How to Power PC Speakers with Power Supply? HELP!!! - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > How to Power PC Speakers with Power Supply? HELP!!!

Home Theater Computers

Arty13's Avatar Arty13
02:05 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 9
05-11-2005 | Posts: 204
I'm building a PC Jukebox and it has 2 internal speakers, 5" round, maybe they are 4", but one of those two...
so my question is... i know the audio out on the Motherboard doesnt output enough power to the speakers... so i was wondering if anyone knew how to power the speakers with the pc powersupply?
so i'll have stereo, one left channel and one right channel, so far two wires... now what do i do?
thanks,

Arty
Keh's Avatar Keh
04:48 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 531
You could try searching this forum with the words "pci" and "amplifier" (should get you this thread).

Or there's Google etc...

Another approach (if there is space) would be to use a car amp.
MrGone's Avatar MrGone
08:17 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 30
Maybe I misread your question, but it should be noted that you just can't take power (electricity) and apply it to speakers to make them powered. Like Keh said, you'll need an amplifier, which can run off the same outlet your PC is connected to, but I wouldn't attempt to draw power from the output of your PC's power supply. You might be better off buying a set of powered PC speakers (integrated amplifier and speaker). Circuit City, CompUSA have tons of these.
tbdombrosky's Avatar tbdombrosky
09:19 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 597
It "should" be possible to do this. Most pc speakers have amplifiers that work off of 12v. If yours does, just take a 5.25 power cable, cut off the end, and attach the yellow (12v+) to the + and black (ground) to the -. I have never tried this though and I wouldn't recommend doing it but technically it should work.
AmigaDude's Avatar AmigaDude
11:58 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 243
Arty -- NO, NO, NO !!!

Tom, that would fry his motherboard, speakers, and maybe even his house. Internal speakers do NOT have amplifiers, only with external speaker enclosures would this possibly work. Even then he would be better off using the transformer in the speaker enclosure.
Arty13's Avatar Arty13
12:28 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 204
so i just cant run power to them along with the signal.... hmm... how small do they have these pc speaker amps? cause i dont really have any more room left... i did online searching, didnt find anything so gave up after awhile...
any other advice, please let me know.. thanks

Arty
tbdombrosky's Avatar tbdombrosky
12:39 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally posted by AmigaDude
Arty -- NO, NO, NO !!!

Tom, that would fry his motherboard, speakers, and maybe even his house. Internal speakers do NOT have amplifiers, only with external speaker enclosures would this possibly work. Even then he would be better off using the transformer in the speaker enclosure.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I'm talking about using pc speakers like the kind logitech makes, not the ones built into computer cases. He would have to use something that came with an amplifier that could be powered by 12v.
didgeman's Avatar didgeman
12:45 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 37
Hey Arty.

Something like this: (i can't post links yet - so do a google for -
K4003 30W Stereo Amplifier - )
would probably suit, looks small enough to fit in most cases (although it is going to add some heat - look at those sinks) and will take power from the PC's power supply. It's then just a matter of supplying line level (from line out) to the amp and connecting your speakers at the other end .. I wish you luck.

Cheers

Didge
samgreco's Avatar samgreco
01:43 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 9
05-12-2005 | Posts: 284
Or, you can go somewhere like this:

http://www.apexjr.com/JBL12.htm

and for $9.95 get this small amp from a set of powered speakers and mount the board in your case. Not a lot of power but it should work pretty well.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread