ATI HDTV Wonder- alternative software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 353 Old 02-20-2005, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to everyone. I've been a frequent visitor to the site and now have a contribution for ATI HDTV Wonder users. In light of some of the recent issues with ATI's own software, I decided to write my own program to play live HDTV.(This is all individual, no connection with any business, just my own self) The program works only with ATI's HDTV Wonder. The program is very simple and just plays HDTV, no recording, etc. I am making this program free to use(for the moment, but I don't have any plans for anything different). It is very straightforward and easy to use. Please read the README first for instructions and some other stuff. A remote wonder plug-in is also included. I use it regularly due to issues with ATI's own program and hopefully others may find it useful. I also plan on posting this at rage3d.com as well.

Updated 3/1/05- New Version 1.3 with subchannel support, a signal strength meter, and some minor fixes, including one that may help VMR issues. Subchannels- if you currently have no channel problems, keep subchs at -1. If you have problems, try 1. Other subch. are 2, 3, ... however many you want. Remote doesn't work for subch, so you can change the channel to first subch, then change channel up. Signal strength- It has a +-3%, so it isn't super precise. So it will go from 85 to 88%, nothing in between. So if you get 72%, it could be close to 69%.
If you have no problems with current version and don't need additions, then you don't need to change, but stability, etc. should remain the same since the changes/additions were subtle.
Enjoy!

Update-3/17/05
Version 1.35- Works with newest ATI DVD decoders released 3/9/05. I believe it will also work with previous ATI DVD decoders, but will no longer work with ATI DTV decoders. So V 1.3 is for ATIDTV decoders, V 1.35 is for ATIDVD decoders. I will include both versions in WatchHTDV V1.35 zip.

UPDATE 5/2/05
Version 1.5- Minor fixes/improvements/additions. Should work with MCE now. Either ATI DTV or DVD decoders will work. Please read the README first for new information and setup.

UPDATE 5/30/05
Version 1.6- Added support for Avermedia AVerTVHD A180 and DVICO FusionHDTV. Fixed Remote Wonder power button problem when video window in focus.
For AVerTVHD A180, decoders used will be chosen based on merit and compatibility. Decoders chosen may not work 100% correctly though, so you may have to uninstall or change the merit of decoders. For MCE, this may not be as much of an issue as with XP.
For FusionHDTV, all versions should hopefully work, as I have only tested with FusionHDTV 2. The program uses the FusionHDTV DXVA decoders.
I will leave both version 1.5 and 1.6 up for the time being. Version 1.5 is ATI HDTV Wonder only.

UPDATE 6/19/05
The Fusion5 series will likely work with version 1.6. I've had some reports of success with it. Try it and let me know.

UPDATE- 10/10/05
Version 1.8 is out. See here- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590020

WatchHDTV.net- FREE HDTV tuning software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 353 Old 02-20-2005, 06:16 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Is there any way to make this work with decoders other than Cyberlink's? If your little app could use the Nvidia or, even better, the Dscaler decoders, you might have created something spectacular ;). No matter what, though, thanks for making it.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #3 of 353 Old 02-20-2005, 10:58 PM

This is a great program.

The following is the list for channel setup in St. Louis.

26 11
31 30
35 5
39 9
43 2
47 47
56 4

This is a small program and highly recommend (at least by me).

No recording and no sub-channels. But for general play some of the features are hard to match.

Switching between 16:9 and 4:3 on stations while they are broadcasting SD programming has never been as easy.

The only problem I have seen with the program is you must setup the "channels.txt" correctly. Read what is asked for and remove all text except for the channels to be used. If there are "//" comments left in the file the program will crash.

This is a must download for anyone who is using the ATI HDTV WONDER card.
Also, if you want to start the MMC/TV+ program you must do so before you run WatchHDTV. And yes they both can work at the same time.

Very nice....

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by hdtval21
Hello to everyone. I've been a frequent visitor to the site and now have a contribution for ATI HDTV Wonder users. In light of some of the recent issues with ATI's own software, I decided to write my own program to play live HDTV.(This is all individual, no connection with any business, just my own self) The program works only with ATI's HDTV Wonder. The program is very simple and just plays HDTV, no recording, etc. I am making this program free to use(for the moment, but I don't have any plans for anything different). It is very straightforward and easy to use. Please read the README first for instructions and some other stuff. A remote wonder plug-in is also included. I use it regularly due to issues with ATI's own program and hopefully others may find it useful. I also plan on posting this at rage3d.com as well.

Mods- If you have any problems with this post or need to contact me, go ahead and email or pm me. I have no problems with changing anything if necessary.

Now I'm off to watch the NBA All-Star game, go #8!!!
post #4 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 05:56 AM

I just tried WatchHDTV. Very nice. Good job!

My observations -

I tried in to see if the CPU usage would be reduced on 1080i programs. Unfortunately it was not. It only dropped about 2-3% below what MMC was doing. I cannot believe that 720p only requires 10-20% CPU while 1080i requires 50-60% CPU. Must be ATI driver or decoder issues.

Jitter in the video was virtually eliminated.

Synchronization of sound with video is better, but still not perfect on 1080i. The sound is ahead of the picture. At the end of sentences, the sound stops, but the lips are still moving.

Jeff
post #5 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 AM

Thanks hdtval21 !!!!!!! I'm gonna give this program a whirl, can't wait.......

EDIT - ok I'm pretty sure I've set up the channels properly for Detroit. I'm getting 2 errors when I try to launch the program:

1) COULDNT CONNECT PINS
2) CANT CONNECT VIDEO TO VMR

Any help appreciated.
post #6 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 04:20 PM

I'm getting the same two errors.

I unzipped the file to a folder on my desktop and edited channels.txt.

In the first column I put the broadcast frequency and the second column I put the channel label. Is this correct?

Does anything have to be done with the plug-in?
post #7 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jswclw
I just tried WatchHDTV. Very nice. Good job!
I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I try to load it but it won't run.

Is it perhaps because my list of TV channels is wrong? The author says, "First column is the actual physical(rf) channel number, and the second column is the actual analog channel number."

antennaweb.org lists digital channels with channel (eg., 57.1) and frequency (eg., 32). Which is the RF and which is the analog?

Thanks.
post #8 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 05:00 PM

It helps to be able to read!

Removing the comment lines in channels.txt did the trick.

Incidentally, the lineup for Northern Burlington County, NJ is:

64 6
32 57
54 17
34 34
43 43
26 3
42 29
67 10
42 29

Frequency is first; channel num is second.
post #9 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad some of you liked it. Here's some help.

jswclw- I've noticed some slight out-of-sync stuff as well, but on my end it doesn't seem to happen all the time. It seems inconsistent when it happens, and it seems some channels are better than others. CPU usage- your 1080i seems too high. Most work being done is decoders, so that's why cpu usage is so close to ATI's app. What CPU speed and video card do you have? I'm running a P4 2.6 with 9500 pro, and mine is mostly always below 30% for both 1080i and 720p. Either your CPU or video card may be too slow and are the cause. I know I've read others with similar issues and it seems there isn't a big consensus on the causes.

qweqaz5 & laredogolfer48- the errors are caused by some problem with your VMRs. Easiest suggestion I can give is to load up graphedit(you can get it free from MS or other sites) and check the VMRs in there. Under the directshow filters, there will(should) be two instances named Video renderer. One is old, and the other is VMR7. You can load both and one will say VMR7. It may be the first instance. If you don't have VMR7 (but you probably should) then something is wrong with your installation of the quartz.dll file. This can get installed with Windows Media Player, so you can try updating WMP or installing WMP9 again if you have that version. Also, I found this out on my own system as well that other programs may mess up the VMR's. I had installed some trials of powerdvd and windvd and they messed with the way I could call the VMR's in my program. After uninstalling all stuff like that, and maybe doing some more fixing! I got my VMR's back in order. Oh what fun!! If you want to use the remote, you can just import(you don't have to copy it anywhere) the plug-in in the remote wonder software. The buttons to use on the remote are in the readme.

If anyone needs any more help, just post away!

post #10 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 PM

I've tried reinstalling Windows Media Player 10 but I think my VMRs are still messed up. How did you fix yours?

This problem probably has something to do with the very high CPU usage(~90% for both 720p & 1080i content) over the last week or so. Prior to that, CPU usage with DTV never peaked above 50%.
post #11 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 09:31 PM

Using graphedit I found two video renders, but neither one was labeled VMR7. I tried to run the graph the filters using graphedit, but I couldn't access properties of Microsoft ATSC Network Provider. Error message popped up saying requested property page could not be displayed.
post #12 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 10:42 PM

I took that as a typo but I could be wrong.
VRM9 works just fine for building the graph.
I posted pictures of the graph on Rage3D, I am grog over there.

Rage3D - ATI HDTV Wonder- alternative software thread
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33805080

GraphEdit Tips and Tricks
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33792569

I have several examples in the graphedit thread including adding ones for HDTV DTV. It should help if you are following the readme.txt file and want to see the graph as well.

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by laredogolfer48
Using graphedit I found two video renders, but neither one was labeled VMR7. I tried to run the graph the filters using graphedit, but I couldn't access properties of Microsoft ATSC Network Provider. Error message popped up saying requested property page could not be displayed.
post #13 of 353 Old 02-21-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

laredogolfer48- the property page error means you need to do something that I can't remember at the moment. Something like regsvr something. Try searching here or on google and you should be able to find it. One site said the whole dx9 sdk needed to be installed, but I don't think that is needed, although it probably would work and it wouldn't really hurt, but it is a large download. I'm fairly certain it's something simple to do.

qweqaz5- Do you have an ATI video card or nvidia? I think some people may have had issues with wmp10 and some of ati's drivers. The high cpu usage should be an indication something's not right.

Subchannels? If enough people want them, I don't think it would be too much of a problem to implement, I just never did because I didn't use them that much. I know some stations use secondary or other subch. for HD or other stuff, so I know some of you may be out with some channels you actually want.

post #14 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I've noticed some slight out-of-sync stuff as well, but on my end it doesn't seem to happen all the time. It seems inconsistent when it happens, and it seems some channels are better than others. CPU usage- your 1080i seems too high. Most work being done is decoders, so that's why cpu usage is so close to ATI's app. What CPU speed and video card do you have? I'm running a P4 2.6 with 9500 pro, and mine is mostly always below 30% for both 1080i and 720p. Either your CPU or video card may be too slow and are the cause. I know I've read others with similar issues and it seems there isn't a big consensus on the causes.
I am running a P4 2.8 overclocked to about 3.2, 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9600 128MB. Clearly something is not right in my installation. There is a huge difference for me between 720p and 1080i CPU usage - more than double for 1080i. 720p runs in the low 20s. 1080i in the 50-60 range. Is that normal for there to be such a huge difference?

I guess I need to look at the driver and decoder level. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeff
post #15 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eschamp
Removing the comment lines in channels.txt did the trick.
Hmmm, it's not working again!

It loads and shows Ch 10 as the CHANNEL. If I click on the 10, a pop-up shows the other available channels but any attempt to select a different one or use any of th e"CH" buttons causes the program to terminate.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
post #16 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, your CPU usage appears normal to me. I have a similar system. Decoding 1080i 'video' does require more processing than decoding 720p.
post #17 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Subchannels? If enough people want them, I don't think it would be too much of a problem to implement.
If you have the time and inclination to make sub-channels work, I would certainly appreciate it.
Sesame Street is on a sub-channel and I'd love for my kids to be able to watch it.

And thanks for making your program available. As poorly as ATI's software has worked for me, it is great to have another option.

R J C
post #18 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 08:49 AM

I have the ATI 9800XT along with Omega Catalyst 5.1. Funny thing is the high CPU usage problem only started recently; as you mentioned, maybe some software installation during that time period messed up my VMRs.

I figure fixing it won't be an easy task? I'm waiting for MMC 9.06 before I do a fresh install of XP Professional.

My system specs:
Athlon XP 2.4Ghz
1GB DDR RAM
ATI 9800XT
Audigy 2
post #19 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 02:49 PM

[quote]Originally posted by hdtval21
[b]laredogolfer48- the property page error means you need to do something that I can't remember at the moment. Something like regsvr something. Try searching here or on google and you should be able to find it. One site said the whole dx9 sdk needed to be installed, but I don't think that is needed, although it probably would work and it wouldn't really hurt, but it is a large download. I'm fairly certain it's something simple to do.

Thanks for your help!

I had a problem finding which version of DirectX SDK had the GraphEdit application, there were multiple updates. Found it on Microsoft web site. It was DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2003) version. Downloaded it and GraphEdit now allows property access to the tuner.

I was able to watch hdtv using your filter configuration in GraphEdit, but still couldn't get WatchHDTV to work. Still getting pin error.

Interesting Observation: I have one HDTV channel that mostly has sound and no picture using ATI software. It's a 1080i format. If I go to it from another channel that has 1080i format, the picture comes in for about five minutes and then goes off again. This channel has the same problem in GraphEdit (sound w/no picture) but I can't switch to it from another channel.

Any suggestions?
post #20 of 353 Old 02-22-2005, 02:53 PM

I looked further into the problem using the GraphEdit tool than I saw mentioned else where. That tool shows all the codecs involved in rendering a particular file. So I recorded some 1080i programming to a vcr file and looked into it. Turns out that some nero video decoder was getting the job of decoding the video stream.

Strikes me that it should be an ATI decoder in order to get the ATI graphics card to do the work. Right? So I unregistered the offending nero codec and now a Cyberlink decoder is doing the job. There are ATI decoders, but how far do I go with this thing?

Any ideas? Should it be the "ATI MPEG Video Decoder" that does the decoding? Do I keep unregistering decoders until it puts the ATI one to work?

I'm betting that if the ATI decoder is put into action that the CPU usage will drop based on the video card doing more work.

Jeff
post #21 of 353 Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Mods- If you have any problems with this post or need to contact me, go ahead and email or pm me. I have no problems with changing anything if necessary.

Now I'm off to watch the NBA All-Star game, go #8!!!
"YOU DA MAN"

Nothing like a simple, down and dirty solution sometimes. The entire program under 100k (.exe and .dll combined).... In the age of bloatware ad infinitum, it's definitely a nice change.

My comments:

1) Program works *very* well - no stuttering, no audio loss, etc.

2) Picture quality, for whatever reason, is significantly *better* than that under MMC 9.03.

3) If this application had sub-channel support, it would be the perfect "quick" app.

Thanks for providing it!

Gary
post #22 of 353 Old 02-23-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

qweqaz5- I think there are problems with WMP10 and some of ATI's drivers. I'm running cat4.12's and haven't had any problems in a while. Over at rage3d it seems not too many people have liked 5.1 or 5.2. You could try going back to WMP9. Also in an anandtech article about wmv-hd and stuff they mentioned that there was some problem with either wmp9 or 10 and ati's drivers, and I'm not sure if what they were describing relates to your issue.

jswclw- only your video card is slower than mine, and barely, so I don't think the cpu usage should be that different. It seems there are quite a few that do have such differences though, like GaryHDTV, but I don't know if I would call it "normal". Maybe not optimal, but I read plenty of people that don't get such differences. I guess it can vary greatly based on different systems and software installed, etc. When using graphedit, if you don't connect all the pins yourself it will pick filters based on certain criteria. If the nero codec was being used it was because nero (most likely) made their codec have a higher priority than others, so it gets picked(that's why there are so many problems with codecs and other related dx because in my opinion too many programs try to do to much or "takeover" a system). You may need to register it again if you use nero or else you'll have problems. VCR files actually use different filters and I think ATI MPEG Video Decoder is one of them, but if you look there are a few filters with ATI VCR listed. ATI's program and mine use the Cyberlink ATI DTV decoders, so they should be used properly. I guess if your only issue is higer cpu usage, you could consider yourself lucky!

eschamp- so does the program quit just when you are on ch10 and try another ch? Does it work fine with all other chs? Does ch10 happen to be the last(highest) ch you have? Make sure in channels.txt you don't hit enter after the last channel(the last line) otherwise there will be a problem.

laredgolfer- sorry you're still having problems. Since you can get a graph to work, then I think you may have other software like dvd players that may have mixed things up a bit. I think I can probably change something in the program and it should work. It is probably similar to the issue I had when after installing some trial dvd players, they messed some stuff up and I had to change the program a little bit. I changed it back though after the problem went away, so I may have to change it back to get it working on yours. Hopefully it won't mess up with others than. You could try uninstalling any trials or other programs that you don't use anymore that have to deal with video. Did you check signal strength on the channels you have problems with? It may also be subchannels issues.

subchannels- I think I may have to add them because they may be causing problems for some. I had problems last night with KTLA(the WB), so I may have to change it for myself. I've read others who say some stations have problems with implementing subchannels and that's why some channels may not come in or don't work properly all the time. I've had problems with my FusionHDTV and ABC(L.A.) where I would change the channel to ABC but instead of the first subch being shown I would get the 2nd or 3rd, and only when I selected the subch 1 would it change. Who doesn't want to watch doppler 7000 all day!?!? And since it's for the "kids"(rjcress), I guess I can do it. I may try for this weekend.

post #23 of 353 Old 02-23-2005, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Before I try this out, a few questions:

First a statement: I hate ATI's software, but love this HDTV wonder when it works. The picture on my projection system is incredible. Thanks for making an easier-to-use, and (from what I'm reading here) better option.

1) Do I even NEED to install everything that came with the HDTV wonder? I only want to use the TV and DTV fuctions of ATI's stuff. So do I just need TV installed, or Both (from HDTV wonder software)

2) Is there an option to make the window dissapear? (like in ATI's F3 hides window and controls)

3) Can you make the mouse dissaper if NOT in fullscreen mode?

Thanks again! Can't wait to try this out!
~Joe

iPad 2 is the coolest thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azkg-Bj6GVs
post #24 of 353 Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Microsoft DirectX Downloads
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...st/directx.asp

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (February 2005)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update - (February 2005) Release Notes

DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (February 2005) Extras
This one contains GraphEdit and samples for DirectShow.

GraphEdit Property Page Issue

For any who are having issues with the newer DXDSK showing property pages with GraphEdit you must register the proppage.dll first.

Find the proppage.dll and register it.

regsvr32 \\dxsdk_feb2005_extras\\extras\\Extras\\DirectShow\\Utilitie s\\proppage.dll

Now the graph property pages should work fine.

Greg
post #25 of 353 Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 PM

I will try to answer.

1.) MMC should not be required. Only the HDTV drivers and ATI drivers if an ATI card is used. I think the DVD codec is also required but not sure on this one.

2.) The window is frame-less. The the thumbnail below.

Click on thumbnail for full view
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/1945/watchhdtv4tg.th.jpg

3.) The mouse will auto-hide when placed over the viewing area. Very nice touch.

You can also double click on the "left button" on the viewing window to toggle full screen and windowed. You can
You can also double click on the "right button" to hide the small control panel or bring it back into focus.

Like I said before, this is a must have tool for anyone using the HDTV WONDER card.

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Przybylski
Before I try this out, a few questions:

First a statement: I hate ATI's software, but love this HDTV wonder when it works. The picture on my projection system is incredible. Thanks for making an easier-to-use, and (from what I'm reading here) better option.

1) Do I even NEED to install everything that came with the HDTV wonder? I only want to use the TV and DTV fuctions of ATI's stuff. So do I just need TV installed, or Both (from HDTV wonder software)

2) Is there an option to make the window dissapear? (like in ATI's F3 hides window and controls)

3) Can you make the mouse dissaper if NOT in fullscreen mode?

Thanks again! Can't wait to try this out!
~Joe
post #26 of 353 Old 02-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Quote:
eschamp- so does the program quit just when you are on ch10 and try another ch? Does it work fine with all other chs? Does ch10 happen to be the last(highest) ch you have? Make sure in channels.txt you don't hit enter after the last channel(the last line) otherwise there will be a problem.
No. It never displays the broadcast on Ch 10.

No. It doesn't work at all.

