CAV6.6 / MC11 link software - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 987 Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great suggestions, basdeng. I agree with all of them, FWIW to Carl.

bcrossan7, the CAVs link together via a proprietary RNet protocol across a standard Cat-5 or 6 patch cable. The jack is on the lower left on the back of the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 987 Old 07-13-2006, 07:15 AM

Liked: 10
I have recently installed the plug-in, but seem to be having a problem getting the application to read the CAV66.ini file. I say this because the application does not respond to my changes within the text document. For example: Zone names, time display format, active zones, etc. It appears that all six zones are being read, when just Zone 3 should be active based on my modifications to the .ini file. I created a folder in my programs folder called "CAV". I placed the cav66 v1.36 plugin and cav66.ini file in that folder. I double click the plugin and it launches the application correctly, but shows all zones as being on... any thoughts on why it is not reading the ini file. Is it named correctly? Or is it in the right location? I used the template that miltmij posted and just changed the areas within the text document per the instructions.
post #363 of 987 Old 07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have the opportunity to test them, so you're the first guinea pig it seems, mstone. Anybody else want to give my template a shot or does anyone notice something wrong with it? Carl, is there a debug mode in your program that will log any ini (or other) errors?
post #364 of 987 Old 07-18-2006, 07:19 AM

Any updates on helping me out with my CAV ini file issue? How are others creating ini files and getting them recognized by the application?
post #365 of 987 Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps if you posted it as an attachment, we would notice something that is wrong.
post #366 of 987 Old 07-18-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry haven't had time to reply in depth. cav66.exe looks in the current directory for cav66.ini, so if it's not finding it, then it's not in the current directory. If you're starting cav66.exe from a shortcut, check that cav66.ini is in the directory specified by the "Start In" field in the shortcut parameters.
post #367 of 987 Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 AM

Attached is the CAV66.ini file I created. I am a little unclear in terms of what you mean by directory? I basically created a folder in my windows program folder called "Carl Hyslop Plug-in" In that folder are the following files... "CAV66.exe" (your plug-in), "cav66 v1.36 Documentation.pdf" and "CAV66.ini" (the text ini file that I've uploaded to this posting). To launch your application, I open this folder and double click the application. It launches, sees the CAV through the serial port, but does't seem to read the ini file. I can go to source 3 on the CAV and see the playlists, etc., but can't get the system to correspond to the specifics of the .ini file.

Thanks for your help.

cav66.ini.txt 3.1064453125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt cav66.ini.txt (3.1 KB, 2 views)
post #368 of 987 Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the actual file named cav66.ini, or is it cav66.ini.txt? The latter is not going to work. Ensure that you have extension hiding turned off in Tools->Folder Options of Windows Explorer.
post #369 of 987 Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM

Miltimj,

Double checked your suggestions and the file is called CAV66.ini and the hide extension if recognized option is checked - still no luck?
post #370 of 987 Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Double checked your suggestions and the file is called CAV66.ini and the hide extension if recognized option is checked - still no luck?

UNcheck that option and now check the name.
post #371 of 987 Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

With this application is it possible to use the CAV remote (or a universal remote) pointed to a UNO pad to control MC in the same ways as if you were just using the pad buttons?

PSN ID - BMC73
post #372 of 987 Old 07-20-2006, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

bcrossan7 - yes, that works fine.

mstone - in addition to checking Mike's suggestion, please right-click on the shortcut/icon you use to start cav66.exe, and choose Properties. A dialog box will be displayed, including a field called "Start In". Check that this field shows the folder that contains cav66.ini.
post #373 of 987 Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=hyslopc]bcrossan7 - yes, that works fine.

QUOTE]

Thanks hyslopc... so then presumably if I use MC to play a ripped DVD and I have distributed video zones being fed by the CAV and my PC as a source to the CAV then I could use the remote to the pad to control a ripped DVD as well... correct?

PSN ID - BMC73
post #374 of 987 Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep. I haven't tried this myself, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Ditto AVIs, MPEGs, etc - anything MC can play, the keypads should be able to control, and anything the keypads can control, the IR remote can control (providing you have line-of-sight to a keypad).
post #375 of 987 Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

3. I know you've recently introduced a new feature in 1.36 for specifying which playlists will be displayed. Does this allow multiple playlists to be specified?

Regarding this suggestion, what would people prefer - do be able to specify a pattern (eg "Rock.*", "!Recent.*", or ".*Jazz.*"), or just a comma-seperated list?
post #376 of 987 Old 07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Both would be ideal, but I think pattern matching and regular expressions can get confusing for many (and wonder why they don't work, etc). At a minimum, I would suggest a comma-separated list, with perhaps the ability to have each item in the list pattern matched (the pattern matching would be a lower priority feature, IMO).
post #377 of 987 Old 07-22-2006, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, Tim - appreciate your input.
post #378 of 987 Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 AM

MILTIMJ you cam through big time!!!!! Turing off the hide file extension option revealed that indeed the .ini file had bee named with a .txt ending. Once I removed the .txt file extension the plug-in saw it immediately. Now I am offically part of this group. Thanks a million!

Marc in Philly!
post #379 of 987 Old 07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad it worked.
post #380 of 987 Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredhome View Post

Yeah I use a ground lifter (cheater) plug - not recommended for anything but a test as it eliminates the ground to the device. My hum remains in this test - interesting that there is one person -not- hearing the hum.

I had the video go nuts (lose sync) again today, it is once or twice a minute for about 5 seconds each time for about 25 minutes. I am going to pair down to just the two TiVos and see what happens. Right now I have the 2 Tivo's, a VCR and 2 dvd players. Normally I would also have a camera/CD combo and the MC11 on both audio and video (Which is -awesome-).

Thanks for the feedback so far

al

Quick update. The video issue I have been experiencing has be determained to be a result of the CAV66 overheating. When the unit is in my rack it can reach external case tempatures in excess of 120F, this seems to trigger the video to fail intermittently. Placing an external fan blowing over the top of the CAV cools it down to low 90F, and the video issue is resolved. I pulled the CAV completely out of the rack and let it run in the open and the temps stayed at low 90F -without- a fan running. The issue is very reproducable when it is allowed to heat up. I am very surprised it is heating up so much in the rack. Russound tech support just suggests that this unit either run outside of the rack, or in the rack with a cooling fan running. Sending this in to repair seems futile at this point. This is just a FYI for other CAV66 users who may encounter this issue, so you do not have to travel the long and twisting road I did to get an answer on this one.

Al
post #381 of 987 Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I've been frantically reseaching adding some multi-zone audio to our house while some of the walls are still open during our renovation.

I really like the Russound products, but most of the talk here is for the CAV66. While I like the most expensive offerings, I think with the cost of this house rising, I'm going to have to go with one of Russounds less expensive options - maybe the CAA66 or the CAS44. I do like the CAM66, but again, it might come down to price.

My question is, will this plugin being discussed here, work with JRMC and the lower end of Russound's line? I want to hook up my HTPC, maybe CD player, and the cable music channels to distribute through out the house.

Thanks!
Aaron
post #382 of 987 Old 07-27-2006, 03:29 AM

Hyslopc -

Any word on displaying the name of the input when first switched to like we were talking about a few weeks ago?

Thanks!
post #383 of 987 Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

amheck - all the Russound CAx products work, but IMHO even the CAV66 has too small of a display and not enough buttons. For me personally, going down to a keypad with no display and even fewer buttons is unthinkable - I really think it's worth the extra cash.

Mike - I'm not looking at this, but someone else is - let's see when he comes back with any news.
post #384 of 987 Old 08-05-2006, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any way to implement emulation of an arrow keypad (up, down, left, right, enter) for control of Theater View in MC from a keypad? It would be nice to do this without having to use a separate remote/girder combo.

Also, if anyone is using MC to watch their dvds....how did you import the info for the dvds? I have 460+ dvds ripped to a server and cataloged by DVDProfiler. I am trying to find an easy way to import these into MC with the DVD data. I cant figure it out.

Thanks for any info!

post #385 of 987 Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 AM

Forgive what may seem like rudimentary questions but my numerous searches haven't be very helpful:

1) Is it fair to assume most of you are using a home network with a dedicated MC box as one of those networked comps?

2) How/where are you doing your playlists for MC - via laptop, home pc, MC box, PDA (think WAF here)?

3) How are you controlling the MC box? Netremote, remote desktop, RealVNC, other?

4) What sound card are you using for multiple sources? (M-Audio Delta 44, 66??)

Thanks
post #386 of 987 Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 AM

Anyone?
post #387 of 987 Old 08-13-2006, 10:10 AM

1.) Yep, I'm using it as a networked computer. Though it's not completely dedicated to MC, I'm also using it as a file/web/etc. server.

2.) MC BOX, via. question 3.)

3.) remote desktop, though sometimes I prefer vnc

4.) Haven't done this yet
post #388 of 987 Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Currently in the planning and set-up phase for my system. Would like to purchase the CAV6.6 (or similar) in the next few weeks and begin installation.
In reading the thread, I recall someone saying they had connected their HTPC with the CAV6 through CAT5 cable. Is this possible, and is there a limit on the lenght of CAT5 one should use?
I have a dedicated media closet in my home, and a separate HT area. Plan to put the CAV6 in the HT, but would like to put the HTPC in the media closet, if possible. Would require about 50 of cable.

Thanks.
post #389 of 987 Old 08-16-2006, 10:47 AM

Have you wired for the CAV already? If not, I would suggest putting it in the media closet. I have mine in my "HT" only because the house was wired that way. All it does is make heat...

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #390 of 987 Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM

I am still learning about the HA/HT field, so excuse my ignorance.
I installed the wiring when the house was built. The media closet is in the central part of the house, while the HT is in the 'family room'.
My research showed that speakers, etc, should be wired to the location of the audio/video equipment, so all those wires terminate in the HT wiring area.
Also, is there not an issue with long runs of line level audio/video when the media closet is separate from the audio/video area?
Anyway, wiring is in place. I have loads of extra CAT5e and RG6 between the main media areas, as well as extras in many other areas of the home. Guess I will just have to deal with the heat issue.
What about the HTPC connection to the CAV?

Rick
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page