post #6811 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw View Post

Thanks. You mention that >60 is noticeable and <30 something doesn't matter, but what about in between? I've currently got 32" and may be going a bit bigger sometime, but will never be >40...

I said that over 60 it may be notable--I don't have direct experience. My guess is that you'd never notice the difference on a 32" unless you very critically examined the two inputs side by side. At 40...my guess is that some people would swear that YPrPb is "horrible" in direct comparison, but YMMV.

For a lot of today's broadcast "HDTV" there is negligible possibility of difference, since the sources have non HD provenance anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Well, someone else was confused I think, so I was explaining it. Although I don't get how its 'still' no when as far as I can see you didn't answer it until just now anyway

It's still no and, BTW, I hope that you're not one of those folks who leaves his HTPC on 24/7 with MyHD constantly running, because fulltime TimeShift is a recipe for early HDD death in that case.
post #6813 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

The QAM auto-channel detection (digital only) is somewhat a PITA. You get a whole lot of channels - most of which are dark. Then you have to go in and delete the encrypted (dark) ones.

Sure would be nice if MIT examined the video signal on the auto scan and did not include QAM channels with 0x0i signals.

(Speaking in frustration as a COMCAST Customer that just had all his previously in the clear QAM ADS stations switched to encrypted - while still getting the locals and about 5 clear digitals. They seem to relish frequently changing the QAM lineup necessitating fairly laborious rescans)

Ralph,

I feel for you brother. I'm a frustrated comcast subscriber as well and I certaintly can relate. Bhahumbug. The newly added CNN and Disney channels are not exactly my choice of highly desireable channels.
post #6814 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 08:52 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Yes. A separate partition for the timeshift files would be a good idea. A separate drive would be even better.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

... and, BTW, I hope that you're not one of those folks who leaves his HTPC on 24/7 with MyHD constantly running, because fulltime TimeShift is a recipe for early HDD death in that case.

post #6815 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 09:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Does this make more sense than what I originally had written?

Yep, I kinda figured you were going there. TP already provided you with the answer.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6816 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemery View Post

Ralph,

... Bhahumbug. The newly added CNN and Disney channels are not exactly my choice of highly desireable channels.

COMCAST Montgomery Cty supposedly activated the ADS - but I don't see it on the STB, nor on my cable card TV. Now when I scan for analog stations on the cable I don't get them on the MDP-130 (so I can only tune these with the TV's tuner).

Not the biggest PITA - but the constant shifting makes me just want to sit back and wait for a while until things settle out. I don't believe we get CNN and Disney in the clear across the river from you but to tell the truth I haven't done a scan in a couple weeks. No one in the local thread noted we got these in the clear. The only channel I recollect in the clear was SOAPtv and some advertising, in addition to the broadcast DTVs.

Someone mentioned that we have to call the cable company to activate the ADS - maybe I will do that to see if it comes through on the STB and cable card (and hopefully the MDP-130 will magically see them in the clear after a call?) I suppose all I have to lose is a slight degradation in going to digital from analog on the ADS channels via the cable card as they would no longer be tuneable as analog.
post #6817 of 12511 Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I've seen it before and I ran across it again tonight.

When doing a manual capture, with Ctrl-C, It fills in the blank with a default file name and a drive to do a cpture on (I don't remember if it uses a default drive, or the last one a capture was done on).

The problem is that is you know the capture isn't going to fit on the drive listed, changing the drive letter to somewhere else has zero affect on the available time. For example, I knew that the F: location didn't have enough space, so I changed it to E:, as well as changing the file name. I didn't give it a length, as I was going to manually stop it. I told it to start and it filled in the available time based upon the F: drive, not the E: drive that I just entered. I could have been in a world of hurt, but because of what I was doing, I was able to stop the capture within the 37 minutes, during a commerial break, I go from there.

The software needs to look at the drive letter when the user starts the capture, not the drive letter it originally put in the GUI.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6818 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll see if I can reproduce this next week when I'm back home. Assuming that it works the same for me as you describe, I'll pass along a bug report.
post #6819 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 01:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been having a strange problem with my CBS affiliate's main channel (39.1 --> virtual 4.1). On MyHD App version 1.65, everything worked fine. On 1.65.2 and 1.66E the 4.3 sub-channel is duplicated on the 4.1 feed. The same thing happens for 23.3 to 23.1. All my other channels work fine, both the main feed (x.1) and any subchannels (if applicable).

I have tried all combinations of the driver and the app, and the problem seems limited to the app. Right now I have drivers 1.66.0.1 installed with app 1.65. As soon as I upgrade to 1.65.2 or 1.66E, regardless of the driver, I experience the problem above. The newer app versions appear to be more stable, but if I can't get the main CBS HD feed than I am really missing out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
post #6820 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash2004 View Post

Hello everyone,

I've been having a strange problem with my CBS affiliate's main channel (39.1 --> virtual 4.1). On MyHD App version 1.65, everything worked fine. On 1.65.2 and 1.66E the 4.3 sub-channel is duplicated on the 4.1 feed. The same thing happens for 23.3 to 23.1. All my other channels work fine, both the main feed (x.1) and any subchannels (if applicable).

