you married? If so, maybe you should have your wife read through this thread, paying note to your responses.... I think that, all-in-all, you've done a good job here,and I thank you, I really do, BUT, Cliff's "mature soul" crotchitiness seems to have morphed into a little bit of adolescent chest-puffing here....

Dr. Phil-- Thanks for dropping by and sharing.
post #6139 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Jim,
Not to slow this thread from heading downhill in a hurry, but...

I notice that you have both the MDP-130 and the Fusion5USB in your rig. At the risk of having to repeat yourself for the millionth time, can you give a little insight into how you see the strengths/weaknesses of each? Do you see any differences in smoothness of playback, QAM decoding reliability and stability, etc? Thanks, and apologies if this takes us too far off topic...

Bob

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #6140 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob--

There have been several AVS Forum threads on "MyHD v. Fusion" (e.g., this one). I suggest that you post your question to one of those rather than taking us in that direction here. (Despite the fact that it may be "higher ground". )
post #6141 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

at the risk of dredging bottom here...

My application is purely OTA at this time so caveat emptor... I used the MDP-100 and then MDP130 for quite some time and was very happy... but wanting to play around with SageTV and MCE, I decided to get another card.... I had no empty slots, so after weighing Sasem vs. Fusion for awhile, I chose the F5USB.... I liked it so much (on my 61" RPTV and 6600GT card), and it worked well enough (reliably), that I switched all my scheduled recordings to the Fusion and was preparing to remove the MyHD to install in another machine (I've given up on seeing the stupid HT/DualCore issues solved).... but, things got to the point that I was out more and needing to record conflicting shows.... sooooo... it stays (for now).... compare the two, well - we all know the feature set strengths of each.... in my situation, as far as reliability and performance (in MY pc) I think it's a wash... if I watch the files two days later with Theatertek, there's no diff....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #6142 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks, Jim
Since I got my Fusion5USB and joined the ever-growing group of beta testers , I've wondered how the MDP-130 handled QAM, since they don't have the option of updating their QAM decoding routines on a monthly/daily/hourly basis. There's so much talk of "send them a snippet of suspect QAM TS and maybe they can figure-out why you got a BSOD"; I'm amazed that the MyHD doesn't seem to have those problems - maybe it just handles it more gracefully?

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I'll check out those other links that Terry sent also. Please feel free to bicker at will...

Bob

One other thought: Is it worth starting a thread to define "HD runs just fine on my setup"? - hang with me here - I keep wondering when you have few enough or infrequent enough stutters to "run fine". My system can go several minutes of HD watching (1080 or 720) without a single stutter, and then go through a few seconds of freeze-frame animation, then be fine again. Is it my PC, some background process, my video card, the cableco, the content provider, space aliens, or what? Pick ANY thread on the topic and some guy will declare that you really need an NVIDIA 7xxx series card for smooth 1080 playback, and the next poster will say that their system runs HD "just fine" with a TNT2 card on a 486-33. (OK, maybe not that bad, but you get my point )

...there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we don't know we don't know." -D. Rumsfeld
post #6143 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

If I had to put up with stutters every few minutes I would go insane.
post #6144 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

If I had to put up with stutters every few minutes I would go insane.

Nah, I have two kids - it would take more than that...

Actually, what makes it frustrating is not knowing if it's something within my control or beyond it. When I saw all that wierdness during the Olympics (with the HD signal, not Bode M.), folks said it was the network. My cableco, Adelphia, is known for a lot of things, Quality NOT being one of them. My video card, an FX5500 was still on the drawing board when they were rolling out the MX-440, but the 440 is supposed to work "just fine".

Anyway, I'll take your response as a "not fine". Thanks,

Bob

post #6145 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDWV View Post

I've wondered how the MDP-130 handled QAM, since they don't have the option of updating their QAM decoding routines on a monthly/daily/hourly basis.

MIT has handled development in a more, um, "systematic" fashion, and they also have the advantage of hw decoding and dedicated video circuitry, which gives them the luxury of writing more fully trapped (bulletproofed) code without killing performance on those TNT 2 video cards.

Oh, and regarding the MX-440, it really helps to write the tightest code when the (assembly language) programmer has the hardware at hand to play with. As you say, the 5500 wasn't there when that was happening at DViCO some 3-4 years ago. The updates have not re-optimized for new chipsets, AFAICT.
post #6146 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Oh, and regarding the MX-440, it really helps to write the tightest code when the (assembly language) programmer has the hardware at hand to play with. As you say, the 5500 wasn't there when that was happening at DViCO some 3-4 years ago. The updates have not re-optimized for new chipsets, AFAICT.

Wow, I figured that they were just writing to the DirectX API, not writing code to directly access the HW. That could by why we see as many BSOD's as we do when something goes amiss. However, Im much more willing to shell out a few bucks to see if an MX-440 makes a difference than shell out for a 7800GT (which I probably couldn't find in AGP anyway). Thanks.

Bob

post #6147 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob, you don't need to go around the Windows API to optimize a driver for a particular video card's chips. I actually doubt that they did such a thing. The BSOD and (far more frequent) "Access Violation" errors can arise simply from not having the usual (overhead-inducing) bounds checks that high-level languages always insert. Just get a 440 or 4000 (that's "four thousand") and see for yourself how well it works.

Now...have we spent enough time OT yet??
post #6148 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

TPeterson -

I guess I haven't been keeping up with things here. Is there also a registry hack for the MDP130? I have Comcast and would like to try it if it exists, just for curiousity to see if I have any channels there.

I also don't at all keep with the Fusion threads anymore but am still using my F3Q card for background recording. Could you provide a link to that reg hack?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #6149 of 12477 Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tom--

AFAIK, there's no channel-frequency remapping hack for MyHD equivalent to the Directshow Registry Key mod that works for FusionHDTV. But why not check out your local cableco thread here in the Forum to see what channels people with QAM tuners are seeing? Chances are very good that there are no DTV signals up there at all.
post #6150 of 12477 Old 03-03-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I finally did observe (3 times!) the frozen-MyHD-app-on-FF-jump bug lately. It was during heavy FF/REW action on two MyHD-captured H2M-edited (and H2M-nullstripped) Olympics files. I had the video card set up to clone its output to S-Video, so I was able to observe the desktop in the frozen state and confirm that the PC was completely unresponsive to mouse and keyboard, requiring a press of the reset button to recover.

I forget who-all have reported seeing this before, but this experience brings to mind a question for you that I didn't ask before: Have you ever seen this bug when playing a CBR recording? That is, a MyHD recording that's either unedited or edited with all null packets retained?

Also, on VBR files where the bug occurred, was the play-time indicator wildly inaccurate, showing a "current time" many times longer than the full program length?

I suspect that this bug does not occur except with VBR files and that the degree of inaccuracy of the play-time marks on the OSD and control panel is also related to the propensity for this bug to jump up.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page