CAV6.6 / MC11 link software - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 987 Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hyslopc
If you published the source or made it avaliable I would love to help develop it further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 987 Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What sort of programming skills do you have? And do you really have time to devote to this? I would love to say yes myself, but history proves me wrong.
post #723 of 987 Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM

I have mainly C++ skills and now .Net, I have been programing for a number of year. I have wrote interface applications in the past using serial/par ports to control robots and other devices.

I would be able to comit some time to enhancing the code, how much is allways an issue as like you i do have a day job. But any enhancements made I would most certainly share.

Mark
post #724 of 987 Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any movement on this? I'd still love a version that supports multiple CAV6.6s, and I'm more than willing to pay for it.
post #725 of 987 Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 PM

I too would pony up if needed to get multiple cav support, I have 2 sites that need it, otherwise its casatools.

You should post a bounty thread, perhaps collect half up front, and collect the rest afterwards or sell it for a small license fee until its paid off, or as you wish - you are the owner.
post #726 of 987 Old 09-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am running it with multiple CAVs right now. I have been for a couple years now. What problem are people having?

I dont see all 12 zones on the CAV6.6 software screen but all 12 zones have access.

post #727 of 987 Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

I have a few issues, one for example no autostop on zones that are not on the first controller, and other such as intermitant control and display on second controller.
post #728 of 987 Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 AM

No momement that I know about H has not replied to me in any way...
post #729 of 987 Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone else having this problem:
When I drop new MP3s into my Music folder, MC12 automatically adds them to a "All Music" playlist. When I go to my keypads and load the "All Music" playlist, my new music doesn't show up unless I shut down CAV66 and restart it. I think an update to MC12 caused this as I believe it worked with versions in the 300s, but I updated to a version in the 400s and now it doesn't work. I will try updating to the latest (534?) and see what happens.

Edit-534 has same issue. Looks like the auto playlist "All Music" is not getting updated on the fly.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #730 of 987 Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone using this great piece of software to play movies through MC12? I am trying to get some details on how to set up the view to maintain full screen video when going between video and audio.

If anyone is running video please send me a PM or post here.

Thanks

PSN ID - BMC73
post #731 of 987 Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Let me start my posting by saying THANK YOU hyslopc for this awesome software. I will contribute to the cause via PayPal as soon as I get everything hammered out and working. I loaded MC12 (build 13.0.524) and am having the same issue that several others are where I can not access my playlists by holding down the stop button on the UNO-S2 pad. When I load MC13 (build 13.0.054) everything works as expected. However when ripping a CD in MC13 that is damaged/scratched the app causes Vista to freak out. Vista starts telling me that all application are no longer responding and I have to reboot. The license I have is for MC12 and MC13 but could not get it to work with MC11 (build 11.1.201). It seems like MC12 (Build 12.0.222) was the last build the CAV66 bridge worked with. Does anyone know where I can download that build? I look on J River's FTP server but could not find it. Does anyone have a suggestion? One other questions; When setting up the CAV6.6/UNO-S2 controller what command type should be used? Default is "Command Type = Peripheral" which seems to work fine but wanted to double check.
post #732 of 987 Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 PM

I use video all the time. I have no issues with it going out of full screen. Tell me more about the problems you are having.
post #733 of 987 Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM

would someone be kind enough to tell me how to get my media server which is the one cav6.6 and MC12 run on, to go to sleep, then come alive from the kaypad?
Thank you.
post #734 of 987 Old 11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtrom View Post

would someone be kind enough to tell me how to get my media server which is the one cav6.6 and MC12 run on, to go to sleep, then come alive from the kaypad?

Don't think you can. Not unless the BIOS on that computer supports being 'woken up' from serial COM port activity (and not many do). There's no other way for the CAV to send something to the PC.

If you're going to use a PC to interface this way you really can't go putting it to sleep. It's acting as a server, of sorts, and they're expected to be available 24x7.
post #735 of 987 Old 11-27-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Don't think you can. Not unless the BIOS on that computer supports being 'woken up' from serial COM port activity (and not many do). There's no other way for the CAV to send something to the PC.

If you're going to use a PC to interface this way you really can't go putting it to sleep. It's acting as a server, of sorts, and they're expected to be available 24x7.

I've done it, but its really not that user friendly. You'll need an IR keyboard/mouse receiver that plugs into your PS2 or USB ports and a BIOS that supports power-on by keystroke or mouse click. (most modern motherboards support this) You'll need to attach an IR blaster from the CAV unit to the IR receiver on the PC and program the CAV to send a signal that the PC recognizes. I think I had to teach the CAV the appropriate IR signal.

Unforutnately, the CAV66 software requires the "Media Server" zone to be defined on the CAV, and there is no option for a PowerOn command to be sent like you can with a DVD or CD zone. So, what I did was create an extra zone in the CAV unit for CD and at PowerOn send the IR signal to wake up my PC. Another catch is that the software and the CAV don't sync up correctly if the keypad stays on while the PC is waking up, so you have to turn off the keypad while the PC wakes up, and then back on and switch over to the appropriate zone to get to the music.

I hope I wrote this clear enough. Its pretty easy once you understand how the CAV unit's zones and power-on options all work, but again, not very user friendly. My wife ended up getting so frustrated and confused with this process that I ended up just building a new low-power server that I keep on all the time.

post #736 of 987 Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

My wife ended up getting so frustrated and confused with this process...

Ding, ding! Give that man a prize from the "If your spouse is happy, you're happy" category. Never underestimate the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Stuff like this really benefits when it's as unobtrusive as possible. Add too many steps and even the most die-hard gadget lover will get fed up with it.

But I give you credit for the creative way you got it rigged up. That's pretty clever.

There is actually another way to do it, but it won't work with sleep mode. You could use a Russound ACT-12 (I think that's the part number) power relay. The CAV66 can control one of these. It turns the AC power on and off. If you set the PC to boot automatically on power-up you'd be able to get it to start. Trouble is there's no smart way to handle the powering off. The ACT would just kill the power and PCs don't generally tolerate being powered off that abruptly. If it was a laptop you could change the power control panel to stay on whenever power was present, but shut itself down in (X) number of minutes when on battery. I'd imagine something else could be rigged up using something else that was powered through the ACT. Then have the PC "notice" when that device isn't available and take care of putting itself into sleep. Getting it powered back on might work if it was the sort of device that could power on the PC via BIOS settings. But then you start treading into treacherous WAF territory.
post #737 of 987 Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Ooooo, I just thought of another option. Since the CAV66 has a 12vdc signaling line you could potentially use that with a relay and the sleep button on the PC. Rig it up with a one-shot momentary circuit to close the Sleep button line. The Sleep button is usually momentary, and on some motherboards you could also use the Power button circuit. This would let you use the normal Power control panel settings. Put the machine into Standby based on the button press. Then it'd use the normal button press signaling to wake the PC back up again.
post #738 of 987 Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 PM

I have a questions for the pros out there. I have just gotten into a house that has the following layout:

Four bedrooms (upstairs) all with two gang boxes with a single CAT 5 wire that runs to the mechanical room in the basement. (I think it was for an intercom)

All four bedrooms have speakers in the ceiling that run to the mechanical room in the basement.

Down stairs has a 3 gang box in the Kitchen that has 2 CAT 5 cables running to the mechanical room in the basement.

The Dining room, Kitchen, Family room, and Office all have speakers that run to the mechanical room in the basement.

I have cable internet that runs into an 8 port switch in the mechanical room and then to a wireless router located on the main floor of the house.

I have some audio equipment that was donated to me. I am going to finish my basement soon and will have a media room which will be next to the mechanical room. I have a Russound CAV 6.6 controller with a SRC2 remote.
I do not have any stations with this, just the controller and the remote.

Here is my question, What equipment do you recommend that I get in order to accomplish the following:

I want to have an intercom system between all the bedrooms and the Kitchen.

I also want to have each bedroom able to control its speakers and the kitchen to control the downstairs speakers in the kitchen, family room, dining room and office.

Can I set this up with the Russound or do I need to go with something else. Pulling more wire is not an option I have to be able to work with the existing CAT 5 and speaker wires that are pulled to the central mechanical room in the basement.

Any comments are more than welcome.

R,
Jethro
Jethro@flightline.com
post #739 of 987 Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

This is not a generic Russound or wiring thread, perhaps asking on it's own thread would be better?

