How to get bit perfect PCM and DD/DTS Audio in MCE2005 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 341 Old 05-03-2006, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone use Girder to switch inputs on your external process/receiver between the mobo digital out and the M Audio USB device? I'm wondering if this could automate switching the reciever's input based upon whether you're playing movies or music in MCE?

In the alternative, could I use the M Audio USB device for bit-perfect audio in MCE, and continue to use the M Audio for DD/DTS for movies by launching movies in theatertek from MCE via the MyMovies plugin?

For what its worth, I don't yet have MCE, but I am considering it for my next HTPC build. I currently have a M Audio Revo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 341 Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccloud View Post

Note for DCypher: You CAN get bit perfect audio from an Audigy 2. Go to Start/Programs/Creative/Soundblaster Audigy 2 and run "Creative Audio Console". On the "SPDIF I/O" tab, choose "44.1 Khz". On the "Bit Accurate" tab, select "Enable Bit Accurate Playback". The latter checkbox, however, MAY be reset when you reboot the machine (check after your first reboot). When these two settings are selected, you can get bit perfect audio over the SPDIF in WMP/MCE and anything else (without ASIO or Kernel Streaming)

-Jeff

I wasn't aware you could do this on the Audigy 2ZS - i will have to check it out. Do you know if this will allow AC3 passthru on the card, or do i need to manually switch it back when i want DD/DTS?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #93 of 341 Old 05-13-2006, 05:15 PM

I have great news!

I bought an MSI K8NGM2-FID mobo with AMD64 3000+ cpu to replace my aging Media Center PC. I just finished the build a couple of hours ago and one of the first things I tested was the onboard RealTek ALC 880 sound via coax spdif to my Panny digital receiver. And guess what.....

THIS ONBOARD SOUND ON A CHEAP $80 MOBO DOES BIT-PERFECT SOUND IN MCE FOR BOTH 48khz AND 44khz AND AUTO-SWITCHES!!!!!!!

That's right folks! I played "Toy Story" (48khz DTS) and the sample DTS wave (44khz) and both sounds come out perfect. My receiver's DTS light comes on and the frequency indicator changes between 48khz and 44khz as I switch back and forth.

I'm a very happy camper right now! No need to install my USB sound anymore. I still have yet to figure out how to bring the PC out of S3 standby using my Harmony remote. So, I'm back to working on it some more...

If you want to find out more about my setup, there is an excellent guide here which I followed (just read the first post).
post #94 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Congrats. What app did you use to play it?
I can get 5.1 when using WinDVD, but not when using MCE.
Any idea how I can get it to work?
post #95 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chung_chang View Post

I have great news!

I bought an MSI K8NGM2-FID mobo with AMD64 3000+ cpu to replace my aging Media Center PC. I just finished the build a couple of hours ago and one of the first things I tested was the onboard RealTek ALC 880 sound via coax spdif to my Panny digital receiver. And guess what.....

THIS ONBOARD SOUND ON A CHEAP $80 MOBO DOES BIT-PERFECT SOUND IN MCE FOR BOTH 48khz AND 44khz AND AUTO-SWITCHES!!!!!!!

That's right folks! I played "Toy Story" (48khz DTS) and the sample DTS wave (44khz) and both sounds come out perfect. My receiver's DTS light comes on and the frequency indicator changes between 48khz and 44khz as I switch back and forth.

I'm a very happy camper right now! No need to install my USB sound anymore. I still have yet to figure out how to bring the PC out of S3 standby using my Harmony remote. So, I'm back to working on it some more...

If you want to find out more about my setup, there is an excellent guide here which I followed (just read the first post).

Does 48kHz AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) pass through properly as well?

Great Anand link.

-Adam

"Stereo replay never actually reproduces a musical event. The only thing you can hope for is a credible illusion. But it can be a very nice illusion." -Bruno Putzeys
post #96 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 11:57 AM

I used MCE 2005 Rollup 2 with nVidia PureVideo set to spdif out to test everything.

It has played everything I've thrown at it so far:

44khz DTS (sample and ripped DTS music)
48khz DTS 5.1 ES (Toy Story 1)
48khz DTS 5.1 (Santana Live Concert)
48khz DD 5.1 EX (Finding Nemo)
48khz DD 5.1 (most movies and HDTV)
have I missed anything? Oh, and of course your typical stereo stuff.

I still can't get over how the sound card just simply locks in to the new sampling rate automatically without me doing anything! There are no skipping, stuttering or anything and believe me, I've sat and watched plenty over the weekend.

Now, isn't RealTek ALC880 a common sound chip on many newer motherboards? If so, then couldn't all of them do this? The driver came from RealTek, not something MSI hacked up. Are there any standalone PCI sound cards with this chip also? Then can't those do bit-perfect sound on any mobo then?
post #97 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

All Motherboards with HD-audio support and the Realtek 88x codecs are bit-perfect in my experience.

Even my new laptop with an HD-audio Realtek sound chip provides bit transparent playback on it's S/PDIF output.

Cheers

Thomas
post #98 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
would these solutions work for playing back wma lossless files?

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #99 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

They work for me in WMA lossless, FlAC, APE, etc..

Cheers

Thomas
post #100 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspf View Post

All Motherboards with HD-audio support and the Realtek 88x codecs are bit-perfect in my experience.

Even my new laptop with an HD-audio Realtek sound chip provides bit transparent playback on it's S/PDIF output.

Cheers

Thomas

Fascinating ...how did I miss the development (and release) of this apparently much-improved PC Audio specification?! I have not seen major press on this spec, which apparently has existed since 2004, but I'd say this amounts to a minor revolution in PC audio in stepping away from the old AC'97 spec and supporting bit-perfect audio out of the box. Admittedly, we're not mainstream audio consumers here. ;-)

Interesting read here: Intel HD-Audio Specification
From this page: Intel HD-Audio

Thomas, do you know if this implements bit-perfect output at the windows driver level as well? How does this get around Kmixer.sys?

Might just be time to upgrade my venerable Asus Nforce2 mobo in the HTPC...

Best,
Adam

"Stereo replay never actually reproduces a musical event. The only thing you can hope for is a credible illusion. But it can be a very nice illusion." -Bruno Putzeys
post #101 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I used MCE 2005 Rollup 2 with nVidia PureVideo set to spdif out to test everything.

I still can't get over how the sound card just simply locks in to the new sampling rate automatically without me doing anything! There are no skipping, stuttering or anything and believe me, I've sat and watched plenty over the weekend.

Now, isn't RealTek ALC880 a common sound chip on many newer motherboards? If so, then couldn't all of them do this? The driver came from RealTek, not something MSI hacked up. Are there any standalone PCI sound cards with this chip also? Then can't those do bit-perfect sound on any mobo then?

That's pretty much the gamut of normal digital audio to throw at it. Good show!

I'll try to do a little more research to verify a few more motherboard/chipset/driver combinations before we pronounce HD-Audio as the magic formula, though it sure sounds like we have another winner.

Sounds like I'll be updating my post above with another solution for those with newer HD-Audio compliant motherboards...congratulations and thanks for sharing this find!

-Adam

post #102 of 341 Old 05-15-2006, 05:35 PM

No prob. I wasn't expecting this board to do bit-pefect but when I saw a sampling rate "auto lock" button in the driver, it got me curious. Glad I tested it. Now, I have to untrain my wife from switching the receiver inputs.
post #103 of 341 Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Cheers

Thomas

My motherboard has a Realtek ALC658, and is supposedly HD audio (though not sure). I installed the latest Realtek drivers (A387 = 5.10.0.6070) and I don't see any sampling rate auto lock feature in the properties page. The ALC658 specs say it supports 44.1k and 48k but there is no software setting visible... I cannot get passthrough of DTS wav files. Any tips?

Thanks,
Jason
post #104 of 341 Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Cheers

Thomas

Does anyone know if the Realtek 850 is bit-perfect? I am looking for a new motherboard and the only ones that are nForce4 Ultra seem to have the Realtek 850 on-board sound. I would like to find an 880 board but I don't need the matx form factor and would rather have 4 pci slots.

Any board suggestions?

Aaron
post #105 of 341 Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcomand View Post

My motherboard has a Realtek ALC658, and is supposedly HD audio (though not sure). I installed the latest Realtek drivers (A387 = 5.10.0.6070) and I don't see any sampling rate auto lock feature in the properties page. The ALC658 specs say it supports 44.1k and 48k but there is no software setting visible... I cannot get passthrough of DTS wav files. Any tips?

