MyHD MDP-130 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 12477 Old 01-20-2005, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cliff,

Thanks for your response and by the way, thanks for the great wealth information you and all the other knowledgeable people have posted here at AVS. This forum is a fantastic resource, wish I'd found it sooner.

arny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 12477 Old 01-20-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimwhite

"how so? you can't set the guide up for two signal sources, like OTA and Cable.... one size fits all - NOT !!!"

Actually you can. You can't combine cable and Directv but you can combine either of these with OTA HD. On mine the DirecTV channels are where you'd expect them to be and the OTA HD channels are in the 1000 range of the guide (e.g. 1111 = cbs on 11.1). You can also have it control multiple STBs and while you won't see anything different in the guide you can do things like record on one while watching another or record from both at the same time while watching OTA HD.

The other neat thing is I can watch one STB from the extender in another room while the HTPC is watching OTA HD. (but not vice versa, no extender support for HD yet...)

Don

Regards,

Don
post #63 of 12477 Old 01-20-2005, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by SIMJEDI
nabsltd the main card itself has component output.

I know, but I can't output component from a video card and pass through without doing various conversions (VGA->component and then converting the connector) anyway, so just buying one VGA->component converter and putting at the end seemed like an idea.
post #64 of 12477 Old 01-21-2005, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by arny56
Cliff,

Do you know if it will tune QAM on a HRC cable system? I just returned a FusionHDTV 3-QT because it would not even tune analog from my antiquated Comcast cable service. I was planning on buying a MDP-120 as I understand they are compatible with HRC, but would prefer to wait for the MDP-130 if I could tune HD over cable.

Thanks,
arny

Although this probably more belongs in the Fusion thread, it should be noted that in the QAM world (64 or 256) there's no such thing as HRC cable ... that's an analog only thing.

And Fusion *and* MyHD can tune HRC analog just fine - anything cable ready has to be able to do that, or it isn't "cable ready".

QAM is a totally digital animal. If you couldn't capture digital QAM off your Comcast system, they probably have the entire digital system locked down with encrypted QAM, and neither Fusion nor the upcoming MyHD card will receive that.

Note : if you cannot tune in your local OTA digital stations that are carried on your Comcast system, they have the channels encrypted. That's against FCC rules and they MUST remove that encryption. OTA digital stations have to be receivable "in the clear" in QAM.

- litz
post #65 of 12477 Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 PM

hopefully the 130 will be reasonably priced. ~250? :/
post #66 of 12477 Old 01-22-2005, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by litz
And Fusion *and* MyHD can tune HRC analog just fine - anything cable ready has to be able to do that, or it isn't "cable ready".

litz, when last I heard (over a year ago), Fusion cards did not tune HRC.
post #67 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 09:07 AM

OK I am new to the tuner market and just recently finished building a new computer, the last items I want to add are HDTV tuner and possible one of the ATI Elites.

I have been trying to find out the answer to my question, but I cant find anytihng that explains it ina way that makes any sense to me.

Here is my 1st question: Why won't the MIT MDP-120 or 130 function on a desktop running MCE2005? I dont necessarily want to use the MCE application shell portion to do the recordings but would use whatever software worked.

If I entered the MCE portion would the computer go on the fritz with either of the above cards installed?

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
post #68 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 09:40 AM

MCE2005 doesn't support cards that are hardware based cards. Software based cards such as the fusion and ATI should work in MCE2005 because they are software based. I don't have MCE2005, but you need BDA drivers for that operating system and there are none for the MyHD. If you get a MyHD then you are looking at using windows xp.
post #69 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

MyHD has its own video source. Even if your video card was dead MyHD could still create video on your display. It has all the standard HD resolutions built in just like many set top box style receivers. The output of MyHD does NOT come from your desktop (though there is a low res version of the image on your desktop if you desire).

MyHD has an on screen display type menu (like the set top boxes) controlled from the remote. It also has a built in switch you can use to select the built is video of the MyHD or your computers video card. If you choose to use the switch it tends to make a very nice integrated system but of course you will need to make the video card output compatible with your display.

MCE does not have drivers to control hardware type cards. It only supports cards that use the computer video card for the actual hi-def output. This means integration will not be like one of the software based cards.
post #70 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Ahhh,
Well that is a kick in my shorts. So my options are the Fusion, ATi and Vbox? I would really like the possible Qam, so I guess the only option is the Fusion then- at least for the time being.

Thanks for the replies and str8 forward answers.
post #71 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Three questions, 1) Will it work with hyperthreading enabled w/o patch files 2) Will it work with a fusion 2 card 3) if it works with the fusion 2 card, can I use it to record to 1 HDD while using the fusion to record to another HDD.

Thanks

Samsung LN52B750, Samsung HLM5065 DLP, Pioneer elite DV-47A, JBL S series, Onkyo TX-SR 606, monster HTS 5000, , HTPC (win7, ATI 5750, 9.8 terabytes, OC 2.6 quadcore), HD-A20/A35, PS3, HR21-200.
post #72 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Can't answer 1, but you'd have to assume 2 and 3 are yes since it works that way now...

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #73 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kindest
hopefully the 130 will be reasonably priced. ~250? :/

I think that may be a good guess.
post #74 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wbcollegekid
Three questions, 1) Will it work with hyperthreading enabled w/o patch files 2) Will it work with a fusion 2 card 3) if it works with the fusion 2 card, can I use it to record to 1 HDD while using the fusion to record to another HDD.

Thanks

1) What does "w/o patch files" mean?

2) Yes

3) Yes....actually I use MyHD and Fusion at the same time to record to the same HDD.
post #75 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FDM80
MCE2005 doesn't support cards that are hardware based cards. Software based cards such as the fusion and ATI should work in MCE2005 because they are software based. I don't have MCE2005, but you need BDA drivers for that operating system and there are none for the MyHD. If you get a MyHD then you are looking at using windows xp.

Correct my if I am wrong, but if I understand things then MIT should be able to create a BDA driver such that MCE can control the card and tell it where to dump the stream to disk/cache, and that would be pretty much it. From there it would be up to MCE and decoders to software decode and display the stream like current Fusion and ATI card. (of course you lose hardware decoding, and access to MIT's own software control / Timeshifting features, but it would give MCE a stable ATSC tuner and the user a unified MCE interface)

-pd
post #76 of 12477 Old 01-28-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pdermody
Correct my if I am wrong, but if I understand things then MIT should be able to create a BDA driver such that MCE can control the card and tell it where to dump the stream to disk/cache, and that would be pretty much it. From there it would be up to MCE and decoders to software decode and display the stream like current Fusion and ATI card. (of course you lose hardware decoding, and access to MIT's own software control / Timeshifting features, but it would give MCE a stable ATSC tuner and the user a unified MCE interface)

-pd

Correct and it would also subject MyHD users to MS Broadcast Flag, DRM, and HDCP regardless of when the card was purchased.
post #77 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 06:18 AM

What I meant by patch files, was that the MDP 120 did not work out of the box with Hyperthreading. If I remember correctly, additonal files had to be installed and several bios adjustments had to be made in order to make it work. Several features were lost (record to DVHS) because of these changes. So the most important question for me is, will it work a 100% out of the box. Cliff, I thought that recording to the same hard drive would be to taxing, but if it works for you then I will give it a try.

Samsung LN52B750, Samsung HLM5065 DLP, Pioneer elite DV-47A, JBL S series, Onkyo TX-SR 606, monster HTS 5000, , HTPC (win7, ATI 5750, 9.8 terabytes, OC 2.6 quadcore), HD-A20/A35, PS3, HR21-200.
post #78 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Correct and it would also subject MyHD users to MS Broadcast Flag, DRM, and HDCP regardless of when the card was purchased.

Screw that, I like it the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I'd love TSReader to be able to use the MyHD card, but it's not worth the trade.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #79 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just checked with Comcast. I currently have Expanded Basic and broadband with them. They said I would need the minimum digital package to get digital signals so I could view them with any box or card. Is this really true? This would cost me an extra $11/mo (upgrade to Digital Classic) to use the MDP-130 for QAM. I may even have to pay another $5 for HD.

If this is true, I'm looking at either buying the MDP-130 (~$250?) or paying another $9.95/mo (or only $4.95 if I have to pay the $5 above) for their 6412 dual tuner DVR box. In two years it would cost me the same, but I'm sure technology will be quite different by then anyway.

The advantage of being able to record on one channel while watching the other is a huge plus for me, being that more HD shows are now on at the same time. I could even record two channels using it in combo with the MDP-120!

I am hoping I find out I don't really need to pay extra per month for digital signals over my cable, since I already have broadband which is digital. Otherwise, it looks like the MDP-130 has some stiff competition with these new cable boxes, at least for upgraders, anyway.
post #80 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 09:12 AM

Yes, I believe all cable companies charge extra for their digital channels. Same goes for satellite tv companies as well (except for Voom probably). Until the day comes that everything goes digital I'm sure they will charge extra for their digital channels. I wouldn't be surprised if after everything goes digital they incorporate that extra $10/month as the standard fee. Easy way to raise prices.
post #81 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Carey, you need to check the Local HDTV forum and find out of your Comcast local broadcasts their QAM in the clear. If they do, you probably do NOT need to upgrade. I have the very basic package from my local Cox, and I get all the HD locals they have through my QAM tuner. They won't tell you that you can, but you can .

post #82 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
Carey, you need to check the Local HDTV forum and find out of your Comcast local broadcasts their QAM in the clear. If they do, you probably do NOT need to upgrade. I have the very basic package from my local Cox, and I get all the HD locals they have through my QAM tuner. They won't tell you that you can, but you can .

Thanks. It is possible you are correct. Though I asked them specifically and they said they had to "turn on the digital" from their end, but they could have lied. I currently have no boxes and use only analog. Unfortunately, my local HDTV forum is useless for this type of info. Besides, I seriously doubt anyone here has their own QAM tuner without being already on digital cable. Local HD stations are new here on cable and only a few so far.
post #83 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Digital and QAM stations are 2 different things. If your QAM stations are in the clear, I seriously doubt you need the digital package. If they aren't, you're out of luck anyway because no QAM tuner will tune them anyway . I pay $11 for basic cable (1-22) and I get all my locals in QAM256 in the clear.

-MP

post #84 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe you're right. The digital may only be necessary to use their box. The QAM may only require the extra $5 for HD, or maybe that's also a scam. I'll investigate this more on Monday. Thanks!
post #85 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Again, the $5 HD fee is for their HD box. It has nothing to do with whether you will be able to tune them via QAM.

post #86 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting thing is, the same box is normally $6.95, but to get HD costs another $5. However, they offer the box and HD for $9.95 (of course, you need the minimum Digital pkg for it to work). This is what led me to believe the HD signal was not available without the extra $5. Otherwise, it is only to signal the box to enable HD reception, which it's already capable of, which sounds like quick way to scam another $5/mo.
post #87 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well,

I will put my 2 cents in on the new card : when can we get it?

Soon is not soon enough.

I've just about HAD IT with dvico and their total utter lack of abiility to either develop or support the Fusion QAM cards.

They frankly, just plain do not work. It's not the hardware - the hardware works just fine. It's the fact that their developers *can't program worth a darn*.

The thing crashes. It fails to tune in channels that are *clearly* broadcast in the clear.

An example? WSB gets added to comcast in atlanta. It's added to the same channel (98) that WTBS is already on. What happens? Both channels disappear. It can't tune 98 at all now.

This is in-the-clear plain jane broadcast, too ... we're not asking it to do anything they don't claim it can do. And it fails.

The MYHD cannot arrive soon enough, far as I'm concerned.

Is there a Fusion owner out there who *ISN'T* seriously considering changing cards after the *glowing* beta test reports on the MDP-130?

Come on DC - list the thing already !

:-)

- litz
post #88 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

My Fusion III has been rock solid recording QAM shows for a couple months. Never missed a recording, never quit out. I hate to say it after my headaches with the FusionII, but the Fusion III has me happy.

post #89 of 12477 Old 01-29-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

When it works, it's *Great*. Don't get me wrong.

But the thing is far, far, far too flakey to ever have been released as a commerical product.

You cannot cap QAM on a channel that contains an encrypted PID. Even if you're capping an unencrypted PID. It bluescreens. If it doesn't, you get utter garbage in the outputted .ts file.

You cannot tune ANY encrypted channels - it crashes, or bluescreens. Not being able to tune is one thing. Killing the entire computer is another.

Even worse, I've seen it *corrupt* the software install upon crashing. Now you can't use the card at all until to uninstall the entire program and driver, then reinstall.

You're forced ---- through trial and error (and multiple crashes, bluescreens, and reboots) to discover manually what stations you can and can't watch.

Hell, I can't even get the Fusion software to complete an autoscan of the local cable system. It bluescreens and reboots the machine everytime it reaches channel 100.

And that's on the very latest 2.99.05 software. Done it on every single version I've ever tried, too.

The last time I channel auditted to see what I could receive it took me THREE HOURS and at least a dozen reboots before I had a tunable channel map.

There's simply no friggin way they can ever claim the product is in any way shape or form a commerically viable product with that kind of results.

Now, mind you ... like you, I've had GREAT results capturing tunable channels. Except the one w/the subpid that's encrypted. But it took me two weeks of fighting the darned thing before I was ever able to get it stable enough to claim that.

Now, I can't even get it to tune in channel 98. It's gone. Multiple verified checks on QAM capable TV's verify the channel is there, with programming, and unencrypted. Fusion won't touch it. "No Signal".

- litz
post #90 of 12477 Old 01-30-2005, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

DigitalConnection has the 130 up on Preorder. Looks like the wait is almost over. The price is $249.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page