ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 162 Old 04-13-2005, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
errm apparently I have to say yes to using the guide...

and all that after a few days of hacking around with the country selected as Canada... apparently MS doesn't know Canada has DTV too. I had to select USA just to get the thing to admit I had a DTV card.

Regards,
Lex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 04-14-2005, 04:23 PM

I'm sure I'll be dealing with that myself shortly. I'm waiting on my HDTV Wonder coming in the mail. Living in Canada, trying to get a feel for what will happen with Canadian channels in the guide, which US Zip code to use, etc.

Let me know how it works out.

fish

"someone dropped a steamer in the gene-pool, now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception it's the rule" - fat mike
post #93 of 162 Old 04-16-2005, 09:49 PM

is it possible to have two hdtv wonders in mce, if so how do you configure it too work? Or am i better off using 2 different types of hdtv cards under mce. if so what other card should i use???
post #94 of 162 Old 04-21-2005, 05:42 AM

I followed the Kram procedures to get my HDTV wonder working without an analog tuner, and didn't have any trouble. After reading a bit, I took the plunge and upgraded to the latest Catalyst 5.4 drivers and CCC. The immediate benefit was that I have access to new resolutions (including 1280x720) without using powerstrip. The upgrade went fine, and MCE still is happy with the HD tuner. It appears that once MCE is fooled with the "kram fix" there isn't any dependency, and we can continue to upgrade.

I just thought others debating this and needing some of the other fixes might be reassured.....
post #95 of 162 Old 04-21-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by hansol89
is it possible to have two hdtv wonders in mce, if so how do you configure it too work? Or am i better off using 2 different types of hdtv cards under mce. if so what other card should i use???

I do not remember reading any reports of folks using two HDTv Wonders in one WMCE box.

However, there are quite a few reports of folks getting various combinations of the ATI HDTV Wonder, the Avermedia AverTVHD, and the FusionHDTV working together in WMCE in two HD tuner setups.

It is quite doable.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #96 of 162 Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Zyll
I followed the Kram procedures to get my HDTV wonder working without an analog tuner, and didn't have any trouble. After reading a bit, I took the plunge and upgraded to the latest Catalyst 5.4 drivers and CCC. The immediate benefit was that I have access to new resolutions (including 1280x720) without using powerstrip. The upgrade went fine, and MCE still is happy with the HD tuner. It appears that once MCE is fooled with the "kram fix" there isn't any dependency, and we can continue to upgrade.

I just thought others debating this and needing some of the other fixes might be reassured.....

When you use the Kram drivers, can you confirm other reports of the poor picture quality of standard definition programs from analogue tuner part of the HDTV Wonder?

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #97 of 162 Old 04-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekFunk
When you use the Kram drivers, can you confirm other reports of the poor picture quality of standard definition programs from analogue tuner part of the HDTV Wonder?

Sorry, I never even tried the analog tuner.... don't even have an antenna connected.
post #98 of 162 Old 04-22-2005, 06:17 PM

Question about the DTV application in ATI HDTV Wonder's Multimedia center in an MCE based machine.

MCE with ati hdtv wonder and ati tv elite and winfast pvr2000, everything works except the ati dtv application. MCE finds all the hdtv channels, works fine. But the dtv application in ati's multimedia center won't show channels - it finds all of them and when first tuned to them the channels display for a second then a black screen. So, the antenna's fine, mce's tv application works fine for all types of tv signal including using the hdtv wonder's signal, but the ati application DTV won't keep displaying a locked signal for more than a second. Anyone know if both mce tv and ati dtv have ever worked in the same machine?
post #99 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by swoo
So, should the ATI 9600 All in Wonder be sufficient for this purpose? I'm unsure as to whether it has hardware encoding..

Thanks..

Although not officially supported in WMCE 2005, there are reports that the ATI 9600 AIW does work in WMCE if you use the Kram drivers.

To the best of my knowledge, the analogue tuner in the AIW is a software MPEG encoder.

post #100 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've edited the first post in this thread to confirm that an ATI HDTV Wonder and an AverTVHD MCE A180 does work well in WMCE 2005.

I've recorded two HD programs without any issues.

post #101 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Thanks GeekFunk for pointing me to the A180 deal ! Unfortunately it seems to have expired by now.

Anyway, I have a Fusion3 and the ATI card working parallely in my MCE2005 machine now. Seems to work fine and I can record two OTA HD shows at the same time.

Only issue I encountered was that MCE2005 seems to have a hard limit of TOTAL 3 tuners in the system. Before adding the Fusion3 into the system, I had the ATI card and a PVR500MCE (dual tuner). After throwing the Fusion3 into the mix, I was not able to setup TV signal or Digital TV signal ... the MCE shell would just hang at these screens.

