Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #12691 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Muse, IIRC, there is a pin on the DVI output that is supposed to be at +5 volt to signal a valid output being presented, but the daughterboard DVI output lacks that signal (under some circumstances?). There were reports of some monitors not showing a picture if that signal was absent. Your description sounds like those old reports. I think that Dave Plettner was one who reported on that and had a fix, but I didn't experience it and it's been too long for the leetle grey cells to render it up directly. I just searched the MetaFAQ and came up empty, but this post of Dave's may help. Otherwise, searching this thread for DVI references may turn up a better lead.

P.S.: For your configuration, do make sure that you have the Enable DVI box checked in MyHD Configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm. It seems to me that the change here is the video card. Setting things up like they were (granted, different mobo, CPU, RAM) I get nothing on the screens (desktop or projector, depending on the mechanical switch toggle).

Well, I have it working now but not the way I had it before, which was preferable. The way I had it before was Windows desktop displaying on my 23" monitor or projector screen, depending on the DVI switch toggle. Opening the MyHD app and sending the signal to HD sends HD to either the monitor or the projector (again, it's just the DVI switch toggle that decides where). That's the way I had it. But that isn't working. I get blank screens if I try that.

What is working is reversing the cables on the video card (both my old AGP card and the PCI-e that I'm using now are dual DVI). The net effect is that Windows boot screen and desktop displays on my 2nd desktop monitor, which is a 19" Eizo that has two DVI inputs and a VGA. It gets DVI from the 9600 GSO PCI-e card that I'm using now. The 23" monitor stays blank until I turn on HD in MyHD. I experimented with another setting I don't remember dealing with, which is using dual monitors, a setting in MyHD. Checking that box sends HD to the 23" monitor as soon as I open the MyHD app, not just when I hit the HD button in the app or emote. Toggling the DVI switch sends that TV image to the projector. So, it works. It's usable. Not as nice. I don't know if swapping out the 19" for a 23" would fix that. It could be that it's the 1920x1080 res that's the problem, the 19" uses 1280x1024. Anyway, it's usable as is. I can keep fiddling with stuff and maybe come up with a better setup. I messed with nView some (don't understand it all that very well, the nVidia Control Panel, etc.). I did that a few times and things just got real screwed up and I went back to zero by uninstalling the display and starting over, installing the video driver from a big EXE. Can maybe use nView still to get dual monitor Windows going... probably. But dual monitor isn't a big deal if I can't browse or access email. Maybe I'll get Win7 for the machine so I can do that. Anyway, I have a usable setup now, if not as handy as it was before the former mobo died.

I'll look at Dave's post there and see if it helps. Thanks!

Last edited by Muse; 01-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
post #12693 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oops. There's a problem. I'm making a test recording. I scheduled a recording to start at 1PM, and put the machine in suspend. I just came back, and was pleased to find that the machine was on. The two desktop monitors were blank. I figured they had dimmed from lack of activity, but clicking mouse or keyboard keys does not activate the screens.

Argh.

Going to have to turn off the machine with this keyboard sequence, which I've used quite a few times today:

Control+Alt+Delete
Alt+u
Down Arrow, Down Arrow
Enter

Edit: For some reason that combination is not turning off the machine. I'm going to have to lean on the power button.

Last edited by Muse; 01-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.

post #12694 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A little experiment had concerning result. Putting the machine in suspend by pressing the power button (I had so configured the machine in Power Options), I then press the power button again and I get a rather long tone (3-4 seconds), and the machine does a full POST/boot! Hmm.
post #12695 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Did you update the video card driver to AMD's latest (or PNY's recommendation) for your new card?
post #12696 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Did you update the video card driver to AMD's latest (or PNY's recommendation) for your new card?
Well, it's an Intel motherboard. The guy who sold it to me is pretty tech savvy and he posted me this:
---------------------------------------
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...it-english.exe

You'll need those drivers for the 9600GSO in XP.

---------------------------------------
That's the one I have installed. He posted me today this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Expecting power management to work in XP, especially with not all hardware drivers loaded (?), and not all updates installed, is probably an exercise in frustration.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I don't intend to browse with the machine evidently Windows Update is configured to automatically download and install updates. When I attempted to run WU a day or two ago it didn't work because I hadn't installed the LAN driver. Since doing that, WU has kicked in several times when I've restarted or shut down the machine, with messages such as:

Windows is installing 16 updates... etc.

The hardware drivers? I think I installed everything from the Gigabyte website for my board and XP.

Edit: Actually, looking now, maybe I didn't install everything that looks necessary. I don't believe I ran this:

motherboard_utility_DynamicEnergySaver_advanced.ex e

I'll run that now and see if that fixed the Suspend issue.

Edit: I doubt that will help. It's for reducing energy usage on machine running all the time, or I suppose in general. But I don't think it has anything to do with S3 suspend.

Is it possible that switching to S1 in CMOS will let MyHD's scheduled programs work in conjunction with suspend?

Last edited by Muse; 01-21-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #12697 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 PM

I was only focused on the lack of DVI output, not the mobo, and (my bad) I confused ATI (now AMD) and nVidia. If you're getting output from the daughterboard DVI it doesn't seem that you have the issue that I was vaguely remembering.

P.S.: Nobody should run S1. It's not really a suspend. You might as well just leave the damn thing in S0.
post #12698 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM

I just re-read your post about the suspend issue. If you have MyHD set to record in background, I'm not sure that the monitor actually should light up during a capture. However, moving the mouse or touching a key should light it. Ergo, there is a Windows configuration issue when that fails.

Obviously, most of us ran MyHD successfully on WinXP, but I haven't had a WinXP machine for years now and don't recall seeing what you describe, so I'm hopeful that it will be OK after WU has finished doing its thing.
post #12699 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just re-read your post about the suspend issue. If you have MyHD set to record in background, I'm not sure that the monitor actually should light up during a capture. However, moving the mouse or touching a key should light it. Ergo, there is a Windows configuration issue when that fails.

Obviously, most of us ran MyHD successfully on WinXP, but I haven't had a WinXP machine for years now and don't recall seeing what you describe, so I'm hopeful that it will be OK after WU has finished doing its thing.
I don't have MyHD configured to record in background. Basically I always timeshift, so I like the option to start viewing at any point in the recording. I have always had an issue with getting the cursor to stop anywhere near where I want, but I deal with that... either with many key presses or by temporarily changing the increment of FF/REW (since 8x FF is always there for me, I never change that, but my 10 second REW can be way too many presses so I temporarily change that sometimes to 100 seconds until I'm near where I want to watch from).

Windows Update says that all critical updates have been installed. I don't know what I can try now. Yes, S1 seems stupid. It seems not much different from just the monitor going blank after N minutes.

I recall having this kind of issue with one of my older machines, maybe my current 2nd midtower, which is running Windows 2000. However, I think that machine is coming out of S3 suspend fine these days for whatever reason. I'm actually wondering if I should just use that machine for my MyHD stuff these days. I have a HDHR (in shrinkwrap still), so I suppose just one MyHD machine is all I'll need. I could update it to XP or maybe just leave it running Windows 2000! That machine doesn't have lip synch issues like my main midtower has all these years before the mobo died. So far, with this replacement mobo in it I don't see lip synch problems, which is great, and (fingers crossed) maybe it won't have the system lockups that I was having. However, not having coming out of S1 suspend is pretty much a killer for this system as is unless I can find a fix.
post #12700 of 12708 Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM

I have never used full-time timeshifting in conjuction with programmed captures, so I don't know what to expect there. I don't think that MyHD.exe is capable of performing both functions at the same time, so if a capture is in progress there could be no timeshifting.
post #12701 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The damn thing can only do one task at a time, scheduled recordings will take priority.
So for me, after the scheduled recording I always had to hit the pause button again to
put it back into full time live recording.
post #12702 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have never used full-time timeshifting in conjuction with programmed captures, so I don't know what to expect there. I don't think that MyHD.exe is capable of performing both functions at the same time, so if a capture is in progress there could be no timeshifting.
I always have full-time timeshifting in effect. I suppose if I program a normal capture (i.e. not a "Watch") AND have suspend-between-captures checked, the machine will simply turn off at the end of the capture, just as it does with Watch captures. However, if the machine does not suspend at the conclusion of a capture and full time timeshifting is in effect, at the conclusion of any capture, timeshifting will continue indefinitely. I have come back to the machine many hours after a 1 hour capture concluded to find that I have many hours worth of .tp files in the \MyHD Buffer, approximately 8GB worth/hour recorded.

If full-time timeshifting is in effect the only way to stop recording is to either close the MyHD app (manually!!!) or shut off the machine (have MyHD do that with the appropriate setting in "Details" or shut off the machine manually).

Last edited by Muse; 01-23-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #12703 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Muse, all of this action depends upon Windows being properly set up so that the machine will go into either S3 or S4 sleep at the end of its Power Options timeout. Have you confirmed that this works correctly on your new system? If so, I recommend setting MyHD to "exit" after and between captures.
post #12704 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Muse, all of this action depends upon Windows being properly set up so that the machine will go into either S3 or S4 sleep at the end of its Power Options timeout. Have you confirmed that this works correctly on your new system? If so, I recommend setting MyHD to "exit" after and between captures.
I have Windows configured to not go to sleep unless I press the power button or, of course, go to Turn Off Computer/Suspend. I didn't see S4 in BIOS, just a choice between S1 and S3, and I set it to S3. Asking Windows to go into Suspend ("Standby") seems to work just fine. I just haven't seen it wake up correctly yet. Sometimes when asked to come out of S3 Suspend it seems to waken (either from the MyHD scheduling service or pressing the power button, I also configured it in BIOS so I can waken it with a keyboard password, which seems to do the same thing as pressing the power button. It seems to waken but there's no response from anything, the monitors are blank, there's no response from keyboard. If Windows has started but there's no video, presumably this keyboard sequence should shut down the machine:

Control+Alt+Delete
alt+u
down arrow
down arrow
ENTER

Sometimes instead of becoming the waking dead when asked to come out of S3 Standby, the machine does a full restart except for one thing -- the short POST beep is absent. Otherwise it appears as though it's doing a Windows startup from a shutdown state.
- - - -
I didn't know you could configure MyHD to "Exit" after or between captures. Where is that setting?
post #12705 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Muse, IIRC, there is a pin on the DVI output that is supposed to be at +5 volt to signal a valid output being presented, but the daughterboard DVI output lacks that signal (under some circumstances?). There were reports of some monitors not showing a picture if that signal was absent. Your description sounds like those old reports. I think that Dave Plettner was one who reported on that and had a fix, but I didn't experience it and it's been too long for the leetle grey cells to render it up directly. I just searched the MetaFAQ and came up empty, but this post of Dave's may help. Otherwise, searching this thread for DVI references may turn up a better lead.

P.S.: For your configuration, do make sure that you have the Enable DVI box checked in MyHD Configuration.
Well, I didn't have this problem with the same monitor, same MyHD-130 card and same daughterboard before swapping out the mobo, GPU card, RAM, CPU and, of course, reinstalling XP 32bit and doing the knarly-as-usual mobo driver and XP updates.

I was having some disturbing problems Saturday, however, with the DVI cables going to the dual DVI PNY 9600 GSO PCI-e card. One of the pins of both cables (the blue loop cable that goes to the DVI in of the daughterboard and the cable that (when things are set up as intended) goes to the DVI out of the daughterboard. When and where plugged into the video card one pin on each was being bent so that I am sure it never made contact. I finally realized it was due to plastic being bent on the female DVI connection of the video card. When I realized that, I made some subtle changes on that connector so that the cables inserted correctly. However, those changes did not solve the problematical behavior.

That DVI cable that goes to the DVI out from the daughterboard only met the famale of the video card because I had to put it there in order to get video from Windows. As said, normally, it goes to the DVI out of the daughteboad. From there it goes to the in connector of the cheap-but-effective mechanical button-press A/B digital video switch I got from Monoprice that send the video signal to either my main desktop monitor or my projector.

Last edited by Muse; 01-23-2017 at 05:15 PM.
post #12706 of 12708 Old 01-23-2017, 08:31 PM

Muse, my thinking was along the following lines: If you're newly seeing the issue of lack of +5V on the DVI sense pin it could be due to a changed video card or driver if, say, the daughterboard passes that line straight through (which it shouldn't actually do, of course, but....) and the new card or driver treats that line differently; e.g., by not always presenting it with +5V.
post #12707 of 12708 Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Muse, my thinking was along the following lines: If you're newly seeing the issue of lack of +5V on the DVI sense pin it could be due to a changed video card or driver if, say, the daughterboard passes that line straight through (which it shouldn't actually do, of course, but....) and the new card or driver treats that line differently; e.g., by not always presenting it with +5V.
OK, I see. Well, can you imagine a work around? I suppose a different video card might work. I could try a different driver. I have another, I suppose I should try it. It's older, but WHQL certified, which the one I'm using isn't, AFAIK.
post #12708 of 12708 Old 01-24-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Muse,

Terry pinged me about this earlier today. I first became aware if the issue from a Monoprice review, as described in this post:

MyHD MDP-130

Basically, the +5V signal is not supplied by the DVI daughter card, but it can be provided by a video card DVI output plugged into the loopback cable. A few more posts on this subject can be found using this search:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/search...chid=141459225

I would not expect that this issue would be affected by the driver. Technically, this pin is not a logic signal, it's a power line that provides power to the display device so that the display device can return EDID data even when it is off. I have no idea how many milliamps are required by the DVI spec.

Pin 15 is the culprit, as described in this post:

MyHD MDP-130

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers