post #6211 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemery View Post

Yes I do. Getting the video playback is my basic problem. It is basically hit/miss to get the video. I've read others talking about MS Anti-Spyware being an issue on other problems and I'm wondering if this could be my problem. Do you think Hyper-Threading could be an issue too?

Since I've never before heard of such a problem, AFAICR, I still need more information about your setup. What sort of audio and video connections are you using? No, I don't think that hyperthreading is an issue here. My first guess is that your MDP is either defective or not seated firmly in its PCI slot. I'm totally baffled as to how you can get audio during a BSOD, as I was under the impression that Windows stops all processing ("to avoid damage to your computer", IIRC) when it issues a BSOD. How can you continue to get data from the HDD in that case??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Sarcoma, kiteless, and ???--

I have the following explanation from MIT about what the problem is likely to be with your systems that play VOBs well in File mode but have A/V sync problems in DVD mode.
From my own experience, I'd recommend that you first try rolling back your AC'97 driver to the one that is provided by the mobo manufacturer (rather than one that you may have found on the Realtek or other soundchip vendor's website).

Good luck!

--Terry

These are great hints to try and pinpoint the problem. Sounds like a weekend project for me; I'll report back hopefully soon. Many thanks again for investigating this! Can I buy you a beer?
post #6213 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, all, I have a myHD 120 which I recently purchased from a fellow AVSer. I love it, so far, but I have a qustion and I hope I'm posing this is the correct place.

What is the best way -- or the way that you guys us -- to take the myHD .tp file and then edit out the commercials and create a file that is playable through WinXP MCE or burnable to a DVD ?

Is there maybe a step-by-step walkthrough for us myHD users to edit commercials and change file format?

What I'm after is being able to record on one PC using myHD and then network that PC to my main HTPC, which is an MCE box. I'd like to be able to play the myHD file through Windows Media Center (its mostly for the WAF.)

Thanks for your help.

My Specs:

Sony KDF55WF655 HDTV | Pioneer VSX1015TX Receiver | JBL SCS180SC 6.1 Surround Speakers | DirecTV HR20 | HTPC | PlayStation3
post #6214 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

Good point. I guess most people I know who sync with NTP don't complain about the clock at all because everything is so transparent and the clock is almost always spot on, so that is what threw me off.

I wasn't complaining; I was explaining.
post #6215 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post

Generally, the RTC on a computer runs off a separate 32.768 KHz crystal. The spread spectrum settings in the BIOS don't affect this. Besides, enabling spread spectrum doesn't change the average frequency.

Mark

Another genius who knows everything.

I won't even go into xtals on MBs with you but I will say I HAVE a MB (my personal property) whose R.T. clock gets screwed by this setting. I have seen it happen on other MBs. What you think I waste valuable time making stuff up on the AVS forum?
post #6216 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Since I've never before heard of such a problem, AFAICR, I still need more information about your setup. What sort of audio and video connections are you using? No, I don't think that hyperthreading is an issue here. My first guess is that your MDP is either defective or not seated firmly in its PCI slot. I'm totally baffled as to how you can get audio during a BSOD, as I was under the impression that Windows stops all processing ("to avoid damage to your computer", IIRC) when it issues a BSOD. How can you continue to get data from the HDD in that case??

Peterson,

BSOD....Not In terms of "Windows". I'm so sorry for leading you down the wrong path. Let me break it down a little clearer.

1) There is no image or video being displayed when I play my recordings.
2) Sound is great.
3) After several attempts I normally get the video displayed

It is annoying.
Gman
post #6217 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemery View Post

Peterson,

BSOD....Not In terms of "Windows". I'm so sorry for leading you down the wrong path. Let me break it down a little clearer.

1) There is no image or video being displayed when I play my recordings.
2) Sound is great.
3) After several attempts I normally get the video displayed

It is annoying.
Gman

Oh, OK, so you're talking about a no-signal blue screen on your TV. Evidently the settings you're using from MyHD aren't to your TV's liking. In that case, I suggest that you try (1) other output resolutions or (2) using syncoffset (see the MetaFAQ thread) to find a setting that it likes better.
post #6218 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post

What is the best way -- or the way that you guys us -- to take the myHD .tp file and then edit out the commercials and create a file that is playable through WinXP MCE or burnable to a DVD ?.

Look at VideoReDo Plus. It is a $50 program but there is a free trial. I take everything to .mpg using it.
post #6219 of 12477 Old 03-08-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Winston, check the MetaFAQ thread for some other recommendations too.
post #6220 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:

Don't know what to suggest next. I'm able to get DVI output to display on my LCD regardless of whether DVI output setting is enabled or not. My screen was only off less than 20 pixels on each axis so I used very small increments to get the picture centered and I always had feedback because I didn't have blue screen indicating the display can't sync.