So I replaced the PVR500MCDE with a single PVR250 and everything worked like a breeze.

So earlier I had one HD tuner and TWO SD tuners ... now I have TWO HD tuners and ONE SD tuner.

If anyone knows of a wayt to remove this apparent hard limit of TOTAL 3 tuners in MCE2005, I would like to know please.
post #102 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hello,

After several days of reading this section knowing now that without a very complicated install, a analog tuner is needed before installing the ATI HDTV Wonder card. Would a USB out of the case tuner suffice for the install I am not a computer person and COMP USA will do the install and since I will never use the analog side why pay for the analog install. I know the COMP USA tech wont do the no tuner hack. If so what USB tuner do you recommend?

Thanks for your reply,

rmlowz
post #103 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by rmlowz
Hello,

After several days of reading this section knowing now that without a very complicated install, a analog tuner is needed before installing the ATI HDTV Wonder card. Would a USB out of the case tuner suffice for the install I am not a computer person and COMP USA will do the install and since I will never use the analog side why pay for the analog install. I know the COMP USA tech wont do the no tuner hack. If so what USB tuner do you recommend?

Thanks for your reply,

rmlowz

I'm sorry Lowz. I intended to be clear in the first post to this thread so that installing the ATI HDTV Wonder would not be too complicated. I guess I failed with some folks.

To answer you, yes, you can use an external USB analogue TV tuner for purposes of installing the ATI HDTV Wonder. Specifically, a USB tuner like Hauppauge's WinTV USB2 is such a external USB tuner.

Note well that the external USB analogue tuner, regardless of brand, must be one that performs hardware MPEG encoding.

The technique that works for folks like you who do not want or need the analogue tuner is too use the USB tuner until you have setup the channels in Windows MCE 2005. Then, you can remove the USB tuner.

post #104 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

[quote]Originally posted by psxjunky
Thanks GeekFunk for pointing me to the A180 deal ! Unfortunately it seems to have expired by now.[quote]

It seems that folks are jumping all over HD tuners. The ATI HDTV Wonder is in extreme short supply as well; out of stock at ATI's online store.

After my poorly handled purchase at Buy.com, I took delivery of two AverTVHD units on the same day, one from Buy.com and one from Newegg. I've arranged to a RMA with Newegg, but they haven't emailed me return instuctions yet. It's still in the FedEX box unopened. One person wanted to buy it, but never followed through.

Quote:

Anyway, I have a Fusion3 and the ATI card working parallely in my MCE2005 machine now. Seems to work fine and I can record two OTA HD shows at the same time.

Only issue I encountered was that MCE2005 seems to have a hard limit of TOTAL 3 tuners in the system. Before adding the Fusion3 into the system, I had the ATI card and a PVR500MCE (dual tuner). After throwing the Fusion3 into the mix, I was not able to setup TV signal or Digital TV signal ... the MCE shell would just hang at these screens.

So I replaced the PVR500MCDE with a single PVR250 and everything worked like a breeze.

So earlier I had one HD tuner and TWO SD tuners ... now I have TWO HD tuners and ONE SD tuner.

If anyone knows of a wayt to remove this apparent hard limit of TOTAL 3 tuners in MCE2005, I would like to know please.

My limitations were in available PCI slots on my motherboard.

I have 5 PCI slots, but two are practically unusable because in PCI slot 4 only PCI devices that do not require Interrupt steering can be used (no sharing of IRQs) and PCI slot 1 is blocked by an Artic Cooling VGA Silencer heat sink and fan attached to my Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card.

In PCI slot 4, I had no choice but to put a 1394 port addin PCI card there; my motherboard did not come with builtin 1394 controller chipset. I needed the 1394/Firewire/iLink ports because I connect my miniDV camcorders through them. It seems to work OK. Even then, it's sharing an IRQ with two other devices.

I wanted to quiet down the Radeon 9800 Pro, so the Artic Cooling Silencer was one of my few choices. It's a shame because the PCI slot 1 on motherboard was one of those rare free slots that could easily handle a high performance device like an HD tuner card.

If things didn't work out and I got non-performing cards because of an IRQ problem, my last resort was to remove the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250MCE. It's a pretty nice, full featured card with FM radio (used in WMCE).

One note: I put the AverTVHD in a plain Windows XP box. Naturally, the Tv tuner didn't work. However, I could get video in Windows Movie Maker via composite and svideo on the AverTVHD. It might be that an independent TV application could work, like Sage I guess. But, I don't have any interest in trying that.

post #105 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks GeekFunk,

I am sure that you did a great job in your post to all the others that understand computers well. I am still on the learning curve and I appreciate your reply. Now I am on the hunt for a USB tuner that has mpeg encoding.

