AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by linetest
Permit a newbie a stupid question here.
I have DirecTV Satellite service. Because of my locale, I will never get cable. I do get some OTA HD stations. I would like to watch and record some OTA HD as well as the occasional SD programming on the PC itself. Maybe cable it to a TV in the future.
Given that.....
I'm not sure what QAM is. Is that a cable TV issue?
And the daughtercard is not needed until I want to hook to a TV correct?
Is the MyHD card the easiest solution for what I want to do?

I do not have an HD TV set near the PC yet. And the big HDTV in the living room has a HDTV Tivo box on it so I'm all set there.
Thank you.

QAM is a type of broadcast that only cable companies use. If you never expect to have cable, you don't need QAM. The daughter card isn't required to hook the MyHD to a TV either. If your future TV has component inputs you can hook the card up to it that way. The daughter card provides a DVI connection which should result in a better picture because it is all digital, but it certainly is not required.

It sounds like a MyHD-120 might be good enough for your needs. The MyHD-130 OTA tuner is suppose to be more sensitive and pull in stations better, but since I have no experience with the 120, it is hard for me to judge. I will say that the 130 tuner is more sensitive than my TV's built in HD tuner.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
**IGNORE... my stupid mistake for not reading the fine print...

I got a disappointment today when my MDP-130 did not arrive as scheduled. Instead I got a nice FedEx door flyer.

I found out the hard way that when ordering from Digital Connection, FedEx will not leave a package at your door even if you have signed a waiver for FedEx. So you have to be one of those 1% who is actually home during the day to be able to receive packages in person.

I called DC after the fact to ask them to tell FedEx that an in-person signature is not required, so now FedEx will hopefully try to deliver tomorrow (Saturday) without me needing to be home (FedEx can deliver until 8:30 at night on Saturday so I'd still have a good chance of missing them). After that I would have to wait until Tuesday (FedEx won't deliver on Monday) and drive an hour to the remote site that FedEx decided to use for this shipment.
post #633 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by JKlenk
I got a disappointment today when my MDP-130 did not arrive as scheduled. Instead I got a nice FedEx door flyer.

I found out the hard way that when ordering from Digital Connection, FedEx will not leave a package at your door even if you have signed a waiver for FedEx. So you have to be one of those 1% who is actually home during the day to be able to receive packages in person.

I have run into this, too ... that's why I always put in the notes "Please leave package in leasing office" as I live in an apartment complex.

You can also leave a note on your door, signed, for Fedex and they'll leave the package (or with your phone number and they'll call you).

As a last resort, you can call Fedex directly, give them the tracking number, and make your own arrangements ...

- litz
post #634 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Argh! I wish DC had made this policy clear on their order page so that I could have gotten this cleared up *before* FedEx tried to deliver.

Did you uncheck the Signature Required box on the order form at Digital Connection?

If you had the package would have been dropped at you door AND you would have saved $2 on the shipping charge. According to Kei people wave signature requirement all the time when placing orders.
post #635 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is a checkbox I believe on the order page to tell them to leave it... although I could be confusing them with another site, I've ordered too much lately.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #636 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
There is a checkbox I believe on the order page to tell them to leave it... although I could be confusing them with another site, I've ordered too much lately.

Echo, echo!
post #637 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by litz
You can also leave a note on your door, signed, for Fedex and they'll leave the package (or with your phone number and they'll call you).
- litz

No, I asked FedEx and they said in this case they will only deliver it in person.
post #638 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by litz
Tsreader already does the same thing out of the box, which is how I've been getting around the issue ...

But TSReader Lite won't (at least, not all of it) so if you want to use free tools it's: TSReader Lite, TStoATSC, and H2 for the job. (Of course, you don't need any of this to simply view the file as-is in MyHD. It's just for those who want to archive a skinnier bit collection. )
post #639 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Argh! I wish DC had made this policy clear on their order page so that I could have gotten this cleared up *before* FedEx tried to deliver.

Did you uncheck the Signature Required box on the order form at Digital Connection?

If you had the package would have been dropped at you door AND you would have saved $2 on the shipping charge. According to Kei people wave signature requirement all the time when placing orders.

So it seems that the folks at DC weren't alone in making hasty misteaks to get these puppies in service.
post #640 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Ugh... yeah I see that now.
post #641 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JKlenk
No, I asked FedEx and they said in this case they will only deliver it in person.

If you turn over the FedEx Notice of Attempted Delivery you will see a section to provide a signature. Just sign it and hang it on the door and FedEx will use that as the required signature and drop the package at your door.
post #642 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by TPeterson
So it seems that the folks at DC weren't alone in making hasty misteaks to get these puppies in service.

You mean there were HDTV afficionados out there who *weren't* chomping at the bit to get their hands on one of these ?!?

(shocked I am ... utterly shocked ...)

- litz
post #643 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I popped open my 130 box... no cable. Just the card . So are we sure every one comes with the cable?

Hey Madman,

Did you call DC so they can send you a loopback cable? DC normally has extra parts and they have lots of extra loopback cables.
post #644 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

If you turn over the FedEx Notice of Attempted Delivery you will see a section to provide a signature. Just sign it and hang it on the door and FedEx will use that as the required signature and drop the package at your door.

Cliff,
This isn't always true and not just FedEx. If it's sent adult proof of signature you must sign in person. They won't leave it if you just sign the door card. All depends on how it was shipped. Normal FedEx isn't a problem. Sign the card and they leave it next day. All depends on what box the shipper checks.

This isn't a problem for me with FedEx as the office is convenient but other carriers can be a real PITA if it's shipped this way. I've never had an issue with DC, great service, but for other retailers check the adult signature required and never indicate the option. For me if it's UPS it's easier to take a day off then drive up to the office.

Les
post #645 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:29 PM

Hi, I am definately looking at getting this card when my HTPC is complete (soon), but hav a few questions regarding hookup that i couldn't find answered in the guide to the 120 (which i assume will be the same). If there is a place for me to find all this info, i am more than glad to look there, I just haven't found it yet.:

A) I am looking to have a multiple monitor setup. the way i understand it currently, i have only one of two options. Either VGA -> monitor AND MyHD to HDTV (mine will actually be a DIY PJ that is DVI, so daughtercard will be needed) --- OR --- use the passthru cable and the PJ will just be a mirror of the monitor.
What i am looking for would be more of a DUAL MONITOR setup that will allow for BOTH, if that makes sense - not a mirror, but ability to show one thing on one, and something else on another, and switch them if i want. mainly, my thought is if i want to watch HD on teh 'BIG' screen while surfing on the web on the 'little' screen, i can - BUT, if I want to surf on the "BIG' screen, or play a game, i can do that as well. I hope this makes sense

B) Please understand i am asking just so I know what will be needed:
In order to recive digital cable, and HD over cable, will I have to tell my provider that i want this added?? I know that in order to get it now, I would have to have a STB (Ugh! I hate those things). I currently have analog basic with the family add-on for more channels, and would like to have the cable go right from my wall to the computer. My provider doesn't offer any local broadcast HD over cable, only like 5-6 extra digital cahnnels (disc, inHD, etc) so I would need to use the OTA for the local channels anyway. So i am just wondering if the MyHD decodes the cable for you like a cable box they would give you, or will they still have to 'turn it on'?I ask as DiscoveryHD would be awesome, and digital would be nice, but i dont know that it's worth an ectra $40/mo for like 5 channels, ya know.

C) With the breakout box, I assume it is for AV input from other STB type devices - DVD, VCR, PSX - when this is inputted thru the MyHD, since the card does it's own Hardware decoding and scaling, will it also scale these signals to larger resolutions, or will it just be expanded (poor PQ)?

D) WAF will be more important than just about everything re: this install and use, so i am looking for some feedback on this. I know that it will not work under the MCE UI, BUT, can it be added to the 'OTHER' section as a shortcut, and then launch from there? That way it will just be a Full Screen overlay (if that's the right term) ontop of the MCE UI, and then when done and a different task is required, it's just minimized, or something like that. It would be running at the same time as MCE if that makes sense. Can this work??
If not, what is a simple way to make a universal remote w/macro spin up the application i want when i want it like a normal TV experience is????

I hope all this makes sense. I appreciate all the help. I have read thru ALOT, and am still trying to get all it together, as i came onto this product only about 3months ago.
Ricoks
post #646 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey Madman,

Did you call DC so they can send you a loopback cable? DC normally has extra parts and they have lots of extra loopback cables.

