Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID
which third party software are you using that currently displays closed captions of ntsc signals?
Ulead Video@Home , for example.

Aeneas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
Ulead Video@Home , for example.

Aeneas
from what i find about ulead video@home, it is a product included with other usb tv devices. dvico already includes ulead video studio se with their products maybe they should include the video@home app instead.

-----------
post #243 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer
One more thing, the device is recognized only if I plug it in to the same USB port it was in when I installed the drivers. Is this normal? I'm not much of a Windows user, but I don't remember having that problem with any other USB devices. (It does ask to install the drivers if I plug it into a different port, but I don't want to try that without knowing whether it will cause a problem.)
This is a known issue in Windows -- it's not 100% consistent, but it will occasionally associate drivers with a given USB port (or, more accurately, a specific USB controller). The solution is to either plug back into the same port every time, or just re-load the drivers for each port as you change.

You stole a TV from me! I saw it on TV!
post #244 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 AM

Seem like another typical marketing ploy, the F5 and the F5USB are really quite different from each other. The F5USB should have been called the F6USB as a “new product lineâ€, separate and distinct from the already existing F5 product line.

Seems like the “heart†of the DiVCO F5USB, aka “BLUEBIRD†is the Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller. See following URL:

http://www.empiatech.com.tw/pro_em2880.htm

EM2880 USB 2.0 Hybrid Digital/Analog TV Controller : Provides hybrid tuner and video decoder to support both Digital TV and Analog TV with S-Video, Composite Video input on either external USB 2.0 box or embedded USB 2.0 TV card. EM2880 can be employed as the primary TV card or replace an existing primary TV card on any system running Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Major EM2880/2870 features as following: on chip USB2.0 PHY, Low power consumption, IR Remote decoder, Scaler (EM2880 only), CCIR-656/601 YUV format (EM2880 only), AC97 link and I2S interface (EM2880 only), TS stream interface to support digital TV broadcast. WHQL Certified BDA and A/V stream drivers, supports DVB-T, DVB-S, ATSC application, supports NTSC and PAL TV application (EM2880 only). Runs on Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 applications. Compatible with many leading third party multimedia applications such as Arcsoft Total Media, Cyberlink Power Cinema, InterVideo DVR 6, MetaMeida TV JukeBox, Showshifter and Ulead InstaMedia

The low power consumption and BDA driver establish these products as the perfect solution for both embedded notebook and desktop Multimedia PC applications.

June 1st, 2005: Empia Technology announced today that their EM2880 and EM2870 USB2.0 Audio and Video Controllers have received WHQL and USB-IF Logo Certification.

There are many more similar products that are manufactured, mostly for the Asian market; but who knows, some of these could also wind up in the US.

http://www.prolink.com.tw/english/pr...05%20DVB-T.htm

http://tven.terratec.net/modules.php...rticle&sid=236

http://www.lifeview.com.tw/cht/html/...walker_duo.htm

http://eng.changhongdigi.com/product/product.jsp?ID=78

So is it any wonder why DiVCO’s 3.1X software behaves differently on the F5USB the PCI versions?

From URL:

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans3#q7

High power devices are devices that draw more than 100mA from the USB power line, low power devices are ones that draw 100mA or less. High power devices are typically bus-powered cameras, bus powered hubs. Low-power devices are typically mice, keyboards, joysticks, and any devices that come with their own power supply (also known as self powered devices). Most general purpose hubs come with their own power supply as well and therefore are self powered. A subset of hubs called bus powered hubs gets power from the bus and therefore has the limitation of only supporting low power devices.

Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller draws close to 500mA, which is at the “upper end†of the USB2.0 specification.

Tim
post #245 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
Seems like the “heart†of the DiVCO F5USB, aka “BLUEBIRD†is the Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller.
Tim, how have you determined this? (cracked one open, drivers inf, correspondence with Dvico, speculation...?)
post #246 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK
Tim, how have you determined this? (cracked one open, drivers inf, correspondence with Dvico, speculation...?)
I am a "reseller", and have years of complex IT project management; thus I have access to "special query" tools that are not available to the public. Same applies for complete specifications.

