Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me see if I have this straight....

The "ETA to be announced" is ONLY for the daughtercard???

USB... Wait til March....

If I'm only purchasing the MDP-130 by itself (Don't mind the serial), could that still happen SOON???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hdtvincr
Let me see if I have this straight....

The "ETA to be announced" is ONLY for the daughtercard???

USB... Wait til March....

If I'm only purchasing the MDP-130 by itself (Don't mind the serial), could that still happen SOON???

The ETA to be announced for the MDP-130 card will be SOONER than the ETA to be announced for the DVI daughtercard.
post #153 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Since this seems to be the most active thread on the mdp-xxx card...

Are there any conditions under which PSIP information (assuming it's in the correct format) can overload the card?

Specifically, our local PBS station has had PSIP for quite a while now, but I don't see it with the mdp-120, however, I get PSIP programming info for our ABC station.

The engineer for the PBS local said early on they had too much guide info (too many days worth), and many people had problems with receivers freezing and rebooting...he said they've fixed the problem...

Thoughts?
post #154 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Marc,

What software version are you using?
post #155 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just had a similar effect of an overloaded PSIP on Sunday with a local CBS station here. I got a Blue Screen in Windows XP once I was locked on to the station and tried to change channels to get out. This happened several times until I luckily switched fast enough before it could lock. Their signal was breaking up pretty bad too.

Turned out they had a leaking waveguide from ice damage which caused water to intermittantly break up the signal being received to the transmitter. This may have occured at the same time they updated there PSIP data and maybe I just need to rescan once they patch the waveguide. I will ask their engineer. Just thought I'd mention it. I'm using the latest Beta 2 stuff & MDP-120/DVI.
post #156 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Marc,

What software version are you using?

Man, what a brain f**t--I'm normally good about giving all that detail stuff up front...

I've got program version 1.64U, and drivers = 1.64 also...

I received further confirmation from the chief engineer for PBS in N. Carolina (WUNC TV) that the PSIP stream is good specifically from xmitter WUNJ, which is our local PBS (they have about 5 ways of monitoring the actual transmissions of all their various stations...). For what that's worth anyway...

Thanks Cliff...

BTW, I've rescanned many times, and have very strong signal strength, 90+
post #157 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Marc,

I'm waiting on feed back for the work we are doing on a PBS station. If the feed back is good I'll let you try the software.
post #158 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Marc,

I'm waiting on feed back for the work we are doing on a PBS station. If the feed back is good I'll let you try the software.

Ah.......so there may be an issue then?

Thanks--looking forward to it...
post #159 of 12503 Old 02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MarcS
Ah.......so there may be an issue then?

Thanks--looking forward to it...

There have been many issues with stations trying to get PSIP going. Some of the station problems have been taken care of by MIT.
post #160 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

If it's relevant, let me add that our local PBS has 5 subchannels--1, 3, 4, 5 are active during the day, then at 8pm 4 and 5 go off air, 2 comes on in HD, 1 and 3 still active...

I wonder if there's an issue with receiving so much guide info for one main channel with so many sub channels?
post #161 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by MarcS
If it's relevant, let me add that our local PBS has 5 subchannels--1, 3, 4, 5 are active during the day, then at 8pm 4 and 5 go off air, 2 comes on in HD, 1 and 3 still active...

I wonder if there's an issue with receiving so much guide info for one main channel with so many sub channels?

Marc, the San Francisco PBS has a similar split schedule with 5 SD subs in the daytime and 1 HD + 1 SD at night. MyHD hasn't balked on their signal for some time now but it does continue to get confused occasionally about which sub is which (presumably following some PSIP configuration change at the station). In short, I think the MyHD app is now set up to handle all the PSIP data that such stations spew but interpreting it always in the way the station engineers intended is another matter.
post #162 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

But isn't there a "standard" for PSIP that has been adopted?

Assuming (hah!) that all PSIP adheres to that standard, why would any software have a problem decoding it?

