gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

I'm looking for a good discussion group on internet radio (software for scheduled recording) and could use a pointer. If you know of a good one, please let me know.

Please PM me if you think a public response is not appropriate

Apologies to those who fume at off topic posts, but this is one of the more tecnically savy groups I monitor, and if such a radio forum exists, I suspect one of you know its whereabouts

TIA

--G

Apologies with a but don't amount to much. I think a bunch of us "fume" at off topic posts like yours because they clutter up an already long thread. You could have just started a new thread in the appropriate forum at AVS and probably gotten useful responses in the process...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 12547 Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Apologies with a but don't amount to much..

OK.. I'll try elsewhere --G
post #7053 of 12547 Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 AM

In the Boston area, PBS has programs on channels 43-1, 43-2, 43-3, and 43-4.

If I try recording any one of them, it appears to be recording fine, but when played back, it only shows 43-1.

Is there a setting or something that I need to set that will allow me to see one of the other sub channels on playback with the myhd mdp-130?

Thanks,
Paul
post #7054 of 12547 Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpaul View Post

In the Boston area, PBS has programs on channels 43-1, 43-2, 43-3, and 43-4.

If I try recording any one of them, it appears to be recording fine, but when played back, it only shows 43-1.

Is there a setting or something that I need to set that will allow me to see one of the other sub channels on playback with the myhd mdp-130?

Thanks,
Paul

try the FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647837

also try the SUB-CH button on the remote during playback.
post #7055 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 12:03 PM

I love how the Tuner Card supporters blame the players for not supporting the .tp file extension and how the Player supporters blame the Tuner Cards for not allowing the user to choose what file extension they want to use when capturing a file.

So it seems MyHD has not made it possible to change the file extension to .ts when capturing a file (albeit a hex editor hack by the user will allow it).

On the other hand, the chips that go into these media players (i.e. Zensonic z500) are manufactured by a company called Sigma Designs and as it turns out they have programmed their chips to only see certain file extensions making it the fault of Sigma and not the player companies (IODATA, Zensonic, etc).

http://www.z500series.com/forum/inde...id=11895&st=0&

Being that the user is in the middle of this, they get the two-way shaft. All I can say is I'm thankful we have hex editors and insightful users like Wizziwig.
post #7056 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
chuna doth protest too much. A 15-minute Google session will confirm that there aren't "20" extensions in use for TS, but there are 5 or 6. Just because Sigma's sdk doesn't anticipate .tp doesn't prevent users of their chips from adding it to their sw! E.g., DViCO's TViX, which is Sigma based, has no problem with .tp extensions. Say, you don't suppose that their tuners use .tp, do you?
post #7057 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

chuna doth protest too much. A 15-minute Google session will confirm that there aren't "20" extensions in use for TS, but there are 5 or 6. Just because Sigma's sdk doesn't anticipate .tp doesn't prevent users of their chips from adding it to their sw! E.g., DViCO's TViX, which is Sigma based, has no problem with .tp extensions. Say, you don't suppose that their tuners use .tp, do you?

I thought the same way in that they could modify their software to see the .tp file extension but according to chuna, it's up to Sigma to do that because they have no control over it?
post #7058 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I cited the TViX example expressly to dissuade such false conclusions.
post #7059 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I cited the TViX example expressly to dissuade such false conclusions.

You're right. I quoted your example on that forum. Let's see what chuna says about it.
post #7060 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 01:28 PM

Ok so i'm test driving Windows Vista, is there any drivers avalible for the mdp-130 and vista?

I'm 100% sure its no, but i thought i'd check.
post #7061 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 PM
wbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner_00 View Post

Ok so i'm test driving Windows Vista, is there any drivers avalible for the mdp-130 and vista?

I'm 100% sure its no, but i thought i'd check.

If you are running the 32 bit version of Vista, try using the XP drivers. The 32 bit version of Vista is supposed to be (mostly) compatible with 32 bit XP drivers.

I haven't tried this myself yet, so if you do try it I would be interested in the results.
post #7062 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbo View Post

If you are running the 32 bit version of Vista, try using the XP drivers. The 32 bit version of Vista is supposed to be (mostly) compatible with 32 bit XP drivers.