As for intercoms, we went with some Uniden 5ghz cordless phones a while back. The intercom feature works nicely and their system supports up to 10 handsets. They even make a waterproof version (one in the bath and another out on the deck).
post #740 of 987 Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Thank you both wkearney99 and blipszyc for answering my Q about sleep mode. I might just leave it available 27/7.
post #741 of 987 Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this works http://cgi.ebay.com/CONTROL-YOUR-RUS...3A1%7C294%3A50

and if something like that can be integraded with jRiver?
post #742 of 987 Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how this works http://cgi.ebay.com/CONTROL-YOUR-RUS...3A1%7C294%3A50

and if something like that can be integraded with jRiver?

Not sure how that device works, or what it provides, but if I had to guess, its a router with custom software on it that connects to the Russound devices. Considering that device and your Jriver PC both need to use the serial port on the CAV, I don't think you can use both. Although I don't know if a serial splitter would work or not.

If you want to control your Russound from an iPhone, download VNC or Jaduu and connect to your PC that way.

post #743 of 987 Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what format they use for the R-net connections? My guess is it's RS-422 or the like. Anyone know for sure?
post #744 of 987 Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Not sure how that device works, or what it provides, but if I had to guess, its a router with custom software on it that connects to the Russound devices. Considering that device and your Jriver PC both need to use the serial port on the CAV, I don't think you can use both. Although I don't know if a serial splitter would work or not.

If you want to control your Russound from an iPhone, download VNC or Jaduu and connect to your PC that way.

Thanks,
I was more concerned with a way to get that same interface with JRiver MC12 and control via iphone. I have no interest is spending the $200 for the box. If I cant get it with my curent setup i'll just use vnc like you said.
post #745 of 987 Old 12-08-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
I was more concerned with a way to get that same interface with JRiver MC12 and control via iphone. I have no interest is spending the $200 for the box. If I cant get it with my curent setup i'll just use vnc like you said.

I did a bit of searching and found that someone has written an iPhone/iTouch app called RiverMote. Link Looks like there is a client piece that installs on your phone/touch and a server piece that sits on the server. I'm a bit concerned that the CAV66 software won't run properly because it appears this person has replaced the original MC12 exe with his own. If I have some time this weekend, I'll download it and try it out.

Another way would be to have someone write a webapp that could be served from the media server and accessed through Safari on the iPhone/iTouch.

post #746 of 987 Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM

XPTunes does what you're describing... it provides a browser-based interface for controlling JR Media Center. It has both standard browser and iPhone optimized skins. Found on the third-party plug-ins forum on Interact:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43402.0
post #747 of 987 Old 12-13-2008, 02:53 PM

Did we ever get shuffle back? I'm still using MC 11.1 and way ready to upgrade (hopefully without losing the shuffle feature from the keypads).
post #748 of 987 Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any news on an updated version compatible with multi-CAV66 setups?
post #749 of 987 Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, no. It's very much on my mind, and I would love to fix it, but it's a lot of work, and since I only have one CAV, testing is pretty tricky. If I thought there was someone available who really could and would update the code, then I would pass the source code over to them in a heartbeat. The people who I've passed the source code onto in the past have "cut and run", presumably using the source code for their own (probably commercial) purposes, and certainly never making any enhancements to it that the community get the benefit of. I've got nothing against profit, but if someone wants to sell a product based on my source, they should have to pay for it, not get it for free by promising to work on it.

One simple change I thought about recently was just to make a "No auto-stop" setting. That is, don't automatically stop playing if no zones are turned on. This would mean that you wouldn't have to keep a keypad turned on on the first CAV, in order to play music on the second one.
post #750 of 987 Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 AM

hyslopc, totally understand your position, and if thats the way its got to be then no problem. Me personally as I stated I do not have a commercial interest, but commiting a large amount of time to it would be difficult.

However Please, please if you can try to make the updates for more than one controller, it would be great to get my system running sweet.

Also a small request, can you have an option in the ini file not the launch Jriver MC if you launch CAV6.6 first. Problem is I run both as a service in windows to prevent shutdown, and will CAV6.6 launching MC I get multiple instances open on some occasions.

Mark.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page