Personally I think 10-15 increments are pretty large, I would think your first juob would be to just get a picture to display regardless of whether it is centered or not. So basically I would just vary one axis by increments of 3 until a picture comes up. If it doesn't delete the registry entry and start from scratch with the other axis. Once you have a picture displaying, it is much easier to get the proper settings.

Hello again
I'm kinda lost here...

I asked the store for a new MYHD package.

Step 1 - I went and formated (!!) my htpc, AMD 3500, MSI k8, and installed a new XP, sp2.
I installed just a few basic programs. quicktime, mpc and theatertek.
Then I installed the MYHD card+daughter and its software. The new 1.66 vers.

Step 2 - I tryed viewing through the daugter card dvi out, (the lower dvi output) with no loop, to my panasonic 900.
No picture. blue screen.
Step 3 - I connected the dvi loop cable to my vga card, and the picture came back, with the usual, about 120 pixels horizontal right shift. (the first card wasnt bad it seems).

I tryed to connect the pana 900 to another dvi source, the htpc vga card itself, and there's no shift.

Why isnt there any picture when only the dvi's connected?
Why does MYHD need the loop to the vga, in order to produce a dvi output?

???

Thanks
post #6221 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:

The separate driver that taz291819 mentions refers to the earlier, nonintegrated driver and app packages. Since version 1.65, they are supplied in one executable, as newHDfan noted. In these cases, you can just run the integrated installer instead of the driver installer when the Windows "found new hardware" wizard appears.

BTW there is an updated 1.66.0.1 driver for app 1.66 (only!). If you install 1.66, also install updated driver afterward. If you stay with 1.65, don't install the updated driver.

taz291819 and TPeterson, thanks for your help!

My MyHD-130 arrived yesterday. I followed the steps in your posts. The installation was very smooth.

In the Channel List window, there are Cable, Air, IRC, HRC, and Auto. I'm curious on what IRC, HRC are.

After I have done "autoscan" several times with Fairfax Cox Cable input, here are my findings:

(I also posted the following in the local-Washington, DC thread.)

I can get the following: CBS-HD, Fox-HD and WETA (all 4 subchannels).

I cannot get NBC-HD and ABC-HD at all. According to a fellow at the local thread, "(Fairfax Cox Cable) NBC-HD and ABC-HD are up at 843MHz" (out of the range of MyHD-130?).

The signal strength is at about 65%-70%. On relatively high motion scenes, there are "macroblocks" (in last night's PBS-HD Nature program).

I expected better signal strength and less "macroblocks" with Cox Cable signal than OTA signal. But the findings was contrary to that.

Being not able to get NBC-HD and ABC-HD from Cox Cable is not a concern to me now. But out of curiosity, does anyone get those two channels from Fairfax Cox using MyHD-130? If so, how?

Thanks again!
post #6222 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by newHDfan View Post

I cannot get NBC-HD and ABC-HD at all. According to a fellow at the local thread, "(Fairfax Cox Cable) NBC-HD and ABC-HD are up at 843MHz" (out of the range of MyHD-130?).

I believe from past posts MDP-130 goes to RF125, which IIRC is 801MHz. Someone mentioned there might be potential to go up to RF135 but I wasn't sure about the outcome of that discussion.
post #6223 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itai View Post

Step 1 - I went and formated (!!) my htpc, AMD 3500, MSI k8, and installed a new XP, sp2.
I installed just a few basic programs. quicktime, mpc and theatertek.
Then I installed the MYHD card+daughter and its software. The new 1.66 vers.

Step 2 - I tryed viewing through the daugter card dvi out, (the lower dvi output) with no loop, to my panasonic 900.
No picture. blue screen.
Step 3 - I connected the dvi loop cable to my vga card, and the picture came back, with the usual, about 120 pixels horizontal right shift. (the first card wasnt bad it seems).

I tryed to connect the pana 900 to another dvi source, the htpc vga card itself, and there's no shift.

Why isnt there any picture when only the dvi's connected?
Why does MYHD need the loop to the vga, in order to produce a dvi output?

Look at FAQ entry B.13
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647837
post #6224 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 AM

I just finished building a new PC with new MDP-130 card. Last night I noticed that the aluminum fin heat sink on the large MDP-130 component runs extremely hot. The heat sink temperature is right at the point where it is too hot to touch. I am running the PC with cover off. Motherboard and CPU temperature monitors show temperatures around 38C so they are fine. The PC and MyHD card all are working fine but I am worried that the tuner card should not be running so hot. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
DonP
post #6225 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHDfan View Post

taz291819 and TPeterson, thanks for your help!

My MyHD-130 arrived yesterday. I followed the steps in your posts. The installation was very smooth.

In the Channel List window, there are Cable, Air, IRC, HRC, and Auto. I'm curious on what IRC, HRC are.

After I have done "autoscan" several times with Fairfax Cox Cable input, here are my findings:

(I also posted the following in the local-Washington, DC thread.)

I can get the following: CBS-HD, Fox-HD and WETA (all 4 subchannels).

The signal strength is at about 65%-70%. On relatively high motion scenes, there are "macroblocks" (in last night's PBS-HD Nature program).

I expected better signal strength and less "macroblocks" with Cox Cable signal than OTA signal. But the findings was contrary to that.

Being not able to get NBC-HD and ABC-HD from Cox Cable is not a concern to me now. But out of curiosity, does anyone get those two channels from Fairfax Cox using MyHD-130? If so, how?

Thanks again!

1) "64"-"69" is normal for full-strength cable reception on MyHD.

2a) Try turning off the MyHD desktop overlay window (ctrl-shft-O) to reduce video glitches from cable sources. Read the MetaFAQ for more details.

2b) If 2a doesn't seem to solve the problem, try capturing samples of the same program from both OTA and cable. Then use the freeware TSReader Lite to analyze them and compare the video PID bitrates. My guess is that you'll find out that Cox is shaving bandwidth off of the PBS OTA source and that's what's giving you macroblocking.

3) Channel rf125 is the current software limit for MyHD. I believe that the tuner is capable of tuning up to rf135, but heretofor there has been little reason to include that spectrum in channel scans. It seems that the time for a change may be about at hand.... (IOW, my cable just yesterday got some feeds in the 126-134 range, so I can actually test this function. )
post #6226 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

Sarc,

See if you can find a setting in your BIOS called spread spectrum or something like that. It may say it is used to reduce RF interference produced by the computer. Turn it off if it is set. Having said this it totally amazes me how bad some MB clocks are. I have a big, name brand, very expensive, 4 CPU multi-mega-server at work that keeps bad enough time I need to set it hourly. Very sad.

BINGO! I turned spread frequency off and didn't hear an audio flaw in three minutes of movie playing (they were coming at about 30 second intervals prior to making the change). I'll give it a full-length movie tonight to see how it performs but I have some level of confidence that this solved the problem. In all likelihood, it also will help my computer keep accurate time so I don't need the constant clock resets, but it's more hassle than it's worth to change the NTP settings.

Thanks for the help!

Sarc

Are not I sensing make?
post #6227 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Look at FAQ entry B.13
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647837

sfhub
Thanks, that explains the "No picture without the loop cable".
btw, what, or where is this switcher located?

The problem is, I get a blue screen when I disable "dvi output" in order to use synchsetup.
You said, you have a picture when "dvi output" is disabled.
Is there something concerning the dvi-hdmi cable I have?
Is there a check I can do in order to rule out cable malfunction?
Perhaps connecting the projector with a different cable?
The cable's doing a fine job with the vga card, but maybe MYHD's different in its cable needs.
What is dvi-i vs dvd-d?
Thanks.
post #6228 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sfhub
Thanks, that explains the "No picture without the loop cable".
btw, what, or where is this switcher located?

The problem is, I get a blue screen when I disable "dvi output" in order to use synchsetup.
You said, you have a picture when "dvi output" is disabled.
Is there something concerning the dvi-hdmi cable I have?
Is there a check I can do in order to rule out cable malfunction?
Perhaps connecting the projector with a different cable?
The cable's doing a fine job with the vga card, but maybe MYHD's different in its cable needs.
What is dvi-i vs dvd-d?
Thanks.

Did you you verify you have MyHD set for RGB (ie not YPbPr)? If you have it set for YPbPr, DVI output will not work.

When you disable DVI output, it doesn't actually disable DVI output, it changes the output timings of the video. If the timings are outside of what your display is expecting you could get blue screen. Personally I would proceed with syncoffset using small increments to see if the picture comes back. You may have to try a few times. Don't take big jumps.

What you describe doesn't sound like a problem with the DVI->HDMI cable. Those problems tend to be sparkles (tiny dots sparkling on the screen), but anything is possible.

DVI-I is a superset of DVI-D and DVI-A cables. It is basically a DVI-D cable with some extra pins to carry the analog signal. It shouldn't be necessary in your case. Some connectors on source devices and displays may not allow a DVI-I cable to be plugged in even though from an electrical perspective the DVI-I cable would carry the signals fine. Since you are using PC over HDMI, I would just stick with DVI-D cables.
post #6229 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM

sfhub
Yes, it's on RGB.
I did try synchsetup before, at 10-15 increments with syncsetup.
You told me than, to do smaller steps.
Would you sugest going from zero upward (or downward), in single steps?
That could mean 200 per side (minus & plus) times. Not "a few times".

