AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   FusionHDTV5 USB ATSC due mid Oct (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/585797-fusionhdtv5-usb-atsc-due-mid-oct.html)

KAXKID 09-28-2005 10:27 PM

i just noticed this on Dvico's site. i wonder if the software will be up to this new addition to their line?
wonder what the price will be?

Prince Vlad 09-29-2005 08:23 AM

The Fusion-USB (that is, the ATSC unit for the US and Korea) that I have is using Fusion software v3.1-beta-3 and works quite well. You'll see the price around $159 US.

I've been playing with the Fusion USB for over a week, now and it is a remarkable unit. I have the v3.1-beta-3 software on my Dell Latitude notebook (pentium-M 1.6Ghz) and have recorded quite a bit of HD. Haven't recorded any analog as the analog reception in my home is terrible from the aluminum siding. I recorded "Lost" last night and various bits of PBS. I see about 55..80% CPU when recording HD on my notebook.

BTW, the Conexant CX25843 is used as the mixed signal decoder, and the tuner is the LG H062F NIM.

KAXKID 09-29-2005 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Vlad
The Fusion-USB (that is, the ATSC unit for the US and Korea) that I have is using Fusion software v3.1-beta-3 and works quite well. You'll see the price around $159 US.

I've been playing with the Fusion USB for over a week, now and it is a remarkable unit. I have the v3.1-beta-3 software on my Dell Latitude notebook (pentium-M 1.6Ghz) and have recorded quite a bit of HD. Haven't recorded any analog as the analog reception in my home is terrible from the aluminum siding. I recorded "Lost" last night and various bits of PBS. I see about 55..80% CPU when recording HD on my notebook.

BTW, the Conexant CX25843 is used as the mixed signal decoder, and the tuner is the LG H062F NIM.
does it record in tp or mpg or either?
can it be used if you already have another fusion pci card already installed?

Suntan 09-29-2005 08:43 AM

55-80% cpu usage with a 740 P-M?

That sounds like an awful lot just to write a .ts stream to the hard drive. Or were you watching the show on the laptop while recording?

-Suntan

KAXKID 09-29-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

... and have recorded quite a bit of HD. Haven't recorded any analog as the analog reception in my home is terrible from the aluminum siding. I recorded "Lost" last night and various bits of PBS. I see about 55..80% CPU when recording HD on my notebook.

are you using the qam ability or ota??

Prince Vlad 09-29-2005 01:11 PM

KAXKID:: It will record sd/hd in either .tp or .mpg (program stream). I have much more experimenting to do regarding multiple Fusion devices. It should work, but I haven't tried yet. I've been only using OTA as I have no digital cable here to try. I'll test QAM later next week though.

Suntan:: I was wathcing it in fullscreen while recording, all while on battery power. The only other USB ASTC tuner I have is the BOX USB-A-3560 and I haven't done an A/B comparison on CPU usage.

Need more time with the unit. Still need to try the analog tuner, QAM, and analog capture from the A/V input.

KAXKID 09-29-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:
KAXKID:: It will record sd/hd in either .tp or .mpg (program stream). I have much more experimenting to do regarding multiple Fusion devices. It should work, but I haven't tried yet. I've been only using OTA as I have no digital cable here to try. I'll test QAM later next week though....Need more time with the unit. Still need to try the analog tuner, QAM, and analog capture from the A/V input.
thanks for the response, i'll keep my eye on this thread. have fun.

Prince Vlad 09-29-2005 05:23 PM

OK, tried on my HP PAvilion p4/2.8 with an nVidia Go chipset and the CPU utilization is from 11..29%. Looks like my Dell is about the minimum specs.

KAXKID 09-29-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:
OK, tried on my HP PAvilion p4/2.8 with an nVidia Go chipset and the CPU utilization is from 11..29%. Looks like my Dell is about the minimum specs.
that sound's about right. both this usb device and dvicos's pci cards use the same software and tuners from what your earlier post says.
i think the qam ability is what is going to set this device apart from anything else.

valkyrie 09-29-2005 06:15 PM

Prince Vlad, please give us a nice solid comparison between the Vbox and Dvico units, if you would. Now that Rollup 2 is on the way, I'm going to add a second HDTV tuner to my HTPC, and it's down to these two for me.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing more.

PS. By the way, is the unit you have silver or red on the edges? Copperbox and Dvico show two different pictures.

Prince Vlad 09-29-2005 06:19 PM

I'll do my best to compare them (not too much time these days...). Of particular interest to me is TSREADER and if the fusion will work with it. The vbox performs exemplary with tsreader and has bullet-proof bda drivers and datacasting support...

The Fusion on DViCO's site is probably the DVB-T model and not the ATSC. My unit is red with silver trim and is lights up with blue LED's when plugged in.

Got to get ready to record CSI. Try to get back here tomorrow with more info..

l8r

Mac The Knife 09-30-2005 02:29 PM

Can it record with the monitor turned off?

One of my main compaints with my Sasem USB tuner is that the monitor must be turned on when recording.

Can someone also test how reliable it is with scheduled recordings.

valkyrie 10-03-2005 06:40 PM

Any more info on the Fusion5 HDTV USB? PrinceVlad, have you had any problems with it?

Thanks!

KAXKID 10-05-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:
... Try to get back here tomorrow with more info..

l8r
i was looking at the new faq posted with the release of new "official" 3.11 software and noticed that the usb device only shows using one driver. is that correct???

Kei Clark 10-06-2005 03:44 PM

I see only the Bluebird ATSC driver added during installation on the laptop.

KAXKID 10-06-2005 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark
I see only the Bluebird ATSC driver added during installation on the laptop.
the faq shows "FusionHDTV USB, AVStream Capture (ATSC1)" for winxp.
i wonder if you have a production model or ...
how is the testing going??
i see you have listed the device for "preorder", do you have a target date yet for shipping?

Kei Clark 10-06-2005 05:30 PM

KAXKID,

Last I heard, DVICO was finalizing the software, I'm using a beta version, although the box is the production unit with the final packaging. I haven't yet tested software functions extensively yet. I've tested my regular antenna and an indoor Silver Sensor, both without any reception issues, in this regard its surprisingly good. It passed the laptop test using a Radeon Mobility chip, don't know about other graphics chips yet. Will report back with ETA.

KAXKID 10-06-2005 05:39 PM

Quote:
KAXKID,
... Will report back with ETA.
thanks for the quick reply.
i'm interested in the qam abilities, that is where i see the value for this unit.

Kei Clark 10-06-2005 05:43 PM

KAXKID,

Sorry, can't help you there as I don't have cable. I expect to send it to a beta tester for the QAM capability, will let you know if the person still has hair at the end of the test.

KAXKID 10-06-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:
KAXKID,... will let you know if the person still has hair at the end of the test.
you make an old man laugh!!! thanks.

ChrisW6ATV 10-07-2005 12:23 AM

Quote:
It passed the laptop test using a Radeon Mobility chip, don't know about other graphics chips yet. Will report back with ETA.
Kei-

Is that just a Radeon Mobility (no number), or a 7500/9600 or other one? Also, do you know any minimum CPU speed required? The Dvico Web site did not appear to have any minimums listed. Thanks-

Kei Clark 10-07-2005 01:30 AM

Chris,

It is a Mobility 9200 running at 1280x800. The minimum spec is listed on our page, but basically you will need P3 800MHz for Radeon, or P3 1GHz for Nvidia, I run a 1.5GHz.

Suntan 10-07-2005 09:36 AM

Good to see DC is going to carry it.

Kei, if you have had a chance, how does the MyHD fare with playback of the files recorded off of this thing?

More in general, how difficult would it be to add this to a MyHD system as a second recorder? I relize the fact that MyHD will not work with Sage, MCE, etc. thats fine, I have no problem with that. But does the default applications that come with this tuner allow a person to beable to setup a concurrent recording while the MyHD is recording/playing back something?

I know the Fusion software is not known to be the most reliable in the HTPC world, any comment on changes for this little guy?

Thanks.

-Suntan

knnirs 10-07-2005 06:03 PM

I just ordered the FusionHDTV5 USB from DC. Icould have ordered from other sources, but I chose Dc because of their support for this forum.

Kei Clark 10-07-2005 07:57 PM

Not to seem self-serving, but ;)

KAXKID 10-07-2005 11:10 PM

kei,
the manual you have linked in the usb ad is for the earlier software. it does not even mention the usb device. dvico has a newer manual that has the new "official3.11" software and the usb version.

Kei Clark 10-08-2005 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID
kei,
the manual you have linked in the usb ad is for the earlier software. it does not even mention the usb device. dvico has a newer manual that has the new "official3.11" software and the usb version.
KAXKID,

I have not received the specifc manual yet, but I'm sure that they are finishing it up as we speak. Technically, there's not much for the hardware installation as all there is is antenna, firewire cable, pull the little plastic tab that covers the battery remote and its done. The software manual should be the same posted at the DVICO site.

WinstonSmith 10-08-2005 08:35 AM

Will this Fusion USB tuner be compatable w/ MCE?

roachxp 10-09-2005 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith
Will this Fusion USB tuner be compatable w/ MCE?
Yes it works with MCE2005.

Anyone have a link to someone with them in stock?

KAXKID 10-09-2005 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachxp
Yes it works with MCE2005.

Anyone have a link to someone with them in stock?
at least, that's what the ads (specs) say.