post #961 of 987 Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by randycw View Post

The Delta Audio card has 8 RCA outputs. So source 1 uses 1,2 outputs Source 2 uses 3,4 and so on. I moved working source 1s outputs (audio card 1,2 outputs) to another CAV input (in the case mentioned in the post that was Zone 2). So moving the audio cards 1,2 outputs around the other zones demonstrated that the CAV amplification was working properly.

See, this is where I can't quite tell what it is you did. From what I read you took to outputs from 1&2 and put them into a different CAV port. Fine, but then you assumed the CAV amplification was working based on that? How so? Moving to a new set of CAV input ports (a russound 'source') you only confirmed that the audio coming from 1&2 was working, not that the previous source within the CAV was working. Get why it's confusing?

I asked about USB because of device port rippling effects. Some USB devices are notorious for disrupting the 'ordering' windows uses to set up audio devices. I'm wondering if something added (or removed) might have disrupted that 'behind the scenes' stuff used by Windows.

And you say it's all working now? By deleting and then recreating "the same" configurations? Yeah, that sort of thing definitely makes me wonder about how Windows, and then MC, were handling the devices behind the scenes.

I've found it to be hit-and-miss to fiddle with any device ordering in Windows and MC. Or to expect any driver or updates to not disrupt them. As in, a new driver for the motherboard audio (even though it might not even be used in MC) might cause enough of a disruption of ports to let MC get confused about them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 987 Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

How is a second controller configured in the cav66.ini file? Assuming it's setup as the #2 controller, with the serial connection made to controller #1. And the sources are daisy-chained from controller #1 to the same inputs on #2, with the same names as setup via PCPowerTool.

What device type should the zones be configured as? Unassigned or something specific? What keypresses does the cav66.exe program recognize and how does they translate to JRMC?

I haven't revisited all this for a while, thanks for keeping it available!
post #963 of 987 Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Possible bug with MC17 (which appears to work otherwise)

It doesn't appear to 'stick' to the proper Playing Now list for a particular zone. From startup it does appear to properly use the correct playlists. As in, I have two zones setup in MC17 called "Media Srv 1" and "Media Srv 2". Those are the same names as used in the cav66.ini file Source section Name= fields. Which doesn't matter, of course, as cav66.exe appears to use something else to determine which zones are which.

But if I use MC17 on the console (mainly to edit playlists and tags on tracks) at some point the cav66.exe program starts using the main "Player" zone (the local audio on the machine itself).

Is there a way for the cav66 program to match it's use of a zone by name? Or is there no way to 'get at' that info from MC?

I can't be certain, yet, but MC17 seems to do something odd with handling the zone ordering. Especially if use of DLNA renders or controls is enabled. I'm guessing some kind of renumbering happens when the DLNA devices come and go (like turning a TV or media streamer on/off). Meanwhile I've disabled using DLNA devices in MC as I don't really need them at this point. Especially not if it screws up the Russound interface.
post #964 of 987 Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

How is a second controller configured in the cav66.ini file? Assuming it's setup as the #2 controller, with the serial connection made to controller #1. And the sources are daisy-chained from controller #1 to the same inputs on #2, with the same names as setup via PCPowerTool.

I figured this out, putting NumControllers=2 in the cav66.ini file magically enabled zones 7 through 12. Which can be named as such in additional Zone sections.

Quote:

What device type should the zones be configured as? Unassigned or something specific? What keypresses does the cav66.exe program recognize and how does they translate to JRMC?

I found the PDF document that explains how the keys are handled. But does this mean that the cav66.exe program totally ignores how the source might be set up in the CAV itself? Just curious about how possible IR keycode commands might be setup in addition to how the cav66.exe program interacts with it. Can't really see where it'd make much difference though, unless I wanted something else to be able to be controlled via IR in parallel with the program.
post #965 of 987 Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using cav66 for several years and just recently started having issues with stability. I am running CAV66 1.4 it with JRMC 12.0.497. It seems to be crashing when I hold down the stop button to change my playlist. It's not doing it consistently so I'm not sure what is causing it. I have the cav66.dmp file for anyone that can help me. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?
post #966 of 987 Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently upgraded to MC17 and found that using my Droid X, iPhone or iPad with Gizmo and WebGizmo is much more user friendly than using the CAV link setup. Take a look at the new interaction with MC17 and Gizmo.

Rudy81
post #967 of 987 Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 View Post

I recently upgraded to MC17 and found that using my Droid X, iPhone or iPad with Gizmo and WebGizmo is much more user friendly than using the CAV link setup. Take a look at the new interaction with MC17 and Gizmo.

I'll take a look at it however I think I still prefer local keypad control for my kids to use. I also use the sleep feature built into the CAV66.exe program. I do have Rivermote which I sometimes use to control JRMC from my iPhone and it works ok for now.

Upon looking into Gizmo I discovered some threads about integrating Squeezebox into JRMC. Consider me sidetracked!
post #968 of 987 Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Can someone send me a basic cav66.ini file. My PC died and the new isn't working with MC17. Lost my previous version and can't find a backup. When I delelte the .ini and let it be re-created, it doesn't work.

Thanks!
post #969 of 987 Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Here's mine, for 2 CAV6.6 units:

[Setup]
Port=COM1
ShowNumericPlaylists=N
NumControllers=2
WindowHeight=34
WindowLeft=-32000
WindowWidth=160
WindowTop=-32000

[Source 1] ; Zone 1; Media Server 1
Name=Media Server 1
Group=
Ignore=N
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=Y
TimeFormat=12

[Source 2] ; Zone 2; Media Server 2
Name=Media Server 2
Group=
Ignore=N
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=N
TimeFormat=12

[Source 3]
Name=
Group=
Ignore=Y
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=Y
TimeFormat=12

[Source 4]
Name=
Group=
Ignore=Y
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=Y
TimeFormat=24

[Source 5]
Name=
Group=
Ignore=Y
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=Y
TimeFormat=24

[Source 6]
Name=
Group=
Ignore=Y
AutoStop=Y
DisplayTime=Y
TimeFormat=24

; Zone Setup Section
[Zone 1] ; Man cave
Name=Man cave
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 2] ; Kitchen
Name=Kitchen
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 3] ; zone 3
Name=Basement Main Room
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 4] ; Kid's Room
Name=Kid's Room
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 5] ; Library
Name=Library
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 6] ; Master Bedroom
Name=Master Bedroom
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 7] ; Exercise Room
Name=Exercise Room
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N

[Zone 8] ; The Office
Name=The Office
FlashColor=Amber
Dark=N
AutoPlay=N
post #970 of 987 Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Thanks to all for the sample cav ini files!
post #971 of 987 Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 AM

I've been using MC17 for a few months and with CAV66.exe for most of that time. I really like the functionality it provides in my set up.

Everything worked OK until about a month ago. Now whenever I start CAV66 I get "no info" for each zone then after about a minute I get an error "Could not access MC automation interface (0x80080005)

I'm running MC17.0.186 under Windows 7 64 bit. I'm pretty sure there have been no hardware changes or MC software upgrades recently.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be and more especially how to fix it?

Thanks
post #972 of 987 Old 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM

I love the CAV6.6 software interface to MC17!!! I have been looking for something like this ever since I got my used CAV6.6 a couple months ago. This takes an older piece of equipment to the next level, making it fresh again and relevant in today's digital world. My wife caught on with navigating the menus right away so all is good with the WAF as well. smile.gif

Thanks to hyslopc for your great work and contribution to the Russound community. I know this is older software but there is still interest out there so thanks for keeping it available for download.
post #973 of 987 Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM
mcu

I tried this a couple a days and seems to work to a certain level for me. Thanks to the author first of all.

