Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 984 Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyslopc View Post

I have discussed many times with various parties adding some sort of DLL or TCP interface to cav66.exe, so that it can serve various applications. I really should fix something like that - wouldn't be hard, and would open up many possibilties.

Add me to the list for this need. I hacked together a crude application written in Perl for my Asterisk box (my home PBX) that broadcasts callerID over the RNET to all keypads. That way, when the phone rings I can look at any keypad to see who is calling.

Now, I stumbled on to your application and would love to implement it. However, I've already got the RS-232 port tied up. It would be trivial for me to alter my code to just stream the text over a TCP port. Could even use the same RS-232 specs to allow display time etc...

So, to selfishly satisfy my own needs, just have your app listen on a port for a stream and toss it back out on the wire. If you know much about TCP streams this really wouldn't be too hard to implement. However, I can appreciate you wanting to make it more versatile than just a "text broadcaster" Let me know your thoughts.

By the way, great app. Took me most of the morning to read through this thread. I like what I see.

-Chuji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 984 Old 11-05-2006, 08:36 PM

I've run into one problem, has anyone else experienced a lag when using buttons on the keypads? Sometimes I see up to 3-4 seconds before it accepts a command, usually after i've impatiently pushed the button several times. I've tried it running CAV66 on my laptop, and then on my Media Center Server (Athlon 64 dual core 3800 - no slouch) - both have the same issue.
post #453 of 984 Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 PM

I recently bought a cam6.6t and I bought j rivers media center 11 and downloaded the cav66.zip. I cant seem to get it to work though. My keypads do not show whats being played and they dont allow me to choose any playlists. I have tried just about evrything. I even tried updating my firmware but my computer couldnt communicate with the cam6.6. Do you think something is wrong with my serial port. Its on COM1.
post #454 of 984 Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Nevermind the last post. I got it working. The cable I was using was bad. This software is awesome!! Have you ever thought of making a program that has a gui to program the ini file? Just a thought but excellent job on the cav66.exe!!
post #455 of 984 Old 11-13-2006, 03:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeltraveler View Post

I've run into one problem, has anyone else experienced a lag when using buttons on the keypads? Sometimes I see up to 3-4 seconds before it accepts a command, usually after i've impatiently pushed the button several times. I've tried it running CAV66 on my laptop, and then on my Media Center Server (Athlon 64 dual core 3800 - no slouch) - both have the same issue.

In JRiver there are settings that you can make it more/less responsive. Check there.
post #456 of 984 Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeltraveler View Post

I figured it out... My music is on a network share, and apparently my Dell gigabit switch needed rebooted, I did some network testing and was getting terrible throughput <300Kb/sec. Once I rebooted it, JRiver and the keypads started responding VERY fast, and it fixed a few other odd problems I was seeing as well.
post #457 of 984 Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM

I am having trouble finding the link to download this link.

Can someone point me to the page/link?

Thanks.
post #458 of 984 Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM

Try this link.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #459 of 984 Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Next week I was planning to install this to try it out ... I've read thru the thread, but it's still unclear to me exactly _how_ the CAV66.exe driver supports playlists. I understand it sends song metadata to the UNO-S1/S2 keypads, but does it also allow for displaying/selecting user-defined playlists in JRMC?

Also, does anyone using hsylopc's driver have an UNO-TS2, and if so does the UNO-TS2 display the song info, so long as the keypad's "source" is set to the correct screen (e.g., SMS?)
post #460 of 984 Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You make the playlists in JRMC, and cav66.exe can see them all automatically.
post #461 of 984 Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good news! Perhaps put it on SourceForge to take advantage of its features in this area.
post #462 of 984 Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Crash frequently? It runs for months on my server without any problems at all - I haven't had any crashes, and no-one has reported any crashes to me. If anyone is experiencing crashes, please let me know.
post #463 of 984 Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ive never had a crash of cav66 on my system and its running all the time. I love this plugin.

The one feature I wish it had was the ability to choose an artist...then see a list of albums...then choose a song to either (a) append to a playlist or (b) just start playing from that point.

I dont know if thats possible but it would be nice as I have 17,000 files and sometimes I just want to listen to a whole album but I cant seem to figure out how cav66 and JRMC can do that. Right now I have a playlist that contains all my files sorted by artist so I can scroll to the artist then start playing the songs in that artists directory...but I dont know where the albums begin and end...I just see all the artists songs globbed together.

Lou

post #464 of 984 Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you sort your playlist by [Artist],[Album] in JRMC, then you will get something like what you are looking for. Unfortunately the keypad display is not very big, and JRMC is unable to tell us how "Playing Now" is sorted. As such, it's difficult to implement good iPod-like tree functionality.
post #465 of 984 Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 AM

hey I am a complete newbie. Ran all the wires myself prior to drywall of my house. Getting all the CAT5 wire connected properly at both ends has been tedious. Is it normal to have some keypads display "Russound" and some "No Controler" prior to programming?

Is there a guide/manual for programming the system - I bought the CAM6.6 with built in AM/FM tuner. Does the cav6.6exe file work with the CAM6.6 system?

I would appreciate any help or guildance.
post #466 of 984 Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, all keypads should display "Russound" - you might want to check your wiring. If you're only going to use the keypads with my software, then you won't need to program anything. You will need to adjust cav66.ini, though, assuming you don't want to use the default settings. Many on this thread have said that the software works fine with CAM6.6.
post #467 of 984 Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:

No, all keypads should display "Russound" - you might want to check your wiring. If you're only going to use the keypads with my software, then you won't need to program anything. You will need to adjust cav66.ini, though, assuming you don't want to use the default settings. Many on this thread have said that the software works fine with CAM6.6.

Thanks. I am sure it is the plug ends of the Cat5 wires - damn things are tough to get right.
post #468 of 984 Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Go to www.russound.com and you can register in the files section to download manuals and updates for all their products.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #469 of 984 Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Thank you for such a great application!

I read the entire thread but it wasn't clear if I can select "web media" from the keypad.

In the web media I added some radio stations to "My Stations" but can't seem to select it from the keypad. Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks!

Bob
post #470 of 984 Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You can select any MC playlist from the keypads. So just add your web media to an MC playlist, then you can play them.
post #471 of 984 Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Hyslopc ... I went thru the thread but didn't see any yea/nay on this - does CAV66.exe support displaying/selecting JRMC's "smartlists?"

When I was testing it tonight, by the way, I noticed that periodically - upon starting up CAV66 - the zones would all display No Info, and the plugin was inactive (that is, no information or JRMC control @ keypads). Stopping and restarting CAV66 _and_ JRMC seemed to fix (stopping/starting CAV66 alone didn't).
post #472 of 984 Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, smartlists are just a type of playlist, so they appear in the list along with the static playlists, in alphabetical order (no differentiation is made between them). Haven't seen that "No info" problem before - was it when you played a certain track?
post #473 of 984 Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, smartlists are just a type of playlist, so they appear in the list along with the static playlists, in alphabetical order (no differentiation is made between them). Haven't seen that "No info" problem before - was it when you played a certain track?

I first set up CAV66 last night (finally, been sidetracked w/other projects!), and I noticed the "no info" issue ~6 times. Ultimately I realized I could recover by stopping both JRMC and CAV66 & restarting (start JRMC first, because I found CAV66 wouldn't start the media center if it wasn't running, though the docs indicated it should?); but I've not yet figured out what those "no info" launches had in common. Will continue to try to log the circumstances under which it occurs.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the UNO-TS2 keypad I have _does_ display the metadata info your program is sending - it shows up on the top of the panel as track/artist, with the zone name & time also displaying every ~12s. Unfortunately, that's about it ... from the TS2 there's no control/interaction with CAV66.exe - I had expected as much with the LCD buttons, but the TS2 does have hard buttons for ||, +, -, > and <. The || button works, but the others have no effect, which I found surprising. Until...

Ok, this gets complicated, so please lmk if my explanation doesn't make any sense. To elaborate I need to give you some background info on the TS2. This LCD keypad comes with a number of built-in screens to support various types of sources - for instance there are templates to support a CD player, DVD player, CD & DVD changers, satellite & cable boxes, as well as Russound's own sources (ST2S, ipod dock, SMS3 ... these latter have true metadata support via RNET).

TS2 setup includes identifying the "source type" for each of the six Russound sources, which basically applies the template to each source page; e.g., if I select "Sirius Radio" (source 1 on my system), the TS2 switches to the ST2S template, which consists of four pages of controls & metadata-rich info. If I select "HDTV" (source 5 on my system), the TS2 switches to a simple (no metadata) template with controls such as guide, menu, diretion arrows, etc.

Initially I set the JRMC source (src#6 on my system) on the TS2 to the standard "CD Player" template; this displays a single page of controls with your typical transport controls: pause, stop, play, track fwd, track back. Under this template, the only source-specific hard button that worked with CAV66.exe was ||; interestingly, the LCD-based || worked as well, though the other buttons didn't. Well, the LCD STOP button kind of worked ... upon tapping STOP, playback would stop and then immediately resume from the beginning of the current song. (press & hold of STOP had same effect)

I proceeded to try a handful of other source templates (including that meant for the SMS3 and iPod), but none were any different; this morning, though, I tried the "generic tuner" template (meant for an AM/FM tuner) ... and was surprised to find that the +, -, < and > hard keys actually had an effect on CAV66.exe!

