post #721 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by avekevin
I know nothing of CableCard specs, but this is coming eventually. Cable companies are looking to MPEG-4 to lower their bandwidth requirements.

How do you know? I've heard of no such thing. In fact I've only heard that cable companies are looking forward to switching to all digital, which will free up a ton of bandwidth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by balazer
How do you know? I've heard of no such thing. In fact I've only heard that cable companies are looking forward to switching to all digital, which will free up a ton of bandwidth.

Yep...they can put at least 10 SD digital channels in the bandwidth used for 1 analog SD channel.
post #723 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are trials going on in Europe and DirectTV will be exanding HD service by utilizing MPEG-4 transcoding. SBC's forthcoming cable service will also utilize MPEG-4 (actually WMV) over DSL. Penetration into traditional cable space will take a little longer because it would require new STBs. It will come, though.

Kevin

Some sources of more info:
Euroean Info: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...&referral=supp
SBC: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...2CRSS%2C00.asp
Comcast: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116227,00.asp
DirectTV: http://informitv.com/articles/2005/0...confirmsmpeg4/
post #724 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, I can state for a fact that Comcast is looking into using Mpeg-4 as well as switching to an all digital system to reduce bandwidth requirements especially in areas that they are not going to upgrade pass the 550 MHz. I know this for a fact because I personally talked with Mr. Andrew C. Johnson the V.P. of Communications for Comcast and that is what he said was Comcast's plan for increasing bandwidth in my area ( South Bay of S. F. ) when and how this is going to happen is still up in the air but it is coming.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #725 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 PM

I'm sorry to ask a noobie question that may have already been answered, but I have an MDP-130 coming in this week and I was wondering on recommendations on an indoor antenna? I've read that the Zenith Silver Sensor is good but I was wondering if anyone could give other recommendations. Thanks for the help.
post #726 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Reesh
I'm sorry to ask a noobie question that may have already been answered, but I have an MDP-130 coming in this week and I was wondering on recommendations on an indoor antenna? I've read that the Zenith Silver Sensor is good but I was wondering if anyone could give other recommendations. Thanks for the help.

I use a Radio Shack 15-1880 indoor antenna and it works well for me. I get all the stations in my area but it really depends on where you are in relationship to the transmitting stations and the terrain that the signals go through. So an antenna that works for one person may not work for another, you are always better off with an outside antenna that is mounted as high as possible, to avoid obstructions that may block your signal reception. Try an indoor antenna and see if it works, if not make sure you can return it and then go the outdoor antenna route. As you can tell it's not cut and dry and it may take some experimenting to get the desired results but that's half the fun in it...

Laters,
Mikef5
post #727 of 12511 Old 02-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mpeg4? Can you let us JoeSixPacks out here know how it's giong to affect the MDP130? Is the MDP130 a bad buy or for that matter the Fusion cards also???

I've read here that some are getting 2 cards just in case one goes 6' under past the No sale date of these type of cards. It may not be a wise decision if Mpeg4 is not good for these here cards.
post #728 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
@Reesh

I agree with Mikef5, plus I use the 15-1880 with great results as well.

OTA antennas/tuning is a black art of hit and miss. The best feature in buying an antenna is a good return policy. Trial and error is the best method. All things being equal, higher is better. However I get all of my stations from 30 miles away and the 15-1880 is set up inside the rafters in my garage (so it doesn't have to be outside, for those of us that have to live with "WD" mandates of no antennas on the roof.)

Might I also suggest you search through the HD Hardware forum, they normally have more talk about OTA antennas.

-Suntan
post #729 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 AM

I currently have a Hauppage Wintv Go card as my TV Tuner. I am considering upgrading to the MYHD 130. There are two things though. First... should I expect any improvement in picture quality when moving to the MYHD 130 as opposed to the WinTV GO?

Also, right now I own the Dell 2005FPW monitor. When I run a DVI cable from my Scientific Atlanta 4200 cable box to my monitor I get a message that my monitor is not HDCP compliant. Using the soon to be released MYHD 130 daughter board, will I be able to watch the DVI output of my cable box??
post #730 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Bhudda28
I currently have a Hauppage Wintv Go card as my TV Tuner. I am considering upgrading to the MYHD 130. There are two things though. First... should I expect any improvement in picture quality when moving to the MYHD 130 as opposed to the WinTV GO?

Are you talking about NTSC PQ? YMMV. If you mean will HDTV look better than NTSC....
Quote:

Also, right now I own the Dell 2005FPW monitor. When I run a DVI cable from my Scientific Atlanta 4200 cable box to my monitor I get a message that my monitor is not HDCP compliant. Using the soon to be released MYHD 130 daughter board, will I be able to watch the DVI output of my cable box??

No.
post #731 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply,

What I mean regarding picture quality is that right now when I watch the output from my cable box outputted to my WinTV Go card and I play it at fullscreen setting I am not that happy with the picture quality. I am expecting to output my Scientific Atlanta 4200 to the MYHD 130 card using the daughterboard. I was thinking that I could then watch both HDTV and analogue (depending on what the box is outputting). And then I am still concerned about HDCP on my Dell2005FPW.
post #732 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bhudda28
Thanks for the reply,

What I mean regarding picture quality is that right now when I watch the output from my cable box outputted to my WinTV Go card and I play it at fullscreen setting I am not that happy with the picture quality. I am expecting to output my Scientific Atlanta 4200 to the MYHD 130 card using the daughterboard. I was thinking that I could then watch both HDTV and analogue (depending on what the box is outputting). And then I am still concerned about HDCP on my Dell2005FPW.

You clearly have some misconceptions about what MyHD is and how it works. I suggest some reading, e.g., at the Digital Connection website. See, esp., Cliff's Notes on how to set up a PCI tuner card with your TV.

N.B.: No HDCP-compliant device (read: STB) will output HD content to your non-compliant Dell. That's exactly what "HDCP" means.
post #733 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

This may or may not relate to what you are trying to ask.

If the only output on your SA is SVIDEO or composite video you can plug this output into MyHD. I do this with my Tivo output. MyHD does a good job of scaling the SD output from the Tivo.

There a two main downsides to doing this:

1. If MyHD starts to do a scheduled record you can't use the SVIDEO input while the record goes on.

2. MyHD will not decode and display closed captions coming in on the SVIDEO input.
post #734 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Reading the posted links above regarding MPEG-4 and cable, it is clear that eventually MPEG-2 may give way to other encoding formats. Some of these newer encoding designs are more specialized for HD content. I believe that at the time MPEG-2 was created HD was NOT the primary concern.

May I ask a provocative question here:

I, like many, have a fairly fast processor. Hyperthreaded capable as well.
So the hypothetical question is, let's say my cable company starts the Tandberg MPEG-4 provided encodes that one of the links mentioned above says is already contracted to be deployed. Is my investment in the MyHD-130 still viable? Is the MyHD "guts" flashable to use its built in hardware to support the newer encoding schemes like MPEG-4? The Fusion cards are reported to be software based, while the MyHD to be hardware based. If we have a fast enough processor is the Fusion soft design potentially better than the MyHD hardware architecture? Maybe I am looking too much to have my cake and eat it. Maybe there is no way to design a card to be both future proof and effective? I hope Mr. CW does NOT take offense here. If this post is misplaced, please have it deleted.
post #735 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

You will always be able to record the transport stream with the MDP-130, no matter what video encoding is used. If at some point the encoding changes from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4, you will have to use software and CPU cycles for decoding and playback of those transport stream files. Some people already do that for MPEG-2 decoding using Theater Tek 2.0, even with MyHD recordings.

Brian

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
post #736 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I get one channel on my cable that I don't have OTA. As soon as the last station fires up it OTA signal I will have no unencrypted channels on cable that matter to me. I would never have invested in MyHD based on cable programming. Other than that I see no eminent demise of MyHD usefulness.
post #737 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks, bkzoller.

A follow up question, if MyHD already has hardware MPEG-2 decoder, why do some people use Theater Tek 2.0 instead of MyHD for decoding?
post #738 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

TT2.0 allows timeshifting or watching a previous recording while making a MyHD scheduled recording. MyHD recently added its own TimeShift feature, but it is not yet enabled during a scheduled recording.

Brian

Hook 'em Horns! 2005 National Champions!
post #739 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by iq100
Thanks, bkzoller.

A follow up question, if MyHD already has hardware MPEG-2 decoder, why do some people use Theater Tek 2.0 instead of MyHD for decoding?

So they can playback a different recording while MyHD is recording.
post #740 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

...or play it on a second machine.
post #741 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:20 PM

A couple of newb questions. Sorry, it's overwhelming to retain all this information after reading 37 pages of posts. Anyway,

1. Is it possible to record 2 HD programs at the same time, say on different channels?

2. Is there any sort of scheduling (tivo-like recording) for television shows?

3. Is anyone worried that the unencrypted HD channels will soon become encrypted? (using Comcast cable)
post #742 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:33 PM
wbo

Quote:

Originally posted by pyc103
1. Is it possible to record 2 HD programs at the same time, say on different channels?

Not if the programs are on different physical channels. However, when capturing a Transport Stream, all subchannels are captured, so if the programs are on different subchannels of the same physical channel then you can record both at once.
Quote:

2. Is there any sort of scheduling (tivo-like recording) for television shows?

You can schedule as many repeating recordings as you want through the MyHD reservation panel.
Quote:

3. Is anyone worried that the unencrypted HD channels will soon become encrypted? (using Comcast cable)

Sorry can't help here. I would guess that it depends on the cable provider, but I think cable providers are required to provide OTA signals in the clear.
post #743 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

There's some debate about the exact wording, but general sentiment seems to be that providers will continue to provide locals in the clear. If you get anything else (ESPN, Discovery, HBO, etc) right now you are very lucky, and it will likely change without notice one day.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #744 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Mikef5
Well, I can state for a fact that Comcast is looking into using Mpeg-4 as well as switching to an all digital system to reduce bandwidth requirements especially in areas that they are not going to upgrade pass the 550 MHz. I know this for a fact because I personally talked with Mr. Andrew C. Johnson the V.P. of Communications for Comcast and that is what he said was Comcast's plan for increasing bandwidth in my area ( South Bay of S. F. ) when and how this is going to happen is still up in the air but it is coming.

Laters,
Mikef5

If I had to guess the all-digital conversion will come much sooner than MPEG-4 and QAM-1024. In order to implement MPEG-4 you'll need to get rid of all legacy STB's and DCR-ready TV sets. Also back end gear in the head-end needs to be replaced/upgraded. That billions of dollars. Don't hold your breath.
post #745 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:04 PM

wbo wrote, "However, when capturing a Transport Stream, all subchannels are captured, so if the programs are on different subchannels of the same physical channel then you can record both at once."

By way of example, my LST 3510A (I no longer have this) tuned 74-704 as NBC HDTV and 74-705 as FOX HDTV.

Are you saying that MyHD would record both simultaneously?
That truly would be amazing to me, an inactive amateur radio HAM enthusiast.
I have lost track of all the RF stuff. But aren't the two subchannels different frequencies, each with their own digital stream?
Are you saying these two HDTV subchannels are multiplexed into a single digital stream?
Any URL's for reading about this stuff at the bit level would be most appreciated.
post #746 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by iq100
Are you saying these two HDTV subchannels are multiplexed into a single digital stream?

Yes.
http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html
post #747 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes. Digital channels on cable use 1-125, and are remapped by the box to whatever your cable company wants to call them. But they are contained in that 1-125 space, generally with multiple subchannels on an active channel. For instance, I have 107-1 which is CBS and 107-2 which is PBS, and then 111-1 which is NBC and 111-2 which is FOX. I've even got a channel in the 70's that has like 30+ subchannels and is actually the music choice channels.

Now for OTA, I've got 3 sub-channels for ABC... 10-1, 10-2, and 10-3. Recording OTA or QAM provides the same results. All subchannels are recorded regardless. So if for example I need a show on both NBC and FOX at the same time I'm in luck. Regardless though, I will get both NBC and Fox in the recording. And if I record ABC OTA, I will get all three subchannels even though the HD show I wanted is only on 10-1.

-MP

post #748 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 PM

Thank you, balazer & also madpoet.
I really appreciate the info and especially the URL.
Anyone who would be so kind as to post their favorite, lets call it "technology revealing" URLs would be G8. Better to show someone how to fish than give him one.

So all I have to do is convince my cable company to put my favorite HDTV on one channel (as sub-channels), so I can recored everything at once. Should be a cinch .

I read somewhere that OTA, if coupled with things like MPEG-4 encoding, could turn OTA into a "virtual cable company". That is they could use their licensed channel/sub-channel assignments to provide a cable like company's content. That would be funny, and good. The return of OTA to replace cable! How many sub-channels does a local OTA own/license? How many HDTV programs could they provide? It would seem we have almost come full circle. Cable was initially sold to me as a "commercial free" (ha ha) higher quality picture. Now, with less compression, OTA HDTV is said to be superior to cable and satellite is said to suffer even more compression artifacts. Certainly the economics of building a cable plant or lauching a sattelite must favor an astute OTA virtual cable company.
post #749 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Hey MP (or anyone else),
What is your 130 doing with the music channels? Mine show up on 107 and I get no audio. If I leave the channel on for about 5 minutes I will eventually get a video screen. No audio though. A friend of mine on the same system, Comcast N. PG. county MD, receives the music channels on his cable tuning sony wega.

Nick
post #750 of 12511 Old 02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I haven't even plugged my 130 in yet. On my internal QAM tuner in my set I get both picture and music on my music channels

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page