Thanks again,

rmlowz
post #106 of 162 Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmlowz
Now I am on the hunt for a USB tuner that has mpeg encoding.

This one should work great for you
post #107 of 162 Old 04-24-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:

My limitations were in available PCI slots on my motherboard.

I have 5 PCI slots, but two are practically unusable because in PCI slot 4 only PCI devices that do not require Interrupt steering can be used (no sharing of IRQs) and PCI slot 1 is blocked by an Artic Cooling VGA Silencer heat sink and fan attached to my Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card.

In PCI slot 4, I had no choice but to put a 1394 port addin PCI card there; my motherboard did not come with builtin 1394 controller chipset. I needed the 1394/Firewire/iLink ports because I connect my miniDV camcorders through them. It seems to work OK. Even then, it's sharing an IRQ with two other devices.

I wanted to quiet down the Radeon 9800 Pro, so the Artic Cooling Silencer was one of my few choices. It's a shame because the PCI slot 1 on motherboard was one of those rare free slots that could easily handle a high performance device like an HD tuner card.

If things didn't work out and I got non-performing cards because of an IRQ problem, my last resort was to remove the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250MCE. It's a pretty nice, full featured card with FM radio (used in WMCE).

One note: I put the AverTVHD in a plain Windows XP box. Naturally, the Tv tuner didn't work. However, I could get video in Windows Movie Maker via composite and svideo on the AverTVHD. It might be that an independent TV application could work, like Sage I guess. But, I don't have any interest in trying that.

GeekFunk,

What was your experience make 2 hdtv tuners work in MCE? Any pitfall or gotchas to take note of? I'm leaning toward the same configuration but would like to know more about your experience. Thanks!
post #108 of 162 Old 04-24-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I put the AverTVHD into a WMCE box containing a ATI HDTV Wonder and an Hauppauge WinTV 250MCE, and it installed without any issues at all.

I went into WMCE channels setup again. Once that was done, I could record two HD programs simultaneously right off.

post #109 of 162 Old 04-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I put the AverTVHD into a WMCE box containing a ATI HDTV Wonder and an Hauppauge WinTV 250MCE, and it installed without any issues at all.

I went into WMCE channels setup again. Once that was done, I could record two HD programs simultaneously right off.

That sounds rather simple! Did you have to install drivers first & then the card? Or the other way around? I know you're not using the Kram drivers, but would
be good to know any potential conflicts.
How about the quality of the new card versus the ati?

Thanx.
post #110 of 162 Old 04-25-2005, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

There is no driver CD that comes with the AverTVHD, which is an OEM product. You must download the drivers from the Avermedia website.

On this occassion, I downloaded the drivers, and extracted the driver files to a directory. Then, I physically installed the AverTVHD in the PCI slot first, and then on boot up directed the Windows driver installer to the proper directory.

Next, I went into WMCE and ran the TV channels setup again.

FYI, Avermedia has three pdf's on installing the dirvers and setting up the TV channels.

There is no other software for this card that would allow you to watch hd tv. The only software for watching TV is WMCE 2005.

As for PQ, you can't tell when the ATI HDTV Wonder or AverTVHD is being used for viewing or recording. Both are working because I can record two programs simultaneously.

post #111 of 162 Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 PM

I see you're also contributing in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...readid=501155.
Thanks again for the info.
post #112 of 162 Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok I setup mine useing these directions and it ran GREAT! However today it stopped working because the NVIDIA DVD Decoder / Codec expired.

I wanted to buy it but NVIDA says their store will be closed for a month so I can't buy it.

Can I use the ATI DVD software which came with the ATI HD Wonder card?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #113 of 162 Old 04-30-2005, 07:41 PM

Hi all. I just purchased the ATI HDTV Wonder tonight for use in my MCE05 box and have a problem. I have Dish network so I input the s-video out of Dish receiver into s-video input on the ATI TV Wonder Elite card. This works fine using the IR blaster to change channels on the sat receiver. I followed all the instructions in the beginning of this thread for installing the HDTV card including a clean install of mce and it is detected in device manager as it should be. The problem is that I get no option to set up digital channels in MCE. I go through the whole process of setting up the Dish network channels through the Elite just fine but cannot find an option to configure digital channels for the HDTV card. PLease help. Thanks.

Bill
post #114 of 162 Old 05-02-2005, 01:33 PM

I've posted a new version of WatchHDTV here-
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=511835

It should work with MCE now.
Thanks.

WatchHDTV.net- FREE HDTV tuning software
post #115 of 162 Old 05-02-2005, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Ok I setup mine useing these directions and it ran GREAT! However today it stopped working because the NVIDIA DVD Decoder / Codec expired.

I wanted to buy it but NVIDA says their store will be closed for a month so I can't buy it.

Can I use the ATI DVD software which came with the ATI HD Wonder card?

Any ideas or suggestions?

No, there is no DVD decoder software on the CD that comes with the HDTV Wonder.

Other than Nvidia's DVD decoder, you might try PowerDVD or WinDVD. One or the other usually comes with a new DVD drive.

post #116 of 162 Old 05-02-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by zmn668
Hi all. I just purchased the ATI HDTV Wonder tonight for use in my MCE05 box and have a problem. I have Dish network so I input the s-video out of Dish receiver into s-video input on the ATI TV Wonder Elite card. This works fine using the IR blaster to change channels on the sat receiver. I followed all the instructions in the beginning of this thread for installing the HDTV card including a clean install of mce and it is detected in device manager as it should be. The problem is that I get no option to set up digital channels in MCE. I go through the whole process of setting up the Dish network channels through the Elite just fine but cannot find an option to configure digital channels for the HDTV card. PLease help. Thanks.

Bill

I don't know why that would be unless the WMCE doesn't see the digital tuner. Normally, after you install the ATI HDTv Wonder, you go into setting up the channels all over again as you did for the analog tuner.

I know that, in the step by step guide, I recommended that you install both the analog tuner and the HDTV Wonder in individual steps, and, afterwards, go into WMCE to do the channels setup.

However, I have went ahead and setup up analog channels before installing the HdTV Wonder without any issues.

However, it appears that you have to go through the entire channel setup again after the HdTV Wonder is installed. The WMCE setup wizard will tell you that it found a analogue tuner and a digital tuner soon after the process begins. It will say, also, that it will setup the analogue channels first.

Right after the new TV guide is downloaded, a screen will appear for starting the digital channel setup.

If the channel setup wizard fails to find the digital tuner, then it probably means that the HDTV Wonder did not install properly.

I hope this helps.

post #117 of 162 Old 05-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the response. I have it working perfectly. Did not realize I needed to reboot once more time and then MCE recognized it just fine.

Bill
post #118 of 162 Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 PM

I have an HDTV Wonder and 9700 Pro.

I have tried both installation instructions

1. With analog tuner using the Hauppauge USB 2.0 Win TV as the analog tuner

2. And the Second Set of Instructions using the KRAM for an HDTV Wonder only installation.

I have also update with every single Windows Update item.

Neither once has worked for me. I check device manager and everything is fine then when i go to run media center to setup TV it tells me NO TV Tuner detected. Can someone Help. Much appreciated...

Oh i am also using the Nvidia Encdoer. The analog tuner works with its own proprietary software but media center refuses to pick it up.
post #119 of 162 Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by conman06
I have an HDTV Wonder and 9700 Pro.

I have tried both installation instructions

1. With analog tuner using the Hauppauge USB 2.0 Win TV as the analog tuner

2. And the Second Set of Instructions using the KRAM for an HDTV Wonder only installation.

I have also update with every single Windows Update item.

Neither once has worked for me. I check device manager and everything is fine then when i go to run media center to setup TV it tells me NO TV Tuner detected. Can someone Help. Much appreciated...

Oh i am also using the Nvidia Encdoer. The analog tuner works with its own proprietary software but media center refuses to pick it up.

It might help if we knew the other parts of your system. It's difficult to make suggestions otherwise. So, we're working pretty much in the dark here, with limited info.

Did you ever get the WinTV USB2 tuner working alone? See if it will work in WMCE. In other words, after you've installed the unit and drivers, go ahead into WMCE and try to setup the standard analogue channels.

Report back the results.

post #120 of 162 Old 05-17-2005, 06:59 AM

Sorry i should have been more clear

Machine. AMD XP 2800, RAM 1.5 GIG, ATI 9700 PRO, 3 200GIG Drivers ATA, PCI, Modem, PCI Firewire Card

I did the install and did all of MCE 2005 and then did all the updates. I then created a GHOST Image so i can revert back to the Clean MCE Install with all Windows Updates including HDTV rollup. I then tried the two diffrent install instrucitons one with and one without the analogn tuner both failed. So the fourth time i did:

After re-ghosting I first installed the USB2 tuner then the drivers. I only did this becuase the instructions said to do so. I then launched MCE 2005 and got the cannot detect tuner. I wanted to make sure the USB2 tuner was working so after MCE telling me on three diffrent installs that did not detect a tuner i tried the Hauppauge SOft PVR software install and that made the analog tuner work right away.

Any suggestions.. and thanks for trying to help...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page