Thanks for your support, btw!
:-)
post #6230 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM
mdv
AVS Special Member

You wouldn't be the first

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

... What you think I waste valuable time making stuff up on the AVS forum?

post #6231 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

sfhub
Yes, it's on RGB.
I did try synchsetup before, at 10-15 increments with syncsetup.
You told me than, to do smaller steps.
Would you sugest going from zero upward (or downward), in single steps?
That could mean 200 per side (minus & plus) times. Not "a few times".

Thanks for your support, btw!
:-)

If it's a small adjustment, you'll only need a few steps. And if you need to hit it within 2 or 3, even if it's a larger adjustment you'll perhaps never find it with big steps. BTW, note that the tool is "SyncOffset"--you're confusing the names of the two available tools.
post #6232 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefDon View Post

I just finished building a new PC with new MDP-130 card. Last night I noticed that the aluminum fin heat sink on the large MDP-130 component runs extremely hot. The heat sink temperature is right at the point where it is too hot to touch. I am running the PC with cover off. Motherboard and CPU temperature monitors show temperatures around 38C so they are fine. The PC and MyHD card all are working fine but I am worried that the tuner card should not be running so hot. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks.
DonP

Don, that's rather typical. Both my old HiPix and my current MyHD ran hot. I use a card bay cooler by antec that fits into the slot below the MyHD. The down side is it takes a slot. There others that mount on the side. Or you can just fit a fan into the side of your case. I don't know that you'll have any problem without one but I vaguely recall reading of such in one of these marathon MyHD threads. A fan is cheap insurance.

Les
post #6233 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Auber View Post

Don, that's rather typical. Both my old HiPix and my current MyHD ran hot. I use a card bay cooler by antec that fits into the slot below the MyHD. The down side is it takes a slot. There others that mount on the side. Or you can just fit a fan into the side of your case. I don't know that you'll have any problem without one but I vaguely recall reading of such in one of these marathon MyHD threads. A fan is cheap insurance.

Cliff mentioned that he used a fan. I've only used them in systems that seem to have a lot of heat sources in a tight spot. Neither of my current MyHD systems has a fan on/near the MDP, but both have adequate exhaust fans on the case and in the PS.
post #6234 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

If it's a small adjustment, you'll only need a few steps. And if you need to hit it within 2 or 3, even if it's a larger adjustment you'll perhaps never find it with big steps. BTW, note that the tool is "SyncOffset"--you're confusing the names of the two available tools.

Yes, I'm using SyncOffset, thanks.
I've gone through -50 to 50, with single increments, with a blue screen staring at me.

post #6235 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I'm using SyncOffset, thanks.
I've gone through -50 to 50, with single increments, with a blue screen staring at me.

Have you tried a different video format like 1280x720?
post #6236 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma View Post

BINGO! I turned spread frequency off and didn't hear an audio flaw in three minutes of movie playing (they were coming at about 30 second intervals prior to making the change). I'll give it a full-length movie tonight to see how it performs but I have some level of confidence that this solved the problem. In all likelihood, it also will help my computer keep accurate time so I don't need the constant clock resets, but it's more hassle than it's worth to change the NTP settings.

Thanks for the help!

Sarc

I will not assume it is ok until you watch many movies with no problem. You know how computers like to mess with your head. You get all happy the problem is gone then wham! Fingers crossed for you here.
post #6237 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Les and TPeterson -- thanks for the responses. I am using a Silverstone LC03 HTPC case which is fairly cramped but I do have available PCI slots. The bay cooler suggestion looks good as long as it does not add too much noise. I will give it a try.
DonP
post #6238 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Have you tried a different video format like 1280x720?

I have gone through all of them.
1280x720 looks the best, of course, on the pana 900, so it's my default res.
At 1080i, the shift is smaller, btw.
post #6239 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 02:39 PM

I have had my HDPC with the MyHD card for about 2 months now. A few days ago I deleted and rescanned all channels. I am about 55 miles from Dothan Al. and get Ch4.1 without problems, however when I rescanned it would not scan in. if I selected CH4 it says no signal. Ch4.1 same as Ch 36.1 digital. I manually added Ch 36 and it displays ok but will not display Ch 4.1 only 36.1
I also have a Rat Shack Acurian HD receiver and it scans Ch 4.1 without problems. How can I make the MyHD card tune to ch 4.1 without having to select Ch 36.1

I have also been using the advanced record function using the remote, although manually setting a future day recording is a pain, is there a better way whithout having to use a program that I cant access without the remote?

thanks
post #6240 of 12477 Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have gone through all of them.
1280x720 looks the best, of course, on the pana 900, so it's my default res.
At 1080i, the shift is smaller, btw.

I guess my question is have you tried syncoffset with the 720p output instead of the 1080i output I'm assuming you have been trying it with so far?

I suggest you delete the registry entry (in the documentation) to start from scratch.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page