MyHD MDP-130 - Page 234 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > MyHD MDP-130

Home Theater Computers

luegner's Avatar luegner
12:46 PM Liked: 10
post #6991 of 12547
05-16-2006 | Posts: 59
Has anyone actually found a website that says .tp is associated to mpeg-2 transport streams? Every site I have seen always says it's supposed to be .ts:

http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5ET

z500 isn't the only player that can't deal with it:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Support/cn_myhd_7.asp
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson
12:52 PM Liked: 17
post #6992 of 12547
05-16-2006 | Posts: 11,957
Get over it. MyHD uses ".tp". You need to teach your file server to handle that, which is just what the item in the URL you cited is talking about.
luegner's Avatar luegner
12:57 PM Liked: 10
post #6993 of 12547
Right. You should try and teach windows SMB how to deal with that.
02:06 PM Liked: 17
post #6994 of 12547
So you're saying that the Zensonic doesn't have a PC-resident server such as the IO-DATA unit needs and it fails to present you with all of the relevant file types when browsing. Seems to me a clear "Zensonic problem."
luegner's Avatar luegner
02:55 PM Liked: 10
post #6995 of 12547
Well you could use uPnP software like Twonky Vision but why install something extra when Samba can accomplish the same thing? I did mention to them that they should make it so it sees all the files which I'm sure they'll do sooner or later.

I'm just wondering why the hdtv tuner manufacturers decided to use .tp (Dvico too if you're running it on windows) while the player manufacturers (IODATA, Zensonic and probably Buffalo) decided to use (standard?) .ts as the extension for mpeg2-ts files but neither one thought maybe we should let them use either one? So we have the ability to have convergence but not quite?
affeking's Avatar affeking
09:36 PM Liked: 10
post #6996 of 12547
05-16-2006 | Posts: 165
I read a few posts about how difficult this was, and man is that true. I tried for maybe 30 mins. I attemped pushing it, rocking it, and pushing it HARD. I used my fingers for a while, then realized I better try the cardboard trick TP mentioned because I have a lot of dots on my fingers now. I have it maybe 1/2 in there. I assume its supposed to go all the way to the plastic divider on the pins? Looks like that is about the depth of the female end of the connector.

I'm looking for any tips anyone else has. I'm starting to worry I'm going to break something pushing this hard. I'm also not sure I can push any harder without the use of tools. As great as taking a hammer to it sounds right now, I'm sure I'd end up regreting it. So, how the heck did you guys get these things connected aside from brute force and your fingers???

Thanks
Jeff
mrvideo's Avatar mrvideo
09:51 PM Liked: 101
post #6997 of 12547
05-16-2006 | Posts: 6,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Get over it. MyHD uses ".tp". You need to teach your file server to handle that, which is just what the item in the URL you cited is talking about.

And IO-DATA uses .TS.

How can you say in the referenced web page that it is the fault of IO-DATA for not knowing .TP files exist and should be able to read them (by asking them to change their system to understand .TP files), when IO-DATA can publically tell the MyHD programmers that they have it wrong by using the .TP extension, instead of .TS?

You are right and IO-DATA is wrong? They are probably saying that MyHD is wrong and that they are right.
10:06 PM Liked: 17
post #6998 of 12547
Quote:
Originally Posted by affeking View Post

I read a few posts about how difficult this was, and man is that true. ...So, how the heck did you guys get these things connected aside from brute force and your fingers???

Jeff, with the cardboard cushion it wasn't that hard to seat the daughterboard. Perhaps you're pushing it too far? The daughterboard pins are still exposed somewhat when it's fully home. What you're looking for is just to have them in far enough so that the daughterboard is about parallel with the mainboard with the paddles at the correct distance to pick up adjacent slots on the PC's rear apron.
10:11 PM Liked: 17
post #6999 of 12547
Quote:
Originally Posted by luegner View Post

I'm just wondering why the hdtv tuner manufacturers decided to use .tp (Dvico too if you're running it on windows) while the player manufacturers (IODATA, Zensonic and probably Buffalo) decided to use (standard?) .ts as the extension for mpeg2-ts files but neither one thought maybe we should let them use either one? So we have the ability to have convergence but not quite?

Since both DViCo and MIT had made their choices long before the IO-DATA and Zensonic products debuted, I'd say that the mystery is really inside the latter's development groups. Surely they knew about the HDTV tuner cards when they made their restrictive choices. It's as though Borland had brought out Quattro Pro and didn't allow it to recognize .wks files!
luegner's Avatar luegner
10:22 PM Liked: 10
post #7000 of 12547
Quote:

Since both DViCo and MIT had made their choices long before the IO-DATA and Zensonic products debuted, I'd say that the mystery is really inside the latter's development groups. Surely they knew about the HDTV tuner cards when they made their restrictive choices. It's as though Borland had brought out Quattro Pro and didn't allow it to recognize .wks files!

