CAV6.6 / MC11 link software - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 987 Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Note that "Playing Now" in MC is not necessarily sorted by sequence number. However, by definition, the tracks play in sequence number order. So +/- will jump to the next (or previous) sequence number with a different artist to the current one.

Note also that playlist selection (ie after holding down STOP) does not loop. However a playlist playing in "Playing Now" will loop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 987 Old 05-26-2006, 10:15 AM

Hyslopc,

Please check your PM. I sent you a PM a few days ago that still shows as unread.

As for the looping feature, I was suggesting a that looping of the playlist names in playlist selection mode would be useful.

I have also verify the shuffle enable/disable feature works as advertised in the newest release.

Sean
post #273 of 987 Old 06-07-2006, 07:41 PM

Hyslopc -

Hope things are going well. CAV66 has been running incredibly reliably for me, so I haven't been following the thread much.

I have 2 items I wanted to bring up:

1 - Have you had any time to consider adding the "custom source name" option to display a name for the source for a couple seconds when switched to? You asked me to remind you about this.

2 - I've been considering getting a little more sophisticated with my home automation, for example controlling my entire audio system (plus other things) through a PC-based system, possibly CQC or something similar.

I'm not looking to replace my Russound keypads with this, but I want a more full featured PC-based controller to go along with them.

The problem is that, ideally, I would want to control the Russound via the RS-232 interface to change sources for different zones, set volume levels, etc...

My idea is - is it possible to provide some kind of interface so that CAV66 could be controlled by another software package? I don't know how much work this would be, but I thought I'd throw the idea out...
post #274 of 987 Old 06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boulanger View Post

Hyslopc -

My idea is - is it possible to provide some kind of interface so that CAV66 could be controlled by another software package? I don't know how much work this would be, but I thought I'd throw the idea out...

Already a CQC driver for the CAV66. It's in the free 30 day trial download, no extra charge.

------------------------------------
I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #275 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haven't had a look at the custom source name thing yet, but thanks for reminding me.

It would be possible to split the code into a DLL that handles the device communication and an EXE that handles the actual logic of updating the keypads. This would make it possible, but it would rely on other developers using my DLL. So we could get caught in a catch 22.

I tell you what - if you find a developer who is seriously interested in using such a DLL, then I will write the DLL in co-operation with that developer.
post #276 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 AM

IVB - how does CQC control the CAV66? Via serial, correct?

I think you misunderstand me - I want CQC to be able to control the software that Hyslopc wrote (CAV66.EXE).
post #277 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mike - what sort of options would that open up? Sounds interesting.
post #278 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boulanger View Post

IVB - how does CQC control the CAV66? Via serial, correct?

Yep.
Quote:

I think you misunderstand me - I want CQC to be able to control the software that Hyslopc wrote (CAV66.EXE).

Ok, I did misunderstand you. Same question as hyslopc - what options would that open up?

I'm on 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #279 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 12:44 PM

Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, so please set me right if I'm wrong.

I currently use a Russound CAV6.6 with keypads to control my audio system from each room.

I'd like to slowly migrate towards a more sophisticated home automation system, encompassing HVAC, alarm, wholehouse audio, etc.

Instead of immediately ditching the keypads in each room, I would like to have 2 or 3 full tablets running CQC located in heavy use areas (say the kitchen and bedroom) that would allow full house control. I would like to keep the keypads in each room for quick/easy audio control in each room.

Normally, CQC would interface and control the Russound via serial port. However, in my case, I run a PC/JRiver connected to the Russound via the serial port and your CAV66.EXE software to dump data back and forth from my keypads.

In my case, the serial port is tied up, and I have no way for CQC to control my Russound.

If there was some kind of interface to control CAV66.EXE, couldn't CQC send it commands, which CAV66.EXE would then pass on to the Russound?
post #280 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 12:51 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Ah, your inherent desire is to have 2 "controllers" for the russound. Very interesting problem, I can see many folks desiring this if they've already spent the $$ on the keypads, and the time learning how to make them work.

Hmmm. I need to stew on this.

I'm on 

post #281 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I can see many folks desiring this if they've already spent the $$ on the keypads, and the time learning how to make them work.

Not so much the time and money for me. It didn't take me much time at all to set them up, and I'm sure I can resell them and get 80% of my cash back.

It's more the fact that they work, and they work 100%, and I wouldn't want to rush into another more complicated system that I'd definitely be tweaking for months and in the meantime lose my stable keypad functionality.

There are also areas of my house that I may never want anything but those keypads. For example my deck, my master bathroom, my dining room. In those areas I want very simple controls for audio only, and I see myself probably sticking with the Russound keypads even if CQC works out perfectly for me.
post #282 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Hyslopc -

I can't seem to find a way to stop JRMC from creating their 'recently played' playlists, and a moderator on their forum doesn't seem to think they have any reason to implement an option to stop their creation. To be honest they do nothing but get in my way when choosing my playlist through the Russound keypad.

This might be asking too much, but would there be an easy way for you to implement a function to IGNORE those playlists??
post #283 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

This may be a moot point - just found out the CQC CAV driver is getting upgraded in a few weeks(ish) to allow you to send messages to the keypad. If you want more details, let's move this to the CQC forum to respect the intent of this thread.

I'm on 

post #284 of 987 Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I could add a setting to ignore playlist names that start with a number - would that be enough?
post #285 of 987 Old 06-09-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:

I could add a setting to ignore playlist names that start with a number - would that be enough?

That would be fine with me!
post #286 of 987 Old 06-09-2006, 06:55 AM

Hello hyslopc,
I use your tool since weeks and it is great.
But I am missing one feature at leased once every day :-)

I also have a zone in my bedroom and it would be great to set a sleep timer (automatic turn of after 30/60/90/120 minutes).

Are you able to implement something like this because the Russound itself don't have this and I also think nearly everyone with a zone in the bedroom would like this feature (other users please comment!)

Regards
Michael
post #287 of 987 Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good suggestion - shouldn't be too hard to implement. Would you like it to just turn off suddenly, or should the volume slowly fade? For example, I could set it up so that if you set SleepTime=30 (ie minutes), and you then set the volume to 30, then the volume would decrease by 2 (the minimum interval) every 2 minutes. So after 2 minute the volume would be 28, after 4 minutes the volume would be 26, etc. Finally after 30 minutes the volume would be 0 and at this point we would turn the zone off. Let me know what you think - I should have time to do some work over the weekend, so I could have a look at this and the custom source names.
post #288 of 987 Old 06-09-2006, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In fact if you like the volume fade idea, maybe a better way to set this up would be to say AutoVolDown=X, where X is the number of minutes to click the volume down by 2. So if you set AutoVolDown to 1, the volume would be decreased (by 2) every minute. If you set it to 5 then it would be decreased every 5 minutes.
post #289 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 02:16 AM

respect !
fast responds and ultra fast time frame for implementation !

I didn't thought about fade down before and like it in general.
but I see in my case some problems with your examples.
from the past I know that I normally start with volume around 10 and will need 20-40 minutes to sleep :-)
So the start volume is already low and I think the first half of that time you still listen to the radio/music so a early fade down can bother.

What do you think about this:

- volume is 10 for example
- then you select sleeptimer=30 volume
(selectable from 0=off in steps of 10)
- stays for 50% or 66% of the time at the start volume (I would prefer 66%)
- then us the last 50% or 33% to fade down to volume=0 (mean switch off)

this would fit better to my sleeping algorithm :-))

Michael
post #290 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah good point. I basically never put the music on when I'm going to sleep, but I bet if I ever did I would want it to work like that. I was just starting on this so you replied in the nick of time! How about two settings:

AutoFadeStart=20 ; Start fading after 20 minutes
AutoFadePeriod=10 ; Fade over a 10 minute period

So this would mean that there is no fade for 20 minutes, then over the next 10 minutes it would fade to 0 (linearly). This gives you quite a lot of flexibility. Should the fade timer reset every time you use the keypad, or just be measured from when you power the zone on?
post #291 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New version 1.34 is available for download here. This implements the AutoFadeStart/Period settings as well as a new setting [Setup]\\ShowNumericPlaylists, which defaults to N.

I had a look at the custom source name thing, and I then remembered why I haven't done it earlier - it's surprisingly complicated. Today, we never display text on only one zone, we always display text on all zones connected to a given source. Then we would have to keep track of whether we're currently in "display source name" mode, or regular mode, add a timer to automatically leave "display source name" mode, etc. It's probably a full day's work and unfortunately I don't have that much time left this weekend - sorry about that.
post #292 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 10:59 AM

great, fast implementation. I think I can life with that implementation (I will test the next nights...)
When I request it I thought about select it from the Keypad but I think a static selection at each zone can also work.

After a fast test I found out that it work.
But a volume change do not stop the fade down if it was already started.
I think this should be. and I think it is even better if just any user activity (+,-,source change,..)should restart the hole feature (restart with AutoFadeStart timer)

And if possible a short message in the display after power up should not the user that this feature is running. And also the same message again every time after the timer restarts.
post #293 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree with everything you wrote, but maybe you underestimate the difficulty of some of this stuff . Note that only volume *up* presses are supposed to reset the timer. Is that what you tested?
post #294 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 PM

No I know what work it can be.
I only describe how it can be but I also happy like it is if the timer restart work also.
Yes I did test with Volume up. My test was with 1 Minute for both timers and the system was already in the fade down phase. then I pressed Volume up (the volume went up) but went down again after some seconds. Can it be that you only implement a restart to the beginning of the fade down phase and not to the first timer (without fade) ?
post #295 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes you're right - there were multiple problems with the fading in that version. I've fixed those problems, and also changed it so that if we haven't started fading yet, then any change in volume will reset the timer. If we have started fading, then only a volume up press will reset the timer.

You can download the new version 1.34/1 from here.
post #296 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I had a look at the custom source name thing, and I then remembered why I haven't done it earlier - it's surprisingly complicated. Today, we never display text on only one zone, we always display text on all zones connected to a given source. Then we would have to keep track of whether we're currently in "display source name" mode, or regular mode, add a timer to automatically leave "display source name" mode, etc. It's probably a full day's work and unfortunately I don't have that much time left this weekend - sorry about that.

Hyslopc -

How about something like this.

For each source, you define a SOURCENAME= if you want. If that variable is defined in the INI file, the source name is displayed with the track name.

So, say I was playing Tom Petty - Free Falling, and the source name was 'ROCK'. The keypad would display:

(ROCK) Tom Petty - Free Falling or something similar. So, the source name would display constantly with the track title.

Maybe have it in parentheses like above so it stands out from the track title.

Would that make sense?
post #297 of 987 Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That would be easy to implement, but note that there is unfortunately a hardware limit on the number of characters we can display (32 chars with current firmware). So for long-ish artist and/or track names, every character in the source name would be a character removed from the title/artist.
post #298 of 987 Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 AM

the first night with AutoFade went well. This morning the zone was out :-))

Regarding display of the source name:
What about set the sourcename in the .ini file and display it with the Date and time (flashing cycle of source/date/time every x seconds) or display instead the date/time now source/time (with a new parameter in the .ini).
post #299 of 987 Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sounds good to me. Mike - what do you think?
post #300 of 987 Old 06-12-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Sounds good to me. Mike - what do you think?

That sounds good too...

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page