HOW-TO: Calibrating Display to Match HTPC Output - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 486 Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Can this be done for other outputs as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 486 Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My setup is fairly simple: htpc -> Receiver (set to pass thru) -> tv

If I calibrate using a combination of my video card drivers and my display, how do you account for different softwares? I watch tv and DVDs through 7MC and Blu-ray through TMT3.

I calibrated using the basic settings MP4 in Windows media player. It looks the same in TMT3, but it's not a Blu-ray file, right? Do I need to calibrate again with something specifically for Blu-ray?
post #483 of 486 Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am having a pink hue problem and am using the HD 5670 with catalyst 10.12. I read to change the color temp but the option is not showing up for me anywhere in settings. How do i fix this?
post #484 of 486 Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 View Post

My setup is fairly simple: htpc -> Receiver (set to pass thru) -> tv

If I calibrate using a combination of my video card drivers and my display, how do you account for different softwares? I watch tv and DVDs through 7MC and Blu-ray through TMT3.

I calibrated using the basic settings MP4 in Windows media player. It looks the same in TMT3, but it's not a Blu-ray file, right? Do I need to calibrate again with something specifically for Blu-ray?

I would calibrate with a Blu-ray calibration disk, and be done with it. I guess some are willing to change settings depending on the source. Once calibrated, I may be willing to adjust the backlight as room lighting dictates, but that's about it.
post #485 of 486 Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post

I am having a pink hue problem and am using the HD 5670 with catalyst 10.12. I read to change the color temp but the option is not showing up for me anywhere in settings. How do i fix this?

Unless a consumer has had their display professionally calibrated, and even then, rarely will said consumer need to make adjustments on their HTPC. Except for early units, correctly installed HTPC's have been among the most accurate video sources available. OTOH, displays? Not so much.

Whether the consumer has an HTPC or not, (professional calibration aside) setting the color is quite simple:

1) Put up a gray scale pattern, and pick either the Neutral or Warm color temperature, whichever has less color.

2) Turn the contrast down to see if the color goes away. If it does, turn it down just far enough to get rid of the color.

3) Follow your calibration disk instructions to set color and hue with the blue filter.

Absent calibration equipment and/or a professional calibration, that's all the majority of consumers can do and/or need to do. Setting the color in the user menu has nothing to do with HTPC's...it's done at the display. I can't speak for Linux and Macs, but I have never even found any correctable differences in color or hue in the gamut of codecs I have run through Windows Media Center.

If anyone has a problem with their HTPC not being accurate, it will be a color space/levels issue. Once that is corrected, the HTPC should be spot on.
post #486 of 486 Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
What disc or programs you guys using these days. ??

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page