Nevertheless, the company who came isn't right if the file extension was already established as .ts by that time and at the very least since it is established convention now, they should fall in line. How hard would it be to just change it to .ts anyway?
10:50 PM Liked: 17
post #7001 of 12547
By force of the sheer numbers of MyHD and FusionHDTV cards in the market today, I'd say that the "convention" is well established in favor of ".tp". The new comers are the ones who should "fall in line". After all, neither IO-DATA nor Zensonic create any .ts or .tp files. They're simply trying to use the files that MIT, DVICO, et al. have written! IMO, you've got the shoe on the wrong foot. In any case, MIT is not going to change their convention at this late stage in their product's life cycle, even if there eventually are more ".ts" users out there. (Did Lotus ever drop ".wks" for ".xls"?)
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig
02:33 AM Liked: 184
post #7002 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 1,340
Guys,

Why don't you just change the extension manually? It's right in the MyHD.exe file. For version 1.66.0.0, it's at offset 876046 (0xD5E0E). Just grab a decent hex editor (I like WinHex) and set it to whatever you like - just leave at least one 0 at the end for the null terminating character.

Hope this helps.

-Mark
jimwhite's Avatar jimwhite
04:53 AM Liked: 10
post #7003 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 5,372
great idea Wizziwig.... TPeterson likes TP any wonder??? TP, I think your ire here is misplaced.... if anything, it would seem the TP extension is a Korean standard, and here in the US, the TS extension seems to have become prevalent... MTI and DVico have been known to accomodate the US market in the past

gsr's Avatar gsr
07:13 AM Liked: 215
post #7004 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 7,654
Quote:

By force of the sheer numbers of MyHD and FusionHDTV cards in the market today, I'd say that the "convention" is well established in favor of ".tp". The new comers are the ones who should "fall in line". After all, neither IO-DATA nor Zensonic create any .ts or .tp files. They're simply trying to use the files that MIT, DVICO, et al. have written! IMO, you've got the shoe on the wrong foot. In any case, MIT is not going to change their convention at this late stage in their product's life cycle, even if there eventually are more ".ts" users out there. (Did Lotus ever drop ".wks" for ".xls"?)

FWIW, accessDTV uses .ts, but it would be incredibly trivial to either make it configurable OR just switch to something else. IMO, TS makes a lot more sense for Transport Stream, than TP makes for TransPort stream, but the others who have suggested manually changing the extension seem to have a pretty simple fix for the problem .

The comparison of Lotus .wks and Excel .xls isn't an apples to apples comparison as the file formats are actually different. The content of .ts and .tp files is the same, so it would definitely be nice to settle on 1 extension.
07:58 AM Liked: 17
post #7005 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 11,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The content of .ts and .tp files is the same, so it would definitely be nice to settle on 1 extension.

I agree 150%. The Zensonic, IO-DATA, etc., newbies should follow the market leaders and use ".tp".

Regarding my "ire", how can ".ts" be said to have become "prevalent in the U.S." when our two market leaders both use ".tp"? I suspect that the root of this in one case anyway has to do with Japanese reluctance to accept anything Korean, but I can't guess what the Ozzie problem is.
georgepds's Avatar georgepds
08:07 AM Liked: 10
post #7006 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

And IO-DATA uses .TS. ...

In case you don't know, you can get the iodata avlp2 advanced server to read the *.tp. There is a small change you need to make in one of the config files (xml?) on the pc.

--G
gsr's Avatar gsr
08:13 AM Liked: 215
post #7007 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 7,654
Quote:

I agree 150%. The Zensonic, IO-DATA, etc., newbies should follow the market leaders and use ".tp".

This is definitely a case of McDonalds sells more burgers than anyone else, so theirs must be the best . Personally, I'll stick with .ts, thank you very much .

Seriously though, the consumers of transport stream files should all be aware that there are at least 3 different extensions that producers of those files use - .ts, .tp, and .trp. They're all ultimately the same thing, but these apps that are intended to work with transport streams should handle all the possible extensions. In an ideal world, each producer app could be configured to generate the extension the customer wants or needs, but that obviously isn't going to happen...
08:15 AM Liked: 17
post #7008 of 12547
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

In case you don't know, you can get the iodata avlp2 advanced server to read the *.tp. There is a small change you need to make in one of the config files (xml?) on the pc.

George, that's the subject of my article that Kei posted on the DC website and Luegner linked above.
Xesdeeni's Avatar Xesdeeni
08:45 AM Liked: 10
post #7009 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 1,552
And I think there is someone who uses .TRP. And on Linux, MythTV uses .NUV. So I think it would be best for the player to recognize whatever extensions the recorders produce.