Eh, I had one left from an old 120 that I trashed. No reason to use it when someone else might need it

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #647 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ricoks--

A) You're right, you can't have dual monitors, as you define it, from MyHD.
B) With the MDP-130, you can view whatever signals your cableco puts on the line unencrypted, which likely does not include any material that they charge extra for and that require a STB.
C) It scales all inputs to whatever output resolution you choose. This makes DVD 720x480i matieral look pretty good but does not make NTSC TV worth watching, IMO.
D) There are too many options to be complete in a single post. E.g., you can teach your universal remote the codes from MyHD but there are also many other ways to skin this cat. I have no experience with MCE, so I can't answer about its integration.
post #648 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ricoks - I feel confident enough to answer question B, but I'll leave the others to people with more experience with the MyHD cards.

B - In short, yes - you will need a STB to receive digital cable stations. The MyHD card (and all other HD capture cards as far as I know) will receive and display analog cable stations without any problems. So basically anything that your TV can display without a STB, the MyHD card will too. In addition, with the QAM tuner that the MyHD-130 card has, you will be able to receive unencrypted QAM stations. This will usually be limited to just the local stations that your cable company offers in HD. So it sounds like you won't actually benefit from the QAM capabilities of the 130 until the cable company starts offering local HD coverage. I personally only have one local station (NBC) myself. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBSCRIBE TO DIGITAL CABLE TO RECEIVE THESE UNENCRYPTED QAM BROADCASTS. I only have cable internet (no usable cable TV stations, and even I get the unencrypted QAM station with my 130 card). In order to receive the other digital cable stations, you WILL need a STB because that is the only thing that will decode the encrypted QAM stations (which is all the other digital stations). So you will be required to sign up for the HD service with your cable provider. Not so much so they will "turn it on" but rather you have to have the digital STB to decode the broadcasts.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #649 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

With FedEx you also have the option of going to their customer service center (usually the front of the distribution center) and picking it up in person.

There seems to be a lot of extra caution with Fedex and UPS and having to be there to sign for packages. According to one driver I talked to, there are people following the trucks, waiting for them to deliver to houses and then stealing the packages. Home delivery of Dell systems is usually the prime objective.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
post #650 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

The solution that works for me is to have almost all packages shipped to my work address. That way I don't have to be home and I don't have packages stolen. I contacted my credit card company to add my work address to my account. That way the alternate address will not affect CC approvals. The only exception is that I ship to my house when the package is too large and/or heavy to fit into my car.

Brian

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
post #651 of 12511 Old 02-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a note saying my 130 had shipped! Woo-hoo!

Hopefully they included the free cable. I never heard back from my e-mail asking them to include it. Kei did mention that she was busy processing all the "I screwed up messages", so I am hopeful that it's been fixed.

Waiting, waiting, waiting....

Kevin
post #652 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quick stoopid question:

Does the 130 normally break recorings down into several files? I ask because a recoring of CSI Thursday is broken into 4 files. Is there a packet set size like in a TiVo .ty file or am I seeing something amiss?

TPM

Didn't I already say enough?
Moderated Atlanta DTV User Group
post #653 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can change the size if the file(s) in the recording options.

I usually have the settings to that a show records to a directory with the name of the show. That way the multiple files are not an issue (and can be an advantage if you want to save part of a show without any processing).
post #654 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

TPM,

I set the file size high (37 Gig); this way the progress bar is accurate to the
whole show.

Go to config panel ->Capture setup->Detail options in the Capture Mode area. Select Custom and fill in the size you would like.
post #655 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

One point: You need NTFS to set very large file sizes.
post #656 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Karyk
You can change the size if the file(s) in the recording options.

Karyk:

I guess I should have RTFM huh? Then again, there really isn' t one yet is there? Good, I was worried I was seeing my processor lunch the file or something. I am running W2K on that box, so yes, it is NTFS. Thanks for the heads-up

netman:

Thanks! I will change my fs in the config. Why 37G BTW?

TPM

post #657 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

37GB is probably larger than anything you'd record. It's over 4 hours of non-QAM recording.
post #658 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

37GB is probably larger than anything you'd record. It's over 4 hours of non-QAM recording.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

post #659 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One point: You need NTFS to set very large file sizes.

Hi Karyk,
I have my file size set very large to record to one file (I don't recall at the moment the size I set it too). What is NTFS and why would I need it?

Don
post #660 of 12511 Old 02-19-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by thepicman
Why 37G BTW?

Was afraid you would ask. I had it set to 27 to leave room for a three hour show. When I decide to raise it by one hour I just lazily "clicked" the tens digit up 1. Now I can record "about" a 4 hour show as a single file if the need ever arises.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page