I have JRMC17 with a cav6.6 and it does pass the data to the keypad, but if I hit next button on the keypad, the info on what is playing is not updated even though it changes the song. I have to power off and on the keypad to get the new song's info. I am wondering if anything in my .ini file.I used fehguy's .ini file a few posts up. Anyone else have this issue and solved it?

Also what I would love to do is turn up the volume, power on and off the zones/keypads from my ipad or android. I have seen Gizmo which looks great but don't see anyway to do this.

I have a license for Girder 5, but the coding is a little beyond my capabiities and wondering if anyone here has a girder setup done for Russound CAV with JRMC and some sort of ipad/android device

Thanks
post #974 of 987 Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Gotta say, just setting up a CAV6.6 and testing this out. It is really nice so far with MC18. Thanks to the OP.
post #975 of 987 Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM

Indeed. Send him some love via paypal if you're so inclined.

Carl, have you given the TS2 anymore cycles?

Maybe you could ping the guy who made this video to see if he has any insights on the issues you hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6IuN1wuDM
post #976 of 987 Old 03-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Hi there...been monitoring this forum for a while...I am a longtime Russound user, and my SMS finally crapped out on me, and I am building a new Media Server to run JRIVER and would like to link the CAM6.6T I have to it...

How do I get access to the CAV66 file? Any support would be appreciated!!

Thank you,
Bryan
post #977 of 987 Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 AM

You're probably not the only person wondering what happened to Carl but I really don't have any clue what's going on...
  • The cav66.exe link in the base post appears to be defunct although the web site that was hosting the file is still up.
  • There don't appear to have been any posts by hyslopc in this forum in over a year and a half.
  • The last post by Zoner (aka hyslopc) in the JRMC forum was nearly four years ago.

Hopefully we haven't heard the last of Carl. I know he's expressed dismay at people taking his work and monetizing it against his wishes.

By the way, the files do still appear to be on his website. Try this link:
http://www.objective.se/cav66.zip.
post #978 of 987 Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 PM

Thanks for this...is anyone comes across Carl's current info...let me know so I can make sure I thank him!!!!!
post #979 of 987 Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM

If you're thinking of sending him a small token of your appreciation, his Paypal account is mentioned earlier in the thread:

paypal at objective.se
post #980 of 987 Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 PM

dalley333 did you solve the stability issue? I just got the same problem, it has maybe ssomethimg to do with the size of the number of playlists.
post #981 of 987 Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 AM

I am just now hooking up my 2nd Russound zone to MC17 using the cav66.exe program (which worked great with just one zone). The problem I'm having is that, while I can get my keypads to play two zones in MC17, I only get metadata on the keypads for the "active" zone in MC17. In other words, only the zone which I have currently selected in the MC 'Playing Now' list shows metadata on the keypads. The other zone (when both are playing) only shows the playlist name and does not scroll any other data.

Has anyone else encountered this before?

Still loving cav66 otherwise....
post #982 of 987 Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM

Liked: 12
For the past year I have been having stability issues between JRiver 15 and the link software, where the link software would just crash inexplicably. Sometimes it would run for days on end before a crash, while other times it couldn't get through a day without multiple crashes.

The other thing I noticed was that my kids weren't really using the CAV6.6 keypads and room audio. Rather they were just playing JRiver via Gizmo or EOS directly to their tablets and phones. When further investigated it was because they felt that trying to scroll through the music and videos via the Russound keypads was far too tedious.

Because of these two items I have abandond the CAV6.6 within my setup, and just gone with my multichannel amp and the JRiver computer. I have replaced the Russound keypads with Nexus 7 android devices. After several weeks of use now, I find that the kids are once again using the audio zones again!

Parts List - Tablet
- $200: Nexus 7 Tablets (as they support Qi Wireless Charging)
- ElementalX Kernel. You need to root the Nexus 7 and install this Kernal to get "Tap to Wake / Tap to Sleep" (eg you don't need to grope for the power button).
- Gizmo (free app to control JRiver)
- Skype (using it as an intercom system)

Parts List - Wall Mount
- $30: Qi Wireless Charging Pad
- $20 PoE to microUSB adapter (also you'd need a PoE injector, but I had that already)
- $2: Magnets behind the frame are 20mm/2mm
- $1: Magnets siliconed to the back of the Nexus 7 are 20mm/1mm

Cat5.jpg 577k .jpg file
Wirelesspower.jpg 225k .jpg file
Finishedproduct3.jpg 482k .jpg file

The magnetic mounts let the kids remove the tablets from their bedroom walls and watch a video.

I guess this also implies that I have a CAV6.6, dual radio tuner, and keypads available for reasonable cost if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cat5.jpg (576.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Wirelesspower.jpg (225.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Finishedproduct3.jpg (482.3 KB, 33 views)
Mysticeti and jphaus like this.
post #983 of 987 Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM

CAV66 Crashes on Playlist Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalley333 View Post
I have been using cav66 for several years and just recently started having issues with stability. I am running CAV66 1.4 it with JRMC 12.0.497. It seems to be crashing when I hold down the stop button to change my playlist. It's not doing it consistently so I'm not sure what is causing it. I have the cav66.dmp file for anyone that can help me. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?
Just noticed the exact same issue using Win7-32 with JRMC 18.0.212 and CAV66 v1.4. It occurs every time I try to change playlists holding down Stop key on Uno. I get, "A serious error has occurred within KERNELBASE.dll and CAV66 cannot continue." CAV66 will not run again (i.e. "NO INFO") until reboot.

Any ideas? Could it be a windows or JRMC update? I don't really use the Media Server for much else so not sure what other updates/changes could have caused the issue...

Last edited by mikeav8r; 08-13-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect Version listed in post.
post #984 of 987 Old 08-13-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeav8r View Post
Just noticed the exact same issue using Win7-32 with JRMC 18.0.212 and CAV66 v1.4. It occurs every time I try to change playlists holding down Stop key on Uno. I get, "A serious error has occurred within KERNELBASE.dll and CAV66 cannot continue." CAV66 will not run again (i.e. "NO INFO") until reboot.

Any ideas? Could it be a windows or JRMC update? I don't really use the Media Server for much else so not sure what other updates/changes could have caused the issue...
I haven't used CAV66 in a while, but I'd guess it's a windows update causing the problem. Do you know the exact time it started happening. MS usually releases patches on the 2nd tuesday of the month (yesterday), but it could be a patch from July. Unfortunately, narrowing down which one could be impossible. Most of the time, Windows creates a System Restore image when doing patches so you can try to roll-back to a previous revision. If that works, TURN OFF automatic updates!

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #985 of 987 Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Hi
I have not been using my CAV66 for quite a few years now (Started using tablet along with bluetooth speakers). Now I am getting back and was looking to see how to start using Russound again. Doing google search led me to this thread and I see that folks have had some success. One area of concern is that the developer has moved on? and there is no source for it. Further google searching led me to openremote specifically http://openremote.org/display/docs/O...d+Sound+System Anyone has experience with setting up openremote?

Here is a little about my setup in my living room

Russound CAV6.6 (3 Zones namely bedroom, pool and gameroom wired)
Pioneer VSX 1021 receiver (it does have Zone 2)
HTPC running Windows 8 and it has one COM port available
Plex server is currently running on the HTPC and I use that to listen to music in my living room

I would like to be able use my android tablets to
(1) operate the russound
(2) play music on any of the zones via Plex

Any thoughts
dallas_burn
post #986 of 987 Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using CAV66 to stream 3 sources of MP3s through JRiver in my home. I can control the music via the keypads, and also control JRiver through their Android app. Works great for me.
post #987 of 987 Old 09-07-2014, 08:53 AM

@Mike_Boulanger Thanks. I'll give it a go. I really was hoping for a solution that let me control the Russound with Plex. I have already setup Plex to play nice with my Android and Roku devices.
dallas_burn
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page