MyHD MDP-130 - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #12601 of 12617 Old 09-08-2016, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
John walker

everything sounds good to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 12617 Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Are the blue dongles known to go belly up? {did a search, couldn't find any old posting}
As an experiment, I left the PVR on, just the desktop, MyHD off and physically turned the monitor off.
Upon returning from errands, switched monitor on, desktop appeared, then screen went black [no screensaver active]
with the blue monitor switch light on & not going to amber. Activating the MyHD it took about eight on/offs, pressing the
remote's HD button over and over again, before both TV picture and desktop were stable.
Maybe re-seat the card? The whole bloody case needs a good dusting any how.

The only way around this so far is what I did the previous day, just leave monitor on, no screen saver or other power settings,
MyHD activation/use then went as normal. Probably going into dual monitor mode in the CP would also get around this glitch.
post #12603 of 12617 Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bruce, I'm betting that the problem will go away after your housecleaning. But if it doesn't PM me an address and I'll send you one of the spare dongles from my closet.
post #12604 of 12617 Old 09-22-2016, 09:50 PM

It was the monitor.

Swapped dongles with the one that was boxed, but Thursday went to watch the noon news, blue light, not amber , sound but no picture.
Wasn't using the MyHD, swapped a neighbours spare [with damaged pixels] but had both the desktop and TV with just a bit of aspect ratio crunch, so guessing it is the LCD backlight that was acting up. For when I reconnected, the monitor {Acer 24"} would go dim in a corner, then go black with the blue light on, like it was receiving a signal but pooping out on illumination.

That means this identical model will go in the future, the main difference, when I walk away I just hit the power button off, no screensaver or
other power settings.
post #12605 of 12617 Old 09-25-2016, 02:05 PM

Got the monitor 1920x1080, now trying to figure out what gives the best aspect ratios, 1280x1024p from the VGA menu tab doesn't cut it like it did on the 1680x1050
monitor. No black bars top and bottom on wide screen HD shows any more.

For now, leaving it on 1920x1080i but like an earlier poster, wish there was a setting 1920x1080p because at this setting the OSD menus look
kinda rough and flickery eventhough the picture isn't. In the other settings the OSD menus have a smoother look. Plus people and things look a tad
too 'thin' , imperceptible to most, I'm just finicky that way.
post #12606 of 12617 Old 09-25-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
Got the monitor 1920x1080, now trying to figure out what gives the best aspect ratios, 1280x1024p from the VGA menu tab doesn't cut it like it did on the 1680x1050
monitor. No black bars top and bottom on wide screen HD shows any more.

For now, leaving it on 1920x1080i but like an earlier poster, wish there was a setting 1920x1080p because at this setting the OSD menus look
kinda rough and flickery eventhough the picture isn't. In the other settings the OSD menus have a smoother look. Plus people and things look a tad
too 'thin' , imperceptible to most, I'm just finicky that way.
My new monitor has HDMI inputs only.
Quote:
OSD menus look kinda rough and flickery
Same here with my new Sony.

With the VGA to HDMI adapter 1080P produced no picture, 720 a great one. BUT!!! The pass through audio requires speaker setting for audio output (Cord plugs in the normal speaker out jack).

So if I want to use the MyHD VGA output I have to switch the audio. (Note, a different Graphics Adapter may not require this.) I expect to use MyHD only when Fusion is down waiting for another reinstall. EDIT: Another failed switch to KNTV VC 11 RF 12, computer restart needed, . Then Fusion repair, restart, Fusion uninstall, restart, Fusion install, restart, scan for channels, change settings. My HD prepared if needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812186169

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 09-25-2016 at 05:24 PM.
post #12607 of 12617 Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
My new monitor has HDMI inputs only. Same here with my new Sony.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812186169

SHF
I was able to find a variant of a Acer G6 model:
http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/UM.HG6AA.G04
That has one of each, D-sub 15 pin VGA, standard DVI and one HDMI.
@ the local Staples for 199.99 CDN, 30 bucks cheaper than the W233's were in
2008. , so I added a service package for 29.99, all because out of hundreds of
glowing reviews, there were six bad ones I encountered. So, hedging my bets
for inconsistencies on the factory floor. When I can afford it, like to replace this final
W233 with another, great computer monitor, plenty of real estate, but having found
the optimum setting, so people, foregrounds and backgrounds look proper, it was
actually the 1024x768p setting that produced the best results, so now on 16:9 material
I have black all around the outside. Having UN-checked the option in the 130's OSD
tab to display the output, it reverted to reading "AUTO" in capitals, and furthermore
SD material actually fills in more of the screen.

