6Likes

post #12721 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New TV, old MyHD

Showing up after being missing for years, I know, but I've been using the same gear forever. Until now.

I had the MyHD board driving my old TV through a component cable. So it came out of the MyHD dongle, through a component cable to the TV. The following image shows the dongle, a component cable (both of which I use), and a DVI cable (on top, not relevant to me). When the component cable is plugged into the dongle (the connector for which is kind of hidden in this photo), it drives the video to the TV great. Actually, both TV's work with this configuration.

But since my component cable not long enough, I thought I'd buy a thing to convert to HDMI. I thought I had a good plan for connecting my new TV via a nice, long, slinky HDMI cable. So I went shopping for an adapter. I got it, tried it, but couldn't get it to work (TV says nothing on the HDMI input when I select it). I'm not sure it had no hope of working, or if what I got was defective.

This is the thing I bought, that I can't get to work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152418941441

The USB is only for power, and I've connected it to a 110V to USB phone wall plug as well as the computer with no joy.

So, only AFTER, it didn't work did I start wondering what, exactly, is coming out of that MyHD dongle. I thought it was a computer monitor signal (it is a "VGA" amp connector, after all). I thought that the monitor "VGA" signal could be passively wired into component outputs. The device I bought is expecting a computer monitor signal. It's supposed to marry-up the sound, which actually isn't a big deal for me, because I'm not going to be using the integrated TV speakers too much, but I certainly expected to see the 1080 x 1920 on the new TV, but no joy.

What should I do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dale, did you change the YPbPr check to the RGB one? That would cause MyHD to output VGA signals on that port, AIUI, while the YPbPr setting generates component video instead.
post #12723 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Dale, did you change the YPbPr check to the RGB one? That would cause MyHD to output VGA signals on that port, AIUI, while the YPbPr setting generates component video instead.
Mine is working with RGB but I did not get good success until I lowered the MyHD down to 1280 x 720 P and disconnected the desktop connection from my graphics card. The desktop is 1920 x 1080.

I tried MyHd with 1920 x 1080 again and got a small display in the middle that my Sony TV reports as 640 x 480/30Hz on screen.

The "Wide" button on my Sony HDTV remote has a "Full 2" that fills the screen.

Going back to MyHD 1280 x 720 P my Sony reports on screen 720P HD 16:9 and the normal "Full" display mode.

The MyHD overlay on my desktop is VERY Jumpy.

The MyHD picture looks great. The only thing that is stopping me from using MyHD more is that I must switch the audio from HDMI output to speakers.

I got a good result for my $20.

SHF

EDIT : I got a USB Audio output dongle that I never tried. If I can find it that "might" solve the audio output switching need.

NO! it says "Stereo Active Speaker", my normal active is HDMI audio output.

Last edited by SFischer1; 04-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.

post #12724 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Dale and Nani, I dimly recall playing with some calibration tools from MIT that allowed one to fiddle with the timings of the analog output waveforms to center the image and other stuff. Perhaps using one of those would also enable using RGB for higher screen rez? But maybe its video chip isn't up to the necessary clock rates in RGB mode (since such screens were not common back then)?
post #12725 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Strange behavior, maybe can be spoken to:

1. Last 3 uses of MyHD timeshifting have resulted in system lockups. After installing my to-me-new (bought used) Gigabyte EP45 UD3R (3 PCI) Motherboard, things were pretty OK. Almost no lockups, didn't notice lip synch issues for the first maybe dozen uses (I always timeshift, basically). Now, I'm getting frequent lockups and frequent lip synch issues. Last night was virtually a deja vu experience such as I've never had with MyHD. I have the 130 with daughterboard, feeding my PJ at 1920 x 1080, the same native res as my 23" desktop monitor. I toggle the output with a simple switch.

Last night, about 8 hours into the recording, I suddenly had the thought that the night before I had a system lockup at seemingly the same situation (around 7-8 hours into the recording). I swear, within 10 seconds, probably less, I did a FF and/or REW using my remote and just like the night before... BAM!!! Black screen, no response to the system no matter what I do, nothing to do but turn off the machine or hit reset.

