MyHD MDP-130 - Page 219 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6541 of 12477 Old 03-26-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe that is the safest option Terry.

IIRC, in my playing around with the database, I believe that the epg.mdb MUST exist! If bad the backup is tried. If it too is bad, you're SOL! MyHD will NOT recreate it. You must re-install or have a backup handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 12477 Old 03-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr
I believe that is the safest option Terry.

IIRC, in my playing around with the database, I believe that the epg.mdb MUST exist! If bad the backup is tried. If it too is bad, you're SOL! MyHD will NOT recreate it. You must re-install or have a backup handy.
I have an idea...I blanked out the rows of my file, and have posted it here...that way if it gets corrupted, you can go to the meta FAQ (hint hint), grab a copy of the blank_epg.zip.txt, remove the .txt, unzip the epg.mdb, in place of your corrupted one. Viola!

blank_epg.zip.txt 367.072265625k . file
tglaw9 likes this.
post #6543 of 12477 Old 03-27-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

In my experience (is IME an acronym?) this was not the case. When I manually replaced epg.mdb with epg_backup.mdb (after re-naming) then it worked. So the backup, altho OK, did not automagically get utilized by myHD.

I'd not likely have found this except for TP's post (how many times have you saved my butt?). I didn't really have time to re-install and all that implies.

I did note that after installing the backup, somehow the virtual channel preference had gotten de-selected, and one of them was incorrect. So I have no idea what happened, but am kinda thankful this issue arose cuz now I see what is in the mdb file which I've been unaware of to this point.
post #6544 of 12477 Old 03-27-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe you are right. I know for sure that the backup is used whenever there are problems tidying up the DB. I assumed it would have been used anytime there was a problem loading also.

Doesn't matter really. Never hurts to have a fresh, clean backup handy.
post #6545 of 12477 Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 AM

I deleted all the digital channels in the channel list in MyHD-130 and did an autoscan using Fairfax Cox Cable (QAM) as input. I found that Fox is missing in the channel list after the autoscan. I did a few more autoscans and couldn't get Fox.

I guess Fairfax Cox moved Fox to a higher frequency? As I said in a previous posting, I could not get ABC and NBC from Cox (because of frequency limitation in the MyHD-130 software). Now I cannot get Fox.

Just my new observation.

Thanks!
post #6546 of 12477 Old 03-27-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
newHDfan--

Where was Fox before you deleted it? Did you try to manually ADD that rf channel when the autoscans failed to pick it up?
post #6547 of 12477 Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 PM

I wonder if they marked it subscription by mistake (or on purpose - yes, I know the law as we think it reads).
post #6548 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 06:57 AM

Hi, TPeterson,

I don't remember where Fox was (I only remember it was channel 5). I'll try to manually add channel 5 and see what will happen.

Thanks!
post #6549 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 07:04 AM

Haven't found any posts exactly like this, so I thought I'd solicit comments.

MyHD 130 has been working great for the past month. I especially enjoy some of the material (& picture quality) on the PBS HD sub channel (3.5) in my area. There are two other PBS SD channels as well: 3.1 and 3.2.

Just yesterday though, when I tune MYHD to PBSHD 3.5, I get the programming (duplicated & Standard definition) from PBS 3.2, and on top of that, the programming that is normally on PBS 3.2 is now on PBS 3.1 (swapped).

I know this because I have a Humax HFA100 set top HDTV box in my HT, that still is displaying the PBS channels as before....(including the HD channel) even after I rescanned all the channels on the Humax (thinking maybe the local PBS station was having problems).

It gets better. Only the PBS channels are this way using MyHD; all the other HD channels I receive (& their subchannels) are unchanged using MyHd.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all MyHD drivers and the application a couple of times, and rescanned all channels to no avail; no PBS HD, and the 3.1 & 3.2 programming is swapped (again, using another HDTV Tuner as a reference).

I didn't think of clearing out the Registry though (as I read in a similar "scanning issue" post). I'll try that when I get home from work.

I can't recall changing ANYTHING that would affect one channel. And since PBS HD is coming in great on the Humax, I'm wondering (unless i did something stupid) if the local PBS made a change recently, and because of design differences, only the MyHD Tuner is reacting to it.

Any ideas, suggestions, psychiatrists?

"The dfference between men & boys is the cost of their high-tech toys!" :)
post #6550 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoma View Post

I have not watched any further DVD's on the computer since we straightened this out, and I do not use the HTPC to listen to CDs so I cannot comment on that. However, everything is running smoothly since the change.

Sarc

Thanks for letting me know. However I updated my BIOS and looked through every setting and there is no spread spectrum options. It is an Abit IC7-G, so it looks like I'll be doing an add in card. No biggie. Gives me an excuse to knock the dust off of the credit card.

Doug

Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!
post #6551 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddtech View Post

I can't recall changing ANYTHING that would affect one channel. And since PBS HD is coming in great on the Humax, I'm wondering (unless i did something stupid) if the local PBS made a change recently, and because of design differences, only the MyHD Tuner is reacting to it.

Any ideas, suggestions, psychiatrists?

For what it's worth, this happens from time to time with my PBS affiliate also. A simple rescan of that particular channel fixes it. Others in my community have issues also, and they aren't using the MyHD, they're using regular STBs.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #6552 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

For what it's worth, this happens from time to time with my PBS affiliate also. A simple rescan of that particular channel fixes it. Others in my community have issues also, and they aren't using the MyHD, they're using regular STBs.

Thanks taz291819 for the reply.....that's reassuring.....at least, I guess it is! I'll see what happens today with PBS & MyHD and the other HD tuner.

post #6553 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Some debugging suggestions, which use other software: TSReader and/or VideoReDo.

Record several minutes of the complete mux. Do not record just a sub-channel. You need the whole mux for the debugging to work.

Then, read the file into TSReader ( http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/ ) using the file source device. That will show you ALL of the PIDs and what the mux contains. You'll even get thumbnails of all the channels that have video.

You can also read the file into VideoReDo ( http://videoredo.net/ ) and select the stream to look at. If VideoReDo shows you all of the video streams in the order you think they should be in, then MyHD may be having trouble with the PSIP information that assigns stuff.

ATSC is a horrible beast. There has been too many instances where different pieces of equipment react differently to the same ATSC stream. I have STBs, D-VHS decks and now MyHD. IMHO, it is a horribly defined standard that is too easy to muck up. There are some TV station engineers that agree with me.

Try these two tools on the recording and see what you get.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #6554 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Some debugging suggestions, which use other software: TSReader and/or VideoReDo.

Record several minutes of the complete mux. Do not record just a sub-channel. You need the whole mux for the debugging to work.

Then, read the file into TSReader ( http://www.coolstf.com/tsreader/ ) using the file source device. That will show you ALL of the PIDs and what the mux contains. You'll even get thumbnails of all the channels that have video.

You can also read the file into VideoReDo ( http://videoredo.net/ ) and select the stream to look at. If VideoReDo shows you all of the video streams in the order you think they should be in, then MyHD may be having trouble with the PSIP information that assigns stuff.

ATSC is a horrible beast. There has been too many instances where different pieces of equipment react differently to the same ATSC stream. I have STBs, D-VHS decks and now MyHD. IMHO, it is a horribly defined standard that is too easy to muck up. There are some TV station engineers that agree with me.

Try these two tools on the recording and see what you get.

Thanks for the suggestions mrvideo, I'll try them and see what gives. Reminds me of the time when different branded DVD players would react differently to the same DVD.

post #6555 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHDfan View Post

Hi, TPeterson,

I don't remember where Fox was (I only remember it was channel 5). I'll try to manually add channel 5 and see what will happen.

Thanks!

That would only do you some good if the original rf channel was in fact "5", which it almost certainly wasn't. Check with the local reception forum thread for your area and see what the current rf channels are. Then you can try manually adding those to MyHD. I haven't seen MyHD fail to find channels on a repeated scan lately, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this approach but it's worth a shot.
post #6556 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHDfan View Post

I seriously doubt that channel 5 oon your cable system is where the digital channel was located. Channels in that range are used almost exclusively for the analog channels. Many cable systems still allow a TV without a cable box to get the 2>13 channels.

Since I do not have cable, I have no idea how digital channels are mapped, compared to OTA DTV channels, i.e. where you tune, for example, channel 11 DTV and it says that it is channel 47-1, instead of 11-1. Most STBs don't let you display the real channel numbers, only the virtual channel. MyHD, on the other hand, allows either or. I have no idea what it doesn't with cable systems.

The tuner section in the 130 is pretty damn good. When I had it scanning both analog and digital OTA channels in my area, it even locked on two LPTV channels that were very snowy. Having it miss a cable channel just seems too far fetched.

But, a thought came to mind. Who owns the Fox affiliate in your market. If it is Sinclair, that will be why it is missing. Sinclair is requesting money from all cable companies that want to carry the DTV signal. Most cable companies, rightfully so, are saying FU. That is a problem in my local market. All of the local HD channels are on the cable system, except for Fox, because Sinclair owns the local Fox affiliate. So, your Fox affiliate may have gotten pulled when an agreement couldn't be reached.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #6557 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions mrvideo, I'll try them and see what gives. Reminds me of the time when different branded DVD players would react differently to the same DVD.

TSReader and VideoReDo are two excellent prgrams that you have as part of your suite of HTPC programs.

VideReDo is expecially suited to editing out those commericals from what you record with MyHD, without decoding/recoding the HD MPEG-2 stream. The program will edit on any video frame, not just I-frames. It will even fix damaged streams.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #6558 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

TSReader and VideoReDo are two excellent prgrams that you have as part of your suite of HTPC programs.

VideReDo is expecially suited to editing out those commericals from what you record with MyHD, without decoding/recoding the HD MPEG-2 stream. The program will edit on any video frame, not just I-frames. It will even fix damaged streams.

