post #12541 of 12542 Old 11-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
WMP says that it can't play them. I presume that's because I've not bothered to install an MPEG codec in this machine. Can find no settings for the DLNA server except for setting its root folder(s). I suspect that the temp file is a Windows thing rather than a NAS thing.
Possibly true on the codec. I've never used WMP because of its limitations and virus issues. VLC and MPC are normally standalone players and don't alter your Windows installation unless you found a third party installation package. A licensed DVD player software will add codecs.

The mpeg file is the DLNA Server transcoding the original because it thinks your device can't play it. Some Servers have a mind of their own and will never work in particular combinations regardless of settings. That's why there are so many DLNA offerings. Sometimes the issue can be as simple as a mismatch between the content and the file extension. A file rename can sometimes fix that. The usual solution is a different DLNA Server.

I gave up on DLNA and bought a Media Player that can browse plain network file shares. If it can't play a file, I can transcode it myself. (or remux it) If it can't see a file, I can rename it.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 12542 Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
VLC and MPC are normally standalone players and don't alter your Windows installation unless you found a third party installation package. A licensed DVD player software will add codecs....
Thanks, Steve. The Cyberlink stuff is doubtless why Wendell's WMP can play MPEG video. VLC comes with codecs but keeps them to itself.
Quote:
I gave up on DLNA and bought a Media Player that can browse plain network file shares. If it can't play a file, I can transcode it myself. (or remux it) If it can't see a file, I can rename it.
Me too, and that's why I like TViX. It can browse shares and will play almost anything (without renaming)!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page