Tim
post #247 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Are you sure your tools are not mis-identifying the Conexant cx25843?
post #248 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Are you sure your tools are not mis-identifying the Conexant cx25843?
It is a special tool just for USB BUS identification. It confirms Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller; I am sure it can "emulate" other tuners, but I have been unable to confirm this as yet.

Also all those links of similar devices use the Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller.

A consumer tool that provides simlar but slightly less detailed information about USB BUS details is at the following URL:

http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/index.htm

Try it, you do not have to "buy", quite informative.

It also may use the CX25840/1/2/3 Single-Chip Broadcast Audio/Video Decoder for video decode.

Tim
post #249 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Oops, sorry (I've got decoders on the brain :p ), I meant the Cypress CY7C68013A ... this is the usb bridge that Dvico lists the model as using on the Korean webpage.

But it is quite possible that it is employing the EM2880....the Cypress IC listing may simply be a "copy and paste" carry-over from the product description for the DVB-T USB.

Quote:
Seem like another typical marketing ploy, the F5 and the F5USB are really quite different from each other. The F5USB should have been called the F6USB as a “new product lineâ€, separate and distinct from the already existing F5 product line.

Seems like the “heart†of the DiVCO F5USB, aka “BLUEBIRD†is the Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller.
Actually, I don't think there is any difference in the frontend between the pci and usb Fusion 5's. Reception, therefore, should be identical between the two. It's turning to the backend that the differences arise, but this should only pertain to the quality of the analog signal.

As for the USB IC, its only functioning as a bridge to the usb bus. So, although its mighty crucial in the data flow, I wouldn't call it the heart, as signal processing will have been performed further upstream. As such, I wouldn't classify it as a marketing ploy. Afterall, the pci variants differ in their backends as well. I do agree that they all are different devices, but given their common ground, I can understand Dvicos lumping them together in the same family.

Quote:
A consumer tool that provides simlar but slightly less detailed information about USB BUS details is at the following URL:

http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/index.htm

Try it, you do not have to "buy", quite informative.
Thanks for the link.
post #250 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Oops, sorry (I've got decoders on the brain ), I meant the Cypress CY7C68013A ... this is the usb bridge that Dvico lists the model as using on the Korean webpage..
Probably an early reference design or pre production prototype, as by the USB INFO tool it is clear what the production hardware is, and since the Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller can handle almost all standards, I doubt there is any difference in country specific versions other than a firmware flash.

Quote:
But it is quite possible that it is employing the EM2880....the Cypress IC listing may simply be a "copy and paste" carry-over from the product description for the DVB-T USB.
Possible, DiVCO's documentation is really bad English. Above more probable.

Quote:
Actually, I don't think there is any difference in the frontend between the pci and usb Fusion 5's. Reception, therefore, should be identical between the two. It's turning to the backend that the differences arise, but this should only pertain to the quality of the analog signal.
Probably not, however, to keep size down, I suspect voltage regulation in the PCI version is "missing" in the USB version, and that is where we start comming into major issues.

Quote:
As for the USB IC, its only functioning as a bridge to the usb bus. So, although its mighty crucial in the data flow, I wouldn't call it the heart, as signal processing will have been performed further upstream. As such, I wouldn't classify it as a marketing ploy. Afterall, the pci variants differ in their backends as well. I do agree that they all are different devices, but given their common ground, I can understand Dvicos lumping them together in the same family.
Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller ia much more than just a USB2.0 BRIDGE, I have requested a detailed specification sheet from:

2332 Walsh Ave, Suite B , Santa Clara, CA 95051, USA
Phone:+408-988-1010, Fax:+408-988-1210

See BLOCK DIAGRAM attached.

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
No problem.

I am see other issues also, as the now removed directory (from DiVCO's partner FTP site) "MCE Testing" has yielded some additional information.

