Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2932 Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

MyHD's latest software (v 1.66) supports both analog and digital closed captions on NTSC and ATSC/QAM stations, respectively.

Thanks Peterson!! I will try to install MyHD today!!! FusionHD software is still buggy on my comp. Now I can't even start the software. Its displays an Authentication Failed error message. Weird. They need a better QA team!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2932 Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Does this device work with both old-fashioned NTSC and HD-TV? Also, will it work with HD via cable?

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #543 of 2932 Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill View Post

Does this device work with both old-fashioned NTSC and HD-TV? Also, will it work with HD via cable?

Not sure what you're referring to, but, yes, both Fusion 5 and MyHD MDP-130 will tune NTSC and DTV (OTA and clear-QAM) stations. Neither is recommended for recording NTSC, but both can do so if carefully set up.
post #544 of 2932 Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM

I have read a little bit about the stuttering problems people have with lower end video cards. I too am getting some stuttering, even with a very strong signal (95- 100%). I have a P4 2.6 Ghz machine with 768MB RAM and an ATI 9700 Pro video card. This seems like it should be enough horsepower to get smooth video, doesn't it?

When looking at CPU usage, i see it at around 40%, then it drops to 5% when the stuttering happens. I expected to see the opposite! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #545 of 2932 Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Jeff--

Yes, IRQ conflict.
post #546 of 2932 Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 AM

Ah, ok.

Here i was thinking i NEVER had to worry about IRQ's for the rest of my life! HA!
Is there a link somewhere describing the problem and how to fix it under XP (actually, i'm running MCE 2005). Can you manually assign IRQ's to each piece of hardware or tell XP not to share the IRQ for the Fusion?

Maybe i should do some more reading, eh?
post #547 of 2932 Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can't manually assign IRQ values generally in machines set up using ACPI, but you can try shuffling PCI cards from one slot to another, which often changes the IRQ assignments.
post #548 of 2932 Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I put in my DVIco Fusion 5 Gold card yesterday. I am using Comcast Cable. Using the included software, I had recuring trouble when flipping through the channels. I then updated to the latest version, much better but still had problems. I did manage to find ABC-HD during all this and set up a recording to record "Lost". I accidentally put it in for 2 hours instead of 1. Turns out my DVR screwed up and didn't record "Invasion", but guess what, the DVico caught it! HAH! I love this card already!

Another bonus, I am tuning Music Choice channels. I've always wanted that on my desktop. Now I have it... sort of!

The only real problem I have with my shiny new card is that the auto-scanning of QAM channels manages to confuse itself. I can see that they tried a new channel numbering idea. I like it, but it's creating duplicate entries when there are more than 10 QAM subchannels. For example, it makes channel 1081 for both Channel 107, subchannel 10 as well as 108 subchannel 1. That wreaks all kinds of havoc when changing channels! Is there any solution to this? Anywhere where I can manually make up my own channel "numbers" to differentiate them? Are they stored in the registry or a data file somewhere?
post #549 of 2932 Old 10-13-2005, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobX View Post

... For example, it makes channel 1081 for both Channel 107, subchannel 10 as well as 108 subchannel 1. That wreaks all kinds of havoc when changing channels! Is there any solution to this? Anywhere where I can manually make up my own channel "numbers" to differentiate them? Are they stored in the registry or a data file somewhere?

no one has posted a solution, except to delete the unused duplicate channels from your config map in the control panal or just import the channels you use to the favorites list and use that list only. try the 3.0 software and the 3.11 threads.

-----------
post #550 of 2932 Old 10-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Well, I've done something to upset the Fusion app. It's likely because I upgraded my ATI drivers, 'cause I'm now having the same stuttering problems that others had reported earlier in this thread. I've got a Radeon 8500, which has always worked perfectly fine. I updated my video drivers to the latest version available on ATI's site as of this past Wednesday (10/12/05). Now, when I try to watch either live or recorded content, my CPU goes sky high. Worse, when I ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, the fusion app totally freezes up.

Did we ever figure out what version of the ATI driver works well with the latest version of the Fusion app?
post #551 of 2932 Old 10-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspam View Post

Did we ever figure out what version of the ATI driver works well with the latest version of the Fusion app?

Maybe.
post #552 of 2932 Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Installed Fusion 5 Lite and was only able to scan 3 digital channels (OTA). With my Voom box I'm able to scan 16 digital stations. Any ideas to be able to scan more channels?
post #553 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I used a beta version found in this thread and now get all the digital stations I'm suppose to get.
post #554 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APorter View Post

I used a beta version found in this thread and now get all the digital stations I'm suppose to get.

which beta version?

-----------
post #555 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MyHD's latest software (v 1.66) supports both analog and digital closed captions on NTSC and ATSC/QAM stations, respectively.

Are you saying the MyHD software will work with the Fusion card?

Does anyone have a link to the MyHD download site?
I only see version 1.65.2 available currently.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #556 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfoot View Post

Are you saying the MyHD software will work with the Fusion card?

No.
post #557 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No.

Dammit. Why the hell was I thinking that a post in the Fusion thread would include software that works with a Fusion card?

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #558 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dammit. Why the hell was I thinking that a post in the Fusion thread would include software that works with a Fusion card?

Maybe because you didn't read the question that I was answering in the first place?
post #559 of 2932 Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe because you didn't read the question that I was answering in the first place?

Quote:

i don't know of any other software providing "close captioning" for fusion cards yet. it would be a nice feature. i think the MyHD card's software supports "close captioning" for analog stations only. maybe using the search function here might turn up an answer.

What did I miss? I took the question AND answer to refer to software "FOR FUSION CARDS" only.

post #560 of 2932 Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What did I miss? I took the question AND answer to refer to software "FOR FUSION CARDS" only.

The answer actually was a clarification of the OP's misaprehension about MyHD's sw.
post #561 of 2932 Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 PM

So I want to buy the very best HDTV tuner card (regardless of cost) for a MCE 2005 and I would like to know the very best card? Is it the DVIco Fusion 5 ?

I have a Microsoft MCE remote so I guess I only need the Lite? Does the Gold offer any other better features beside remote control?
post #562 of 2932 Old 10-18-2005, 07:25 PM

I'm in the same situation as belevin. Here's the deal, I have Comcast + HDTV. I want to be able to do DVR through my PC. If I get the Fusion 5 (or the MyHD MDP-130), can I receive both SD and HD channels, including digital? Encrypted channels (i.e. HBO HD) are still impossible to receive, right? But I should be able to connect a coaxial cable to either card and receive all the standard channels?

OTA HDTV is not an option where I live, due to poor signal quality, and since I already have Comcast I really don't care. All I want is the ability to record HDTV at times. I'd like to record *all* HD channels, but it looks like that isn't an option right now.

Thanks!

Edit: I'm also still trying to figure out if MyHD or Fusion is better. I'm leaning towards the MDP-130 right now. Is that the better card?
post #563 of 2932 Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

MCE doesn't support QAM. So no matter what card you buy, you cannot record Comcast HDTV in Media Center, at least not yet.

The fusion5 itself with the Fusion software does work great with my Comcast service.
post #564 of 2932 Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrogdorJW View Post

Edit: I'm also still trying to figure out if MyHD or Fusion is better. I'm leaning towards the MDP-130 right now. Is that the better card?

Right now the MyHD card is clearly superior for what you're asking. It has a better method to setup QAM recordings, far more stable software and offers hardware based playback. The Fusion card offers more potential for the future in that someday the BDA drivers might allow programs like MCE, SageTV, etc., to support QAM.

BTW, I wouldn't give up on OTA reception. You don't need a great signal to get HDTV. If you're in a flat area without any major obstructions between you and the towers, you might get signal.
post #565 of 2932 Old 10-19-2005, 08:54 PM

I recently installed a fusion 5 lite in my htpc, and its been little more than dead weight. I can lock in all stations, but it seems I get much more frequent signal dropouts on on the htpc using the fusion than I do with my tv OTA tuner.

I'm 7-7.5 miles from the antenna farm in philadelphia. They're all coming from about the same direction too. I've got an old antenna on the roof currently hooked up, and I've bought a radioshack one to put up there when I get the chance thinking it might improve signal(considering the old one is rusted on solid and I can't move it an inch). I can tell that I get decent reception using the TV tuner with both the antenna on the roof and the new one on the living room floor currently. I get frequent drop outs on the htpc with both of these antennas.

My question here is this: Would getting a different tuner card( an avermedia) improve my tuning?

Other related questions: Why am I not able to receive a glowing 100% signal since I'm less than 10 miles from these broadcasts? I do have large trees surrounding the house that are above the antenna on the roof. I'm reluctant to buy another antenna in hopes that it'll do the job when I've tried four( an indoor radioshack cheap antenna, and a terk POS indoor antenna). Would a signal amplifier help me out? I could try one from radioshack.
post #566 of 2932 Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

I am very confused about Fusion cards and QAM - I've heard lots of stories of inconsistent results. There seem to be a few versions of the Fusion 5 cards and a bunch of Fusion 3 cards. Which has the best QAM support?

I'm not using MCE. This will be a second HD card - I plan to put it into the same machine as my myHD card. Can someone confirm that the Fusion's TP files correctly play on the myHD decoder?

I appreciate the assistance.

Kevin
post #567 of 2932 Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avekevin View Post

I am very confused about Fusion cards and QAM - I've heard lots of stories of inconsistent results. There seem to be a few versions of the Fusion 5 cards and a bunch of Fusion 3 cards. Which has the best QAM support?

I'm not using MCE. This will be a second HD card - I plan to put it into the same machine as my myHD card. Can someone confirm that the Fusion's TP files correctly play on the myHD decoder?

I appreciate the assistance.

Kevin

in my experience with the fusion 3gold-t card, qam has more to do with the cableco and the version of fusion software. i have excellent picture quality and recording quality using version 3.00.08(a beta version ). the only reason i keep checking other versions of the fusion software is to get other enhancements to the software working. reading the other two main fusion threads relating to the software may be more helpful to you.

-----------
post #568 of 2932 Old 10-20-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avekevin View Post

I don't think it really matters for all that's available new is the Fusion 5. I have the 3 and it recorded QAM fine for the short period I tried it (about a week). In any case, I've never heard one is better than the other at QAM.

The MyHD card will play the files. On some systems, some files won't FF/REW properly due to time issues being messed up. You can drag the status bar to move forward and back in time, which is not as convenient, but better than having to sit through all the commercials. On my system it's 10% or less of the files that have this issue, but I think some others have reported larger percentages.
post #569 of 2932 Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM

Signal checker program not working on Fusion 5 lite.

I managed to ressolve the stutter problem, the Fusion doesn't like to share IRQs well. I still can not get the signal checker utility program to function properly. I can watch TV with the Fusion app and get strong signals of around 100%, but the signal checker utility doesn't find squat. I'm trying OTA at the moment and not QAM.

I wouldn't care about this so much, except that I'm also trying to get this thing to work in SageTV and when I install the fusion in sage it won't tune digital channels OTA. It doesn't pick up any signals, but will tune if installed as an analog tuner. I'm not sure if its a problem with my card/system, or if I need to have a license from a previous version of Sage to get OTA HD to work on the RC13-- which I don't.

Suggestions?
post #570 of 2932 Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post

I wouldn't care about this so much, except that I'm also trying to get this thing to work in SageTV and when I install the fusion in sage it won't tune digital channels OTA. It doesn't pick up any signals, but will tune if installed as an analog tuner. I'm not sure if its a problem with my card/system, or if I need to have a license from a previous version of Sage to get OTA HD to work on the RC13-- which I don't.

Suggestions?

How are you getting RC13 to work at all without a license?

It's actually RC3, 3.0.13. RC4, 3.0.14 is out today.

Here's a wild guess as to a solution, although your symptoms are not the same as mine. Do not use the SageTV audio codec.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page