I have tried all combinations of the driver and the app, and the problem seems limited to the app. Right now I have drivers 1.66.0.1 installed with app 1.65. As soon as I upgrade to 1.65.2 or 1.66E, regardless of the driver, I experience the problem above. The newer app versions appear to be more stable, but if I can't get the main CBS HD feed than I am really missing out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Did you try adding the channel manually?

FYI, MyHD driver and application versions need to be match to work properly.

post #6821 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw View Post

Thanks. You mention that >60 is noticeable and <30 something doesn't matter, but what about in between? I've currently got 32" and may be going a bit bigger sometime, but will never be >40...

I never got the DVI card for my 34 inch, but it has a most excellent internal scaler. If your TV's component video goes through a crappy internal converter, then you need to by-pass that circuit, and go with DVI. But of course you don't have anything to compare against, so the best you can do is read-up on how well your TV handles component inputs. If it does a good job, you won't have any trouble with MyHD's component signal.

--Dale--
post #6822 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash2004 View Post

I have tried all combinations of the driver and the app....

Noooooo! Don't do that! The 1.65 app and 1.66 driver do not match, just as Kei says.

I suggest that you uninstall completely, delete the MyHD Program Files folder, and then install 1.66 and update to the 1.66.0.1 driver. Finally, perform a new channel scan. (Do not reload a saved channel-list file)
post #6823 of 12511 Old 04-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks Kei and TPeterson,

Message received... Driver and App versions go together... I did do that first, using the 1.66E driver and app together, but that's when I noticed the problem (I went directly from 1.65 to 1.66E.)

Kei, I did try adding the channel manually with the same result.

TPeterson, I will do what you suggest, complete uninstall, latest driver and app, and new channel scan without using the saved channel-list. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

------
Update: After following through on a full uninstall and then reinstalling 1.66E app and 1.66.0.1 driver, doing a fresh channel scan, all is well. Thanks again!
post #6824 of 12511 Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

My system shows 1.66u app and 1.66.0.0 driver. I believe this came from the 1.66E release.

I see there is now a 1.66E1 release. Does that include the 1.66.0.1 driver? Is the app changed as well? I'd like to know what the difference is between 1.66E and 1.66E1 to know if it's worth installing. The zip file doesn't appear to include a readme.

Mark
post #6825 of 12511 Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post

My system shows 1.66u app and 1.66.0.0 driver. I believe this came from the 1.66E release.

I see there is now a 1.66E1 release. Does that include the 1.66.0.1 driver? Is the app changed as well? I'd like to know what the difference is between 1.66E and 1.66E1 to know if it's worth installing. The zip file doesn't appear to include a readme.

Mark, where did you find such "1.66E1" package? AFAIK, the newest complete package is the one from last September, labeled "MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66E.exe" on the MIT ftp site. The 1.66.0.1 driver is also in that folder.

The only newer app versions are the MyHD.exe test files that are bundled with the CW_EPG beta test package and are still labeled v1.66.0.x.

P.S.: Yes, it is worthwhile to install the 1.66.0.1 driver.
post #6826 of 12511 Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark, I suppose that you're referring to the "MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66E1.zip" on DC's website. If you look inside that zip, you'll find the 1.66E package from September 2005.
post #6827 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 AM
mdv
AVS Special Member

I believe I am running the 1.66E package from September.

Why does my installation show driver version 1.66.0.0 when aparently the current one is 1.66.0.1?

My installation shows app version 1.66u. What is the current app version?

Why the name change from 1.66E to 1.66E1?

Mark
post #6828 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:

It's still no and, BTW, I hope that you're not one of those folks who leaves his HTPC on 24/7 with MyHD constantly running, because fulltime TimeShift is a recipe for early HDD death in that case.

Really Is it something that MyHD does or is it a general statement about intense HD usage? BTW, as you would have guessed, my HTPC is on all the time with
3hr full time shift. It goes off whenever it crashes (and this happens quite often - about 3-4 times a week) and comes back on as soon as we notice it has crashed

Ramesh
post #6829 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramesh View Post

Really Is it something that MyHD does or is it a general statement about intense HD usage? BTW, as you would have guessed, my HTPC is on all the time with
3hr full time shift. It goes off whenever it crashes (and this happens quite often - about 3-4 times a week) and comes back on as soon as we notice it has crashed

Ramesh

As long as you're recordings are going onto a separate hard drive, why worry? hard drives are cheap. When you wear one out, throw it out and buy a new one. Just make sure that the stuff you want to keep is on a drive that isn't continuously thrashing.
post #6830 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 07:31 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Is MyHD on all the time as well?

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramesh View Post

Ramesh

post #6831 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe I am running the 1.66E package from September.

Why does my installation show driver version 1.66.0.0 when aparently the current one is 1.66.0.1?

My installation shows app version 1.66u. What is the current app version?

Why the name change from 1.66E to 1.66E1?

Mark

1. As I said before, the latest complete installation package is the 1.66(.0.0) one, which of course included the then-current driver 1.66.0.0.

2. The current released app is 1.66. There was a separately released driver update last December to level 1.66.0.1, which is available on MIT's ftp site (the link for which I gave last time--so you'll have to do the search this time).

3. The "name change" was just to the particular zip file on DC's website--presumably this had something to do with a redundant download.
post #6832 of 12511 Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ramesh, if your HTPC is crashing 3-4 times a week, you have one sick puppy on your hands. If you're running it 24/7 with MyHD constantly on and using full-timeshift, you may well have sent the HDD to an early grave. Consumer HDD are not designed for 24/7 continuous R/W activity. This was one reason that Cliff Watson asked MIT to provide the On-Demand TS option.

BTW, there's really no good reason to have a PC that runs at least Win2k continuously on. You can accomplish anything that you would want to do with a 24/7 machine via S3/S4 sleep states and save wear-and-tear as well as kilowatt-hours--making both your pocketbook and the planet happier.
post #6833 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP View Post

As long as you're recordings are going onto a separate hard drive, why worry? hard drives are cheap. When you wear one out, throw it out and buy a new one. Just make sure that the stuff you want to keep is on a drive that isn't continuously thrashing.

Also, you can also buy a warranty for your drive. They don't know how many terrabytes a week you're writing out, or they would never agree to sell it to you for $12.95, or whatever it is. I'm not big on extended warranties in general; I never buy them unless I know the advantage is mine. But in the case of the abuse we put these drives through, since its at least an order of magnitude or two more than your average home user, I figure the advantage is on my side. And yes, have your transport stream files, and ONLY your transport stream files on the separate drive. Then you just toss it and say "gee, I'll have to catch those on reruns". Otherwise, you're DOA or downloading SpinRite and playing PC doctor for days on end (does that sound like the voice of experience?)

--Dale--
post #6834 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Note however that Tivos run 24/7 and are continuously filling a 30min bucket. They're darn reliable. Of course, they are also running Linux!
post #6835 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What does the OS it is running have to do with the life of the HDD?

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good."- Dr. Seuss
post #6836 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 AM

Dont know if anyone can help with this but I will try. I recently purchased a Toshiba 37hl95, QAM enabled, and am having trouble receiving some local HD channels on the TV. I am in south florida (plantation) and use comcast cable.

on the TOSHIBA I am able to receive TNT (105-1) Discovery (104-2) WB39 (104-1) ESPN (102-2) and CBS (102-1). In the 92-x range it seems EVERY sub-channel re-directs me to PBS 5-1, very odd.

I also have the MYHD card in my PC, which actually received more HD channels that the TV over the same cable. it is additionally able to receive WPLG/abc, WTVJ/nbc, WFOR/cbs, and WSVN/fox. I DONT have the same redirect problem on 92-x range, I am able to receive all channels (4-PBS channels) with the MYHD

I am sure the two devices are doing something different regarding receiving the QAM signals. Is the MYHD QAM that much better? perhaps is there something the MYHD is doing that maybe coiuld be done alo on the TV?

(as the TV gets a slightly better picture than the MYHD I would ideally like to use the TV for viewing and the MYHD for recording and occasional time-shifting during games and races)

Patrick
----------
post #6837 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
mdv
AVS Special Member

Sorry TPeterson, I only saw the second reply. I still wonder what 1.66u means as opposed to just 1.66.

BTW, searching on "1.66.0.1" yields no hits and searching on 1.66.0.1 hits on anything with a 1, 66, 0 or 1 so it's kind of useless.

Mark

[quote=TPeterson]1. As I said before...

2. ...(the link for which I gave last time--so you'll have to do the search this time). ...
post #6838 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalt View Post

What does the OS it is running have to do with the life of the HDD?

I think he's implying linux is less prone to OS bugs causing filesystem corruption. IME the current MSFT stuff is quite stable (as is linux)
post #6839 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Note however that Tivos run 24/7 and are continuously filling a 30min bucket. They're darn reliable. Of course, they are also running Linux!

What makes you think that the HDD supplied in TiVos are vanilla consumer PC drives--besides the anecdotal evidence that some people successfully replace them with such drives and it usually seems to work for a while? Consumer drives are designed to operate at much lower than 100% duty cycle and therefore can be made cheaper. The fact that some, or even most, of them continue to work for a finite period in 100% duty doesn't prove that they all will do so for long.

I repeat: Leaving MyHD running in full-time timeshift 24/7 is a recipe for early demise of any standard PC HDD (besides not being a very clever way to use electricity).
post #6840 of 12511 Old 04-29-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry TPeterson, I only saw the second reply. I still wonder what 1.66u means as opposed to just 1.66.

BTW, searching on "1.66.0.1" yields no hits and searching on 1.66.0.1 hits on anything with a 1, 66, 0 or 1 so it's kind of useless.

Mark

Quote:

1. As I said before...

2. ...(the link for which I gave last time--so you'll have to do the search this time). ...

The link to the MIT ftp site is in my d***n post. "U" = US, "E" = english, "K" = korean. (sheesh, such a secret code!) AFAIK, U==E. Don't bother with the K versions.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page