Would you believe it's working now?
Uninstalled everything, ran a couple of registry cleanup programs (with one I actually found a couple of entries after the uninstall), reinstalled everything, rescanned all the digital channels, and everything is working now! The only thing i did differently this 3rd time around was run the registry cleaners; surely THAT didn't do the trick?!

Weird City.

At any rate, I can still download the HTPC programs for future use & experimentation

Thanks again all.

post #6559 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would you believe it's working now?

I know you're back in action, but for future readers...scans will yield different results at different times of the day with some PBS stations because they compile a different stream at times (ie one HD and one SD during prime time, and 4 SD otherwise). Also, if you uninstall MyHD, just delete the MyHD branch in the registry; that's everything, it's not spashed throughout the registry like some programs.
--Dale--
post #6560 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Does anybody know if Comcast scrambled ESPN-HD today in the Arlington/WashDc Area?
Until today I had no trouble getting ESPN-HD with MY HD video card.

All of a sudden I can't get ESPN-HD with myhd tuner video card. This forum of users may not use this type of Eqpmnt, but I just want to check all relevant forums.

Does anybody know who I can find out?

Thanks
post #6561 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemery View Post

Does anybody know if Comcast scrambled ESPN-HD today in the Arlington/WashDc Area?

Sounds like a question for the "Arlington/WashDc Area" thread......
post #6562 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Considering MIT isn't going to develop the MDP-140, what happens when all the MDP-130's are gone?

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #6563 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalt View Post

Considering MIT isn't going to develop the MDP-140, what happens when all the MDP-130's are gone?

I'm confused by your question. What does the manufacture of a current model have to do with the lack of a new model coming out soon? Was the 130 declared as a limited production item? If not, they can keep making and selling those for as long as they desire.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #6564 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anybody know [how] I can find out?

As Tim said, you can check your local Comcast thread on the Local Reception Forum. Also, you can capture a full-TS clip of that channel and feed it to TSReader Lite, which will show you what it finds, scrambled or not. {Clarification: TSRL will specifically show an encrypted subchannel as "scrambled"} However, if you're seeing a dark, silent channel where ESPN-HD used to be, that's pretty conclusive by itself.
post #6565 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Maybe they encrypted it like it is supposed to be. The only channels you can pick up here in Woodbrdige are the local Digital stations since they aren't encrypted.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6566 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:

MyHD 130 has been working great for the past month. I especially enjoy some of the material (& picture quality) on the PBS HD sub channel (3.5) in my area. There are two other PBS SD channels as well: 3.1 and 3.2.

Just yesterday though, when I tune MYHD to PBSHD 3.5, I get the programming (duplicated & Standard definition) from PBS 3.2, and on top of that, the programming that is normally on PBS 3.2 is now on PBS 3.1 (swapped).

It gets better. Only the PBS channels are this way using MyHD; all the other HD channels I receive (& their subchannels) are unchanged using MyHd.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all MyHD drivers and the application a couple of times, and rescanned all channels to no avail; no PBS HD, and the 3.1 & 3.2 programming is swapped (again, using another HDTV Tuner as a reference).

As it only is with one channel, PBS, they either changed their PIDs or something in their setup. This isn't uncommon. Many people went through the same thing as their local NBC stations changed things around prior to the Olympics.

However, to pick up the the new info, YOU MUST DELETE THE CHANNEL IN THE PROGRAM BEFORE YOU RESCAN.

Right or wrong, to save time, the MyHD software skips over channels that it has already saved the info on during the scanning process.

Deleting that channel and all subschannels associated with it is the only way you will get the new multicast layout.

TPeterson - this might be something MIT should add to the that screen - a quick scan (such is the case now) and a FULL RESCAN option.
post #6567 of 12477 Old 03-28-2006, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

...this might be something MIT should add to the that screen - a quick scan (such is the case now) and a FULL RESCAN option.

They already have a full rescan option. That's what you get when you perform an Auto scan with the Mode set to Auto. Your comments about skipping previously scanned channels are correct but apply only to scans with the Mode set to Analog or Digital.
post #6568 of 12477 Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Until today I had no trouble getting ESPN-HD with MY HD video card.

All of a sudden I can't get ESPN-HD with myhd tuner video card. This forum of users may not use this type of Eqpmnt, but I just want to check all relevant forums.

Does anybody know who I can find out?

Thanks

I would bet they encrypted it. Comcast did the same to ESPN-HD in my location last summer. They did it to ESPN-HD, InHD, and InHD-2 all the same day. I no longer use Comcast anymore.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #6569 of 12477 Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I would bet they encrypted it. Comcast did the same to ESPN-HD in my location last summer. They did it to ESPN-HD, InHD, and InHD-2 all the same day. I no longer use Comcast anymore.

Taz,
I think my luck may have run out on ESPN-HD in the clear. I will find out when I get home later today. I'm sure glad I got the UNC/DUKE game a few weeks ago in HD. I was loving it. Currenlty(shhhhhhh) I still have INHD1 and 2.
post #6570 of 12477 Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....I still have INHD1 and 2.

Don't worry, they'll go away.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List