MyHD MDP-130 - Page 240 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7171 of 12511 Old 07-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TP you are a genious. It was either ATI's display driver, UltraVNC, or Nvidia's Audio Mixer utility (installs w/ the audio driver that myhd initially told me I HAD to have installed when I launched the app without it). Thanks again, I appreciate the prompt responses, as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 12511 Old 07-14-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My money's on the ATI driver.

I'll put it on your tab.
post #7173 of 12511 Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vo_Dich View Post

I'm not sure how much RAM I have set for the FX5200 card. Actually, I have never tweaked with that setting, I just let the computer/default do its job. I think the card has 128MB and the AAS setting might be at 64MB (my previous card).

Could this be the problem though? Could this be the cause that makes my video card to not work properly as stated in the Device Manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Yes.

I checked the AAS setting, and it was set at 128MB, which matches my video card's RAM. I went ahead and increased the AAS to 256MB and rebooted the computer. Voila... resolution has increased. Now I get to play around with the MDP-130

Thanks TP!!
post #7174 of 12511 Old 07-15-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

"My money's on the ATI driver."

mine is on VNC's mirror video driver....

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #7175 of 12511 Old 07-15-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That could be...if VNC was running at the time. I perhaps mistakenly thought that it was merely installed but not active for the debugging session.

hdtvjunkie, if you want to run some version of VNC/remote desktop, your best bet is to turn off the MyHD desktop overlay window first. If the overlay is active, at best, you'll see a blank window on the remote master and, at worst, it will crash the host machine.
post #7176 of 12511 Old 07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ok, it's been a while since I tackled this one... where does DVHS deck control/display stand? I know features were lost over time. Can the MyHD handle playback of a non-encrypted tape these days? Can it archive to tape?

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #7177 of 12511 Old 07-15-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MyHD plays and records to DVHS tape as long as Hyperthreading is disabled. It does not dub to DVHS while playing a file.
post #7178 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Great, thanks!

post #7179 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

"as long as Hyperthreading is disabled"

gad, I hate that disclaimer!!!!

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #7180 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So get a Celeron.
post #7181 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's actually in an AMD machine

post #7182 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I de-selected "VNC Mirror Driver" upon re-installing UltraVNC. I never thought about this while trying to troubleshoot the cause @ the console.
I was trying to disable the overlay window after the error message appeared (to try to launch the myhd app w/o the overlay window to see if it helped), but the myhd app crashed while applying the change.
Anyways, all is well now, I have the overlay window disabled and can schedule recordings with ease using VNC. VNC doesn't seem to cause an issue with the overlay window open (it just shows up blank), but I don't need to see the station anyways. Now to find a way to edit out commercials over the network...
post #7183 of 12511 Old 07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvjunkie34 View Post

Now to find a way to edit out commercials over the network...

You can see H2M's video window using VNC and edit away.
post #7184 of 12511 Old 07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 View Post

Try my Transport Stream demuxer. It reports all discontinuities and on which PID they occur. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

I've used one called ec.exe (error count) a couple of times ...

Ron, Steve, Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

--Dale--
post #7185 of 12511 Old 07-20-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The main SF PBS station, KQED sometimes has some strange audio. I usually use MyHD in "PC Soundcard" "Stereo" configuration with analog output from my Revo 7.1 to the multichannel input on my receiver. I have occasional recordings from KQED that do not output audio in this configuration. There is audio output when I switch over to my parallel "MyHD SPDIF" configuration which connects to a digital input on my receiver. On these programs the receiver shows that it's only receiving center channel audio. The "PC Soundcard" "Dolby Surround" setting in MyHD also produces audio output on the main L+R speakers. The OSD shows "Dolby" for the audo format for these programs. I have seen this field in the OSD show "Stereo" or "Dolby 5.1" at other times. Presumably "Stereo" means that the broadcast is encoded at DD 2.0 and "Dolby 5.1" means it's encoded at DD 5.1.