I haven't tried this myself yet, so if you do try it I would be interested in the results.

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and let you know.
post #7063 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 PM

another question for all of you
I have a DELL UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor and i'm using the DVI daughter card. the image shows up fine on the monitor but it has a shake or jitter to it, anyone else experiance this issue with the dvi/monitor?
when i use just the VGA, I don't have that issue.
post #7064 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbo View Post

In previous builds of Vista, I've tried to install the MDP-130 drivers with limited success, and lots of problems. Things seemed to work on the tuner side, but the MyIRC program would not work at all.

I've avoided installing the drivers again recently because each time I've had them installed, the system became unstable. I may try again, but each time I've had stability problems, cleaning them up has been a major pain.

Nathan
post #7065 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 07:22 PM

I have a problem with recording - I am getting 0-size files with scheduled recordings (MYHD off, just MYIRC running) however when I press record button while watching the show it records just fine. This happens whether MYHD is off for scheduled recordings, or whether MYHD is running and a scheduled recording comes up.

I have record options set to exit-myhd-between-recordings, exit-myhd-after-last-recording, audio-off-during-record, and OSD-off-during-record

Patrick
----------
post #7066 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you have "Enable Reservation Capture" checked?
post #7067 of 12547 Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 PM

yes, "enable reservation capture" is checked

Patrick
----------
post #7068 of 12547 Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has MyHD scheduled capture never worked on that machine or is this a new problem? If the latter, what did you change recently?

edit: I just noticed that your sig says you're using an old version of MyHD sw. I suggest that you update to version 1.66 and then driver 1.66.0.1 to make sure that you're not running into the "zero byte file bug" discussed in the Meta FAQ.
post #7069 of 12547 Old 06-02-2006, 04:04 PM

I did have ver1.66 installed, but hadnt updated the driver to 1.66.0.1 - I just updated and tested and all is fine again, thanks, (updated the signature as well)

and yeah, it was working before :-(

Patrick
----------
post #7070 of 12547 Old 06-03-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry to bring up this question again, but I searched for TPeterson's response to my earlier query without any luck. To be complete:

I have a HTPC with a KT600-A motherboard and an AMD Athlon XP 2600+. I have 200, 250, and 300 GB drives. I have the MyHD and the FusionHDTV installed under Windows XP. I record around 15 hours of OTA programming each week, as automated as I can, and watch the recordings when I can (mostly after our two small children are asleep), using the MyHD (job #1 would really make life easier).

About two months ago, a lightning strike took out part of the motherboard. On the motherboard, I lost my serial port (MyHD remote), ethernet (networking), and sound (only stereo used for s/w playback). I've patched together a USB to serial, USB to ethernet, and USB to audio for temporary, until the summer reruns start.

So now we're into the reruns, and it's time to fix this thing. I basically can replace just the motherboard with an identical one for about $40. But I don't know if it's worthwhile getting a different motherboard, newer CPU, or even replacing the whole HTPC.

The KT600-A has very limited power management in terms of suspend and hibernate. When I suspend it, the power supply doesn't power down at all (which might actually be the power supply), so I don't see any real benefit to this. Hibernate works. However, neither suspend nor hibernate can be exited with the system APIs. Instead, I came to the solution of using the BIOS timer to wake the HTPC 15 minutes before prime time each day, and shut it down with a scheduled event 15 minutes after midnight. The has actually worked quite well, since I very seldom record anything outside of prime time. For those very few cases, I just have to turn the machine on. (The recent switch to using Record_This might alter this a bit and require me to manually run RT, since I couldn't get it to run at bootup and instead scheduled it to run about 10 minutes before prime time.)

The only other consistent issues I've faced with this motherboard are the FusionHDTV losing weekly reservations and/or crashing between recordings (I am absolutely certain that this is caused by the schedule database, which is effectively bypassed by Record_This and I have absolutely no issues since I started using this), and the occassional crash when fast forwarding during playback with the MyHD (this has been reported numerous time, isn't heat related, but is completely random, so as to be unreproducible. Since others have reported it, I don't think it's motherboard related.)

I'm also a bit annoyed by the slow menu when using the sp-dif output of the MyHD, which I understand would be alleviated by feeding the sound through a digital output sound card, which isn't an option on this motherboard. But I don't want to pay much for this, and I did make sure the USB to sound converter I bought as an interim solution had a digital output, so it might be the trick (although I haven't tried it yet).

Anyway, TPeterson suggested a different (SOYO?) motherboard, but I can't find the post after a couple of hours of searching. Or would I be better off going with a known evil?

And of course, I'll be putting in a power-protected UPS this time , although my other computer with one installed also got zapped (ADS did honor their warranty).

Xesdeeni
post #7071 of 12547 Old 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, I think that I mentioned having had good experience with a Biostar AMD mobo. My sense is that Biostar was an early adopter of full ACPI specifications, but I think there are many good choices with complete ACPI support these days so I hesitate to push one over another.
post #7072 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can you output 1080p through the DVI card. If not will it be added? Also my remote receiver has quit working. Can I buy a replacement receiver (preferably USB)?
post #7073 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes, but you'll have to call Digital Connection.
post #7074 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and let you know.

Sorry for the delay, I had my Bro's wedding this weekend.

Zero Luck on Vista Beta 2 5384.4

IR remote software will not work, nor MY HD software
and drivers will not install.

big disapointment.
post #7075 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:

another question for all of you
I have a DELL UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor and i'm using the DVI daughter card. the image shows up fine on the monitor but it has a shake or jitter to it, anyone else experiance this issue with the dvi/monitor?
when i use just the VGA, I don't have that issue.

anyone got ideas?
post #7076 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Zero Luck on Vista Beta 2 5384.4

IR remote software will not work, nor MY HD software
and drivers will not install.

big disapointment.

I just wanted to report that I've actually found somewhat the opposite. I was able to get the MyHD software working, but you have to run the installer in compatibility mode. I haven't yet experienced any of the problems I had in previous builds with the drivers installed, but they might yet occur.

As to the MyIRC, if I ran that in compatibility mode, it would at least acknowledge the IR receiver. I believe it also accepted power on/off commands, but nothing else. This particular behavior seemed pretty strange, but at least it worked partially.

Of course, since my audio drivers will not work at all in Vista, I cannot TRULY test that everything is working, but I do get a picture at least.

Nathan
post #7077 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

As to the MyIRC, if I ran that in compatibility mode, it would at least acknowledge the IR receiver. I believe it also accepted power on/off commands, but nothing else. This particular behavior seemed pretty strange, but at least it worked partially.

Make sure that you have the Windows firewall set up to pass MyIRC and MyHD TCP/IP communications.
post #7078 of 12547 Old 06-04-2006, 11:56 PM

I'm posting from Vista now, and I can clarify that the ONLY thing that works is starting MyHD by pressing the power button on the remote. Nothing else works through the remote, including closing MyHD with the power button.

While I must confess that I am not 100% what you mean by allowing MyHD and MyIRC to pass TCP/IP communications, I have both disabled the Windows Firewall and added both programs to the firewall's exception list. Neither seemed to make any difference. I am also not getting any messages suggesting that any activity is being blocked.

So, I guess I'm wondering: 1) Do you have this working under Vista, or is this just a guess? and 2) I take it that MyIRC and MyHD use some sort of TCP/IP comminications, even though all activity should occur within the confines of one computer, and not necessarily even a networked on, right?

Nathan
post #7079 of 12547 Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, MyHD and MyIRC communicate via the TCP/IP stack, so if the firewall blocks them the remote will fail. (RTF MetaFAQ)

I'm not fodder for Bad Billy's Beta tests these days and I strongly recommend against planning to use any cutting edge sw or hw with an old board such as the MDP1xx. MyHD doesn't need the latest and greatest platform to deliver its best, so why bloody your nose on that wall?
post #7080 of 12547 Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:

...MyHD doesn't need the latest and greatest platform to deliver its best, so why bloody your nose on that wall?

I'm with you, I use w2k and an old Matrox g450. My $ go into disk drives.

But, some might want to play back (while recording) through one of the newer video cards. I realize that does not spell vista, but vista, plus new video hard ware is a step in the more "powerful playback" direction .
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page