Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2932 Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amendegw View Post

I now can get Titan TV to launch FusionHDTV and change the channel, but only if I customize Titan TV to a pseudo channel number. Problem is: I can't figure out the logic in assigning these pseudo channel numbers. Here's what I've found through trial-and-error:

Scan Tuner Titan
D1110 1110.1 1111
D1180 1180.1 1183
D1191 1191.1 ????

Can someone help me fill in the blanks? Or better yet, enlighten me with an algorithm to determine the channel number Titan needs in order to tune to a Fusion channel.
Jerry

Yee seek the holy grail.
My cable provider pushes local HDTV, but titantv does not include those channels in the regular lineup. Therefore, I too cannot schedule HDTV recordings through titantv. I manually schedule stuff via the DVIco interface. I, however, hate their buggy software. Am trying to get a PVR setup under Linux right now (which has its own scheduling issues, but fewer crashes).
BTW, how did you do that pseudo channel mapping?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2932 Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ctane View Post

Octane,

On the Titan TV Program Grid you should see a "customize" button in the upper righthand corner. Click there and you will be taken to a web page that contains a column "CH #" where you can change the channel number for the specified call sign.

Good Luck,
...Jerry
post #633 of 2932 Old 12-04-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ctane View Post

I need to update. I've done mucho more trial-and-error and there is no consistancy between what I map the Titan TV channel number to and the channel FusionHDTV switches to. It will even switch FusionHDTV to "Antenna" mode from "Cable" and go to an analog channel. Let's hope Dvico fixes this in the not-to-distant future.
...Jerry
post #634 of 2932 Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM

hi,
i just bought this fusion 5 lite card just to watch OTA HD and am very disappointed so far.

It tunes about 10 channels, so thats good.

But on my P4 2.53Ghz with built in accelerated Intel 845G graphics, the CPU load is near 100% when playing any HD, in WMC, BTV4, and FusionTV, and the picture freezes and skips and is totally not watchable.

I am guessing that my video card is the problem but i want to confirm before i shell out more $$ for something that may not work.

The 845G uses 128MB of main memory for video ram, and has hardware acceleration set to full with Write Combining enabled. WMC graphics and games are all fast, so I had thought this would work.

Would a Nvidea 5200 FX get rid of this problem and reduce the load to near zero which is what i want? Or would a Nvidea 6xxx series be better at getting me to zero load b/c I see it supports HD in some sense where the 5200 does not?

Or is there some other problem altogether and I'm on the wrong track?

thanks much
steve

EDIT - I just did some more testing:

Using BTV4 or WMC, the load is so great that the entire Windows GUI comes to a halt, the video freezes after playing fine for 5 seconds, and I must force terminate the players to regain any control of the computer.

Using Fusion app (the one included with the 5 Lite), the load is still at near 100%, but the video at least continuously plays (albeit with some stuttering every 5 seconds or so), and the rest of Windows remains operable...ie there is no need to force quit Fusion. I could reasonably watch TV this way, if I didnt mind the frequent skips and 100% load.

EDIT-- I tried switching b/w the 3.11 and 3.12 drivers, back and forth. At this point, with either one, I am in even worse shape. With Fusion, I tried with both DxVA on and off. I think thats HW or overlay on/off? At one point it worked either way, but now I get "Overlay not available" and no audio in Fusion with DxVA on, and audio only with DxVA off.
post #635 of 2932 Old 12-05-2005, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, a faster video card would help a lot. I don't know about BTV, but the Fusion app will work nicely with the Nvidia MX-440 even, so it should be fine with anything faster/newer (assuming no driver incompatibilities). BTV4 seems not to like to run with the MX-440, so you may want to look at their specified requirements before buying a card.
post #636 of 2932 Old 12-05-2005, 11:53 PM

thanks tpeterson.

should i be using the Fusion 3.12 CD drivers or the latest web download, 3.11?
it is odd the the web has an older version.

is this Geforce Purevideo of the 6200 series better in the application of offloading CPU?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce6200_agp.html

or would the 5200 FX series do as well?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

somehow in the process of all my uninstall/reinstalling fusion, WMC now no longer works and gives me the message where the video should be (even PVR150 video) -- "A critical Media Center process" has failed or some such...please contact your hardware vendor...wonderful :-)

I don't know how to proceed in fixing this WMC error now, things have gotten a bit worse.... i'm getting ready to pull the old 13" b&w set from the garage lol.
post #637 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindhacker View Post

thanks tpeterson.

is this Geforce Purevideo of the 6200 series better in the application of offloading CPU?

somehow in the process of all my uninstall/reinstalling fusion, WMC now no longer works and gives me the message where the video should be (even PVR150 video) -- "A critical Media Center process" has failed or some such...please contact your hardware vendor...wonderful :-)

I don't know how to proceed in fixing this WMC error now, things have gotten a bit worse.... i'm getting ready to pull the old 13" b&w set from the garage lol.

I know very little about video card specifics--I generally try to stick with cheap ones.

Try using System Restore to go back to a time before you installed the Fusion sw to fix MCE.

Watch for the release of FusionHDTV3.2, which I expect to happen soon, and try that instead of either of the other versions.
post #638 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 AM
A2D

Finally, I finished reading this thread and I am about to pull the trigger.
From what I read, I am leaning toward Fusion 5 Lite since I only care about HD channels.
It seems that there is NO difference at all between Lite and Gold for HDTV viewing and recording. Can any one confirm this?
Gold can convert TS to MPEG2 while the Lite cannot. However, is this MPEG2 HD format or just DVD format?
If we want to transfer the recorded HD to DVDs (only for storage, not for DVD players), do I need the software/hardware from Gold?

Thanks!
post #639 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

I know very little about video card specifics--I generally try to stick with cheap ones.

yeah me too :-) thats why i wanted to use my built in intel extreme graphics chip.
i dont get it...WMC sees it as accelerated, and it shows up as having 128MB of RAM, so i'm not clear why i really need a better card.

i'd hate to buy a new card and only have the same problems.
i feel like i'm just throwing more $$ into the mix hoping problems will go away.
i am this close to returning both the Fusion 5 Lite and the PVR150, which I only bought since WMC needs it to see the Fusion.

i did manage to roll back System Restore and get WMC runnable again so thats good.
But even so, WMC at its best only shows the PVR150 picture maybe 1 in 10 times. And the Fusion5 the same, except dropping video/sound like crazy.

The most frustrating this about this is that the Fusion support is in non existant and the BeyondTV support has no phone number and WMC who knows. I am so frustrated right now

I don't know what to do. To me, this seems like multiple unrelated problems. Like driver related, as if I am not using the best driver for each card. Is it really likely all these problems will go away with a different video card?

BTW, before I installed the Intel Extreme 845G accellerated drivers, WMC would not run at all. It said that I needed a better video card to use WMC... so I kind of took that to mean that my 128MB built in video (from my 1GB main memory) was sufficient. Ahhh...I wish i hard some more data points before making yet another possibly poor purchase.

EDIT - is my 2.53Ghz 133FSB (OCd to 2.85Ghz 150FSB) just too slow to play back 720p/1080i sources? I know that MS recommends at least a 3.0Ghz machine to play back 1080p.
post #640 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I have used the fusion5 (gold) with a 5200FX in an AMD Athlon 2800 system with 512mb ram - no problems / cpu load is around 45-50% on 720p and about 45-45% on 1080i..

I now use the fusion 5 with a geforce 6600 heatpipe - so its silent and an amd64 3000+ venice core with 512 mb ram - cpu at 720p is at 30% and 1080i is at 25%

jim

Quote:

thanks tpeterson.

post #641 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yeah me too :-) thats why i wanted to use my built in intel extreme graphics chip.
i dont get it...WMC sees it as accelerated, and it shows up as having 128MB of RAM, so i'm not clear why i really need a better card.

i'd hate to buy a new card and only have the same problems.
i feel like i'm just throwing more $$ into the mix hoping problems will go away.
i am this close to returning both the Fusion 5 Lite and the PVR150, which I only bought since WMC needs it to see the Fusion.

i did manage to roll back System Restore and get WMC runnable again so thats good.
But even so, WMC at its best only shows the PVR150 picture maybe 1 in 10 times. And the Fusion5 the same, except dropping video/sound like crazy.

The most frustrating this about this is that the Fusion support is in non existant and the BeyondTV support has no phone number and WMC who knows. I am so frustrated right now

I don't know what to do. To me, this seems like multiple unrelated problems. Like driver related, as if I am not using the best driver for each card. Is it really likely all these problems will go away with a different video card?

BTW, before I installed the Intel Extreme 845G accellerated drivers, WMC would not run at all. It said that I needed a better video card to use WMC... so I kind of took that to mean that my 128MB built in video (from my 1GB main memory) was sufficient. Ahhh...I wish i hard some more data points before making yet another possibly poor purchase.

EDIT - is my 2.53Ghz 133FSB (OCd to 2.85Ghz 150FSB) just too slow to play back 720p/1080i sources? I know that MS recommends at least a 3.0Ghz machine to play back 1080p.

You didn't mention before that you can't even view the NTSC picture! That's a piece of cake in comparison to the HDTV pix and should be easily doable with the mobo's graphics chip. You have still some configuration problems in that PC that have nothing to do with FusionHDTV.
post #642 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 AM
A2D

Here are the differences between Gold Lite from Dvico's website.
- Fusion converter: Converts HD stream to DVD or DivX (Gold)
- Ulead Video Studio8SE DVD bundle for DVD writing (Gold)
- Remote (Gold)
- 10 bit (Gold) vs. 8 bit ADC (Lite) for analog
- AanalogTV Setreo (Gold)
- D-VHS Support (Gold)

According to the paper, there are no differences for HDTV viewing and recording. The only differences are in analog viewing and DVD conversion (to a lower resolution?).
Any comments?
post #643 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The lite has D-VHS support. No analog inputs. $20.00 for a remote.
To be delivered soon. My older fusion2 still works great!

HDTV or BUST
post #644 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 PM

yes, i agree there are multiple problems.

the pvr150, while not working at the moment, has worked, and worked without undue load, so i'm less worried about that.

whats frustrating are the version numbering systems used here. dvico has seemingly out of order#s and so does the hauppage pvr150.

what is the best version # for dvico to use?
3.11 from the web?
or
3.12 from the CD?
post #645 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yes, i agree there are multiple problems.

the pvr150, while not working at the moment, has worked, and worked without undue load, so i'm less worried about that.

whats frustrating are the version numbering systems used here. dvico has seemingly out of order#s and so does the hauppage pvr150.

what is the best version # for dvico to use?
3.11 from the web?
or
3.12 from the CD?

Neither. Download the 3.2Web version that was posted last night. But until the PC will display NTSC smoothly, I wouldn't bother messing with an HDTV app.
post #646 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

a geforce 6600 heatpipe - so its silent

Which make/model? I'm in the market for one.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #647 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

GIGABYTE GV-NX66128DP

bought it from newegg - but they dont seem to have it anymore - $107

http://www.gigabyte.de/VGA/Products/...-NX66128DP.htm

very nice card for hdtv and with the new nvidia drivers.. no powerstrip
post #648 of 2932 Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

GIGABYTE GV-NX66128DP

bought it from newegg - but they dont seem to have it anymore - $107

http://www.gigabyte.de/VGA/Products/...-NX66128DP.htm

very nice card for hdtv and with the new nvidia drivers.. no powerstrip

Dag. I need an AGP card. The gigabyte that NewEgg is currently stocking is $170, which is almost double what I'm willing to pay.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #649 of 2932 Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 PM

thanks jim for the benchmarks.

yes, tp, i got the ntsc pvr105 working now, not a problem.

i reread their manual and their clearly state than even intel extreme built in graphics should be more than enough....so i dont think me buying a new video card will solve the current problems...

i'm hopeful these new dvico drivers make a difference....dl now..
post #650 of 2932 Old 12-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Liked: 12
Cool.
Let us know if it fixes it.
I'm pretty much in the same boat,I have a HTPC that works great with a P4 2.4Ghz /ATI AIW8500DV for DVD watching and I was not planning on upgrading my video card for HDTV.
Is there anybody out there who can confirm the Fusion 5 could work with a P4 2.4Ghz / ATI 850DV ? I'm only interested in OTA HDTV.
Thanks,

BluRay HTPC / BenQ W6000 / Integra 9.9/Emotiva XPA-5 / Sonus Faber Olympica III / RSC200 center/ SVS PB12+

What else do I need?

post #651 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 02:15 AM

afaiac this fusion is a waste of my time....poor drivers, poor support and poor documentation.
i have reinstalled windows 3 times today
i simply cannot get it to work.
fusion5 complains about no overlay on a black screen.
btv4 shows a picture only to load 110% cpu so i must kill the computer power to regain control...

very frustrating... no phone#s to call, and the dvico support website is down
post #652 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EDIT - is my 2.53Ghz 133FSB (OCd to 2.85Ghz 150FSB) just too slow to play back 720p/1080i sources? ...

is it possible that the overclocking setting has caused a timing conflict with the pci bus speed, where your fusion lite pci card resides??

-----------
post #653 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

afaiac this fusion is a waste of my time....

If you're in this to watch HDTV and not to tinker with HTPCs, I fully agree with you. You should find another time investment.

BTV4 evidently requires a very beefy video card (and doesn't support properly "3D acceleration" AIUI). I've seen the same problem with my MX-440 NVidia card.
post #654 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

thats the truth... I have spent more time tinkering with the htpc then I have wathing hd or movies on it.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

If you're in this to watch HDTV and not to tinker with HTPCs, I fully agree with you. You should find another time investment.

BTV4 evidently requires a very beefy video card (and doesn't support properly "3D acceleration" AIUI). I've seen the same problem with my MX-440 NVidia card.

post #655 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Kindhacker, read my response to the following post: here

I've read about many people having the 'stuttering/pausing' problem and I think it all boils down to a problem with IRQ assignments. This problem baffles me. I should think that XP and the card should work properly together and have no conflicts. I have also read that some have this card running smoothly with no problems, so I start to think that we maybe screwed something on the install.

If I hadn't managed to get 1 hour of HD nirvana last night after I had hacked my OS and BIOS to bits trying to assign IRQs (I hate those things), I would be in the same boat as you and want to get rid of this card. I know this card works, I just have to iron out the wrinkles so that everything on my system works together. After spending hours trying to get it working, and also after a messy divorce brought about by wife neglect , I am confident that I will be able to watch crystal clear HD.
post #656 of 2932 Old 12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeken View Post

Kindhacker, read my response to the following post: here

I've read about many people having the 'stuttering/pausing' problem and I think it all boils down to a problem with IRQ assignments. This problem baffles me. I should think that XP and the card should work properly together and have no conflicts. I have also read that some have this card running smoothly with no problems, so I start to think that we maybe screwed something on the install.

If I hadn't managed to get 1 hour of HD nirvana last night after I had hacked my OS and BIOS to bits trying to assign IRQs (I hate those things), I would be in the same boat as you and want to get rid of this card. I know this card works, I just have to iron out the wrinkles so that everything on my system works together. After spending hours trying to get it working, and also after a messy divorce brought about by wife neglect , I am confident that I will be able to watch crystal clear HD.

i have two fusion pci cards installed in my system and one shares an irq with the video card, with out the problems being discussed here. here's a link to a post showing a device manager scan showing the irq assignments .

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6686156

-----------
post #657 of 2932 Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Liked: 11
I don't own a Fusion but have been looking into them and have some basic questions, maybe someone can clarify. According to their manual:

Supports PIP (Picture in Picture)
The FusionHDTV multicard is like having two TVs in one! With the Picture in Picture (PIP) function you can now watch two of your favorite programs all on a single screen...

This language is confusing, is "The FusionHDTV multicard" a single discreet product or do they mean any two Fusion HDTV products in the same system? Secondly, if "multicard" is two unique cards, can one be setup for OTA and the other for QAM and (most importantly) does it work reasonably well? Thanks for any feedback.
post #658 of 2932 Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Starsky--

DVICO's language is always confusing because we're not reading them in korean.

The "multicard", AIUI, is a not-yet released product that will have two tuners on board. The current PIP function requires two separate FusionHDTV devices (PCI or USB). On fast enough hw it works "reasonably well" for live TV (assuming that you define "reasonable" similarly to the way I do). The recording functions, esp. for QAM, are still rather flaky. Oh, and PIP doesn't yet allow you to use cable on one device and OTA on the other.
post #659 of 2932 Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM

I have a question about the OTA performance of the Fusion Lite HDTV tuner.
I installed v. 3.20 software a few days ago, which has improved the stability
to the point where I can watch both OTA and Cable QAM without any issues.
Prior v. 3.11 always crashed the program on certain OTA channels.

Since I now have the OTA working properly, I ran some comparison test with my
Toshiba 37HL95 HDTV receiver which has both ATSC and QAM tuners built in.
It receives all the HD broadcast channels that transmit from the Empire State
building without any problems with my outdoor antenna.

With the same antenna the Fusion card has difficulty with both NBC and CBS.
It finds the channels alright, but the signal is not strong enough to produce a
picture. Even the channels that are received ok seem to be teetering on the brink.

The set-up here is : Athlon XP 3200, 1 Gb PC3200 memory, Radeon 9600 AGP
video card on a Nvidia NF2 Ultra 400 MB. I run Windows XP operating system.
I have never experienced stuttering and the PQ is excellent on HD on the
channels that I can receive, both OTA and Cable.

wb
post #660 of 2932 Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

wbrack--

You might want to try DVICO's diagnostic tool TSBrowser2, which is linked with usage tips here to see if it may give better reception on some of your stations. The thread containing that post has lots of information about the current issues with FusionHDTV sw.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page