AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by itai View Post

It works!!!!! hurray!
Why did'nt I think of good ol' VGA before?
Thank you, and sfhub and TPeterson for your support!
At last, the HD chain is complete!

Well, I wish _I_ had mentioned it sooner. I would have but I assumed you did not want to use VGA. better late than never though. Since the vendor was so "helpfull" maybe they will take the daughtercard back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

Well, I wish _I_ had mentioned it sooner. I would have but I assumed you did not want to use VGA. better late than never though. Since the vendor was so "helpfull" maybe they will take the daughtercard back?

I didn't think about it, or, it was in my "do not go there" folder, so deep, that I didn't even see it...
Oh well...
Yes, I could ask for returning the daughter card. There's no use for it, right?
Maybe someday? cant think of a use, with the pana 900 around.
Is the VGA picture as good as the DVI's?
I believe it's a tiny bit softer from what I see, but I might be hallucinating.
Maybe I'll a/b them tomorrow.
post #6303 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

Another MyHD bug to report:

If CPU usage is at 100%, scheduled recordings don't start on time. The recording can be delayed by as much as several minutes, or until CPU usage goes down. This happens even when the task using all of the CPU is at low priority, e.g., using MPEG2Repair in the background.

I can confirm that sometimes recordings do not start on time. I've had recordings that started a minute or two late. I had one start 8 minutes late. There was even one that started 44 minutes late, but something else might have been going on with that one. It's really obvious for me because I have a tool that attempts to match-up the predicted file name (from the MyHD registry beforehand) with the actual file name. If it starts one minute late, it won't find it (...2200.ts vs ...2201.ts). But I figure these are "my own fault" because I'm usually transcoding three things (got three instances of HDTV2DVD running) or some other such crazyness.

--Dale--
post #6304 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 03:23 PM

Itai,

I had the same problem as you with Panasonic plasma instead of projector.
My picture through DVI out shifted 3 Inches to the right when it came in. I do not see any difference between the VGA Component connection and DVI. Both are very sharp and I believe you may see slight difference if you use a giant projector. As far as the daughter card goes you can still use it for optical toslink out to your receiver if you want that is what I am doing.
post #6305 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 04:29 PM

montster
I think I'll keep it, and try connect it to my pioneer 435 plasma, via a dvi2hdmi cable.
I hope the plasma is less finiky about dvi timing.
The Pana 900 shows a 10 inches of shift!...
No more!
:-)
post #6306 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itai View Post

montster
I think I'll keep it, and try connect it to my pioneer 435 plasma, via a dvi2hdmi cable.
I hope the plasma is less finiky about dvi timing.
The Pana 900 shows a 10 inches of shift!...
No more!
:-)

I would recommend keeping it. There were people with MDP-120s that could not get the DVI daughter card since it was no longer made. What about 3 or 4 years from now when you need DVI for display and VGA won't work? What about potential that the only way to port HD to a display is to keep it digital - although I suppose the MyHD is no way HDCP or DRM capable and probably never would be. At least you have an optical input to receiver if nothing else - plus I found I liked playing with dual HD output from MyHD. Its not officially supported but it does work although one or the other of my displays had to be off a little.
post #6307 of 12547 Old 03-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

been a while has there beeen any updates on the 500 channel limit for QAM scanning trying it right now set to digital and no virtual channels...looking for hbo and the sopranos tonight
post #6308 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balazer View Post

Another MyHD bug to report:

If CPU usage is at 100%, scheduled recordings don't start on time. The recording can be delayed by as much as several minutes, or until CPU usage goes down. This happens even when the task using all of the CPU is at low priority, e.g., using MPEG2Repair in the background.

Same thing for scheduling with Titan. The reservation won't "take" until the CPU becomes available.

-Mike

I didn't do it
Nobody saw me do it,
You can't prove a thing

An Haiku by Bart Simpson
post #6309 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 AM

RalphArch
I'll keep it, it's not worth the hassle of returning it.
Next DVI out replacment,will more likely be an HDMI-HDCP VGA card in the near future.
The MYHD route is dead-ended.
I sent them an email asking for support, nothing in return.
They dont seem like they care, MIT.
post #6310 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrmf View Post

been a while has there beeen any updates on the 500 channel limit for QAM scanning trying it right now set to digital and no virtual channels...looking for hbo and the sopranos tonight

Is your IP charging for punctuation marks?
post #6311 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

OK, here are some other possibilities to look at:

1. MDP firmly seated in PCI slot?
2. Try running with only DRAM stick 1 and, if that fails, with only stick 2.
3. Long shot: Pull the DVB card.

BTW, there is a distinct lack of "me too" chorus here, so I doubt that you have much company on this planet with this problem.

BTW^2, I assume that you have actually confirmed by looking at the desktop display, -tabbing, etc., that the machine really and truly is locked up and not simply stuck with MyHD in an unresponsive state?

I finally had a chance to look into this bug. It really would have been much more customer friendly if MIT support had done the debugging, but apparently that is asking too much. Having said that, here is what I've found...

I first tried to narrow-down the symptom and after many hangs realized that the hang always occurs at the start of the fast forward, rather than after a fast forward has occurred. The other key item is that when using the slider on the screen app (rather than the remote) the system never hangs. Also using the FF button on the screen app never produced a hang (although my sample size is limited for that function).

That that system works properly with the screen app (but hangs when using the remote) seems to indicate that the memory is fine. If there was a memory problem, then whenever that memory location was hit, either by using the remote or by using the slider, the system would hang. This doesn't occur. On top of that the system does not use a swap file (the O/S only uses memory) and the system has been stable since December except for this bug.

I used similar logic for checking the hard drive. I have some progs that write ts files and some that scan ts files and everything works properly. If there was a hard drive problem then the problem should show up more often. If it were a MyHD problem then *likely* the problem would also occur when FF/Rew with the screen app (no remote).

After a while, it occurred to me that the only thing unique in the hang-up was the use of the remote. Since the hang always occurs just as the button is pressed, that provided more evidence that the MyHD card was fine but the remote software or hardware had an issue with my setup. Perhaps the order of USB connections?

I then looked at the registry to find try to find a parameter that would relax the remote timing. The only item that looked promising was, MaximumTransferSize which I doubled to x2000. I also lowered the debug setting to DebugLevel=3 (was 2) just to make sure that some debug was not getting in the way.

Since making those changes (and only those changes) the MyHD card has not hung. I've only made it through three files, so this isn't yet conclusive. However, in the past three files was sufficient for this problem to occur.

The reason I am appending to the forum is in the hopes that other people who have the hang-up issue (there were a few) would try this and see if it fixes their computer's problem as well. It would also be interesting to find out exactly what MaximumTransferSize does. Is it the max transfer size of remote commands?

Let's hope this solves the problem since it was the last (known) bug on my system, for the items I use.
post #6312 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Andy, this seems to be a reasonable lead, except that I'm not finding either MaximumTransferSize nor a DebugLevel associated with MyIRC in my Registry. Where are you finding these values?
post #6313 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:

Andy, this seems to be a reasonable lead, except that I'm not finding either MaximumTransferSize nor a DebugLevel associated with MyIRC in my Registry. Where are you finding these values?

I did a find on "MyIRC" using Regedit. It was about 10 hits into the search.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have the computer with the MyHD card here. I can append more this evening.

Andy
post #6314 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is it possible some earlier installation set those values for Andy, but they were eliminated in newer installs and they default to builtin values when registry is not present?

Perhaps if Andy just removed those entries completely, matching your setup, everything would work fine?

Of course if you do end up finding the entries in your registry, that blows that theory out of the water.
post #6315 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

no ...there not charging me anything.
post #6316 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 02:56 PM

I've searched, but have not found anyone trying to do quite the same thing as me w/ the MDP-130.

I'd like to have the option of viewing the MyHD fullscreen output on either my PC monitor OR my TV via a VGA-to-Component cable. I should mention I have a Toshiba SDTV w/ component inputs (480i). I've not yet purchased an HDTV.

Would it be possible to do this using a simple VGA A/B switchbox? In other words, insert the switchbox into the connection chain and then have one vga cable going to the monitor and also have a VGA to 3 RCA component cable going to the TV. I would then switch to Component output in the MyHD settings, flip to the 'B' switch and be able to watch the direct MyHD output on my TV. Could this possibly work?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I'm very new to all of this.

the_gunner
post #6317 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner View Post

Could this possibly work?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I'm very new to all of this.

the_gunner

You can't have component and VGA output from MyHD at the same time. You control this from the MyHD config menu or the on screen menu system. So you could sort of do what you want but you would need to switch the MyHD output at the same time you switch the VGA switch. Not very convenient. You would want to change the output rez also since your monitor would do considerably better than 480i.
post #6318 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

gunner--

That might work, but it would be simpler to operate the rig if you put in a Y-connection in the VGA output and run one leg to your monitor and the other via a transcoder to your TV. I don't know if the reflections introduced in the line by a passive Y-connector would be objectionable or not. If so, you could use an active splitter instead.

{Edit: netman raises a good point about the rez difference. That alone probably makes the scheme you're thinking about not very useful.}
post #6319 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 06:12 PM

I have an issue with my OSD where sometimes I can go through the recorded files list very quickly and everything reacts instantly to the remote (this is perhaps 10% to 15% of the time)

The rest of the time the OSD is very slow and sluggish to react when surfing through the recorded files list.

Anyone know if this has been addressed before in this forum and if so on what page? I could not find it if it has been addressed.

Thanks.
post #6320 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post

I have an issue with my OSD where sometimes I can go through the recorded files list very quickly and everything reacts instantly to the remote (this is perhaps 10% to 15% of the time)

The rest of the time the OSD is very slow and sluggish to react when surfing through the recorded files list.

Anyone know if this has been addressed before in this forum and if so on what page? I could not find it if it has been addressed.

Thanks.

Slow OSD is a known thing. I noticed on my system that once I play a DVD the menus are fast until I restart MyHD. See if you have the same experience.
post #6321 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy81 View Post

Thanks.

See "menu sloth bug" in the Meta FAQ.
post #6322 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 08:38 PM

I have been reading through this whole MyHD-130 FAQ. Thank you for all of the information. I actually have the MP-120 and I am having a problem with overscan, and the image not being centered. I tried using the scansetup.exe and the syncoffset.exe. Neither seemed to do anything. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin
post #6323 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by capucci View Post

I have been reading through this whole MyHD-130 FAQ. Thank you for all of the information. I actually have the MP-120 and I am having a problem with overscan, and the image not being centered. I tried using the scansetup.exe and the syncoffset.exe. Neither seemed to do anything. Any other suggestions?

Did you disable DVI prior to using the utilities? Did you restart MyHD App after saving the values? Have you tried VGA instead of DVI?
post #6324 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

You can't have component and VGA output from MyHD at the same time. You control this from the MyHD config menu or the on screen menu system. So you could sort of do what you want but you would need to switch the MyHD output at the same time you switch the VGA switch. Not very convenient. You would want to change the output rez also since your monitor would do considerably better than 480i.

Yeah, I realize I would have to manually switch the output type in MyHD depending upon whether I'm watching something on the monitor or the TV. So I guess it would work then. And you're right, the convenience factor is low, but I'm more concerned with quality than convenience (as much quality as I can get out of what I have, that is). I like watching shows from the couch with audio passed to my Denon. I've tried using the graphics card's s-video out before, set as a 2nd display, but I could never get a very good picture, so thats why I'm considering this option. This is my poor man's solution until I pony up for an HDTV.
Quote:

gunner--

That might work, but it would be simpler to operate the rig if you put in a Y-connection in the VGA output and run one leg to your monitor and the other via a transcoder to your TV. I don't know if the reflections introduced in the line by a passive Y-connector would be objectionable or not. If so, you could use an active splitter instead.

I hadn't thought of just trying a Y-connector. By reflections, do you mean something like ghosting? The transcoder would add a bit of convenience, but I'd still have to make the manual switch in MyHD settings to change the rez to 480i, right?

Thanks for your input, guys. Perhaps I should just dump this idea and get an Xcard or something similar?
post #6325 of 12547 Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner View Post

....but I'd still have to make the manual switch in MyHD settings to change the rez to 480i, right?

"manual" yes, but using a remote keyboard or programmable remote it wouldn't be terribly inconvenient.
post #6326 of 12547 Old 03-14-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

After a storm rolled through last week, I seem to have lost my serial IR receiver (it sometimes works, but mostly fails tu initialize; it is possible that it's the serial port itself, since the on-board ethernet was also lost, but I switched to the second port and that didn't work either, and don't really have anything I could easily test the port with). Can any serial IR receiver be used as a replacement? Is there a source for a replacement, IR or USB?

Xesdeeni
post #6327 of 12547 Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 AM

Slightly OT, but, speaking of storms, any recommendations for myhd protection from lightning strikes via the OTA input?

I protect the computer power supply by running through a surge protector & backup, I also use a surge protector for the DSL phone line. The residual vulnerability is a surge down the OTA antenna cable.
post #6328 of 12547 Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Xesdeeni and George--

I believe that DC (and probably other MyHD vendors) stock serial and USB IR receivers so that you can purchase a replacement.

There are surge arrestors, even some in UPS boxes, for antennal leads. (We don't use 'em out here where there are "no" electrical storms, but I see adverts)
post #6329 of 12547 Old 03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing is that I did have the computer on an UPS. The modem was on one too, including the phone line. We'll see whether their warranties actually work in practice.

Xesdeeni
post #6330 of 12547 Old 03-14-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

Slightly OT, but, speaking of storms, any recommendations for myhd protection from lightning strikes via the OTA input?

I protect the computer power supply by running through a surge protector & backup, I also use a surge protector for the DSL phone line. The residual vulnerability is a surge down the OTA antenna cable.

If your coax comes in from outside. You should use a grouding block to a grounding rod. If you have a outside antenna that should also be grounded.
Heres a diagram on this site: hdtvprimer(dot)com/ANTENNAS/basics.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page