post #12541 of 12553 Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
WMP says that it can't play them. I presume that's because I've not bothered to install an MPEG codec in this machine. Can find no settings for the DLNA server except for setting its root folder(s). I suspect that the temp file is a Windows thing rather than a NAS thing.
Possibly true on the codec. I've never used WMP because of its limitations and virus issues. VLC and MPC are normally standalone players and don't alter your Windows installation unless you found a third party installation package. A licensed DVD player software will add codecs.

The mpeg file is the DLNA Server transcoding the original because it thinks your device can't play it. Some Servers have a mind of their own and will never work in particular combinations regardless of settings. That's why there are so many DLNA offerings. Sometimes the issue can be as simple as a mismatch between the content and the file extension. A file rename can sometimes fix that. The usual solution is a different DLNA Server.

I gave up on DLNA and bought a Media Player that can browse plain network file shares. If it can't play a file, I can transcode it myself. (or remux it) If it can't see a file, I can rename it.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 12553 Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
VLC and MPC are normally standalone players and don't alter your Windows installation unless you found a third party installation package. A licensed DVD player software will add codecs....
Thanks, Steve. The Cyberlink stuff is doubtless why Wendell's WMP can play MPEG video. VLC comes with codecs but keeps them to itself.
Quote:
I gave up on DLNA and bought a Media Player that can browse plain network file shares. If it can't play a file, I can transcode it myself. (or remux it) If it can't see a file, I can rename it.
Me too, and that's why I like TViX. It can browse shares and will play almost anything (without renaming)!
post #12543 of 12553 Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone imagine why this anomaly would happen with MyHD?

I had a strange anomaly happen with MyHD 130 over this weekend. I left town Thursday morning, Nov. 27, having programmed this PC's MyHD app to timeshift a football game that started at 5:30PM that day. MyHD was configured to go into suspend after the last scheduled recording, and that was the only one scheduled. The recording should have been approximately 5 hours. This almost invariably works as planned. The machine was in suspend, and when I set up things this way the machine comes out of suspend, makes the scheduled recording and goes back into suspend when the recording completes. However, this time I came back to the machine this morning (3 days later) and the machine was on (WTF). There was nothing in the \MyHD Buffer folder when I scheduled the recording, so I expected the files to start with timeshift(0).tp, and increment continuously as 1, 2, 3, etc. However, the first file was number timeshift(5513).tp, and there was 30+ hours of continuous timeshifting in the buffer, and more were being added continuously. The files in the buffer (#5513 onward) were from Saturday at 12:08AM and onward (12:08AM Saturday seeming to be a random point in time!). Timeshifting files 1-5513, had they been there, would have corresponded to recording from the beginning of the scheduled recording until file Saturday at 12:08AM, when for some mysterious reason, files started appearing in the buffer, although the correct station had not been tuned to by MyHD. So, I wound up with 30+ hours of the wrong station recorded at the wrong time. There was a message from Microsoft on the screen, the one I get frequently being a warning that Windows XP is no longer supported, which I dismissed when I turned on the monitor this morning. That may have something to do with this strange behavior, however why actual appearance of files in the buffer would happen when they did is a complete mystery. I checked the MyHD scheduled recordings this morning and that recording was still shown in there and I could see no mistake in the parameters set (including start time, duration, channel, date, capture mode was "Watch").

Last edited by Muse; 11-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.
post #12544 of 12553 Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Muse, I assume that you set up a programmed "watch" and you have full-time timeshifting enabled. I don't know what went amiss, but I suggest that you use a programmed capture instead of time shifting when you know that you won't be actually watching anyway. That will put a lot less stress on the system and therefore is likely to be more reliable overall.
post #12545 of 12553 Old 11-30-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll do it on a case by case basis. It is easy to import something into the thread if need be. Locating or writing the answer is the time consuming part. If it turns out to make more sense to import everything in, that's what I'll do. My only opinion is to keep the original first post clean and simple as an index so it is easier to locate stuff. If I copied the answer into the thread, I also wanted to at least link to the original post the answer came from (or acknowledge the original writer) to give credit to whomever took the time to write a detailed answer.

I entered your questions into the index. Feel free to answer the questions in the thread and I'll link the question to your answer.
post #12546 of 12553 Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Muse, this won't explain all of your problems, maybe not any of them, but I vaguely recall a long-ago discussion of some trouble when the numbers on timeshift files got too large. I don't remember any details such as how large was too large or what happened when the magic number was reached. Perhaps one of the old timers here will remember.

The Microsoft message suggests that you have automatic updates turned on or at least the PC is checking for them. You should probably disable that.
post #12547 of 12553 Old 12-01-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Muse, I assume that you set up a programmed "watch" and you have full-time timeshifting enabled. I don't know what went amiss, but I suggest that you use a programmed capture instead of time shifting when you know that you won't be actually watching anyway. That will put a lot less stress on the system and therefore is likely to be more reliable overall.
Yes, that's probably a good idea. Yes, I keep full time timeshifting enabled in the app with rare exceptions, very rare.
post #12548 of 12553 Unread Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This will render current ATSC receivers obsolete, eh?
http://atsc.org/newsletter/2013/10/d...ing-evaluated/

I've only just began to read the 2011 thread on it.

Last edited by browncoat; Yesterday at 11:06 PM.
post #12549 of 12553 Unread Yesterday, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

No problem, we all are ready to buy New HDTVs Right.

They will be needed when RF 31 and above goes away anyway.

But wait, we don't want any HDTV sets anyway, we will get all we want on Smart Phones.

And how will the laws be written and signed into law?

We have an election up coming in 2016, congress needs the money to get re-elected and now there is no limit.

Just watch the money flowing out of "K" street, it will be a huge flood.

SHF
post #12550 of 12553 Unread Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Yes, that's probably a good idea ["I suggest that you use a programmed capture instead of time shifting"]. Yes, I keep full time timeshifting enabled in the app with rare exceptions, very rare.
But... one reason I almost always timeshift instead of do a "programmed capture" is that when I watch the program, if it was timeshifted, whatever channel MyHD is on (when actually watching) will be recorded in real time as a timeshift. This means that if there's "anything on" that I'm potentially interested in (e.g. news, possibly another sporting event... I'm partial to those, some of them), I will have the option to view that after I watch the original program. AFAIK, timeshifting while watching a programmed capture is not supported by the MyHD app.

Last edited by Muse; Today at 08:47 AM.
post #12551 of 12553 Unread Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

Hmm, maybe I should stick with what I've got instead of getting another ATSC HD reception system. I'm not exactly in crisis mode here, but I do really need another mobo (and accouterments), it's on my todo list.

As far as our smartphones, I go phooey, who wants to watch a movie on a smartphone? For real?
post #12552 of 12553 Unread Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Muse, I take it that you have only one ATSC tuner available for capturing stuff? It's quite simple to attach more to your existing PC via USB or ethernet. (My favorite option is the HD Homerun variety controlled via our very own CW_EPG program but there are many others) Then you can use MyHD for completely independent playback of the stuff that they capture. ATSC 3.0 notwithstanding.
post #12553 of 12553 Unread Today, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Muse, I take it that you have only one ATSC tuner available for capturing stuff? It's quite simple to attach more to your existing PC via USB or ethernet. (My favorite option is the HD Homerun variety controlled via our very own CW_EPG program but there are many others) Then you can use MyHD for completely independent playback of the stuff that they capture. ATSC 3.0 notwithstanding.
Yes, just one tuner in the PC I normally use. I have a MyHD 120 in another PC, but until I replace the bad HD in it, I can't boot it! I think that's what's going on there, I just haven't gotten around to doing that, not a high priority item. I've done concurrent stuff with the two cards, but only on rare occasions.

Anyway, the weird problem I had with a timeshift that I reported the week after Thanksgiving hasn't happened again. Have no idea what happened there. I've done one regular capture since, confirmed that no files are recorded while watching such a capture and I've gone back to full time timeshifting as my method of choice. I just run a batch file from a shortcut on my desktop when I want to empty the buffer and start from scratch, which is most of the time when I finish watching something. I have a bunch of things I've either not watched yet or want the option to watch again. Some of those are normal captures, some are timeshifting that I've stashed in directories renamed to tell me what's in there.

Last edited by Muse; Today at 06:09 PM.
Reply Home Theater Computers