MyHD MDP-130 - Page 367 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10981 of 12503 Old 01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Congratulations on solving the problem and thanks for the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 12503 Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Does running one of those files through H2M or VRD's quick repair (or whatever it's called--I've not used that program for a long while) make it play OK?

I don't have VRD, but I ran the file through a straight TS to TS conversion via H2M and the PS3 still cannot play it. However, in the process of making that conversion, I did discover one difference between the files that play and the files that fail. The failing files all have fairly high data rates - on the order of 17.5 Mb/s. The working files are all under 15Mb/s.
post #10983 of 12503 Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gilliland View Post

The failing files all have fairly high data rates - on the order of 17.5 Mb/s. The working files are all under 15Mb/s....

OK, that's a good clue. Evidently the UPnP server, rightly or wrongly, estimates that it cannot handle the higher bitrates. Perhaps there's a server setting for that threshold?
post #10984 of 12503 Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:

OK, that's a good clue. Evidently the UPnP server, rightly or wrongly, estimates that it cannot handle the higher bitrates. Perhaps there's a server setting for that threshold?

That's possible, I suppose, but doesn't it seem more likely that the PS3 itself is where the limitation lies?

Note that I'm seeing the same failure with at least two different media servers (PSM and TVersity). I suppose I could test this by putting the file on a thumbdrive to see if the PS3 could play it directly.
post #10985 of 12503 Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree that the PS3 is also a suspect and your test of that sounds good to me (a PS3 virgin).
post #10986 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I agree that the PS3 is also a suspect and your test of that sounds good to me (a PS3 virgin).

Well, after quite a bit of testing, it appears that the PS3 is the problem. I tried to play some of the same videos from local PS3 storage and got the same failure.

But I'm really not convinced that the data rate is the problem either. I have a variety of videos from other sources that also fail with that same error number. And some of them have very low data rates.

But the only ones I really care about are the TS files from the MyHD. And I can't figure out why some of those play but not others. It could still be the data rate. Or it could be something in the ABC network stream. Or it could be something else entirely. Very frustrating.
post #10987 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, after quite a bit of testing, it appears that the PS3 is the problem. I tried to play some of the same videos from local PS3 storage and got the same failure.

But I'm really not convinced that the data rate is the problem either. I have a variety of videos from other sources that also fail with that same error number. And some of them have very low data rates.

But the only ones I really care about are the TS files from the MyHD. And I can't figure out why some of those play but not others. It could still be the data rate. Or it could be something in the ABC network stream. Or it could be something else entirely. Very frustrating.

Do CBS 1080i files play? They're higher bitrate than the ABC 720p (at least from my sources) so if they do play that would be another clue to the problem. And if they don't, it would be further evidence that your PS3 is BR limited.
post #10988 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Do CBS 1080i files play? They're higher bitrate than the ABC 720p (at least from my sources) so if they do play that would be another clue to the problem. And if they don't, it would be further evidence that your PS3 is BR limited.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't watch much on CBS, but I'll make a point of capturing one just to test it. Hopefully tonight.

Just as another test, I captured the halftime show from last night on NBC. That plays fine on the PS3, but it came in at under 15Mbps, so there's no new info there.
post #10989 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not had any problems streaming MyHD/HDHomerun files to the PS3; whether CBS-PBS/ or ABC/FOX; so I have done a mix of 1080i and 720p. In my case both the PS3, computer network card, and NAS are all hard wired with 1 gig ethernet. Maybe Jim can paste a small clip of something he is having problems with somewhere others could test on other systems.
post #10990 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

I have not had any problems streaming MyHD/HDHomerun files to the PS3; whether CBS-PBS/ or ABC/FOX; so I have done a mix of 1080i and 720p. In my case both the PS3, computer network card, and NAS are all hard wired with 1 gig ethernet. Maybe Jim can paste a small clip of something he is having problems with somewhere others could test on other systems.

That's a good idea, I'll try to do that. In addition, maybe you could schedule your system to capture Lost on Wednesday night this week? That's the show that's triggered all my failures. I haven't done enough experimenting to know (yet) whether it's unique to that show, or whether the same problem will come up with other ABC broadcasts. I'll continue to experiment on this end, but it would be a huge benefit to know whether or not your very similar system has the same problem.

In fact, since there are two episodes of the show on Wednesday, maybe you could even try one capture on each of your cards? It would be very interesting to see whether the HDHomerun card/software gave a different result than the MyHD card.

It would be a BIG favor if you were able to do it. I don't know anyone else who has a similar setup.

What media server software are you using? You mention using NAS - does the PS3 access the NAS device directly?

I'm using gigabit ethernet as well.
post #10991 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Answered in line

Quote:

That's a good idea, I'll try to do that. In addition, maybe you could schedule your system to capture Lost on Wednesday night this week? That's the show that's triggered all my failures. I haven't done enough experimenting to know (yet) whether it's unique to that show, or whether the same problem will come up with other ABC broadcasts. I'll continue to experiment on this end, but it would be a huge benefit to know whether or not your very similar system has the same problem.

In fact, since there are two episodes of the show on Wednesday, maybe you could even try one capture on each of your cards? It would be very interesting to see whether the HDHomerun card/software gave a different result than the MyHD card.

I'll try it on Wednesday since I don't record anything then - at least it doesn't interfere with my Thursday night when I have six shows I care about. I may have a problem matching what you are doing - the MyHD is a 120 and captures OTA; the HDHomerun is QAM on one tuner and OTA on the other. Are you capturing QAM or OTA?

Quote:

It would be a BIG favor if you were able to do it. I don't know anyone else who has a similar setup.

As above - not sure how similar we really are

Quote:

What media server software are you using? You mention using NAS - does the PS3 access the NAS device directly?

I am using PS3 Server to the PS3 - works great for me. But the PS3 doesn't recognize the server software on my NAS directly (Buffalo linkstation live using built-in PCAST server). So if I watch off the NAS directly I as I sometimes do I use other hardware / software to the theatre room (eg use IODATA Pro-hd fed from PCAST or IODATA advanced server (later also not direct). But I can stream files from the NAS drive indirectly using the PS3 Server software or from files on the computer's media hard drive (I never record to the computer's c: drive)

Quote:

I'm using gigabit ethernet as well.

You should be able to stream smoothly then
post #10992 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
If anyone wants to or knows someone who might want a MDP-130 PM me.
post #10993 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I'll try it on Wednesday since I don't record anything then - at least it doesn't interfere with my Thursday night when I have six shows I care about. I may have a problem matching what you are doing - the MyHD is a 120 and captures OTA; the HDHomerun is QAM on one tuner and OTA on the other. Are you capturing QAM or OTA?

That's a good point, and it's one that I had considered. I'm capturing QAM via Time Warner. I could try an OTA capture, but it seemed unlikely to me that the problem would be in that area. Still, it's worth a look. Definitely another avenue to explore after I get through trying all of the various network shows that I'm recording tonight.

I don't have my outside antenna cabled to my computer, though, so it will take a bit of effort to make that happen.
post #10994 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a good point, and it's one that I had considered. I'm capturing QAM via Time Warner. .

Maybe it is related to the QAM capture - at least I hope you are only capturing the stream of interest. I know down here there are typically at least 2 hd channels in a QAM channel and that's a lot of wasted bits to be moving around.
post #10995 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe it is related to the QAM capture - at least I hope you are only capturing the stream of interest. I know down here there are typically at least 2 hd channels in a QAM channel and that's a lot of wasted bits to be moving around.

Yes, I'm capturing only the single-channel substream. I really don't know how different the actual data streams would be in this situation. I suppose it depends on how much T/W is manipulating it before retransmitting it. Anyway, it's definitely worth taking a look, but it will take some time to get that set up.
post #10996 of 12503 Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:

I captured four shows tonight: CSI, CBS News, Heroes, and Jeopardy. The two CBS shows and the NBC show played perfectly. The NBC show came in at around 13.5mbps, while the two CBS shows came in at 16.3 (News) and 16.75 (CSI). Jeopardy (again ABC) used the highest data rate at 17.3mbps, slightly less than Lost did last week. And it was the only program of the four that did NOT play correctly. However, it didn't report the error. Instead, it actually tried to play - and failed miserably. The video ran at about twice the normal speed, and the audio was nothing but loud digital static. Very weird. And definitely not a useful result.

So it definitely could be a data rate problem. Then again, it could be an ABC problem or a Time Warner problem.

Tomorrow I'll cut out a small segment of one of the shows that fails and put it up where someone else can tell me whether or not it works on their system. And if I can find time, I'll also run a cable down from the antenna. It'll have to be just a temporary wire running through the house, though. And it will definitely have to be gone by the time my wife gets home.
post #10997 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Can't seem to get the latest software download for my MDP 120 and daughter card to work properly on my Gateway desktop with XP/SP3.

Here's what I happened ...downloaded the latest driver,etc from DC's site. After unpacking the zipped file (using MS's extract utility) the MyHD software, I loaded up [with the exception that when it first loaded the installer routine asked for the IR hardware but I ignored that option since I haven't yet purchased the remote MyHD yet]. The MyHD finished its load and after confirming with device manager that "hardware was working properly" I was able to run signal scans {per the instruction manual} with my {Comcast} cable connected but received "no signals" using the "auto" setting. Soon after two or three unsuccessful scans, I started getting an MS error dialogue box that reads: "DTV card was not working" message. I shutdown and uninstalled the MyHD file successfully (or at least I thought so). After downloading MyHD software again DC I keep getting the "DTV card not working" dialogue box.

It almost appears as if the uninstall wasn't complete and ther's stuff left in my registry files [which I know very little about]. Any ideas for at least getting back to where MyHD will run scans again ? Thanks in advance to a new member.

Now when I try the
post #10998 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Maybe Jim can paste a small clip of something he is having problems with somewhere others could test on other systems.

I put up a very short transport stream file that my PS3 will not play. It doesn't matter whether it's coming from the LAN or from the PS3's local disk, this video will not play on my PS3 (firmware v2.6). The video is a five second excerpt from last week's episode of Lost on ABC, captured via Time Warner QAM on a MyHD MDP130 card. The video bandwidth on this clip is a bit over 16Mbps.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~gilliland/Lost.ts
post #10999 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
rookieinct:
You do know that the MDP-120 can't tune digital cable channels, right? You'd need the MDP-130 for that. The 120 should find analog cable channels if there are any. Most cable systems still have analog channels but a few don't. If there's any chance of getting OTA digital channels in your area you should try that. Using the 120 just for analog is possible but kind of pointless.

Just to be sure, the driver you're trying to install is MyHD_App_Drv_v1.66.1E.exe, 6,518,068 bytes, dated 3/25/07? Not sure why it won't reinstall. It's been a while but I don't think that separate uninstallation of the previous version was required. But you should shut down MyIRC first.
post #11000 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I put up a very short transport stream file that my PS3 will not play. It doesn't matter whether it's coming from the LAN or from the PS3's local disk, this video will not play on my PS3 (firmware v2.6). The video is a five second excerpt from last week's episode of Lost on ABC, captured via Time Warner QAM on a MyHD MDP130 card. The video bandwidth on this clip is a bit over 16Mbps.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~gilliland/Lost.ts

Looks like yours and Terry's thoughts on the PS3 being the problem were right.

The clip played fine for me with the MyHD card. But when I tried using PS3 server to playback on the ps3 I got an error message this can't be played 80028801 - or something like that

I tried renaming the file extension from ts to both tp and mpg with the same error message.The thumbnail does show properly on the ps3 server for whatever that is worth (girls face)

The file also played back fine over the network using ps3 server to my IODATA Pro-HD. At the same time all my other files playback fine on my PS3 so it does appear to be something with that file.

Do you still want me to try Lost tomorrow? (I've got it scheduled but don't normally watch it).

EDIT

I did a google on that error message and found quite a few hits. Following one of them I downloaded ps3 video 9 and installed (I am not recommending as I know nothing about it and it seems to come with a lot of forced advertising); but it did convert your lost.tp file to an mp4 file that played fine on the PS3 using PS3 media server (I took all the highest quality settings and did a simple convert; not advanced)
post #11001 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 PM

I am sorry if I am doing this incorrectly. I'm not sure how to start a new subject. I am useing the s/pdif output on my MPD-130 card and I have a problem is with the volume level. It will go up and down on its own during a show on some channels. When I am watching a show on other channels only the commercials drop way down. I was watching a show and all the volume was perfect except the voices. They were barely audible. During the football game the announcers were ok but the refs volume was very low as well as some commercials while other commercials were loud. It just does not make any sense. Can anyone help?
post #11002 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quest--

It sounds as if you're not hearing all 5.1 channels; i.e., you have an audio amplifier configuration issue. Are you using an A/V Receiver with the S/PDIF output? Do you have speakers on all of your A/V R's outputs?
post #11003 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM

I have a Yamaha natural sound AV receiver RX-V793 Cinema dsp from the s/pdif of the 130 it goes to the jack labeled "PCM/digital in" TV/DBS. On my remote I seclect TV/DBS button and use the "auto" setting which means it should auto detect the type of signal coming in, analog or digital. If I put it on analog it will not work at all. The volume drops way down mostly on commercials. The whole volume drops. On other channels only the voice will drop right in the middle of the show. It just doesn't make any sense. I only have this issue useing the MDP-130. When I had cable I had it pluged into the same place and never had any issues. I never have any problems playing DVD's or movies I have on my computer. one last twist I also have basic cable nd it runs through the MDP-130 as well. through the same S/pdif cable. All the audio is fine when I go to input 2 and watch cable. I am going to swap input 1 nd 2 around and test it that way just to make sure. I don't expect it to change though. Thanks for any help.
post #11004 of 12503 Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps your MDP-130 is faulty. I've not heard of this sort of problem before.
post #11005 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:

The clip played fine for me with the MyHD card. But when I tried using PS3 server to playback on the ps3 I got an error message this can't be played 80028801 - or something like that

Do you still want me to try Lost tomorrow? (I've got it scheduled but don't normally watch it).

I did a google on that error message and found quite a few hits. Following one of them I downloaded ps3 video 9 and installed (I am not recommending as I know nothing about it and it seems to come with a lot of forced advertising); but it did convert your lost.tp file to an mp4 file that played fine on the PS3 using PS3 media server

Yes, I can convert it to a playable file using other software. But that puts a big crimp in the "ease of use" factor. For that matter, transcoding it works to some degree. But that has its share of problems as well. (For example, it's very easy to get the audio and video out of sync.) All the other MyHD files play just fine without any extra work - I'm trying to figure out why this one won't.

Yes, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd record Lost tonight. You don't have to watch it, you don't even have to record the whole show. I'd just like to know whether or not it works on the PS3 in your setup. A couple of short clips would be all that is needed.

In fact (and I know it's asking a lot), ideally I'd like to know whether or not Lost works on your PS3:

(1) when it is recorded from your OTA signal using your MyHD card, and

(2) when it is recorded from your OTA signal using your Homerun card.

Those two pieces of information would tell me a lot about whether or not this problem can be resolved. If both of the above work for you, then the problem must be in the QAM encoding at Time Warner. If the Homerun recording works, but the MyHD fails, then obviously there is something funky about the MyHD recording. And if neither works, then it is probably purely a PS3 problem with the original stream as put out by ABC - in that case, then I can only wait for Sony to fix it.

I'm going to try to do an OTA capture here as well.
post #11006 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest4Life View Post

I have a Yamaha natural sound AV receiver RX-V793 Cinema dsp from the s/pdif of the 130 it goes to the jack labeled "PCM/digital in" TV/DBS. On my remote I seclect TV/DBS button and use the "auto" setting which means it should auto detect the type of signal coming in, analog or digital. If I put it on analog it will not work at all. The volume drops way down mostly on commercials. The whole volume drops. On other channels only the voice will drop right in the middle of the show. It just doesn't make any sense. I only have this issue useing the MDP-130. When I had cable I had it pluged into the same place and never had any issues. I never have any problems playing DVD's or movies I have on my computer. one last twist I also have basic cable nd it runs through the MDP-130 as well. through the same S/pdif cable. All the audio is fine when I go to input 2 and watch cable. I am going to swap input 1 nd 2 around and test it that way just to make sure. I don't expect it to change though. Thanks for any help.

I have a variety of inputs to my receivers (Pioneers) - but a common theme I have when playing back recorded HD material on both of these is an occassional need to cycle the Dolby Digital/standard settings. Although in my case it comes in digital and the reciever recognizes it, in many cases the receiver outputs stereo digitally and it sounds like crap when in fact DD is being sent - so mine is a two step process sometimes;

do you have a similar ability to step through digital modes on your receiver to see it that clears up the sound?
post #11007 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd record Lost tonight. You don't have to watch it, you don't even have to record the whole show. I'd just like to know whether or not it works on the PS3 in your setup. A couple of short clips would be all that is needed.

In fact (and I know it's asking a lot), ideally I'd like to know whether or not Lost works on your PS3:

I will record and check it out.

A sidebar piece of information for you before you invest too much time and effort on this quest:

You can buy an IODATA JVC Pro-HD network streamer for around $70 from igsshop.com This played back your stream flawlessly for me last night. I realize that might require switching HDMI input into your display - but could be an optimal approach in your situation if indeed the problem lies in TW stream compatibilty with PS3
post #11008 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I will record and check it out.

You can buy an IODATA JVC Pro-HD network streamer for around $70 from igsshop.com This played back your stream flawlessly for me last night. I realize that might require switching HDMI input into your display - but could be an optimal approach in your situation if indeed the problem lies in TW stream compatibilty with PS3

That might be a good solution for another room in the house. I see two devices advertised on that site, and I can't really tell which of them is the one you mean. The one that says "JVC" is $80.

I just completed a test from Lost using the OTA signal. The result was the same. The file seems to have exactly the same parameters, the same approximate data rate (17+Mbps), and fails on the PS3 with the same error message. So it doesn't appear that the problem is in T/W's QAM encoding.

I would expect your test with the MyHD to fail as well. More interesting will be the result with the Homerun card. It may well fail, too, but at least that will make it very clear that the problem belongs to the PS3 alone.
post #11009 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That might be a good solution for another room in the house. I see two devices advertised on that site, and I can't really tell which of them is the one you mean. The one that says "JVC" is $80.

I just completed a test from Lost using the OTA signal. The result was the same. The file seems to have exactly the same parameters, the same approximate data rate (17+Mbps), and fails on the PS3 with the same error message. So it doesn't appear that the problem is in T/W's QAM encoding.

I would expect your test with the MyHD to fail as well. More interesting will be the result with the Homerun card. It may well fail, too, but at least that will make it very clear that the problem belongs to the PS3 alone.

The one I was talking about was the JVC for $80.

I had some mixed success with recording Lost. I set up three simultaneous recordings:

============================================================ =
HDHomerun CAPTURE ATTEMPT : Lost - The Little Prince ** NEW **
AIRS : 103.1701 - 02/04/09 21:00-22:02 Episode #: EP006723620115
SUCCESS : WJLADT 103.1701 Computer : TVCOMPUTER DevId : 269742251

HDHomerun CAPTURE ATTEMPT : Lost - The Little Prince ** NEW **
AIRS : 52.3 - 02/04/09 21:00-22:02 Episode #: EP006723620115
SUCCESS : WMARDT 52.3 Computer : TVCOMPUTER DevId : 269742251

and a manual with MyHD for our Local abc WJLA (the WMAR above is OTA on the HDHomerun; obviously the HDHOMERUN WJLA is QAM (MyHD records on an NAS; HDHomerun on base computer's media drive)

The only one that worked well watching on PS3 while the three recordings were going on was the QAM. The OTA on the HD Homerun had no sound but video was ok; and the MyHD would start and freeze after about 20 seconds.

All three would playback fine while recording when using the JVC Pro-HD - so that may be the best solution for you.

Once I stopped recording and played back the recorded files they all played fine on the ps3; so there appears to be some bandwith related problem that stops me from playing back live on the ps3 but it didn't affect the actual recordings (these went for about 40 minutes or so) Maybe 4 streams is just too much; but as I mentioned it worked fine for all three on the Pro-HD playback so problem is related to the ps3
post #11010 of 12503 Old 02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way all my data rates; as reported by the ps3 - are much lower than yours

The video maxes out around 12.5 Mbps - the audio is 5.1 48khz around 380 kbps - all are similar whether QAM or OTA from either Baltimore or Washington
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page