On the other hand, if I went the other way, and bought a 'real' TV, I'd have to be sure I get one
that has controls to reduce the overscan when used as computer monitor, or else the icons will be in the wrong place,
and the wall paper skewed and even some of the taskbars may be hidden by the overscan.
Still a larger picture by all accounts, and the MyHD's OSD menus are much smoother looking.
Still getting used to it. The manuals are pitiful, why even bother putting out a CD if the thing is do devoid
of the kind of info techheads require, and it didn't even fully relate to my particular model!

Now I understand the noobs, those that want the incoming picture to fill all of the real
estate, yet put up with a maladjusted set that doesn't display the true aspect ratios.
They'll sit there, watching their sports and wondering why all the people are 'skinny'
on TV. I got one on the far north corner that screams and yells 'why do all the people look funny?'
I scream and yell too, but my frustrations are in other areas {like being poor and hating it} .

BTW, when I was learning the controls that are there, I discovered that it keeps more than one
memory of the settings, even if the same input is used, and in the previous 1920x1080i, when using
the 130, It reads that the output, at the dongle, is actually 1920x540, meaning that the monitor works
best with progressive, rather than interlaced peripherals. NONE of it in the manuals, and the box material calls it an LED
yet on-line descriptions call it LCD, no wonder people get confused.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-25-2016 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add info...
post #12608 of 12617 Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't know why aspect ratios using MyHD are problematic. I don't normally use OSD anymore, just go full HD at 1920x1080i and my aspect ratios look perfect on my PJ system, also on my 23" computer monitor. I'm a guy who notices distorted images (too skinny, etc.), and I'm virtually positive I'm not getting any of that. I don't think I'm losing any of the picture (could be wrong), and I get no black bars at top/bottom or sides. It appears I get a perfect fit.

What does happen occasionally (maybe every 15 hours of MyHD use), is that the screen will go suddenly blank. A workaround for that (besides resetting the PC!), is to go out of HD mode, go into MyHD settings, set the res to other than 1920x1080i, poke the Apply button and then set it back to 1920x1080i, poke apply again, close settings, go HD again and the picture is back. I discovered the other day that it's possible to do all this with the remote, but I haven't done that yet, not sure it will work but I'll try it next time the screen goes black.

There are plenty of little or big gotchas/caveats with the MyHD cards (it doesn't surprise me that my first one was given up unused by an Ebay seller who decided to go Tivo HD instead!!!), but I've always managed to get it to work one way or another. Plenty of aggravation, but no clear reason to toss it in a dumpster and find another solution for HDTV/DVR.

Last edited by Muse; 09-26-2016 at 08:07 AM.
post #12609 of 12617 Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My Graphics card (On W7) just asked the TV what it was and what resolution it wanted to use and all has been great from the start. (1080p)

MyHD with the desktop passed on produced no picture. I finally disconnected the graphics card and selected 720p and a great picture appeared.

I have discovered that I can switch between the two HDMI inputs with just a button press on the Sony remote so no need to pass the desktop through. The sound is available only on one of the HDMI inputs at a time which is a bummer.

SHF
post #12610 of 12617 Old 09-27-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
I'm going to have to come back later, this !@#$%^%$#@! board didn't process my response to Muse, and didn't save a draft, now I'm missing the news.
While you are composing your message, I'll add this:

My PJ is an Epson 8700UB, which I bought reburb at Visual Apex. Great image, great blacks, a lot of bang for the buck. Still on my first bulb since I got it over 4 years ago, probably around 3000 hours on it now. I run it in Eco mode and low brightness to boot (projecting from a meager 10 feet in a very dark room, I don't need much brightness). I believe this makes it run relatively cool and extends my bulb life greatly.

I also run it in an altitude setting (although I'm at 80 feet above sea level), which makes the fan work harder. This creates more noise, but since I use earbuds, I don't hear that noise and bulb life is further extended, undoubtedly. I feel this is a good idea because I often run this in a hot room where the temperature reaches nearly 90 degrees F.

Its native res is 1080p = 1920x1080. Same native res on my 23" desktop monitor, so AFAIK I get a perfect image using 1920x1080 in MyHD. I got a cheap switch from Monoprice to switch between the 23" and the PJ. Works flawlessly, but you have to walk up to it, it can't be switched with a remote control. However, it's never failed me.

Last edited by Muse; 09-27-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #12611 of 12617 Old 09-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Oh! You're talking projectors, I was going to accuse you of running the 130 in 'Zoom' mode all the time..that's the only way not to see any bars around the picture on a true monitor, you should see the crazy numbers I had to use when setting up KMPlayer, in order to get the proportions correct, but that doesn't affect the source material, 1080p always looks better than 720p .mkv but are larger files and .mp4, especially in 720 always looks inferior. Aspect ratios too, since I have it set in another menu "Keep Source Aspect Ratio" but doesn't affect quality, wide screen movies vary and you can see it.

Well, in the control panel, the AV tab, what says Resolutions, should probably have been marked some thing else, because over to the right of that, the upper box is greyed out on mine and I leave it in Auto Letterboxed, on the right side where it says Aspect Ratio, and you can see it change according to the input of the broadcasting station. Like some sub-channels only transmit 720x480i, however they're not all the same because, if you use the On Screen Data, in curved brackets it will tell you if the material source is 16:9 or 4:3, but you say you don't use the OSD {or do you have that confused with the annoying overlay, which I disabled since day one}. Most people I know, even those that use Hauppage, or however its spelled, use at least the two settings so they can see what channel/station their on and the time of day from a distance, and when I change channels, I have it set for a 5 second display, though I've forgotten by now what the default was.
How do you tell what station you're on? Don't you even want to use the on-screen clock that's built in?

Yet, on the main channels you can see that the 1920x1080i stations are crisper than the ones, like the local CBC that went down from that to 1280x720p are softer focus and sometimes displays artefacts. Terry said {IIRC} a long time ago that , if it transmits 1080, that's what you see, ditto for 720p and the rest. That's what I like about the On Screen Data {as I like to call it, rather than that other word} I can tell what the broadcasting station is sending me but I wish the local CBC would send out PSIP, to make programming easier. So I have all the boxes on the left of that tab checked, but leave the one marked resolution [erroneously] on the right of the tab unchecked.
I don't know, maybe you do have it on 'Zoom' all the time, are logos and other data cut off at the sides sometimes?
Aren't you the one that has all the trouble with time-shifting?
As for "The Glitch" , well it locks the computer during scheduled recording but doesn't harm the final result, so you have to wait until it is done, then do that action, or reboot. So when I was in the Hospital I had a friend not only feed my cat, but if they came in prior to the start of prime-time TV, give the PVR computer a hard reboot at the PSU switch, to reload all drivers and avoid that occasional hammering sound effect that locks up the machine as well, especially if they hear it, but that only occurs every four to six months, if ever, without the practice of hard rebooting. Peculiar thing, after not getting it for three years, it came back with a vengeance, once in December, then again in May but has behaved since, with dusting and a schedule of hard reboots.
This monitor, unlike the W233s, actually have an input switch on the bottom, I played with it, watching it cycle until it stopped at the VGA selection, so I may experiment this weekend with the VGA tab's Dual Monitor option and hook the video card to the DVI and the 130 to the VGA and see how it behaves. Still angry at the lack of quality in the manuals, the CD at least should have been more comprehensive, so I left a star off for that.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #12612 of 12617 Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Browncoat, I'm going to study and reply to your last post, but am busy at the moment. However, I'll do it soon. Meantime, to help clarify for you (and to document my own settings, as I'm saving this info in my own data), here are my settings tab by tab. Please feel free to comment, a lot of my settings are there in spite of my ignorance, I imagine there are good reasons to change some. Currently they are thus:
-----------------------------
AV tab:
Video Resolution: 1920 x 1080 I

Aspect Ration:
Auto [CHECKED]
Screen Format: Letter Box (i.e. not Zoom)

Display Type: RGB

Video Controls:
Display Effect is the chosen radio button

Audio: Output
Analog Cable Out [CHECKED]
PC Soundcard [CHECKED]
MyHD SPDIF [unchecked]

Analog Audio
Mode: Stereo radio button chosen

Soundcard Output Mode: Dolby Surround (probably doesn't matter, could be Stereo because I'm using stereo earbuds, not my 5.1 system)
-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
VGA tab
Overlay Window Overlay Mode: VOP 30 fields/sec
Fixed Aspect Ration [unchecked]
Keep Video on Top [unchecked]
Show Overlay Window [unchecked]
Show OSD on Overlay [CHECKED]

Miscellaneous
Channel Display
Show Channel Number [CHECKED]
Show Channel Name [CHECKED]

Use Separate (Dual) Monitors [unchecked]
Set MyHD Process Priority High [CHECKED]
Start with last Input Mode [unchecked]
Turn off the Computer when closing MyHD by Remote Controller [unchecked]
Start in HD Mode [unchecked]
Clip Mouse Cursor to Overlay in HD Mode [CHECKED]
Enable DVI Output [CHECKED]
Use Web EPG [unchecked]
- - - - - - - - - -
File Play Setup tab

Loop Option
Loop [CHECKED]
All of List radio button selected

Play the next-numbered file continuously [CHECKED]
Add captured file to the play file list [CHECKED]

My typical FF/REW Skip Time setting is 10 seconds for both (I make temporary adjustments to that once in a while if I need to move to a much different part of a long recording, for some reason moving the pointer with the mouse just doesn't work out 95% of the time)
- - - - - - - -
OSD tab

All my settings are default AFAIK
All the checkboxes are [CHECKED]
OSD Duration is the default 5 seconds
- - - - - - - -
Timeshift tab

Full Time Timeshift [CHECKED]
Use Numeric Keys as FF/REW [CHECKED]
Disable Channel Up/Down Keys [CHECKED]
Preserve Timeshift Buffer Files [CHECKED] (When I want to purge my timeshift buffer I run a batch file that accomplishes that)

I have my Max Duration set really high because I'm writing my timeshift buffer files to a huge external HD [6000] minutes (much bigger than I need, but I've been burned a few times when it's not set high enough).

Monkeying around with the directory for the MyHD Buffer is one of the cute things about MyHD timeshifting. You can rename a directory and effectively save a recording for later watching or processing. I wrote a function that spruces up a timeshift buffer directory, renumbers all the files to start with 0 and go up consecutively in one digit increments to the last, regardless of what I've deleted before running the function. I do this all the time, 95+% of the time, I Full Time Timeshift with MyHD.
- - - -
CC Tab

I haven't experimented with this, maybe I should. I have it off. My hearing is not so hot (I use REW often for that). Maybe messing with CC would help, but it's an annoyance as long as I can understand spoken speech.

- - - - - - - -

Last edited by Muse; 09-28-2016 at 09:33 AM.
post #12613 of 12617 Old 09-28-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Browncoat, regarding the hammering sound problems you've had:

I have on occasion had a hammering sound (usually pretty faint, but it varies). I think it has to do with my sound card. If I kill that process and restart it the problem is solved, IIRC. I'm running a very old Hercules Game Theater XP, which has an external breakout box. The card itself uses a PCI slot.

The manual -- yeah, the English is pretty fractured, IIRC. I haven't looked at it in ages. I started a project to rewrite it, there was a way, and produce a well written version. My impression was that there was a lot of great info in it but to me it's onerous to have to reinterpret in my brain every 3rd sentence to make sense out of it. My brain does produce the proper English. I posted in some thread my intention of rewriting the manual, trying to enlist support, but AFAIK nobody responded and I dropped the project.

Last edited by Muse; 09-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #12614 of 12617 Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 PM

I'm busy too, but the manual I was referring to was the monitor manual.
Oh! You have the DVI checked?, since the two cards were already very expensive for me {before Kei started to discount them} I never ordered the daughtercard, that is the major difference between our systems, I'm just using the Analogue/RGB/VGA.
That may be the performance difference.
Going to 1920x1080i always produces a distorted image.
However, when testing on both the 1920x1080i setting and the 'Native' setting, the Acer input dialogue indicates
only 1920x540 at the dongle, and in the Native setting that information dialogue changes with the incoming signal and the setting I used to use on the old W233, 1280x1024p plays but the images are out of proportion, this time the letterboxed height remains the same, but the image is stretched horizontally making people and objects way too wide. I have a theory, that if more choices were offered, like say, 1280x800 or more, so one could 'stretch' people higher, since it seems that it is the latter number that dictates vertical rez. It most likely means, at least here, that the 130 can't pass or de-interlace a 1080i into a 1080p or the G6 can't see it as 1080p or i, therefore, the latter figure would mean 540p that part I don't understand, yet the desktop shows up in the same dialogue box as 1920x1080.
So it looks like the Koreans {Macro Image} only gave us 720p output or 768p in this case, I don't care, I actually like the borders, lets me know I'm getting the entire image but there is one difference, the W233s had separate horizontal {Khz} and vertical {Hz} adjustments.
the G6 just a 60Hz refresh, no playing with the horizontal. Maybe I have to spend more money but for kicks, if I do the dual monitor selection, maybe I'll install the boxed 130 {no DVD playing, except through KMP} because for now, it just says my desktop on the workstation is at the max rez of 1680x1050 for the W233.
To further confuse things:
Code:
 http://www.scantips.com/basics1c.html

I have a frelling headache now, good night!

Last edited by browncoat; Yesterday at 06:27 PM.
post #12615 of 12617 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Browncoat, I'm thinking that if you look around you can find a 130 daughterboard way cheaper than what it used to cost. Wouldn't that simplify your system? Your description of how you've wrestled with getting a good image makes my head spin. It's been totally easy for me, my image seems perfect on my 1920x1080i displays using that res and DVI checked. Nothing more to do. It's possible I'm losing some of the image, I don't know, but have no reason to think so. However, the other day I watched the debate and 1/2 of Trump's right hand was being cut off, so I had to wonder. That's the first time I wondered, though.

Last edited by Muse; Today at 11:45 AM.
post #12616 of 12617 Old Today, 01:52 AM

Curious, because on the local NBC station, 1920x1080i, the stage was really wide and old Orange Face had at least four-five feet to his right and Hillary on the opposite side had the same to her left. I'm not worried though, with ATSC 3.0 on the horizon and it not being backward compatible I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of hardware will be available to builders. In three years the 130s then will just be conversation pieces. It used to be that the 130s hardware decoder was necessary but now
video cards are so powerful, and quad-cores common, that work can be done in software now.

I did take a quick look at eBay,ca, but most vendors are too greedy for items that will be obsolete in three years.
I'm happy to just get a clear picture, and it may be that the G6s are Acer's lower end [but still fine quality, they got me through the Atari years] line of monitors, and to get more bells and whistles, one must dole out more cash. Yes, I do remember now, on the old Pentium, the resolution on the W233 on this desk was getting 1280x1024p, which is why I'm guessing that the larger G6 only lets me get 768p [like the flood of current 'real' 32 inch TVs] same tech ? , just a tuner slapped on? All made in China/Indonesia/Thailand anyhow .

Makes me wonder why Fisher's Sony [usually high end] only came with three HDMI, whereas up here it is more common
to get at least one of each type connection point/input. Tailored to different markets?
I was annoyed though, that instead of a standard IEEE power chord, the G6 variant I have uses an adapter, and its' power end
has an odd curved relief that doesn't match the IEEE standard, so I'm screwed if I ever lose the adapter or the part that plugs
into the AC.

Last edited by browncoat; Today at 01:58 AM.
post #12617 of 12617 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, just did an Ebay search for the daughterboard. What little is there is just ridiculously overpriced. Greed is the operative concept there. Ugh! There's tons of overpriced stuff on ebay. Often even new, it's priced higher than new stuff on Amazon. I check a lot anyway, I get some good deals there. Sometimes I search elsewhere too, depends on the item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers