post #12781 of 12796 Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Many have suggested to me that I rip my CD collection to FLAC, but I haven't.
Do you have the Media Server app installed on your Synology? If so, made sure you have transcoding turned off. I have SMB (Server Message Block) set to small MTU because it used to cause problems. Have not updated the OS in a long time so it may work fine now.

Have a small Samsung Galaxy and iPad II with apps from Yamaha, Oppo and LG on them. The Yamaha, Oppo and LG are DLNA client devices and I use one of the tablets to control the Oppo UDP-203 or one of the LG BP540's to play FLAC files, no PC and monitor needed. The Yamaha CX-A5100 can be used as well however it does not work as good with my generated playlist.

The Synology Media Server app will generate several types of music playlist. I generate some of my own playlist using VUPlayer (free) and save them to the NAS drive in .m3u format.

Been recording videos from PBS, via satellite, for many years. I use WD 4TB HDD’s housed in Inateck USB 3.0 HDD enclosures to store these recordings. I just plug into the Synology USB port and tell the Media Server to index. The Inateck is very fast at file transfers and goes into standby when not used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 12796 Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Media Server appears to be installed and is "Open." Plex Media Server is evidently not installed. Opening Media Server I don't see where transcoding is.

Thanks for those tips, explanations. I have a Windows 10 tablet and several computers distributed throughout the house including my midtower MyHD box and 3 laptops, 2 of which are wifi connected. I have a Windows 10 smartphone as well.
post #12783 of 12796 Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I have a Windows 10 tablet....I have a Windows 10 smartphone as well.
Wow! Who'd've thunk you were such a MSFT fanboy?

post #12784 of 12796 Old 06-21-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Opening Media Server I don't see where transcoding is.
It is possible mine is different from yours. In the Media Server app (not the Media Indexing app) look under the DMA Compatibility tab.
post #12785 of 12796 Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
It is possible mine is different from yours. In the Media Server app (not the Media Indexing app) look under the DMA Compatibility tab.
I'm seeing that. It's odd. Apparently it's not enabled because there's an empty checkbox next to Enable audio transcoding. But if I attempt to turn it on (I know, you said have it off), it doesn't get selected and I'm automatically shuttled to the General Settings tab. Shrug. My Media Server app is running by default and auto-updates.
post #12786 of 12796 Old 06-21-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently it's not enabled because there's an empty checkbox next to Enable audio transcoding. But if I attempt to turn it on (I know, you said have it off), it doesn't get selected and I'm automatically shuttled to the General Settings tab. Shrug. My Media Server app is running by default and auto-updates.
Just a guess: You proably need some FLAC/APE and/or AAC and/or OGG AIFF files stored in the MUSIC folder for transcoding to work. These can be in subfolders of the MUSIC folder. IIRC, Media Server should have created music, video and photo folders on the root of your Volume 1. You have a lot of control of these (and other directories) with the Shared Folder app and File station. Don’t forget DMS Help .

Synology has a good forum, may want to search and post there for help.
post #12787 of 12796 Old 06-22-2017, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Just a guess: You proably need some FLAC/APE and/or AAC and/or OGG AIFF files stored in the MUSIC folder for transcoding to work. These can be in subfolders of the MUSIC folder. IIRC, Media Server should have created music, video and photo folders on the root of your Volume 1. You have a lot of control of these (and other directories) with the Shared Folder app and File station. Don’t forget DMS Help .

Synology has a good forum, may want to search and post there for help
I've been in their forums some, not a lot. My main problem with my Synology NAS is the occasional long delays. When I get them, it's like a plague of them and they are extremely aggravating. I'll request data from one of my machines, data that isn't being accessed by any of my other machines and my requesting app is often "Not responding." In other forums it was declared by a guy who seemed to be confident and knowledgeable that my network must not be properly setup/configured. I then posted in the Anandtech Forums Networking Forum trying to determine what might be wrong with my setup and still couldn't get to the bottom of the problem.

I'm thinking that Synology DMS is doing something strange. For one thing, on one or two occasions it lost some of my data even though it should have been saved already. I think it's caching somehow before permanently writing to disk files. I don't know how else to account for my freshly entered data disappearing. There may be some things I can do to change the behavior, some settings but I am completely unaware of where those might be in DMS. The NAS has a RAID1 setup and the interface has always said it was working fine.

Last edited by Muse; 06-22-2017 at 03:11 AM.
post #12788 of 12796 Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
My understanding is that DLNA refers to the server not to the files. But my thinking was that that statement may mean that the DVD player is not capable of accessing file shares either.
Bought a S3700. Installed first AllMediaServer and then UniversalMediaServer. Using AllMediaServer I tell it the files to make available, bring up the S3700 and it sees the AllMediaServer. When I click on the AllMediaServer button the S3700 says No Playable files.
Shut down AllMediaServer and bring up UniversalMediaServer. Tell it the files, actually folder, to make available. Bring S3700 back up and it sees UniversalMediaServer. I click on it and the folder shows up. Click on the folder and the files show up. Click on a file and the S3700 says file corrupt or unknown format. Taking the S3700 back.

Now I've been looking at the HiMedia Q10 Pro. And all the conversations are about Android this and that and and and then its all about Kodi, whatever in the hell (sorry) that's about. I just want an NMT. Do I even care about the discussion on Android and Kodi. Kodi???????????

What a nightmare but not giving up.
post #12789 of 12796 Old 06-24-2017, 05:23 PM

From Google: "Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as home on a small screen." I imagine that it's essentially the same as VLC, but maybe has clients for more platforms?

It's odd that the S3700 didn't like transport streams.... Before you take it back, how about running one of your tp/ts files through VideoReDo (or HDTVtoMPEG) to wrap it in a simple program (i.e., mpg) format and see if the player likes it better. Also, if your files are using .tp extension, try simply renaming one to a .ts extension and see if that changes the result.

P.S.: If the change in file extension works (as it does for the I-O Data player that Chris and I have experienced--see next post for his comment) I'm betting that you can alter either of those server apps to treat .tp identically with .ts as I had to do with the old I-O Data box.

Last edited by TPeterson; 06-24-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #12790 of 12796 Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post
Bought a S3700. Installed first AllMediaServer and then UniversalMediaServer. Using AllMediaServer I tell it the files to make available, bring up the S3700 and it sees the AllMediaServer. When I click on the AllMediaServer button the S3700 says No Playable files.
Shut down AllMediaServer and bring up UniversalMediaServer. Tell it the files, actually folder, to make available. Bring S3700 back up and it sees UniversalMediaServer. I click on it and the folder shows up. Click on the folder and the files show up. Click on a file and the S3700 says file corrupt or unknown format. Taking the S3700 back.

Now I've been looking at the HiMedia Q10 Pro. And all the conversations are about Android this and that and and and then its all about Kodi, whatever in the hell (sorry) that's about. I just want an NMT. Do I even care about the discussion on Android and Kodi. Kodi???????????

What a nightmare but not giving up.
AllenDB ....Don't know much about streaming stuff, but I'll pass on what I ran across once; I have an I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2 box that can receive streams from a FreeNAS, but I had to change all the extensions from .ts to .tp, or perhaps that was vice-versa... might have been .mpg, as TP mentions... been so long, I forgot.... just a thought

Chris C

Last edited by ccrider2; 06-24-2017 at 05:53 PM.
post #12791 of 12796 Old 06-24-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From Google: "Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as home on a small screen." I imagine that it's essentially the same as VLC, but maybe has clients for more platforms?

It's odd that the S3700 didn't like transport streams.... Before you take it back, how about running one of your tp/ts files through VideoReDo (or HDTVtoMPEG) to wrap it in a simple program (i.e., mpg) format and see if the player likes it better. Also, if your files are using .tp extension, try simply renaming one to a .ts extension and see if that changes the result.

P.S.: If the change in file extension works (as it does for the I-O Data player that Chris and I have experienced--see next post for his comment) I'm betting that you can alter either of those server apps to treat .tp identically with .ts as I had to do with the old I-O Data box.
I'll try changing one of the types from ts to tp and see what the S3700 does. Sorry about the kodi rant. I've near exhausted myself searching devices.
post #12792 of 12796 Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM

If they're already .ts, you'll probably not see any improvement, since that's the more widely used extension now.
post #12793 of 12796 Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Long weekend & not going to believe this. Out of desperation I finally started clicking on "Transcode" buttons and "No-transcode" buttons. Not sure of the sequence but all of a sudden The S3700 and UMS (Universal Media Server) started playing the .ts files, or at least one. I actually watched the entire program. Got so excited I installed UMS on the real video machine. I was doing all the testing on the main machine which has a couple of video files.

Things went no where with UMS on the video machine. I looked at the UMS log file which was quite voluminous. Among other things it kept saying the S3700 was an unrecognized renderer. Get on the UMS forums and saw instructions on defining a renderer, yikes. Back/on to the Himedia Q10 or Tvix-HD.
post #12794 of 12796 Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post
....all of a sudden The S3700 and UMS (Universal Media Server) started playing the .ts files....I installed UMS on the real video machine. I was doing all the testing on the main machine which has a couple of video files....the UMS log file...kept saying the S3700 was an unrecognized renderer....
IIUC, you didn't have to do any renderer definition on the main machine so what was different about your installation on the real video machine? Perhaps the S3700 was powered on in one case and not the other?
post #12795 of 12796 Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IIUC, you didn't have to do any renderer definition on the main machine so what was different about your installation on the real video machine? Perhaps the S3700 was powered on in one case and not the other?
I appreciate the help/suggestions but I took the S3700 back a couple of days ago and ordered the Himedia Q10 Pro. The DLNA thing was too much. If the Himedia doesn't work maybe I'll get the S3700 and try again.

As an aside I ran across the Tvix 7000. Did a search and up pops DigitalConnection having it. Real pricey but it said to call for real price. Guess who answered,,, Kei Clark. We chatted for awhile about the early 2000s, asked if she remembered some names and yes, she did. She said the website needs to be cleaned up because they do not have the box. She lives in the Virgin Is. Did she when you consulted her in the early days???

I'll update on the Himedia. Again thanks.
post #12796 of 12796 Old 06-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Back in the day, Kei was in L.A. (as were you, Allen, right?) but she's now in St. Croix after spending a few years on another U.S. island. (I won't say more in this public forum) TViX boxes always did the best job, but the usual race to the market bottom did the company in. Good luck with the Himedia thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page