DVICO Fusion 5 HDTV tuner - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2932 Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
And Sheesh. My point is that the A/V inputs are not lacking (although inaccessible) on the F5L product, which was the statement in reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2932 Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The A(udio) port is lacking, as I said, and the V port is intentionally blocked off. The clear DVICO intent is that the F5 Lite product is not for analog capture. The original poster was confusing that with NTSC capture. There are enough real reasons for pause over a Fusion purchase without adding phantom ones.

{Edit: I went back and looked at my F5 lite card again and realized that I had mistaken the A/V dongle plug for a standard S-Video one, such as was on the older Fusion cards. So the blocked off port on the F5 lite has both A and V conductors but requires a nonstandard connector to present standard audio and video connections, even with the header unblocked. If you actually need analog captures, I recommend that you not count on using the F5 lite card}
post #723 of 2932 Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

There are enough real reasons for pause over a Fusion purchase without adding phantom ones.

There was nothing phantom or ficticious about my statement of fact. Fact: The Fusion Lite also has an A/V input, but it is inacessisable because of the back riser bracket. If you remove said bracket, you can attach any appropriate A/V input dongle (such as that from the other Fusion cards, an ATI AIW card ... ) and the inputs will work provided proper software support.

Quote:

The clear DVICO intent is that the F5 Lite product is not for analog capture.

On the model shipped to North America, I might tend to agree that that may have been their intent. However, that does not in any way diminish the factuality of my statement. As for the Fusion 5 Lite models sold in Korea, the answer is a big fat no.

Quote:

The original poster was confusing that with NTSC capture.

Yes I am aware of that. And, as per usual, you provided a helpful response to the poster's confusion.

You did, however, introduce an inacurrate statement in your reply to the OP. It should be abundently clear that I provided a clarified description of the physical product. It was a statement of fact - nothing more, and nothing less.
post #724 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cityk--

The "phantom" caveat had to do with NTSC capture, not your diversion about the hidden AV input. Calm down.
post #725 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK View Post

Fact: The Fusion Lite also has an A/V input, but it is inacessisable because of the back riser bracket. If you remove said bracket, you can attach any appropriate A/V input dongle (such as that from the other Fusion cards, an ATI AIW card ... ) and the inputs will work provided proper software support.

well that is interesting, as i understand your observation, the lite can be used like the gold version if you un-block the port for the dongle. so, how about just removing the bracket and drilling a hole big enough to plug in the dongle, then replacing the bracket. what else is different?

-----------
post #726 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the 8bit vs 10bit thingy...

HDTV or BUST
post #727 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post

well that is interesting, as i understand your observation, the lite can be used like the gold version if you un-block the port for the dongle. so, how about just removing the bracket and drilling a hole big enough to plug in the dongle, then replacing the bracket. what else is different?

Even if the A/V port behind that blank header is fully functional (an untested hypothesis, AFAIK) the lite version would still lack the ability to use the Fusion Converter (besides the fact that one would have to track down a [nonstandard] dongle for the port). I personally would prefer to pay the extra dollars for the gold board to be sure of what I was getting, rather than to take chances on modding the lite version.
post #728 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 AM

I unpluged all other USB plugs I had connected maknig only the one 2.0 USB connection for the Fusion HDTV5 USB still causing the same problem. Do you think I might have a defective unit or may there still be a conflict with my PC ?
post #729 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if the unit is defective because I didn't understand your previous post and you didn't answer my questions, so I'm still in the dark.
post #730 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cityk--

The "phantom" caveat had to do with NTSC capture, not your diversion about the hidden AV input. Calm down.

I'm cool.
post #731 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

• Mike already referred to one difference: the processing performed by the A/V decoder (F5G uses 10bit Conexant cx2388x vs. F5L's 8bit Conexant 878A)
  • I'm also not certain, as I mentioned, on whether audio in would be stereo with the F5L, as I don't think the 878A has a audio muxer supporting stereo input (I could be wrong, but not concerned enough to review the datasheeet at this moment in time....for what its worth, I raised this very point on the dvb mailing list awhile back, but the driver developer said he was pretty sure it was stereo audio .... eventually I'll follow up on this)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson" View Post

Even if the A/V port behind that blank header is fully functional (an untested hypothesis, AFAIK)

No, fully tested. See here for the initial report. S-video support was added to CVS shortly afterwards ... and now, of course, is natively available for inclusion in 2.6.15 kernels.

I don't know how much tweaking would be required to get it to work for Windows users, or with what appropriate software would be required. You can, however, see that one AVS user posted their partial success (in this very thread) ... however, those who see the cup as half empty might equally be discouraged by those same results
post #732 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Oops, forgot to mention:
Quote:

besides the fact that one would have to track down a [nonstandard] dongle for the port).

Actually, I believe that the input port used with this card is a standardized design (for break-out-box connectors or dongles) ... there are, of course, many other cards that feature non-standardized ports for their dongles or breakout boxes
post #733 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... there are, of course, many other cards that feature non-standardized ports for their dongles or breakout boxes

like the dongle port on my nvidia "personal cinema" card i'm using for a video card.

-----------
post #734 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM

AVS Special Member

Posts: 3,491 I don't know if the unit is defective because I didn't understand your previous post and you didn't answer my questions, so I'm still in the dark.

<<Sorry...I just purchased a Radio Shack High Speed 4 Port USB 2.0 Hum..no luck same result...I will need to return unit as it might be defective.
post #735 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

like the dongle port on my nvidia "personal cinema" card i'm using for a video card.

Yes, exactly. You most likely have the 40pin male connector as shown and discussed here.

However, not all nividia personal cinema style cards are/were like that. I have an Asus 7100 Deluxe Combo which, while still very functional, also serves to commemorate the first generation design of Nvidia's forray into the "All-in-wonder" market. You can notice the A/V input in the pics here. If you spot a remarkable similarity in appearence between that found on the Asus (and other cards of the same pre "Personal Cinema" moniker generation) and that on say, oh, the ATI HDTV Wonder, you're not mistaken. Well, at least my input port and break-out box aren't Barney purple

Edit: actually I guess: http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2...a/index.x?pg=2 and http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2...a/index.x?pg=6 are interesting for comparison too. And I guess "break-out-box" isn't a good way to describe the devices either; as its more like break-in-boxes.

Anyways, I digress. Back to our regular scheduled Dvico Fusion 5 programming.
post #736 of 2932 Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...You most likely have the 40pin male connector ...
Anyways, I digress. Back to our regular scheduled Dvico Fusion 5 programming.

yes and yes, before someone notices how far off topic we have gone.

-----------
post #737 of 2932 Old 01-09-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV2006 View Post

I recently purchased the Dvico HDTV5 USB and I'm having slight problems tuning all the over the air channels. Even with a 90 signal for certain New York HD channles my PC shuts off. any ideas what might be happening ? could the unit it self be defective ? I am using Windows XP Professional 256MB 40GB.
One other mention on another TV channel, D5 2 (WWOR-DT) the signal is near 95 but only comes in with audio and black screen..anyone know if this is the station or could it be my software or tuner ? Again most of my HDTV 2 channels come in ok when signal is good..however HDTV 1 channels cause pc to freeze and shut off. Do I need to return unit ? Help here is very much appreciated

HDTV2006, I purchased the Dvico HDTV5 USB last week and saw the same problem on my machine using the fusion software on a particular channel. (OTA)

Previous to purchasing the USB Dvico, my machine NEVER - I repeat NEVER crashed (I built the PC about a year ago). I was stunned to see a Blue screen of death and the pc reboot after tuning to that channel. I saw two occurances that night, otherwise it seemed to handle the channel ok. I subsequently ditched the Dvico software in favor of using the stable MCE application whcih has been working quite well with the Dvico USB for the OTA HD channels.

FYI: I am running Win XP MCE 2005 on an AMD 64 3200+ with an ATI AIW 9800 pro - 1 gb of ram and sata storage. ASUS K8NE-deluxe motherboard.

MY GUESS is that the reboot issue is caused the horrible DVico software as opposed to the hardware itself.

I read most of this post prior to buying, so I was prepared for the issues, and my plan is to use it under the media center app, so i wasnt too scared to buy. The quality is excellent when you get it working.

I WOULD like a workable Dvico application however, so that I could use the device to capture my digital (COX) cable and HD channels (with the obvious exception of premium channels). I am hopeful that the gang in this forum will continue to work through the issues with this vendor, who obviously hire miserable programmers...

post #738 of 2932 Old 01-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpcman View Post

.. I am hopeful that the gang in this forum will continue to work through the issues with this vendor, who obviously hire miserable programmers...

Or the miserable company that doesn't provide the fantastic programmers an environment where they can excel. No, I don't work for 'em, I just know that mediocre programmers can do wonders in the right environment (the right tools, management, processes, checks/balances), and great programmers can get mired in the muck if their employer allows dumb things (no controls, no oversight, too few people, etc). Bottom line: blaming the programmers is probably not fair. Maybe we should take-up a collection and send over a caseload of the book "Ship It!" by Richardson and Gwaltney.

--Dale--
post #739 of 2932 Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think that we're too far away from that black box to espy what ills are therein.

To those who'd condemn DVICO's sw efforts, I'd recommend, before reaching a final verdict, trying to develop realtime sw that works flawlessly from 15k miles away with your only feedback coming to you in a language you barely understand.

I am well impressed with DVICO's sw and DxVA MPEG-2 decoders, for example, as very efficiently done. None of the other MPEG-2 decoders that I've tried comes close to the efficiency of theirs. (FusionHDTV works very well on a Celeron 2.4 GHz system with an Nvidia MX-4000 to display 1080i and 720p HDTV. Most other filters I've used have somewhat jerky HDTV play and some are downright unwatchable on this hardware)
post #740 of 2932 Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So I got a Fusion 5 Lite HDTV tuner (PCI) for Xmas and I'm loving it. I'm using it with MCE and an antenna (Haven't even tried Qam yet, but probably wont even bother until vista and cable card).

The only problem i'm having is one channel is not coming it great (NBC). If i move my antenna one foot, then it comes in fine, but ABC doens't. I'm trying to find the perfect spot, but MCE's interface is slow and annoying when i'm trying to fine tune the reception.

This card is really working nicely for me, and I just thought I'd throw that out there!

Grant
post #741 of 2932 Old 01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Grant, you may find that DVICO's "signal checker" is a better tool for seeking the optimum signal.
post #742 of 2932 Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Grant, you may find that DVICO's "signal checker" is a better tool for seeking the optimum signal.

Agreed...

GrantMeThePower - I also use MCE with the card, and found that using the Fusion sw for positioning the antenna was far easier...
post #743 of 2932 Old 01-10-2006, 05:22 PM

Does anyone have any experience, using the nvidia 6200 video card ,with the FUSION HDTV application. However using that card it in the hardware acceleration mode actually increases the processors activity rate, at times to over 100% in the task managers performance window vs using the nvidia MX-440 video card were the average activity rate is between 20% to 40% I only purchased the 6200 card for use in PINNACLES STUDIO 10 which needed a 3D capable card and would not recognize
the MX-440 for HDTV editing. I also borrowed a nvidia 5200 card with the same result
will 3D capable cards work with the hardware acceleration mode that FUSION requires using the non hardware acceleration, mode processor activity averages 60% to 85%, do I have to swap cards for each application? anyone's advice will be appreciated!
post #744 of 2932 Old 01-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencom View Post

Does anyone have any experience, using the nvidia 6200 video card ,with the FUSION HDTV application. However using that card it in the hardware acceleration mode actually increases the processors activity rate, at times to over 100% in the task managers performance window vs using the nvidia MX-440 video card were the average activity rate is between 20% to 40% I only purchased the 6200 card for use in PINNACLES STUDIO 10 which needed a 3D capable card and would not recognize
the MX-440 for HDTV editing. I also borrowed a nvidia 5200 card with the same result
will 3D capable cards work with the hardware acceleration mode that FUSION requires using the non hardware acceleration, mode processor activity averages 60% to 85%, do I have to swap cards for each application? anyone's advice will be appreciated!

I have an XP2600 cpu and 6200 video card with component out to my TV. Using hardware acceleration my cpu load goes down as it should. I don't have recent stats for you (I am currently trying MythTV in Linux), but back when I tested the demo program, it allowed me to keep the quality settings maxed. Without it, I had to drop to the low or mid setting.

Gary
post #745 of 2932 Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM

[quote=gmanning]I have an XP2600 cpu and 6200 video card with component out to my TV. Using hardware acceleration my cpu load goes down as it should. I don't have recent stats for you (I am currently trying MythTV in Linux), but back when I tested the demo program, it allowed me to keep the quality settings maxed. Without it, I had to drop to the low or mid setting.

I have AMD 64 3000+ set-up must have a bad 6200 video BFG technologies card and BFG did not answer my E-MAILS and waited 45 Min. on there support line and got no response. I have other concerns about their product other factors indicate possibly a defective card. I'm in a quantry on what to do next. maybe $145.00 down the drain
post #746 of 2932 Old 01-12-2006, 05:40 AM

The 5200 didn't work either? Try getting the latest drivers and all that jazz.

My Gold+ actually raw worse when I checked the Handware acelleration at first. (AMD 64 2800, 512Meg ram) I reinstalled both NVIDIA and Fusion and it eventually worked just fine. Get the drivers from the NVIDIA site and not the 3rd party that might have made the card.
post #747 of 2932 Old 01-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondeath View Post

The 5200 didn't work either? Try getting the latest drivers and all that jazz.

My Gold+ actually raw worse when I checked the Handware acelleration at first. (AMD 64 2800, 512Meg ram) I reinstalled both NVIDIA and Fusion and it eventually worked just fine. Get the drivers from the NVIDIA site and not the 3rd party that might have made the card.

Thank you for the tip, unfortunately I am using nvidia driver 81.98, the latest driver from there website, I wish there was more information, on how to deal with these situations, its hard to diagnose these kind of problems without much to go on. except, to use the support lines. I will try reinstalling fusion but might wait a few days for a updated version.
post #748 of 2932 Old 01-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Has anyone gotten 2 Fusion 5 USBs working with Media Center (MCE) 2005 Rollup 2?

MCE seems to work fine with one, but starts acting funny when the 2nd tuner is introduced (tuner not available, no tv signal, other intermittent problems). The two tuners seem to work fine with the Divco software using PIP. This is with the official 3.2 drivers from the website.
post #749 of 2932 Old 01-27-2006, 08:31 PM

I just got this card bundled with the silver sensor and I'm having bad results. I can only get fox to come in smooth, even though I have UPN, WB, and CBS within 4 miles. All of these channels either stutter or just don't display. I get between 50-70% signal strength on them.

Advice? ZIP = 35213
post #750 of 2932 Old 01-27-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy View Post

I just got this card bundled with the silver sensor and I'm having bad results. I can only get fox to come in smooth, even though I have UPN, WB, and CBS within 4 miles. All of these channels either stutter or just don't display. I get between 50-70% signal strength on them.

Advice? ZIP = 35213

Hmm. I'm having trouble with this one. Only the WB affiliate out of that list is apparently at a low power level, but you shouldn't have problems with that, either, at that distance. All the stations involved are UHF, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is the antenna as high as possible and aimed in the direction of the towers?

Is there a major hospital nearby? An airport? Tall buildings in the way?

You might want to check in this thread, too:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=3368052
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page