Thanks,
Jason

You are using a newer driver than mine. I think mine is 5.10.0.5354 ? (R1.37)

I double-click the audio icon in the taskbar, then click Audio I/O, Digital, there is a button in the lower right hand corner for Auto-lock. I had to click on it once after installing the driver, then everything worked automatically after that. Good luck.
post #106 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 AM

Oh, too bad. I tried A387 5.10.0.6070 and R137 5.10.0.5910 and my menus look different than yours. There is no "Audio I/O" tab. Just "SPDIF In" and "SPDIF Out" and no auto lock option. Was it really 5.10.0.5354 that you have? I coudn't find it. It's probably my chip, not the drivers, but one can always hope...
Thanks,
Jason
post #107 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasket View Post

Does anyone know if the Realtek 850 is bit-perfect? I am looking for a new motherboard and the only ones that are nForce4 Ultra seem to have the Realtek 850 on-board sound. I would like to find an 880 board but I don't need the matx form factor and would rather have 4 pci slots.

Any board suggestions?

Aaron

In case anyone is interested, I did find another RealTek 880 motherboard with no on-board graphics and more pci slots at NewEgg:

AOpen nCK804Ua-LFS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

But it has some other faults. So, I'm still looking around.

Aaron
post #108 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Oh, too bad. I tried A387 5.10.0.6070 and R137 5.10.0.5910 and my menus look different than yours. There is no "Audio I/O" tab. Just "SPDIF In" and "SPDIF Out" and no auto lock option. Was it really 5.10.0.5354 that you have? I coudn't find it. It's probably my chip, not the drivers, but one can always hope...
Thanks,
Jason

Sorry. It's 5.10.0.5253.

Attached is a screenshot.
LL
post #109 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the ALC658 and ALC850 are older AC97 sound chips.

The nforce4 chipset does not support HD-audio anyway.

Sorry

Thomas
post #110 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Does anything happen if you reduce the volume below 100% in MCE while playing 44 kHZ DTS audio? If not, that means that DTS WAV is somehow recognized as encoded material and is being passed through unmolested.

However, I'm still skeptical as to whether you're truly achieving bit-perfect for 2 ch. PCM (CD audio) with this setup. Unless you're bypassing kmixer altogether, which requires using ASIO or WDM drivers, there will still be digital volume adjustment applied to all PCM audio.

It seems to me that achieveing bit-perfect with encoded material using onboard sound is nothing new, EXCEPT for 44.1 kHz DTS audio that was problematic because most older AC97 codecs can't output digital audio at 44.1 kHz (and resample to 48 kHz). Although you gain this possibility with the Realtek HD codecs (plus the autoswitching), I don't think you are outputting bit-perfect PCM. But if I'm wrong I'd love to be corrected, for indeed it would be great news.
post #111 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

Does anything happen if you reduce the volume below 100% in MCE while playing 44 kHZ DTS audio? If not, that means that DTS WAV is somehow recognized as encoded material and is being passed through unmolested.

However, I'm still skeptical as to whether you're truly achieving bit-perfect for 2 ch. PCM (CD audio) with this setup. Unless you're bypassing kmixer altogether, which requires using ASIO or WDM drivers, there will still be digital volume adjustment applied to all PCM audio.

It seems to me that achieveing bit-perfect with encoded material using onboard sound is nothing new, EXCEPT for 44.1 kHz DTS audio that was problematic because most older AC97 codecs can't output digital audio at 44.1 kHz (and resample to 48 kHz). Although you gain this possibility with the Realtek HD codecs (plus the autoswitching), I don't think you are outputting bit-perfect PCM. But if I'm wrong I'd love to be corrected, for indeed it would be great news.

I think you might be right!

The way I tested for kmixer is to re-enable sound effects under MCE (dings and such while navigating menu). If I played a 44khz DTS music, navigating the menu will cause the music to momentarily drop and then resume. I conclude this behaviour as bypassing the kmixer which results in only one sound source to be played through the audio device at any given time. Also, I tested your suggestion of changing the master audio volume. It had no impact to the music at all like you said.

Now, here is what really puzzled me. I played a 44khz stereo music. My receiver indicates a 44khz source which suggests the sound is not being upsampled to 48khz by Windows (kmixer?). I also changed the master audio volume and it had no effects on the music which again suggests no digital volume molestation by Windows (kmixer?). However, if I navigated through MCE menu while the music is playing, the dings and the music can both be heard at the same time without interruptions as if they were being mixed by Windows (kmixer?)

So, what exactly is happening here? No upsampling or volume molestation but definitely getting mixed. Can kmixer mix sounds but not upsample or control volume? Is it remotely possible that this Realtek HD codec is doing the mixing and still bypassing kmixer? I don't know. I'm confused.
post #112 of 341 Old 05-19-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:

I think you might be right!

The way I tested for kmixer is to re-enable sound effects under MCE (dings and such while navigating menu). If I played a 44khz DTS music, navigating the menu will cause the music to momentarily drop and then resume. I conclude this behaviour as bypassing the kmixer which results in only one sound source to be played through the audio device at any given time. Also, I tested your suggestion of changing the master audio volume. It had no impact to the music at all like you said.

Now, here is what really puzzled me. I played a 44khz stereo music. My receiver indicates a 44khz source which suggests the sound is not being upsampled to 48khz by Windows (kmixer?). I also changed the master audio volume and it had no effects on the music which again suggests no digital volume molestation by Windows (kmixer?). However, if I navigated through MCE menu while the music is playing, the dings and the music can both be heard at the same time without interruptions as if they were being mixed by Windows (kmixer?)

So, what exactly is happening here? No upsampling or volume molestation but definitely getting mixed. Can kmixer mix sounds but not upsample or control volume? Is it remotely possible that this Realtek HD codec is doing the mixing and still bypassing kmixer? I don't know. I'm confused.

Well it sure sounds like kmixer IS being bypassed so long as you're playing a single source -- either DTS wav or regular PCM -- because the Windows volume control has no effect.

kmixer can function happily at 44.1 kHz, it is because of the codec that audio gets resampled to 48 kHz. So yes, it can mix without resampling. However, it can't mix or even pass a single source without applying digital volume correction, so that even at 100% volume you're really getting something like 99.9% (ie very small attenuation).

What happens if you play PCM music, lower the volume volume below 100% and THEN add system sounds on top of it? Does the volume dip while the system sound is playing simulatneously? If so, that would mean that kmixer is being bypassed so long as there is a single source playing and no mixing is required, but it kicks in when mixing is required, causing a dropout in DTS wav playback, but no noticeable effect in PCM playback unless the volume is set much lower than 100%.

If that is the case, your findings would make sense and confirm that you ARE in fact getting bit-perfect PCM for music too!
post #113 of 341 Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 AM

I'm having some problems acchieving bit perfect playback on my PC.

I'm running the Audigy 2ZS, which, according to previous posts is actually capable of bit perfect playback.
Via MII12000 mini-itx mother board (VIA CLE266 chipset)

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Go to Start/Programs/Creative/Soundblaster Audigy 2 and run "Creative Audio Console". On the "SPDIF I/O" tab, choose "44.1 Khz". On the "Bit Accurate" tab, select "Enable Bit Accurate Playback".
  • Downloaded and installed the ASIO_out.dll. Set the card as my card and for Gapless Audio, I also increased the buffer to it's max to start with. I copied over the SSE version of the .dll since I've learned that my chip is equivilant to about a PIII.
  • Installed ASIO4ALL, and increased the buffers to their max to start with

Now, I'm having a problem. When I hit play on Winamp, nothing happens. It will act like it's going to play, but it just doesn't. Not quite sure how to describe it. It's like it can't find the file to play or something...

have I done something wrong? have I set-up something incorrectly?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks,

Jan
post #114 of 341 Old 05-20-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

Well it sure sounds like kmixer IS being bypassed so long as you're playing a single source -- either DTS wav or regular PCM -- because the Windows volume control has no effect.

kmixer can function happily at 44.1 kHz, it is because of the codec that audio gets resampled to 48 kHz. So yes, it can mix without resampling. However, it can't mix or even pass a single source without applying digital volume correction, so that even at 100% volume you're really getting something like 99.9% (ie very small attenuation).

What happens if you play PCM music, lower the volume volume below 100% and THEN add system sounds on top of it? Does the volume dip while the system sound is playing simulatneously? If so, that would mean that kmixer is being bypassed so long as there is a single source playing and no mixing is required, but it kicks in when mixing is required, causing a dropout in DTS wav playback, but no noticeable effect in PCM playback unless the volume is set much lower than 100%.

If that is the case, your findings would make sense and confirm that you ARE in fact getting bit-perfect PCM for music too!

Thanks for the explanation. I tested as you have outlined above. Here is the strange part. No matter where I set the master audio volume to, both 44khz stereo music and windows sounds don't change volume. I even tabbed outside of MCE to play some windows sounds and master volume has no effects at all.

What does this mean? This is beyond me as I don't know how kmixer, master volume control and Realtek HD codec all fit and work together.

Here are my observations so far inside MCE:

* 44khz stereo music and MCE sound effects - both sounds are mixed together perfectly with no drops
* 44khz DTS music and MCE sound effects - DTS will drop out momentarily while MCE sound is playing
* 48khz DD movie and MCE sound efffects - no dropouts on DD but MCE sound is never heard
* Master volume control has no effects on any of the above
post #115 of 341 Old 05-21-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Jason

I think our different chips use different drivers. I just looked at the driver download section on RealTek's site and found out I have the latest driver for my ALC880 chip. Another strange thing is if you look at the screenshot I attached a few posts above, the Windows title says MSI. But I promise I downloaded my driver directly from Realtek. So, somehow, Realtek's generic driver is detecting which mobo I have. I find that very odd!
post #116 of 341 Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 PM

Chung_chang,

Thanks for your post. I too am using the alc880 chipset sound although I am using a Gigabyte board instead of the MSI board you are using. I am having problem getting the results you are getting. I seem to only get PCM out no matter what I try to do. I am using the nVidia bronze decoder. I want to ask if you could help me troubleshoot my problem a little bit.

1: In the realtek setup software, I see the "Auto Lock" button you are refering to in the SPDIF setup but clicking it doesn't seem to do anything. I have the SPDIF set to digital out only. When you play an audio file or DVD, do you have the information filed in for the sampling rate, data validation and copyright protection. No information is being displayed for me.

2: I doubled checked that the nVidia decoder is set to SPDIF passthrough. You stated above that you are not able to change the volume in media center, I seem to be able to do so which leads to believe that something is not getting configured properly. So what exactly to you see in terms of volume control in MCE when audio is set to SPDIF.

3: Are there any other steps that you went through other than setting the realtek software to SPDIF digital out and setting the nVidia decoder to SPDIF.

Any info you can provide is highly appreciated.

Thanks
post #117 of 341 Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAragornx View Post

Chung_chang,

Thanks for your post. I too am using the alc880 chipset sound although I am using a Gigabyte board instead of the MSI board you are using. I am having problem getting the results you are getting. I seem to only get PCM out no matter what I try to do. I am using the nVidia bronze decoder. I want to ask if you could help me troubleshoot my problem a little bit.

1: In the realtek setup software, I see the "Auto Lock" button you are refering to in the SPDIF setup but clicking it doesn't seem to do anything. I have the SPDIF set to digital out only. When you play an audio file or DVD, do you have the information filed in for the sampling rate, data validation and copyright protection. No information is being displayed for me.

2: I doubled checked that the nVidia decoder is set to SPDIF passthrough. You stated above that you are not able to change the volume in media center, I seem to be able to do so which leads to believe that something is not getting configured properly. So what exactly to you see in terms of volume control in MCE when audio is set to SPDIF.

3: Are there any other steps that you went through other than setting the realtek software to SPDIF digital out and setting the nVidia decoder to SPDIF.

Any info you can provide is highly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm using basic nVidia PureVideo and MCE rollup 2.

1. Sometimes I see info, sometimes not. I don't think it's reliable. In the very beginning, I had to push "Auto Lock" while a DTS source was playing. Then, everything started working after that even after reboots.

2. Correct. Volume control in MCE (or Windows) has no effects at all with any sounds for me. The volume indicator goes up and down but has no effects. I strictly use receiver to control volume.

3. Nope. It's a very basic load of MCE and drivers. Other than hitting that "Auto Lock" button once in the beginning, nothing else special that I can think of.

I assume you are using the latest RealTek driver (R1.37). Does your RealTek audio Window title say GigaByte (like mine says MSI)? No sure what else I can do to help you. Just let me know. Good luck.
post #118 of 341 Old 05-23-2006, 06:54 AM

Chung_Chang,

Thanks for your response. I do see the Gigabyte logo in the realtek software. I also loaded in the latest release of their driver.

I'll keep playing with it. I sure I'll get it to work at some point. I'll post back with any success.

Thanks,
post #119 of 341 Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAragornx View Post

Chung_Chang,

Thanks for your response. I do see the Gigabyte logo in the realtek software. I also loaded in the latest release of their driver.

I'll keep playing with it. I sure I'll get it to work at some point. I'll post back with any success.

Thanks,

Wow! RealTek driver not only detects what mobo the driver is installed on, it also has the company logo (Gigabyte, MSI) to go with it? I don't think the company logo is stored anywhere on the mobo if no board specific drivers have been installed. So, where did Realtek driver pull the MSI or Gigabyte graphical logo from? Pre-loaded as part of the driver?

I hope that's the only customization Realtek has done to their driver, and nothing else that would impede your ability to do bit-perfect over spdif.
post #120 of 341 Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 AM

How can I enable an SPDIF option in MCE? I only have Stero and SAP.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page