Or are there so many gray areas within the standard that enough variations exist to cause EPG problems?

And why would I pick up as the lone entry--"SIGNOFF"--but nothing else? If that works, why don't I see the other programming info??

Ah, the mysteries...
post #163 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"Assuming (hah!) that all PSIP adheres to that standard..."

"To sleep...perchance, to dream...ay, there's the rub!"
post #164 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Marc,

Yes there is a "standard" for PSIP, BUT few station engineers understand it enough to make it work properly. Most just buy a PSIP generator (computer) and use whatever has been programmed by the manufacturer. There are also many different layers of PSIP and anything above basic cost more money.

Until Feb. 1st, 2005 the FCC did not require PSIP and most stations are having a hard time meeting the deadline.

EPG Guide data is only a part of PSIP and the station must pay extra for a guide service OR manually type in the program data.

All 7 of my local channels now have PSIP working, BUT only 2 have real Guide data for program content. The others simply use a "place marker" for the EPG with something like "DTV Program".
post #165 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

"Dammit Jim! I'm only a doctor!" ........

Yep Cliff, I've heard that from the local engineers also, tough to decipher all that PSIP stuff... and receivers seem to be so sensitive to "abnormalities" in the bit stream...

Today our NBC station got PSIP working with programming info--so now we've got ABC and NBC. I may still hear back re: PBS...

But hey!! My mdp-120 works perfectly otherwise!!
post #166 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep Cliff, I've heard that from the local engineers also, tough to decipher all that PSIP stuff... and receivers seem to be so sensitive to "abnormalities" in the bit stream...

Absolutely! The PSIP support in MyHD was programmed based on the published standard. Meaning that EPG data fields adhere to the number of bytes indicated in the standard. Some PSIP generators don't count 0 as a byte and end up with a field size that is one byte bigger that what is supported by the standard.

This is exactly what we found recently with a PBS channel and was fixed in MyHD software by increasing the supported field size.
post #167 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 AM

What is the difference between the MD120 Daughter card and the MD130 Daughter card?

I am assuming you can not use the the 120 daughter card with the 130.

After trying to figure out how to use the 120 with Comcast. cable, I was losing hope in MIT. I suspect I can have renewed hope that the MyHD will become usefull with the 130.

It would still be nice to have the MyHD software accept input from the Firewire port which is connected to my Moto 6200 box.

Thanks,
Patrick
post #168 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Already been answered... you cannot use them. The pins are in a different location or something. As for the firewire question... see earlier in this thread I believe.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #169 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I suspect I can have renewed hope that the MyHD will become usefull with the 130.

You may want to clarify the difference between un/encrypted data. MDP-130 may not be much more useful thanthe MDP-120 in some markets. Don't expect anywhere near the same functionality as your cable box.
post #170 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"What is the difference between the MD120 Daughter card and the MD130 Daughter card?"

Each dau card is designed to properly "fit" the main card. Other than that...no difference.

"After trying to figure out how to use the 120 with Comcast. cable, I was losing hope in MIT. I suspect I can have renewed hope that the MyHD will become usefull with the 130."

Many people find the MDP-120 very usefull for its designed purpose including OTA HDTV and analog cable. We also understand it was not designed for Digital Cable.

"It would still be nice to have the MyHD software accept input from the Firewire port which is connected to my Moto 6200 box."

Forget about it! I will not "hack" this product. There are other software hacks you can use to capture fireware from a cable box. If the hacked software supports file sharing you can use MyHD for timeshifting while the recording is being made.
post #171 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Cliff, to be fair... we're not talking about a hack here. This is in the clear firewire, not 5c protected stuff. And agan, I think it can be made to work. It's not hacked software, its simply a different tape driver .

post #172 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by madpoet
Cliff, to be fair... we're not talking about a hack here. This is in the clear firewire, not 5c protected stuff. And agan, I think it can be made to work. It's not hacked software, its simply a different tape driver .

When Microsoft provides a "different tape driver" that will interface with a digital cable box firewire port it may be something to consider. Until then forget about it cause I'm not taking MyHD in that direction.

End of discussion!
post #173 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

From you perhaps. If I get it to work, I will explain how. It's hardly complicated, and is nothing MIT needs to worry about supporting. I don't quite understand why you are so opposed to the idea.

post #174 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 PM

I deeply apologize in advance if this forum is the wrong place for me to ask my questions and voice my concerns about my MDP-120 and the MYHD softare. I looked at other forums on AVSForum and this seemed to be the closest to that subject and have the most people in the know about MyHD in general. If there is another forum that I should post this in, someone please let me know.

I have been using my MDP-120 and the MyHD software for a few weeks now, and I think I am getting the hang of it. I have successfully recorded and played back a few programs with no problem until last night. Last night I Recorded an hour long show and when I played it back, I found that the sound was slightly out of sync with the video by about a second or. This continued through the first three files but disappeared by the time the fourth file was playing. Has anyone seen this problem before, have any suggestions as to what might be the cause, or any suggestions how to resolve the problem?

I am also curious if anyone else has a problem with the fact that there is no video while fast forwarding or rewinding through a file. I am used to my Tivo and my Scientific Atlanta DVR (supplied through Cablevision) both of which show a series of still frames during fast forwarding and rewinding so that one knows where one is in a given program.

I have one other question: Is there anyway to change the default file naming when setting up a recording schedule? I find that for each recording I set up, I have to select how I want both the file and the sub folder to be named (I like the sub folder to have the name of the program,and the file to have the channel, date and time).

Many thanks,
David
post #175 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

You really should use the massive MyHD 120 thread for this.

-MP

post #176 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From you perhaps. If I get it to work, I will explain how. It's hardly complicated, and is nothing MIT needs to worry about supporting. I don't quite understand why you are so opposed to the idea.

More power to you IF you can get it to work.

I'm opposed to spending MIT's resources for a cable box hack when far more work needs to be done on the designed functions that benefits the majority of MyHD owners.

I'm not opposed to integrating 3rd party software into MyHD, IF IT WORKS.
post #177 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Cliff - since you are hinting at a few strategic direction for the MyHD card line I wanted to ask you something which I personally am very interested in seeing.

Are you considering developing drivers that would make the MyHD cards work with MCE 2005 (for OTA HD only) ?

I understand that the BDA drivers don't work for hardware decoders, but I was wondering if it was possible to write a BDA driver for MyHD that will temporarily disable the hardware decoders (when used under MCE only, not permanently, of course). That way people who are not using MCE can still continue to use the MyHD app, but people wanting to use the MyHD with MCE will have an option to do so.

If this is something that is absolutely not going to happen, then I have a second question -- will MIT be developing an app that works like a full fledged PVR **with** an EPG (like MCE, SageTV, BeyondTV etc.) ?

I rarely watch live TV --- I am a total PVR addict ... and looking around, it seems this trend is really catching on. So I was interested in knowing if MyHD will one day be usable from a full feldged PVR type application (with an integrated EPG, not TitanTV).
post #178 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:

You really should use the massive MyHD 120 thread for this.
-MP

When I perform a search for MyHD 120, I only get a handful of responses. Can you help me find the maind thread for this?

Many thanks.
David
post #179 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dbunin
When I perform a search for MyHD 120, I only get a handful of responses. Can you help me find the maind thread for this?

Many thanks.
David

Use this one. You may even need to upgrade your software to the version posted.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=477633
post #180 of 12503 Old 02-03-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you considering developing drivers that would make the MyHD cards work with MCE 2005 (for OTA HD only) ?

No! That would be a dumb thing for MIT to do and even dumber for a person to pay $320 (w/DVI card) for functionally that can be had for $150 in MCE2005.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page