I have to think this isn't a coincidence, although obviously it could be. However, I had similar experience a few days before. 3 times almost the same behavior??? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, hey, I figured I'd post here and see if anybody has an idea. My thought is to defrag and/or run chkdsk /r on the 2TB HD in the XP machine's internal SATA HD. That HD was brand new when installed in the machine a few months ago and is nearly empty. I could also uninstall and reinstall MyHD. What do you think? Also, about the now-frequent lip synch issues that were nearly absent when I first set up the machine? Ya know, I am wondering if my problems might have something to do with my soundcard, a Hercules Game Theater XP, with it's now-very-old driver. I could remove that sound card and install a Santa Cruz PCI sound card from my other midtower or try the onboard audio and see if things change.

2. Once in a while the on screen info -- channel, time, etc. or time of the recording and position, time left -- suddenly and without warning looks really strange, as though it has a neon light behind it and it's pretty hard to read and is suffused with a strange very bright bluish light. This is correctable, to my knowledge, only be closing and reopening MyHD, which of course, means I have to find my place in the recording again. This happened when I had my former mobo as well, also a Gigabyte, but an older board. Is this a known issue with MyHD?

Last edited by Muse; 04-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #12726 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 06:14 PM

Muse, on #1 , my guess is also that it's HD-related, perhaps due to fragmentation. One way to fix that would be to put your TimeShift files on an SSD. Another approach would be to follow Nani's advice and change your TS habit by using in-progress recordings instead. I suspect that this would work better because I think that the issue is very likely related to the large number of very small files used by MyHD's TS implementation.

The second issue is due to a known bug that was somewhat fixed in the latest MyHD.exe, but IIRC it never got completely fixed because we didn't find a way to provoke the bug reliably enough to guide MIT to it.
post #12727 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks Terry. I "knew" that this would drive a regular monitor, but didn't remember RGB was required. Anyway, I know I tried both. I did leave it on YPbPr at first. When I first connected it, I noticed the little device I bought was slightly warm. After messing around quite a bit switching inputs on the TV and settings in MyHD, including YPbPr/RGB, I noticed was that the device was no longer warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Mine is working with RGB but I did not get good success until I lowered the MyHD down to 1280 x 720 P and disconnected the desktop connection from my graphics card. The desktop is 1920 x 1080.
I didn't try any other resolutions besides "native". I'll try that.

I have the computer's video card connected to a HDMI at 1920 x 1080 and that's working fine.
post #12728 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I have the computer's video card connected to a HDMI at 1920 x 1080 and that's working fine.
As is mine.

MyHD is a backup for Fusion which is my normal Timeshifting but sometimes it locks up on RF 12. I don't know why KNTV only but it is an older FUSION5 RF Gold.

MyHD is ready to step in should that happen during Football season. With the Raiders leaving will their games be still be shown so will there be any need?

SHF
post #12729 of 12742 Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Muse, on #1 , ... I think that the issue is very likely related to the large number of very small files used by MyHD's TS implementation.

With as many as five captures (Including MyHD) at the same time I moved the captures to a separate partition on the disk which has my system and the timeshifting to a separate partition on a second disk which has my install files and system backups. Captures are moved to my N.A.S so the capture partition is mainly empty.

Fusion deletes it's timeshifting files when you end timeshifting but MyHD does not. I cleared 160 files just now. When the file numbers got too high I had a problem.

Muse, what is the highest MyHD TS file number?

SHF
post #12730 of 12742 Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With as many as five captures (Including MyHD) at the same time I moved the captures to a separate partition on the disk which has my system and the timeshifting to a separate partition on a second disk which has my install files and system backups. Captures are moved to my N.A.S so the capture partition is mainly empty.

Fusion deletes it's timeshifting files when you end timeshifting but MyHD does not. I cleared 160 files just now. When the file numbers got too high I had a problem.

Muse, what is the highest MyHD TS file number?

SHF
Late reply, Muse is beset with uber multiple issues. It took me 15+ minutes just to get a network connection on this machine.

Well, the buffer was empty when I "just" fired up the machine (I emptied it after the latest lockup). However I can estimate: ?8*60*4 suggests (assuming I get 4 .tp files per minute), over 8 hours (the approximate length of this timeshift), the highest file number would be in the neighborhood of timeshift(1920).tp. Yes, that seems high, but I don't recall having issues with high numbers particularly, at least I never hypothesized that this was a cause.

I have some timeshifts that are far greater in size that didn't start locking up near 8 hours. Well, those were done with my previous mobo.
post #12731 of 12742 Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Late reply, Muse is beset with uber multiple issues. It took me 15+ minutes just to get a network connection on this machine.

Well, the buffer was empty when I "just" fired up the machine (I emptied it after the latest lockup). However I can estimate: ?8*60*4 suggests (assuming I get 4 .tp files per minute), over 8 hours (the approximate length of this timeshift), the highest file number would be in the neighborhood of timeshift(1920).tp. Yes, that seems high, but I don't recall having issues with high numbers particularly, at least I never hypothesized that this was a cause.

I have some timeshifts that are far greater in size that didn't start locking up near 8 hours. Well, those were done with my previous mobo.
That is very small filename number compared with what the number was when I saw a problem.

If you wish to reduce your time shifting problems then a separate disk and partition from your system disk would be a great improvement.

I had problems with MyHD and or Fusion time shifting until I moved the time shifting to a separate disk. The idea that a single 400 GB with a single partition is one that I never used and see many possible problems even though my system disk is a fast ATA 6.0 Gb/c SATA drive with the drive doing some of the decisions on the order disk writes and reads are done.

The time shifting drive is a slower ATA 3.0 Gb/c SATA drive and the drive is a very old dumb one. The drives are on separate controllers.

I am running W7 and the ASUS motherboard is a 2009 one with an Intel CPU.

Windows file system is a great one allowing more than 10,000 files in a folder and that I can do five captures plus Fusion doing time shifting (One additional read and write) all at the same time is marvelous.

SHF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lassen.png
Views:	5
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2082017  
post #12732 of 12742 Old 04-12-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have pretty much always had all my MyHD files (almost always timeshifting files) on a separate partition, usually a different HD than the OS.

On this WinXP machine right now, the OS is on an IDE HD, 120GB. The MyHD files are written to a Western Digital Red 2TB SATA internal HD. That 2TB HD is practically new and nearly empty, only 60GB is used at the moment.
post #12733 of 12742 Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Muse, on #1 , my guess is also that it's HD-related, perhaps due to fragmentation. One way to fix that would be to put your TimeShift files on an SSD. Another approach would be to follow Nani's advice and change your TS habit by using in-progress recordings instead. I suspect that this would work better because I think that the issue is very likely related to the large number of very small files used by MyHD's TS implementation.

The second issue is due to a known bug that was somewhat fixed in the latest MyHD.exe, but IIRC it never got completely fixed because we didn't find a way to provoke the bug reliably enough to guide MIT to it.
I don't understand. How can I change to "in progress recording?" Is this done in MyHD? Can I still basically "timeshift?" IOW, can I start viewing anywhere in the "middle" of a recording that's in progress? That's basically timeshifting, but the timeshifting option selected in MyHD's interface (I have full time selected) causes about 4 files to be generated/minute.

My MyHD.exe is dated 04/13/2007 (that would be 10 years ago, come tomorrow!). Is that the latest?
post #12734 of 12742 Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't understand. How can I change to "in progress recording?" Is this done in MyHD? Can I still basically "timeshift?" IOW, can I start viewing anywhere in the "middle" of a recording that's in progress? That's basically timeshifting, but the timeshifting option selected in MyHD's interface (I have full time selected) causes about 4 files to be generated/minute.

My MyHD.exe is dated 04/13/2007 (that would be 10 years ago, come tomorrow!). Is that the latest?
CW_EPG is the program for scheduling captures, which MyHD can do only one at a time. I will confirm that VLC Media Player will allow you to play those in progress captures, the HDHomeRun captures I do all the time and am actually doing that right now for the KTVU news at Ten. CW_EPG will schedule MyHD captures automatically or manually like I do lots of time.

Cliff Watson PVR app for HD Homerun, MyHD, and FusionHDTV

The file date for the MyHD program is 04/13/2007. The latest MyHD driver install program has a date of 06/10/2005 and it appears that MIT created the actual files ~ 03/10/2005.

> can I start viewing anywhere in the "middle" of a recording that's in progress?

YES. You would need to build up a list of "Matches" for programs that interest you. VLC Media Player does not allow you to play past the time when you started it but you can jump anywhere on the time line by just clicking. VLC Media Player can be closed and restarted to extend the time you can jump to.

VLC Media Player is FREE and you can try it on a MyHD capture that you can do right now or have saved. MyHD can do a capture or time shifting but not both at the same time. MyHD will cancel time shifting and start a capture with the right setting. Capture Reservation Detail Options " SetReservation Capture Priority High".

I suggested that you sign up for the listings ($25 /Year) and have offered to pay you the $25 in a year if you do not think it is a better way.

Play with the free VLC Media Player first.

http://www.videolan.org/

172,455,734 downloads so far!

SHF
post #12735 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I don't understand. How can I change to "in progress recording?" Is this done in MyHD? Can I still basically "timeshift?" IOW, can I start viewing anywhere in the "middle" of a recording that's in progress?
Adding clarification (I hope) to SHF's reply, you can use MyHD to view in-progress recordings being captured by other tuners (including other MyHD units) but you cannot use a single MyHD unit to simultaneously record and play a recording. When you play a recording that is in progress on another tuner, MyHD allows you to view any part of the recording that has been captured up to the current time. This is unlike any other playback device in my experience. The others can access only that part of the recording that was finished at the time that the playback began, so you need to restart the player periodically to access later parts of the recording.

Thus, if you use MyHD to play an in-progress recording being made by an HDHR tuner, for example, it will behave very similarly to what you are used to seeing with MyHD's built-in TimeShift mode.
post #12736 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Adding clarification (I hope) to SHF's reply, you can use MyHD to view in-progress recordings being captured by other tuners (including other MyHD units) but you cannot use a single MyHD unit to simultaneously record and play a recording. When you play a recording that is in progress on another tuner, MyHD allows you to view any part of the recording that has been captured up to the current time. This is unlike any other playback device in my experience. The others can access only that part of the recording that was finished at the time that the playback began, so you need to restart the player periodically to access later parts of the recording.

Thus, if you use MyHD to play an in-progress recording being made by an HDHR tuner, for example, it will behave very similarly to what you are used to seeing with MyHD's built-in TimeShift mode.
For those who have their only display being MyHD's one the latter is a crucial point Terry.

VLC Media player at some point did allow automatic playing after the file size at startup but that capability was lost when the authors started to scan the entire file. Often multiple times in secession when I do a jump with the trackball wheel. They said NO NO NO when that capability was suggested on the forum by me and at least one other person. They would not even consider a command to scan the now larger entire file.

Now off to confirm for myself that VLC media player can display a MyHD capture in progress.

Note to Muse: VLC media player has no problem with finished captures, it's normal usage except for in process news captures that might give a hint that an ICBM might be approaching the BLUE CUBE here in Sunnyvale, Russia's # 1 target during the cold war.

SHF
post #12737 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now off to confirm for myself that VLC media player can display a MyHD capture in progress.
Confirmed. First I had to make tons of posts elsewhere and then setup MyHD for a stream CW_EPG could schedule. With four HDHR tuners I never got around to setting up more than a minimum set, nothing like what I had before.

SHF
post #12738 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great to hear this, I think I'm pretty clear on what you are saying. I do indeed have an HDHR, but haven't installed it much less experimented with it. I'm optimistic! Don't know if I have to or want to use HDHR's playback software, as I understand it I can use MyHD to play it back. This is especially useful to me because I usually use my PJ and am 10 feet away from my keyboard, and don't want to have to go to the computer for anything if I can help it. I use the MyHD remote ( !!! ), actually my MX-700 universal, which has all the MyHD commands on it.

VLC, well, I've used it a few times, but I don't know how or if it's possible to run it with a romote control, much less with the level of control I want.

Especially if I continue to have issues with MyHD playback of timeshifting files I'll make the attempt to go to HDHR produced recordings and will likely most of the time view them in-progress using MyHD. I haven't gone this way already because I've been beset with a slew of issues. I have issues with all of my PCs at this time, this is 5 machines!

Last edited by Muse; Yesterday at 07:07 PM.
post #12739 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Note to Muse: VLC media player has no problem with finished captures, it's normal usage except for in process news captures that might give a hint that an ICBM might be approaching the BLUE CUBE here in Sunnyvale, Russia's # 1 target during the cold war.

SHF
Yes, well, it seems that the possibility of nuclear warheaded ICBMs will be flung to<-->from North America and Russia is increasing these days. I figure if it comes to that I'm toast here in Berkeley, likely a prime target, as well as Silicon Valley. I'm not shaking in my boots, heh heh. I figure it's better than dieing of radiation poisoning in Wyoming.
post #12740 of 12742 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great to hear this, I think I'm pretty clear on what you are saying. I do indeed have an HDHR, but haven't installed it much less experimented with it. I'm optimistic! Don't know if I have to or want to use HDHR's playback software, as I understand it I can use MyHD to play it back. This is especially useful to me because I usually use my PJ and am 10 feet away from my keyboard, and don't want to have to go to the computer for anything if I can help it. I use the MyHD remote ( !!! ), actually my MX-700 universal, which has all the MyHD commands on it, at least the ones I know how to use.

VLC, well, I've used it a few times, but I don't know how or if it's possible to run it with a romote control, much less with the level of control I want.
Keyboard, oh yah, that's what I use to turn my HTPC on, I just hit any key. Well the on screen keyboard gets a tiny bit of use but everything else is controlled by my wireless trackball. Real Keyboard rarely.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...trackball-m570

I scan through the VLC captures (Completed or in progress) with the wheel. Just put the curser on the timeline and use the wheel to move forward or backward. Actually too large a jump but I never have found an option to reduce the size.

Move the curser off the timeline and the volume can be controlled with the wheel. I have the Wheel setup when pressed to mute the sound or unmute the sound.

Windows Explorer is used for most operations like to drag files to the MyHD, Fusion or VLC Media Player Icon to start playback.

CW_EPG, again controlled with the Wireless Trackball, MyHD setup that I did a little also today with the Wireless Trackball.

Want to delete old files, just drag then to the Recycle Bin. W7's "Use check boxes to select items" is turned on. That may have appeared first in Vista.

I do on occasion use my remotes, Fusion Time Shifting which is better than MyHD jump.

If you have a HDHomeRun Tuner then CW_EPG will schedule captures and MyHD captures.

What listings are you using now?

SHF
post #12741 of 12742 Old Today, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"What listings are you using now?"

I use TitanTV for listings, period. I can and do schedule MyHD recordings right in TitanTV's schedule. I sometimes schedule recordings in the MyHD Control Panel's Capture tab.

Craig's app may not benefit me much since I rarely do weekly scheduling. Last year I had a program I scheduled but am not doing that now. Mostly my captures are one-time sports events, sometimes news broadcasts, the occasional PBS program (usually a one-off).

Interesting ideas about the trackball control. I do have a wireless mouse/keyboard I bought specifically for my PJ MyHD viewing some years ago, but I rarely used it and haven't used it in years. Partly because having that keyboard on my knees and having a surface for the laser mouse were just cumbersome.
post #12742 of 12742 Old Today, 10:40 AM

CW_EPG (Cliff Watson EPG, named in memory of him, not written by him) can also be used to schedule one-off captures although it really shines for capturing series (e.g., Masterpiece).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers