DVICO Fusion 5 HDTV tuner - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2932 Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been in contact with a DIvco engineer tonight about the F5 Lite scanning problem.

Has anyone with the F5 Gold card had a problem finding OTA channels on the scan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2932 Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Gold version, but I have yet to put up my antenna. I'll probably do it this weekend.

I will tell you then.
post #93 of 2932 Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 PM

Ok, I am a total n00b to this entire thing, no please bare with me. I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150MCE running Windows Media Center 2005. I have cable running to a STB, running to the card, and of course with an IR Blaster. I would like to purchase a Fusion 5 Lite, and run cable HDTV to this card. Now, I know I'm going to have to split the cable to run to the Analog tuner and the Digital tuner... but am I going to need an HDTV STB to get cable HDTV to the Fusion 5? And what is QAM? And is it supported in MCE2005? Thanks in advance.
post #94 of 2932 Old 06-07-2005, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHB
Just installed the F5 lite. I have the same prob where scanning wont pick up digital channels at all, none. I have to manually add them in. The good news is that with the F2, abc would stutter very badly but the F5 so far is stutter free . ABC on the F2 would drop signal from 68%-0 and just keep doing it.
HybridHB,

DVico just sent me a new tuner driver that fixed the OTA tuner scan problem on my F5 Lite card.

You need to unzip the two files into Program Files > DVICO > FusionHDTV > Driver folder and in Device Manager manually update the ZuluTune driver. It will be the non-BDA tuner driver listed in device manager properties.

878WHQL.zip 61.5263671875k . file
post #95 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

So far four pages about this thread and no one seems to be using MCE 2005 with Fusion 5. Anyone using Fusion 5 with MCE and does it work better than Fusion 3 as far as reception is concerned?

I know it's a little early but so far from reading this post, Fusion 5 LG 5th generation tuner seems to be more of a hype than for real when it comes to OTA reception. Thanks for being guienna pigs and I will most likely not buy Fusion 5. If you are not happy with Fusion 5 compared to other HDTV tuners you already own, I suggest you try to return Fusion 5 for a refund. It's not fair the way LG over-advertise their product making look like they found a cure to OTA reception (multi-path or not). It's like watching prescription medicine commercials.

I currently use MCE 2005 with ATI HDTV Wonder and AverMedia A180 and it now works great. I was having a small and sometimes annoying problem with one station in particular: FOX. The channel is 11-1 and RF Frequency channel is 44 (~651 MHz). I have indoor VHF (rabbit ears from Radio Shack) and UHF (Silver Sensor) antennae connected to special VHF/UHF combiner (Radio Shack #15-1237). The combiner is then connected to 4 way splitter to: 1) ATI HDTV Wonder, 2) A180, 3) Hauppauge 150MCE and 4) 60" XBR LCD rear projection TV. While watching FOX program, the picture would drop out and then come back while I am walking by or waving at the antennae. I could never figured out why until today. It was not multi-path, but it was the Silver Sensor UHF antenna. I replaced it with Terk HDTV antenna. Terk antenna is larger and taller than Silver Sensor. The picture no longer drops out while I walk by or wave my arms at the antenna. My house is not surrounded by tall buildings, tall trees or mountains (too far away). Now I can have a life, stop troubleshooting and enjoy watching perfectly clear HDTV programs (CBS, NBC, PBS, ABC, FOX, & UPN).

I also own Fusion 3 for backup in case other HDTV tuner(s) break. I have used Fusion 3 with ATI HDTV Wonder and MCE 2005 successfully, but I prefer my current setup.

Thoroughly check your antenna before purchasing Fusion 5.

Peter
post #96 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 AM

Got the card (F5G) today, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I'm in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn, on the 3rd (top) floor of a brownstone. I've had TERRIBLE, if any, reception with the various cards I've had in the past (AccessDTV, F3Q). Analog channels are usually a mess of mutipath, interference, and just generally crummy reception. Since I rent, I don't have the option of erecting an antenna external to the apartment. I have a Silver Sensor, as well as a few other cheapie, generic antennas.

I first setup the Silver Sensor on top of the shelf I have my PC on, and plugged it into the older Fusion 3 card I own. Nothing doing... I was getting 3-10db (11%-38%) depending on the channel, with the exception of a 19db/70% on channel 25 - though not even close to a usable signal. So I pulled the Fusion 3 and replaced it with the Fusion 5 Gold, and replaced the drivers with the 3.0b2 set shipped with the card. Using the same antenna in the same position... nothing doing. Signals were maybe 10% better than the F3, but again, nothing usable. Note that I wasn't aiming the Silver Sensor. So, I replaced the antenna with one of the cheapies. Still, no good. Maybe my impression that the 5th gen LG chip could use a paperclip for an antenna was a little far fetched.

So, I have some RG6/U (about 50ft) leading out to the fire escape. I setup the cheapie antenna out there and tried again. It was a little better, with signal strengths between 10% and 70%, but still NO video was being displayed. I was finally able to pick up ch. 28 (NBC) intermittently, but video was choppy. I then hooked up the Silver Sensor and pointed it in the rough direction of ESB. Finally, some video! But still choppy and not really watchable. But, as the night progressed, the signals became more and more usable. Signals in the 60-70% range were normal, and around 1:15am I started to get solid picture with very few dropouts on many channels. This is by far the best I've ever been able to accomplish on ANY HD tuner, but I wonder how much of this has to do with favorable propagation (I've always had better luck tuning HD at night).

I'm exhausted and really want to go to bed, but let's cut to the chase: the F5 does provide some better results, but it doesn't seem to me to be the miracle worker I had hoped for. At this point, I'm able to tune about six digital stations with the Silver Sensor outside the building, pointing at ESB. But let's wait until 8pm tomorrow when I try to record something.

UPDATE: As of around 9:30AM, I'm getting a number of channels at surprisingly strong levels. NBC at 85-99% (23.7-26.9db), FOX at 97% (26.3db), WOR @ 70%/18.8db, WPIX @ 86%/22.9db... and all with watchable pictures (no significant stuttering/jumping). I've never been able to getnything close to this with the F3 card. But others are still just not coming in at all. Can't get CBS, for example, at more than 26%/7.2db, and they've got what I'm told is a very strong signal.

Question: Is there any way to access the recording scheduler without launching the Fusion app? I'm often remote desktoped into my PC, and if I launch the Fusion app, it freaks out because of the weird display.

Question: People have mentioned RC3. Who did you email to get into this beta? I'm having issues with ABC causing the Fusion app to crash (well, more like an instant stop).
post #97 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHB View Post

Just installed the F5 lite. I have the same prob where scanning wont pick up digital channels at all, none. I have to manually add them in. The good news is that with the F2, abc would stutter very badly but the F5 so far is stutter free . ABC on the F2 would drop signal from 68%-0 and just keep doing it.

I don't know if this will help (because I haven't bought a 5 yet), but on my 3 it scans if I set the scan to digital only and QAM 256. It does crash a bit after getting past the local HD channels (which for me are 81-84), so I have to stop the scan after that point.
post #98 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspam View Post

I have a Silver Sensor, as well as a few other cheapie, generic antennas.

The Silver Sensor is a fairly directional antenna. You don't mention what the other "cheapie" antennas that you have look like. In your situation, a plain old loop antenna may be a good option to try out.

It's good to hear that you're at least getting SOME success with it as compared to the Fusion 3.
post #99 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 08:18 AM

My Fusion 5 Lite doesn't get delivered until later today, so I pimped out my DB4 for a little "ghetto" multipath rejection. To my utter amazement, this actually added 10% signal across the board! Check it out (needless to say, I am not married):
LL
post #100 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Watson View Post

HybridHB,

DVico just sent me a new tuner driver that fixed the OTA tuner scan problem on my F5 Lite card.

You need to unzip the two files into Program Files > DVICO > FusionHDTV > Driver folder and in Device Manager manually update the ZuluTune driver. It will be the non-BDA tuner driver listed in device manager properties.

Thanks but it wont install for me. Ill try anoher method later.
post #101 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks but it wont install for me. Ill try anoher method later.

HybridHB,

Just wait until DC gets a new full install software package posted later today.
post #102 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAdam View Post

... And what is QAM? And is it supported in MCE2005? Thanks in advance...

QAM is a type of digital transport signal used by cable companies to deliver TV to your cable box. QAM support means that your card can decode unencrypted HDTV QAM signals.
post #103 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM

Yea im about to install the whole package again. I copied the whole cd to my hd then replaced the 2 files in the drivers folder. Hopefully it works this time.
post #104 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Watson View Post

HybridHB,

Cliff, my guess is that this driver change improves channel scanning but does not affect performance after the tuner has "locked" on a channel--i.e., it doesn't change the outcome of the comparison tests you posted before. Is that correct?
post #105 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Cliff, my guess is that this driver change improves channel scanning but does not affect performance after the tuner has "locked" on a channel--i.e., it doesn't change the outcome of the comparison tests you posted before. Is that correct?

That is correct. For some reason it was not looking for 8VSB on the channel scan, now it does.
post #106 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nagy View Post

... I have indoor VHF (rabbit ears from Radio Shack) and UHF (Silver Sensor) ... the picture would drop out and then come back while I am walking by or waving at the antennae. ...

I see that Fox Reno has requested to stay on 44, http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...ility_id=48360
I whish they would use vhf-hi from Slide like everyone else, because people like rabbit ears.
post #107 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM

My F5 Lite arrived on Monday. I haven't had enough time to do any significant watching. However, my initial results are good. I live 45-50 miles away from the broadcast towers. There are no tall buildings nearyby, but there are a LOT of tall trees between my antenna and the direction of the towers.

I first tried an ATI HDTV Wonder back last November and could hardly get any watchable signals at all, so I returned it. The tuner in my Dish Network 811 receiver had no problem locking on and providing a watchable picture on most of the local digital channels. The F5 Lite performs about like the 811, I can lock on and get a watchable picture on most of the local stations.

So, it is a very unscientific test because its been half a year since I tried the HDTV Wonder. But ignoring the fact that it is summer now instead of winter, and that the stations might have changed the amount of power coming out of their towers (don't think they have, but you never know)... I believe the F5 Lite does have a better tuner for my situation at least.

And to those asking about MCE2005, that is what I am running with the F5. It appears to be working ok... but like I said I haven't had time to mess with it much, so I can't say for sure how well it works.
post #108 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post

QAM is a type of digital transport signal used by cable companies to deliver TV to your cable box. QAM support means that your card can decode unencrypted HDTV QAM signals.

Am I going to find any unecrypted HDTV QAM on my Time Warner Cable (Los Angeles area) or is it all going to all be encrypted? And can coax carry HDTV from a cable box to the Fusion 5? I'm looking to place an order with Digital Connection before noon, so they can ship it out today. So, I'd like to get some fast responses if possible. If I'm buying this thing, the reason I'll place an order this fast is so I can watch ArenaBowl XIX this weekend in HD... too bad my Los Angeles Avengers aren't going. Thanks guys!
post #109 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 AM

Anyone else use the new driver files and still cant pick up any channels? I still have to manually add the channels .
post #110 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyone else use the new driver files and still cant pick up any channels? I still have to manually add the channels .

Did you check device manager to see if all 5 drivers are properly loaded?
post #111 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 12:08 PM

Yup. Everything is installed properly. Its actually acting a bit weird now. If i scan the first time, it wont pick anything up. Scan a second time and it picks up 1 or two channels with decent signal (70-80%). Now if i keep scanning, itll either pickup the same 2 channels or not. The other channels that i do get (the ones i have to manually add in) have much stronger signal (90-100%). I dunno whats up with this thing. I know so far it works better but the software has a long ways to go.
post #112 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAdam View Post

Am I going to find any unecrypted HDTV QAM on my Time Warner Cable (Los Angeles area) or is it all going to all be encrypted? And can coax carry HDTV from a cable box to the Fusion 5? I'm looking to place an order with Digital Connection before noon, so they can ship it out today. So, I'd like to get some fast responses if possible. If I'm buying this thing, the reason I'll place an order this fast is so I can watch ArenaBowl XIX this weekend in HD... too bad my Los Angeles Avengers aren't going. Thanks guys!

Check the thread on your local cable provider in the local reception forum here at AVS.
post #113 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the city:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspam View Post

Got the card (F5G) today, and I've been playing with it for the past few hours. I'm in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn, on the 3rd (top) floor of a brownstone. I've had TERRIBLE, if any, reception with the various cards I've had in the past (AccessDTV, F3Q).
UPDATE: As of around 9:30AM, I'm getting a number of channels at surprisingly strong levels. NBC at 85-99% (23.7-26.9db), FOX at 97% (26.3db), WOR @ 70%/18.8db, WPIX @ 86%/22.9db... and all with watchable pictures (no significant stuttering/jumping). I've never been able to getnything close to this with the F3 card. But others are still just not coming in at all. Can't get CBS, for example, at more than 26%/7.2db, and they've got what I'm told is a very strong signal.

In the country:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post

My F5 Lite arrived on Monday. I haven't had enough time to do any significant watching. However, my initial results are good. I live 45-50 miles away from the broadcast towers. There are no tall buildings nearyby, but there are a LOT of tall trees between my antenna and the direction of the towers.
I first tried an ATI HDTV Wonder back last November and could hardly get any watchable signals at all, so I returned it. The tuner in my Dish Network 811 receiver had no problem locking on and providing a watchable picture on most of the local digital channels. The F5 Lite performs about like the 811, I can lock on and get a watchable picture on most of the local stations.

This is encouraging.
post #114 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Ok, I splurged and just bought the card... once it arrives (hopefully by Friday, since I have good experience with UPS Ground being fast, especially from somewhere as close as Huntington Beach) I'll check out QAM with cable, and if that doesn't do too well, I'll buy an antenna.
post #115 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just got the card, YAY!!!

Will report back the results tonight. But on a first glance, MAN THIS THING IS SMALL!!!

I've had My-HD100 and ATI HDTV and this thing is about half the size, which is really nice since I want to put this on a slot next to my Video card and hopefully won't block the GPU fan.

I have MCE2005, so I will be able to tell you how well it works with it.

Gameboy
post #116 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 01:15 PM

The title says it all. I live in the Valley (San Fernando Valley) in LA county and am considering getting a fusion 5.
Info:
I get NTSC OTA excellently as I am on the top floor of a 3 story building.

My rabbit ears have a loop as well.

I checked the web and I am 22 miles from the broadcast towers. I do not know what obstructions are present, but I have high hopes.

Any educated guesses? I'm not surrounded my tall buildings or lots of trees, just a mountainous range all around as I live in the valley.

What are my chances in picking up the whole range of channels crystal clear?

THanks
-Christontoast
post #117 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM

Glad to see I'm not alone here...

<--Granada Hills
post #118 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Cliff,
I'm having a high end HTPC built for me. I spec'd out the best of everything (with in reason) starting with a Silverstone LC14-MB and a Fusion 5 Gold from DC. The Fusion 5 arrived after everything was up and running with no problems. When they added the Fusion 5, it crashed big time. They ended up wiping the hard drive and starting over. The only question they had for me was, "do I need all of these remotes" (ATI Theater 550, MCE, Silverstone/ iMON and Fusion 5). My question is, could my "crash problem" be rectified by DC Fusion 5 update?

Patrick
post #119 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

for gameboy:

--I've had My-HD100 and ATI HDTV--

Don't split that signal too many times or you may not see much. Splitting a signal 3 times-- total-- inside and outside, is about all I would think about. Antenna signals aren't as strong as cable.
post #120 of 2932 Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bear89451 View Post

I wish they would use vhf-hi from Slide like everyone else, because people like rabbit ears.

Me too.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page