post #811 of 2932 Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnrg View Post

I played with it last night a bit on my second machine, since I have the USB. When I did the channel scan, it found all the stations, but had no guide data. After going to each station, the DViCO software added the information it got from the stream into the guide. After going through all the stations, I had all the guide information. Be sure to display it on each one. At least for me, it pulled it off the air.

xsnrg,

Yes, it is a new HTPC for me... Yes, I scan all the stations but when you mean "going to each station" do you mean I have to see the TV then for few seconds and scroll to next one? I probably did not watch every channels there and that maybe why it did not oull in the EPG there. Will try - thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2932 Old 03-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tell me about this pre-amp you added. price, model, how installed, etc. How far is your antenna from your fusion?
post #813 of 2932 Old 03-03-2006, 03:37 AM

Latest, I read somewhere about the fusionHDTV5 USB GOLD drawing close
to the max current from the USB port and I should try another port.
I switched from the rear port to a front port and sure enough the signal
was stronger based in the fusion software signal indicator. I also emailed
DVIco on my low sensitivity issue. In there reply they told me to try another
USB port but didn't say why. I can only explain the results as lower current/voltage
might not have had the circuitry working 100%.

The preamp I added prior to the USB port change is made by Radio Shack. It really
is a distrubution amplifier with variable gain model 15-1113. (VHF/UHF)
After the USB change I put the amplifier back in line and also notice more
signal. The channels I receive now are solid and no less than 70% signal with
several at 100%. The amp is located only about 10 feet from the computer.
Amps are normally postioned at the antenna to help not only pre amp the RF
signal but make up for the loss of coax. Where I have my amp located
is not working as well as if it where located at the top of my tower where
the antenna is.

The antenna I use is not a UHF TV antenna. It's a Ham Radio Antenna (Vertical)
designed for 50MHz,144MHz, and 440MHz. I live in a high altitude area which
helps. We still have snow on the ground here so it will be a month or two
before I can install a new 8 bay antenna I just picked up

KKTVRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbair View Post

Tell me about this pre-amp you added. price, model, how installed, etc. How far is your antenna from your fusion?

post #814 of 2932 Old 03-03-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"High altitude area"...in Rhode Island?
post #815 of 2932 Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Huh? Presumably you live in the same zip code as your antenna.... ?

Ha! Well, _I_ thought it was funny! But it's a difficult concept.... text data through the same antenna I used for Ozzie and Harriet? Yes, true. We've come so far, while not going so far.
post #816 of 2932 Old 03-04-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
does anyone elses fusion 5 gold (pci version) get really warm - almost hot to the touch in the case?
post #817 of 2932 Old 03-05-2006, 02:35 AM

I didn't see your model pre-amp listed in the current RS online catalog. But, I do have this model RS preamp I bought a year ago but haven't gotten around to installing it. I no doubt will now that warmer weather is finally approaching. My existing 120" boom RS antenna "weather vaned" back in November due to high winds and I haven't been able to get out on the roof. I'd like to replace that with their 160" model RS 160" antenna . I think that coupled wtih the pre-amp ought to do the trick to pull in our stubborn channel 3-1 HD CBS station.
post #818 of 2932 Old 03-05-2006, 02:18 PM

I can not get the program to pause. The pause button is not lit. In the configuration menue under timeshift the "record to file" under timeshit is also grayed out (not sure if this is related). I am using Windows 2000 but this card is clamed to work.

Thanks for any help
post #819 of 2932 Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_S View Post

I can not get the program to pause. The pause button is not lit. In the configuration menue under timeshift the "record to file" under timeshit is also grayed out (not sure if this is related). I am using Windows 2000 but this card is clamed to work.

Thanks for any help

what version of the fusion app are you using?

-----------
post #820 of 2932 Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 AM

Dvico has just told be that time shift only works with HDTV input. I am try to use it on S-Video. They make it sound like its a problem with there application software so I am hoping that some other software like SageTV will work with the card.

If Anyone is using S-Video pause with this card, please advise what software you are using. Thanks
post #821 of 2932 Old 03-06-2006, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dvico has just told be that time shift only works with HDTV input. I am try to use it on S-Video. They make it sound like its a problem with there application software so I am hoping that some other software like SageTV will work with the card.

If Anyone is using S-Video pause with this card, please advise what software you are using. Thanks

you might have want to read and post to the fusion software thread as it appears better suited to your quest than the hardware thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7072693

-----------
post #822 of 2932 Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bob--

All of the HDTV tuner cards' sw depend upon the input's being a Transport Stream (i.e., DTV, already compressed into MPEG-2 form) to perform their Timeshifting tricks. If you want those from NTSC (analog) TV, you'll need to get an NTSC tuner (with hw MPEG convertor).
post #823 of 2932 Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 AM

I lost my two OTA HDTV channeles last week. I upgraded all my drivers to the latest ones a few days before and I believe that I verified that all worked well but am not 100% sure. This is the only change that I made on my machine.

Tha channel recpetion for the two channels was above 90%. I have yet to verify channel signal but I got a confirnation they are still broadcasting on another forum.

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem after upgrading their drivers.

Thanks

Ianic
post #824 of 2932 Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 PM

You might try installing the preamp instead of at the antenna but near the
computer. It won't make up for the cable loss but if the preamp is any
good it might let you get a few channels you did not before.

KKTVRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbair View Post

I didn't see your model pre-amp listed in the current RS online catalog. But, I do have this model RS preamp I bought a year ago but haven't gotten around to installing it. I no doubt will now that warmer weather is finally approaching. My existing 120" boom RS antenna "weather vaned" back in November due to high winds and I haven't been able to get out on the roof. I'd like to replace that with their 160" model RS 160" antenna . I think that coupled wtih the pre-amp ought to do the trick to pull in our stubborn channel 3-1 HD CBS station.

post #825 of 2932 Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 AM

I installed my Fusion5HDTV lite last night and only scanned 2 analog channels and they were in black and white.
Did I do something wrong? I currently subscribe to adelphia digital cable. I took the cable off my cable box and plugged it into the caputre card.
Before I installed the card I downloaded and ran the latest drivers from the divco site.
A regular analog TV will tune ~80 analog channels if plugged into the same cable, but the fusion5hdtv only finds 2?
Any ideas?
post #826 of 2932 Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You need to apply the HRC frequency overrides to your TS0-1 Registry key. Get the .reg file from the DVICO ftp site.
post #827 of 2932 Old 03-07-2006, 09:53 AM

I'm a newbie here. I just got a Fushion 5 Gold and installed it last night. I want to use it as part of a HTPC connected to Time Warner. I was able to get a few digital channels via QAM, but I'm having problems with program guides...TitanTV, Meedio. Can anyone help me get started?
post #828 of 2932 Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:

You need to apply the HRC frequency overrides to your TS0-1 Registry key. Get the .reg file from the DVICO ftp site.

Wow thanks! Worked like a charm!
post #829 of 2932 Old 03-07-2006, 04:23 PM
dd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwiler View Post

I'm a newbie here. I just got a Fushion 5 Gold and installed it last night. I want to use it as part of a HTPC connected to Time Warner. I was able to get a few digital channels via QAM, but I'm having problems with program guides...TitanTV, Meedio. Can anyone help me get started?

I don't believe TitanTV works correctly with QAM on Fusion. I cannot reliably use Titan to schedule recordings on my QAM connection. I have to manually schedule all recordings using the EPG function of Fusion.

For guide purposes, I customized TitanTV with the appropriate Fusion channel numbers so at least I have correct information there.
post #830 of 2932 Old 03-08-2006, 04:12 AM

installed preamp - no change what so ever with the signal strength for that stubborn low freq channel 3-1 CBS station. Highest I can get it is around 80% with frequent lock ups. did I waste my money?
post #831 of 2932 Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It seems that that Chicago CBS DTV station is a problem for FusionHDTV. I don't know if it's the fact that it's a low-band VHF station (which is a rarity) or what.
post #832 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM

I also wonder if I wasted money buying the fusion 5. I have yet to notice any improved reception over fusion 3. TPeterson - the only CBS channel available in my area is on a low VHF channel 3-1. WWMT The local HD enthusiasts have about given up on them.
post #833 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 06:51 PM

I don't know if this is an issue with my new DViCO FusionHDTV 5 USB or my video card (nvidia 7800gt pci-ex), but I've been getting blue screen instant crashes ever since I started using the tuner. So far it seems to only happen when I'm changing settings/channels and only in full screen mode. It may be with my video card b/c I had this issue when outputing video to my tv w/ the 7800 but haven't had the problem since.

Any ideas?
post #834 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Inositle--

Huh? I can't make any sense of your post. What are you seeing (BSOD or not??) and what is your question?
post #835 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Inositle--

Huh? I can't make any sense of your post. What are you seeing (BSOD or not??) and what is your question?

Yeah, it's BSODing randomly when I'm watching HDTV with the DViCO software. I also had this problem happen in the past, but it's always been related to playing videos.
post #836 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inositle View Post

Yeah, it's BSODing randomly when I'm watching HDTV with the DViCO software. I also had this problem happen in the past, but it's always been related to playing videos.

OK, I guess I now understand you. If you see BSOD with Fusion and other sw during MPEG video output, I'd say that you need a different video driver.
post #837 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 PM

I hate it when ppl do this but sorry I have to- I've read this entire thread and there are contradictions I think should be settled re: the Gold vs. Lite cards:
Earlier in the thread it was stated that Lite could record analog tv just fine.
Later on it was stated that analog tuning would be poor quality with the Lite.
Earlier on it was stated that the difference was the lite did not have the same Decoder, then later it was stated the difference was the analog 'Encoder'. Then someone else pointed to what sounded like the analog tuner.
Sheesh I'm getting dizzy here.
Can someone please clearify these differences.
Also, one thing ppl seem to agree on is the 'Converter' is missing on the Lite version. Can someone please clarify what the Converter does specifically.

I'm still deciding which to get, I'm getting an OTA antenna and will be watching primarily HD channels, but maybe analog occasionally if it looks 'ok'. I have an ATI Remote Wonder so may lean toward the Lite since I'm a student and on a tight budget.
Thanks!

AC
post #838 of 2932 Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

AC--

The tuners are the same "5th generation" LG tuner. The Lite version lacks:

1. Connector for NTSC (composite or S-vid) inputs (actually, it's there but blanked over).
2. The higher-bit A-to-D convertor for NTSC encoding (for recording).
3. The Fusion Convertor sw (for converting TS to lower-res stuff [MPEG, DVIX, etc.] for DVD, play on portable devices, etc.)
4. A ULead sw package of some sort that I forget the name of at the moment.

If the $50 price difference matters to you and you're not interested in capturing NTSC baseband video, I think you'll be just as happy with the Lite as with the Gold. IMO, NTSC TV looks terrible on a big screen but OK on a small screen, regardless of the source or the games played to mask noise, etc., so the A-to-D difference is a "don't care" for me.
post #839 of 2932 Old 03-10-2006, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AC--

The tuners are the same "5th generation" LG tuner. The Lite version lacks:

3. The Fusion Convertor sw (for converting TS to lower-res stuff [MPEG, DVIX, etc.] for DVD, play on portable devices, etc.)

i've seen this before and was wondering what it means. the converter program is a seperate app that is part of fusion package in all "beta" versions. does it not install if the "lite" tuner is used or does it not work with the "lite" tuner? does anyone have first hand knowledge of this?

-----------
post #840 of 2932 Old 03-10-2006, 06:49 AM

I've both the gold and lite version. The converter is installed with the lite version, but apparently the program checks the hardware installation (or something) and will not execute. I'm sure there is a workaround somewhere. I tried the converter once and I gave up, it runs at about 0.25x and I don't have patience for it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page