It was not what I'd expect (i.e., not the effect the +, -, < and > keys have on an S2); I was getting ready for work and just kinda playing around, so I don't have exact details...but if memory serves, < and > seemed to be changing artists (at least, the artist metadata info would change when pressing these, followed by a track change), while + and - seemed to behave as track fwd/back ... when I get home tonight I'll do some more testing with the JRMC interface up in front of me, to see if I can figure out what net effect these buttons were causing.

Unfortunately, there is no screen for UNO-S2 emulation mode .... if there were, then I believe S2-type functionality from the TS2 would be a done deal (I'm going to talk to Russound about this and see if this is feasible).

Hyslopc ... I realize you probably don't have a vested interest in getting the TS2 working with CAV66.exe, but if I offer copious amounts of alpha-testing time, would you be willing to entertain the notion? I'm going to start by contacting Russound to figure out what is different about the command protocol on the TS2 when it sends, e.g., a STOP or PLAY command, vs. the UNO-S2. If you have any other suggestions for info I should try to glean from Russound (I was a programmer in a former life, but that was many moons ago - and I'm a complete n00b w/respect to 232/RNET) please let me know...

BTW, here are the SMS3 and ipod TS2 templates, fyi:

SMS3 Media Server interface

iPod dock interface
post #474 of 984 Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Did some more testing and have a bit more info ... I tried switching the TS2 screen config for my "media server" source 6 among the predefined screens, with some interesting results:

Generic Tuner: only + - |< >| keys worked; oddly, the functions were switched (i.e., + - were track fwd/back, < > keys were artist fwd/back)

CD Player: + - |< >| keys do not work; onscreen PAUSE works, onscreen STOP restarts current song

5 Disc CD Changer: no control at all

CD Changer, 6 Disc CD Changer and DVD Changer: + - |< >| keys worked, and in the correct way (+ - changes artist, < > tracks fwd/back); the on-screen stop/pause/play/etc buttons had no effect

DVD: + - have no effect, |< >| works ok; lcd buttons have no effect

Satellite & Cable: + - work ok, |< >| have no effect

SMS3 Media, iPod & Russound Tuner screens: surprisingly, each of the + - |< >| keys worked properly; however there were no onscreen stop/play/etc buttons, so accessing/changing playlists was unavailable
post #475 of 984 Old 01-20-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post

CD Player: + - |< >| keys do not work; onscreen PAUSE works, onscreen STOP restarts current song

Actually, I just realized that hitting STOP on the UNO-S2 keypad _also_ restarts the current song, vs. stopping playback. Have you heard report of this issue?
post #476 of 984 Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Question, hyslop ... it occurs to me that perhaps I'd be able to capture (from the PC that's hooked up to the CAV) the serial/RNET commands that are coming down the line whenever an LCD button on any given screen on the UNO-TS2 is pressed. Presuming that the TS2 has special serial commands that a typical S1/S2 doesn't, perhaps this could then be integrated into your CAV66 app as an "extender?"

Is there any software tool you could recommend that I could run on the PC to capture said serial commands?
post #477 of 984 Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Getting off the topic of the TS2 for a moment - it looks like much of the song/artist metadata tends to be cropped at ~12-15 characters? So often the latter part of the song is cropped, and sometimes the artist, as well.

Can I suggest an enhancement? What about the possibility of splitting the song & artist metadata up, and displaying them individually (much as you do with the time, now).

So let's say MC11 is playing "This is a long song title" by "Billy McGillicutty." Whereas now CAV66.exe pushes a string like "This is a long so/Billyl McGillicu" to the UNO keypads, how about changing this so that "This is a long song title" displays for ~7-10s, followed by "Billy McGillicutty" for same amount of time ... and then the option to still display the time/date (for a shorter period of time, say ~3s?) before reverting to the song title again, etc.

That's actually similar to the way the UNO keypads currently display metadata from Russound sources (SMS, ipod, ST2 tuners, etc).
post #478 of 984 Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Netarc! Exciting that someone has a TS2. I will PM you...
post #479 of 984 Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Hi Netarc,

I use a bit of software made by HHD Software called FreeSerial monitor. Get it from brothersoft slash downloads. (I can't post URL directly). It's very good.

It will display all communication sent and received via the RS232 port. You need to start it up prior to running the cav66.exe software then you can see all the RS232 commands sent backwards and forwards.
post #480 of 984 Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacliath View Post

Hi Netarc,

I use a bit of software made by HHD Software called FreeSerial monitor. Get it from brothersoft slash downloads. (I can't post URL directly). It's very good.

It will display all communication sent and received via the RS232 port. You need to start it up prior to running the cav66.exe software then you can see all the RS232 commands sent backwards and forwards.

Excellent - thanks, I'll try that tonight! Here's the link for others, btw:
http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/f...t-details.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page