In any case, this is clearly a screwy broadcast, but I'm wondering why the MyHD software doesn't always output whatever discrete channels are present as it normally does with DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 when in "PC Soundcard" + "Stereo" configuration.

Has anyone else seen this?

- Mike
post #7186 of 12511 Old 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mike--

What MyHD does with various audio flavors in the PCSoundcard Stereo and DolbySurround modes is not well documented. I always use either the MyHD or PC's S/PDIF output to throw the decoding ball into the A/V Receiver's court. My understanding, however, is that MyHD passes through to the soundcard certain types of digitally encoded soundtracks for it to decode when you select PCSoundcard Stereo--DTS is supposed to be in that category, IIRC. Anyway, from your description I'm guessing that some of the formats that MyHD is passing to the Revo are not recognized there.
post #7187 of 12511 Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Greg2 over in the SF OTA thread pointed out that our local PBS station KQED has broken MyHD's full-TS playback of their feed. (As Mike said, they do a lot of strange things--e.g., they're sending 3 of their 4 SDTV subchannels in parallel with their HD sub in the evenings now and to better accomodate the HDTV bandwidth required they're dropping the rez of the SD subs to 528x480i from their normal daytime 704x480i) I've just received a new test driver from MIT that fixed the KQED full-TS playback and I'm testing it to see if something else got broken by the fix. (The problem turned out to be a shuffling together of the PMT packets in KQED's current PSIP--a practice that MIT deemed "not illegal, but very unusual")

If anyone else is seeing this problem and wants to try the new driver, PM me.
post #7188 of 12511 Old 07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Yes. (AFAIK, you can play dual-layer DVDs on any DVD player, since commercial DVDs are usually dual-layer)

Not true. It is very possible that the player won't play a dual layer (or double layer, depending if it is DVD-R or DVD+R) disc. The reason is the reflectivity. Commercially produced DVDs have a much higher reflectivity than writable DVD-DL discs. It is the same problem when writeable DVDs first came out. There were DVD players that could not read the media because of the reflectivity. Then there were players that could read writeable discs, but not re-writeable discs.

Now the same problem is occuring with the dual layer discs. My JVC will play all of the media up to the DL, but haven't tried one in the player to see if it will. I'd have to author a disc to do that. Or I could copy a commercial disc as a test.

In any event, the only way to know is to try. I've not authored DL discs as I've heard that many players will not read them. So I play it safe.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7189 of 12511 Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Dale, TSRL does give a count, not just 0, >0. Also, I think that MPEG2Repair has a log with that in it, but I'm guessing because I've not used it.

Yes it does. You can select that it repair the file and/or log the errors. The error log will point to the second, not the frame.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7190 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

This is unbelievablye OT, but I couldn't resist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Not true. It is very possible that the player won't play a dual layer (or double layer, depending if it is DVD-R or DVD+R) disc. The reason is the reflectivity. Commercially produced DVDs have a much higher reflectivity than writable DVD-DL discs.

Actually, that's not quite true. Dual layer DVD±Rs very closely match the physical characteristics of dual layer pressed DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm View Post

Compatibility has been achieved through the use of a thin silver-alloy as reflector material in the upper layer giving a reflectivity from the layer of at least 18% in compliance with the dual-layer DVD-ROM standard....In addition to optimizing reflectivity, other parameters such as signal amplitude and tracking signals were also optimized to ensure full compatibility with current DVD standards.

Compatiblity is surprisingly high as a result. And the majority of the incompatiblities are mostly due to firmware issues, like those that plagued DVD±R/Ws on early DVD players. But lying to the player (bitset utilities) helps here as it did with DVD±R/Ws. My success rate for dual layer DVDs has been 100% on a very small sampling of about half a dozen players. YMMV.

Xesdeeni
post #7191 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, X. Once again experiment trumps theory.
post #7192 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Which I guess allows us to come back on topic. Has anyone actually played a (MyHD recorded) TS from a dual layer DVD on one of the Sigma Designs based HD DVD players?

Xesdeeni
post #7193 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Liked: 12
Yes. I played it on my IO-Data Avelink2.
post #7194 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 06:20 PM

OK, I feel kind of stupid. The output on my card is set to 720P in the config under "Video" I believe. But, when I pop in a DVD and hit the status button, I see it is showing in 480i. Does this have anything to do with my using HDMI? Is there a different setting for DVD output vs TV that I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.,
Jeff
post #7195 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

I've tried Ron's and Steve's tools and looked closer at tsreaderlite and yes Terry, I see the CRC and continuity boxes now.

The problem is that none of these tools is reporting a problem on a show that has many obvious glitches when I watch it.

I've always got MyHD to record single subchannel only. Could it be that the MyHD software is renumbering packets (pls forgive imprecise nomenclature) which would paper-over problems with my signal?

--Dale--
post #7196 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

My success rate for dual layer DVDs has been 100% on a very small sampling of about half a dozen players.

Very interesting, very interesting indeed.

Mr. Video

post #7197 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by affeking View Post

OK, I feel kind of stupid. The output on my card is set to 720P in the config under "Video" I believe. But, when I pop in a DVD and hit the status button, I see it is showing in 480i. Does this have anything to do with my using HDMI? Is there a different setting for DVD output vs TV that I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.,
Jeff

Are you talking about the lefthand column of the info OSD? That will always show "480i" for DVDs because that's their resolution. MyHD's output resolution is shown in the righthand column on the OSD and will be whatever you've set.
post #7198 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I've tried Ron's and Steve's tools and looked closer at tsreaderlite and yes Terry, I see the CRC and continuity boxes now.

The problem is that none of these tools is reporting a problem on a show that has many obvious glitches when I watch it.

I've always got MyHD to record single subchannel only. Could it be that the MyHD software is renumbering packets (pls forgive imprecise nomenclature) which would paper-over problems with my signal?

--Dale--

Is this issue just from one station? Did you read these posts from tecqboy? Do you think that you may be seeing the same sort of problem??

P.S.: Does the file play well in other players?
post #7199 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about the lefthand column of the info OSD? That will always show "480i" for DVDs because that's their resolution. MyHD's output resolution is shown in the righthand column on the OSD and will be whatever you've set.

Yes, sadly that was my mistake. I was just used to looking at the left side while watching OTA HD.

Actually, the other reason I immediately started thinking I wasn't seeing an upscaled image is that it really didn't look that great. I did some compares with a duplicate DVD, flipping back and forth between the myHD display and my component DVD player and I noticed very little difference. I was expecting a fairly big difference based not only on the upscaling but the fact that the myHD is hooked up via DVI/HDMI while the DVD player is component. My DVD player is decent, but its not upconverting, and its not high end. For others that use the myHD for DVD playback - what were your impressions?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #7200 of 12511 Old 07-21-2006, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

P.S.: Does the file play well in other players?

I ran a sample of Dale's file through several players. Media Player Classic pixellates in several places with a huge discontinuity in the middle (of a 5Mb section). Window's Media Player 6.4 has no random pixellation but has the abrupt error and MyHD plays without any random blocking but with a large error in the middle.

I ran it through VideoReDo with logging turned on and despite an obvious error, it reported no problems at all. It is a 704x480 stream at a bitrate of about 5Mbps. My local PBS station does an SD simulcast that has odd errors and the local CBS station only broadcasts SD digital and it is unwatchable when there is any motion. I'm not sure if SD simulcasts are a good barometer of proper operation. I'd want to test real HD broadcasts before coming to any conclusions, myself.

There is always a possibility the the program used for cutting (or examining) the file might be erasing the error indications while leaving the errors in place. I know VideoReDo would do that during the editing process. When I need to cut a file with no changes or alterations, I use hjsplit, a freeware pure file cutting program.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page