DViCO is not using the latest installation routines, Installshield 10.0.159, not current 11.0 with full MSI 3.X (Microsoft Installer) support. It is required for the "Designed For Windows. . ." certification.

Tim
LL
post #251 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Possible, DiVCO's documentation is really bad English.

(from DiVCO's partner FTP site)

DiVCO is not using the latest installation routines

Who is this "Divco" of which you speak? My card came from Dvico.

I've learned that there are three things not to discuss with other people: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
post #252 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangfoot
Who is this "Divco" of which you speak? My card came from Dvico.
TYPO -> DViCO - Many times above - I forgot to add to MS Word to auto-correct.

They (DViCO) may have the “misunderstanding†that if particular piece of hardware is MS certified and then that hardware is incorporated into a product that they are manufacturing (such as DViCO), that “end product†is “certifiedâ€. It is wrong assumption.

I must then pass a separate hardware certification, and if there is interface software, it also, must then pass the software certification for the “Designed For Windows. . .†logo.

Tim
post #253 of 345 Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Probably an early “reference design†or “pre production†prototype
Quite possible.

I'm wondering if the red design (as per shown on copperbox...its also seen on one of Dvico's sites) is available or if it was a prototype. It was the red model that tester PrinceVlad stated he had, but by the sounds of it everyone is receiving the blue-grey unit. Vlad also mentioned that it had the CY usb IC, but whether he knew that for a fact or was reposting the info from Dvico's site I'm unsure.

Quote:
Empia Technologies EM2880 USB2.0 Video Controller ia much more than just a “USB2.0 BRIDGEâ€, .... See BLOCK DIAGRAM attached.
Actually, there isn't much more to it's role in the device than as a bridge to the usb, and the block diagram accentuates this fact. Although it is capable of a few other tasks (colour processing, VBI sclicing, scaling), you wouldn't want it peforming such processing anyways, as those are tasks much better suited to the decoder. As such, it is highly unlikely that those additional features are being utilized.
post #254 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:
from what i find about ulead video@home, it is a product included with other usb tv devices. dvico already includes ulead video studio se with their products maybe they should include the video@home app instead.
As I have already mentioned, there is No Audio with Ulead or any other 3rd party software solution when they interface the FusionHDTV5 PCI device.
My query is whether there is the same failure of Audio when the FusionHDTV5 USB device is interfaced.
From what I have heard, there is not even a Line Input output connector on the FusionHDTV5 USB device.
Also, I want to know if this USB version of the device is capable of Closed Captions.

Aeneas
post #255 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It has been confirmed by Dvico, the USB does NOT and CANNOT decode stereo on analog channels.... Boooooo!!!... mine's going back today...

:mad:

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #256 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oops, sorry (I've got decoders on the brain :p ), I meant the Cypress CY7C68013A ... this is the usb bridge that Dvico lists the model as using on the Korean webpage.

by visual inspection of a "blue light" f5usb board, CY7C68013A-56LFXC is the complete correct chip number for the usb chip on the f5usb board in space number U301. the main decoder chip is CONEXANT CX25843-23 in space number U401. 533KZ YV0521 is chip number for space number U421. the chip for space number U431 is missing but it has similar connections as space U421.

btw the "blue lights" are indeed sm led.

-----------
post #257 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

What a fine mess.

Quote:
533KZ YV0521 is chip number for space number U421.
A quick google points to it being a Crystal (Cirrus) audio ADC. Why its there is another question entirely! -- i.e. what's wrong with the cx25843, as it should be accepting all audio inputs.

Edit - Been meaning to update this post for a while. Anyways, while I still don't have confirmation, I'm more inclined to believe that the IC Kaxkid mentions is not a Cirrus Logic audio chip, but rather an EEPROM instead.
post #258 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite
It has been confirmed by Dvico, the USB does NOT and CANNOT decode stereo on analog channels.... Boooooo!!!... mine's going back today...
I'd never have noticed it if it hadn't been posted here. Stereo analog audio is like the last thing I'd ever have expected out of this unit...I bought it to decode HDTV.
post #259 of 345 Old 11-08-2005, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
I'd never have noticed it if it hadn't been posted here. Stereo analog audio is like the last thing I'd ever have expected out of this unit...I bought it to decode HDTV.
and analog is on the way out eventually. the ability to decode qam is why i bought it.

-----------
post #260 of 345 Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

From DC web site:
-----------------------
Supports DivX/DVD/MPEG4 Format Conversion
The Fusion Converter tool allows you to convert recorded high definition digital TV and other video files into high quality DivX, DVD or MPEG4 formats while keeping the file size to a minimum.
--------------------

How does the Fusion Converter tool work and is it downloadable from DIVCO or DC?

Regards,

Sasha Jevtich
post #261 of 345 Old 11-09-2005, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
and analog is on the way out eventually. the ability to decode qam is why i bought it.
It's funny...when I have to rescan channels, I start getting annoyed the analog channels start getting scanned in. (I usually forget to set the scanning to "digital only".)
post #262 of 345 Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j
From DC web site:
-----------------------
Supports DivX/DVD/MPEG4 Format Conversion
The Fusion Converter tool allows you to convert recorded high definition digital TV and other video files into high quality DivX, DVD or MPEG4 formats while keeping the file size to a minimum.
--------------------

How does the Fusion Converter tool work and is it downloadable from DIVCO or DC?
It's in the normal installation package and is enabled if your DVICO product is supposed to have that feature. In my experience, it's spotty on conversions. Sometimes it works well and other times it has A/V sync problems. But I haven't actually tried it out for quite a while now, so maybe it's gotten better.
post #263 of 345 Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 AM

Beyond TV 4 just came out today with support for the FusionHDTV5 USB , If anyone plans on purchasing this software please update as to whether this corrects some of the buggy issues that is currently plaguing the fushion hd cards
post #264 of 345 Old 11-10-2005, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstephenson
Beyond TV 4 just came out today with support for the FusionHDTV5 USB , If anyone plans on purchasing this software please update as to whether this corrects some of the buggy issues that is currently plaguing the fushion hd cards
from the Beyond TV4 FAQ:
1. Will Beyond TV 4 record HDTV from my digital cable or satellite box?

No. Beyond TV 4 does not support recording HDTV from an digital cable or satellite set-top box. We are working on adding support for unencrypted QAM.

8: Does Beyond TV 4 support QAM tuning?

Currently, Beyond TV 4 does not support QAM tuning. However, we are working diligently to add unencrypted QAM tuning to Beyond TV.

supported Fusion cards:
Dvico FusionHDTV5 Lite
Dvico FusionHDTV3 Gold
Dvico FusionHDTV5 Gold
Dvico FusionHDTV5 Gold Plus
Dvico FusionHDTV5 Gold USB

-----------
post #265 of 345 Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
KAXKID,

Thanks for the update. Wake me up when Beyond TV 4 gets QAM tuning.

Bob.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #266 of 345 Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 PM

I am using BTV 4.0 (and have been beta testing it for a while) with dual Fusion5 USB's. Works great....I highly recommend it.
post #267 of 345 Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

any one interested in getting a good deal on the f5usb, take a look at this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6513066

the antenna from snapstream is the "silver sensor" and is included for the same price of $149. i have the silver sensor and can pull in OTA stations from 40-45 miles away with my f5usb.

-----------
post #268 of 345 Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

$149 for the F5USB AND a Silver Sensor is a great price. The SS alone is around $40 IIRC.
post #269 of 345 Old 11-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civerson4
I am using BTV 4.0 (and have been beta testing it for a while) with dual Fusion5 USB's. Works great....I highly recommend it.
This is what I've been wanting to hear. I think I'll order one to use with BTV.
post #270 of 345 Old 11-12-2005, 11:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Has anyone tried two F5USB tuners in a single MCE2005 PC now that MCE2005 Rollup 2 supports dual HDTV tuners?

Thank you
Bryan
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page