No, Ch 10 is not the highest.

There's no EOF at the end of the line.

I just edited the channel.txt so that it contains just one line, the four characters 2, 6, space and 3.

When I start WatchHDTV, it displays "0" in the window that shows the current channel. Whn I click on the 0, a pop-up shows "3" but when I try to change to 3, WatchHDTV closes itself!

Hmmm...I just tried it again and, now, I doubleclick on WatchHDTV to open it, but it only stays opne for about a second and then it closes without any error message.

????
post #27 of 353 Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 AM

I captured the errors in Dr. Watson. Here's a summary:

Application exception occurred:
App: C:\\Program Files\\WatchHDTV\\WatchHDTV.exe (pid=13212)
When: 2/24/2005 @ 11:55:30.792
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\USER32.dll -
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\MFC42.DLL - WARNING: Stack unwind information not available. Following frames may be wrong.
ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child
0012fc00 77d43a09 77d443b5 0040a95c 00000000 *SharedUserSystemCall+0xc (FPO: [0,0,0])
0012fc28 73dd11a7 0040a95c 00000000 00000000 USER32+0x3a09
0040a95c 0000000f 00000000 00000000 099a7396 MFC42!Ordinal5307+0x13

Lots of the above, all relating to "ChildEBP RetAddr Args to Child"

Does this make any sense to anyone?
post #28 of 353 Old 02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Since most of the work is already there, is there any chance that you could build in some sort of signal strength meter with a lot of resolution (well, more than MCE, anyway), and an audio tone that increases in pitch as the signal strength increases? It would be a huge help with regards to antenna aiming. :)

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #29 of 353 Old 02-24-2005, 10:59 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I have to ask this again ;), since it is still unclear to me:

Is it possible to use this little app with a decoder other than Cyberlink's?

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #30 of 353 Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Joe Przybylski-
1. For my program to work, you really only need to install drivers and decoders. I suggest installing the DTV app anyway so you check signal strength on channels, change brightness, contrast, etc., and if the DTV app works, then my program should be all right. This program only does the DTV side, so if you want analog stations, you'll still need ATI's TV app. The dvd decoders don't need to be installed, but they get installed anyways. I think a lot of HDTV Wonder users have no idea that there are two decoders installed, DVD and DTV. DTV ones are required for ATI's app and mine. DVD ones are used for ATI's dvd app and whatever other apps may need them, but DTV ones are used just for DTV. As I stated before, that was the initial problem I had getting mine to work because only the dvd ones were installing.
2. Like grogs stated, you can hide the main control window, but the video window can't be hidden. You can minimize just like any other app, but no hiding. I can't think of a real good reason to do so, so if you have a reason let me know because it wouldn't be difficult to do, although kind of dangerous because it could get a lttle confusing if you can't tell where the video window is.
3. Same as grogs, the mouse automatically hides when it is over the video window, fullscreen or not. Otherwise, the mouse stays visible to use at all times.

eschamp- Try deleting the config.txt file, and then run again to see what happens. When you first run the app, the ch will be set to the lowest ch in channels.txt, and the last channel you're on is saved to config.txt. You can also try other channels. It may have to do with subchannel issues, so try channels with no subs. Sorry you're having problems, keep updating me, and I'll try think of anything else.

Shape- I haven't looked into the signal strength stuff too much, but I could try. Don't count on it though.

VBB- As of now, ATI's are required. I could make it work with others, but that could open up other issues. I also don't have many decoders on my system as I try to keep it as lean as possible. I'm not sure I would want to get into the "decoder" game. Sorry.

Hey grogs, thanks for trying to help out and for recommending it to others. I appreciate you liking it, and hopefully it's relieved some stress in dealing with some of the "pains" from ATI.

Come to think of it, I know why they didn't mind the blackout thingy bug every 5 mins, because the're from canada, and all they have is hockey, and since hockey screwed up this year, they didn't need to worry about missing a game-winning goal. I think I could scream loud enough for ATI to hear me if I missed a game-winner by #8!!! (If anyone from ATI reads this, don't take it too seriously, I'm just kidding! sort-of.)

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page