Xesdeeni
luegner's Avatar luegner
09:46 AM Liked: 10
post #7010 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

And I think there is someone who uses .TRP. And on Linux, MythTV uses .NUV. So I think it would be best for the player to recognize whatever extensions the recorders produce.

Xesdeeni

Actually you're partially right with MythTv. It uses .nuv for analog recordings but, wait for it, .ts for digital recordings.

Wizziwig: Maybe you could patch the exe for us and give us a site to download it at?
10:02 AM Liked: 17
post #7011 of 12547
Quote:

Wizziwig: Maybe you could patch the exe for us and give us a site to download it at?

Please don't do that without MIT permission, as it would be illegal.
10:04 AM Liked: 17
post #7012 of 12547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

So I think it would be best for the player to recognize whatever extensions the recorders produce.

Violent agreement here. I always knew that you were a genius, X.
Doug Mohr's Avatar Doug Mohr
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #7013 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Guys,

Why don't you just change the extension manually? It's right in the MyHD.exe file. For version 1.66.0.0, it's at offset 876046 (0xD5E0E). Just grab a decent hex editor (I like WinHex) and set it to whatever you like - just leave at least one 0 at the end for the null terminating character.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

Oooh! Good find! Worked perfect.

All I wanted was the choice, not to force everyone into my way of thinking...
Paradox-SJ's Avatar Paradox-SJ
03:14 PM Liked: 10
post #7014 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post

ummm ... never?

Is this true? MIT has stopped R&D on future products?
04:10 PM Liked: 17
post #7015 of 12547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

Is this true? MIT has stopped R&D on future products?

Have you read the Meta-FAQ lately?
Xesdeeni's Avatar Xesdeeni
09:05 PM Liked: 10
post #7016 of 12547
05-17-2006 | Posts: 1,552
Quote:

Actually you're partially right with MythTv. It uses .nuv for analog recordings but, wait for it, .ts for digital recordings.

I don't have any personal experience, so I defer to those of you who have. But my friend's MythTV puts the TS into .NUV files, the same as the analog recordings. He gave me an ATSC TS file from an older version, and although the data was the TS, it was wrapped with something else, making it difficult to view (MyHD wouldn't play it; HDTVtoMPEG2. He says the newer version doesn't add anything any more, but it still gives the file the .NUV extension. I'm not sure he's got the latest version, which might have switched to .TS, so YMMV.

Xesdeeni
Nrmf's Avatar Nrmf
06:39 AM Liked: 10
post #7017 of 12547
05-18-2006 | Posts: 613
can someone tell me what the purpose of the DualMyHd app is, seems interesting but not for sure.......thanks
trbarry's Avatar trbarry
07:24 AM Liked: 10
post #7018 of 12547
05-18-2006 | Posts: 10,138
Doing this from memory so maybe hazy:

My WinTV-d card used .trp.
My WinTV-HD card used .tp.
Early WinDVD wanted .ts or .trp (I forget).
My Hipix first used 3 digits and then .ts.
From above, AccessDTV cards use .ts.
My various HiDTV Pro cards use .tp.
My Fusion 3Q card uses .tp.
My MyHD card uses .tp.
My IO-Data player wants .ts (but I don't use it anymore).

It seems nobody is ever going to agree.

- Tom
07:56 AM Liked: 17
post #7019 of 12547
05-18-2006 | Posts: 11,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrmf View Post

can someone tell me what the purpose of the DualMyHd app is, seems interesting but not for sure.......thanks

It was an experimental version that supported two MyHD cards in one PC, but that's a dead-end street.
gsr's Avatar gsr
08:03 AM Liked: 215
post #7020 of 12547
05-18-2006 | Posts: 7,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

Doing this from memory so maybe hazy:

My WinTV-d card used .trp.
My WinTV-HD card used .tp.
Early WinDVD wanted .ts or .trp (I forget).
My Hipix first used 3 digits and then .ts.
From above, AccessDTV cards use .ts.
My various HiDTV Pro cards use .tp.
My Fusion 3Q card uses .tp.
My MyHD card uses .tp.
My IO-Data player wants .ts (but I don't use it anymore).

It seems nobody is ever going to agree.

- Tom

The accessDTV software will happily playback .ts, .tp, or .trp and the user can pretty easily enter any filename - as long as it's actually an ATSC transport stream file it should play. When I chose .ts as the extension to write to, I was well aware that there were already several file extensions (including .ts) being used for the same thing, so it seemed prudent to make the software read any of them - it's not even remotely difficult to do so. Since there was no clear standard at the time, I picked .ts as it made the most sense to use the first letter of each word.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread