WatchHDTV Version 1.8 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1734 Old 12-05-2005, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a fusion hdtv 5 plus and the program has never worked. as soon as i bring it up, it crashes and has to close. there seems to be no setup with this program. is there anything i can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1734 Old 12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
O2C
Advanced Member

There's no setup because it doesn't really need one. It uses the decoders and drivers you should already have installed on your computer. You can try using the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility to check the video decoder you're using. GSpot also works to list your decoders. Which ones are you trying to use?
post #273 of 1734 Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Follow the instructions above, and on the WatchHDTV page, about creating a "decoders.txt" file with the proper decoders for your system. (The WatchHDTV page even has a visual representation of how to find out what they are.)

As I've noted above, when you find out what the audio and video decoders are, you HAVE to spell them correctly, and use the EXACT spacing that you see in the graphedit screen that's shown on the WatchHDTV website.

I have a F5USB, and WatchHDTV wouldn't work for me until I found these decoders, created the decoders.txt file, and put it in the WatchHDTV directory. It seems that when first run, WatchHDTV expected the DVxA video decoder (accelerated video), which I am not running on my laptop since it doesn't have accelerated video.
post #274 of 1734 Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM

I'm trying to use this software in my HTPC but I'm getting the MFC error when I switch channels.

I got Windows XP SP 1, NVidia FX5200 and drivers, ATI HDTV Wonder.
I'm able to start the application and tune a channel, but when I switch channels I get the MFC error. I also get no video or audio.

I have entered the correct Rf, subchannel, and channel based on antennaweb.org.
I also ran the graph as instructed in the setup sucessfully.

I created a decoders.txt file using the same decoders in the graph (CyberLink).

Do I have to uninstall any ATI components (MMC, etc) to get WatchHDTV to work?
Do I have to install Windows SP2??
What may be causing this MFC error??
post #275 of 1734 Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

Follow the instructions above, and on the WatchHDTV page, about creating a "decoders.txt" file with the proper decoders for your system. (The WatchHDTV page even has a visual representation of how to find out what they are.)

As I've noted above, when you find out what the audio and video decoders are, you HAVE to spell them correctly, and use the EXACT spacing that you see in the graphedit screen that's shown on the WatchHDTV website.

I have a F5USB, and WatchHDTV wouldn't work for me until I found these decoders, created the decoders.txt file, and put it in the WatchHDTV directory. It seems that when first run, WatchHDTV expected the DVxA video decoder (accelerated video), which I am not running on my laptop since it doesn't have accelerated video.

this doesn't answer my question, the program itself will not load. i double click and it immediately crashes. are you saying that it won't even load if you don't setup the decoders correctly?

edit: i created the decoders.txt file and put the appropriate ones and it still crashes. This is what I have in the file: Zulu HDTV DxVA Decoder(BDA)
Dvico AC3 Decoder
post #276 of 1734 Old 12-06-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbsullivan View Post

this doesn't answer my question, the program itself will not load. i double click and it immediately crashes. are you saying that it won't even load if you don't setup the decoders correctly?

Mine would crash just as yours is until I created the decoders.txt.

Works like a charm now.
post #277 of 1734 Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 PM

you should try to run the graph using these decoders...
post #278 of 1734 Old 12-06-2005, 01:25 PM

i added the zulu hdtv dxva decoder and the cyberlink audio decoder and tried to run it and graphedit crashed, this sucks
post #279 of 1734 Old 12-07-2005, 12:45 PM

I can't get this decoder thing down either.. I created the file.. used the NVIDIA ones first - no go.. just a black screen. Same for Cyberlink. I also tried the Avermedia ones (I have an A180).

However... if I have WatchHDTV open with a nice black screen and with signal strength.. if I open the Avermedia application to watch TV the signal appears in the WatchHDTV app. I can then close the Avermedia one and it works fine. It's like it gives a kick to the decoders or something.

AND I know it's WatchHDTV processing it because the signal is near perfect. Avermedia studders.. while this is nice and smooth.

any ideas?
post #280 of 1734 Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 PM

I got a question for those who have experienced all these problems with ATI's software. My system is Windows XP SP1, ati hdtv wonder, nvidia fx5200 128mb agp8x, P4 2.4, 512mb, etc.
I have the latest MMC version installed and the DTV player keeps switching the video format (720p, 1080i), the video size and aspect ratio when tuned in certain channels. The picture goes black and only part of different frames are shown, and the audio breaks up. There are other channels that work just fine.
I checked the signal strengh is pretty high (over 80%) on all channels. All channels are transmitted from the same tower.
Any idea of what can be causing this problem?
post #281 of 1734 Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm running MMC 9.06.1 as 9.08 has an entire new set of issues with the TitanTV-based EPG/scheduler. My system runs fine. I can't understand how DTV would swiitch video format as that is sent in the ATSC stream, although, if you're using EasyView to watch it, it has an Auto Aspect Ratio that is really cool -- it morphs the screen when it detects alternate AR is necessary (on my widescreen). As far a jitteryness, have you tried changing the DirectX9 Sound acceleration to Basic? How about drivers for your NVidia card? I'm using an AIW 9600XT and the Cat 5.4 drivers on MY system.

All in all you might want to post YOUR issue on the HDTV-Wonder thread, or read there.
post #282 of 1734 Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Good news, I'm able to run WatchHDTV ok after I installed Windows SP2.
The bad news are that the video is not always smooth, and I get the message "cannot run filter graph" sometimes (using the same decoders - Cyberlink video and audio). The message appears randomly, and the video keeps playing. I tried other decoders but I got the same problem.
I was also not able to send keyboard shortcuts ("W" and "S" to change channels) in fullscreen mode, then the command panel is hidden. Therefore, I can't get my remote to work on this app. I'm also not able to get the command panel to hide few seconds after opening.
any ideas?
post #283 of 1734 Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 AM

Does anyone else find that the video gets ahead of the audio after watching for a while?
post #284 of 1734 Old 12-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Got everything working pretty well but can't seem to get recording to work.
If I hit the record button, the program crashes.
I have saved the directory locations correctly for record and time shift but I'm sure they are different than what the default names were.

Is this my problem?

What else can I try?

I did try moving the directories within the watchhdtv folder and saving but no success.

The crash also happens when I hit the time shift button.

Thanks for your help.
post #285 of 1734 Old 12-09-2005, 10:54 PM

Some more interesting test results.
Recording works in silent mode with scheduler, watchhdtv player off.
If I try to play the recorded file with watchhd player, it crashes.

If I use wmp, it can play the file! Only thing I can see is some edge choppy-ness.

Hmm...I could use my mce to record and not fight this much longer but I'd love to get the time shift feature working.

There's gotta be something fundemental I'm missing.
post #286 of 1734 Old 12-10-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgulfin View Post

Some more interesting test results.
Recording works in silent mode with scheduler, watchhdtv player off.
If I try to play the recorded file with watchhd player, it crashes.

If I use wmp, it can play the file! Only thing I can see is some edge choppy-ness.

Hmm...I could use my mce to record and not fight this much longer but I'd love to get the time shift feature working.

There's gotta be something fundemental I'm missing.

Unfortunately crashing of recording and timeshift currently is a "feature" on WatchHDTV running under MCE. Both work great on XP Home and Pro. I'd love to roll back to either one so I could get it to work but would have to buy a full edition to do so.

Interesting that you were successful recording in silent mode.
post #287 of 1734 Old 12-10-2005, 09:51 AM

RussT:

Thanks for clarifying the crashes.

I'm still very satisfied with watchhdtv and being able to use the full functionality of MCE if I want at this point.

I intalled the ati card just 3 days ago and given all the bad experiences I read about with intall, software, and decoder problems my setup is very stable.

We'll see if the developer ventures to update watchhdtv one more time and fixes this issue for those that are on xp mce.
post #288 of 1734 Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

The only thing that appears to be a potential issue is there is a grey square around the channel numbers (when you are changing channels). On my other machine running regular XP there was no grey box, the channel changing numbers were transparent.

I fixed this by changing my Win XP interface theme to the default one then back to what I like (windows classic).
OTOH, I found that the gray box, while ugly, helps with the readability of the channel indicator.
post #289 of 1734 Old 12-12-2005, 01:53 AM

I noticed that whenever I first start timeshifting the audio and video are not synched right. I need to rewind a little and then start playing again to get them synched.
post #290 of 1734 Old 12-13-2005, 07:14 PM

On v1.84, WatchHDTV setup schedule and the scheduler show different channel numbers. Has anyone seen this problem?

-Kris
post #291 of 1734 Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 AM

What can I say about this application? WOW!

My wife loves it! I was sceptical to use this app at first. But after loading it, it ran perfectly!! I can "nit pick" about all of the things I want or that it doesn't do just right, but what's the point? When the author wants a wish list for this app, just let me know - I have just a few things to ask...not many.

Here's some things we really love about it.
1) You can record an HD program and watch a previously recorded one!!
2) When you say "skip", it really does it!! ATI had some real issues with this one.
3) The interface is easy to use.
4) The scheduler worked first time.

The scheduler isn't working right now for me and I don't know why. I got an error message once and it stopped working after that. But overall I would have to say that this application is a fantastic one!

-=Jeff=-
post #292 of 1734 Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbsullivan View Post

i added the zulu hdtv dxva decoder and the cyberlink audio decoder and tried to run it and graphedit crashed, this sucks

I just caught this message, sorry.

Two things:

1) You only need Graphedit to find the exact names of the audio/video decoders. Once you get those names, you can get out of Graphedit.

2) The decoder names in decoders.txt (in the WatchHDTV directory) MUST BE EXACT. That means upper/lower case and spacing, *exactly* as they appear in Graphedit. If you entered them like you did in this message, it won't work.
post #293 of 1734 Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 AM

I noticed that if the video frame has focus including when it is fullscrean , pressing ESC will close it and there is no way to get it back and pressing enter will exit the whole program. This is annoying since I sometimes press enter on my Remote wonder by accident.
Anyway, I think there is an easy fix. If WatchHDTV uses a window derived from CDialog in MFC, you need create handlers for OnCancel and OnOK to override the default behavior.
post #294 of 1734 Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

For some strange reason, I can't seem to get the control panel to show up for version 1.2 0.1 for the WatchHDTV player. But version 1.1.0.1 comes up fine.

Also, has anyone found a good video editor for XP pro SP2 to strip away those commercials but retaining the original audio and video resolution?
post #295 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 11:21 AM

is it possible to change the audio decoder on the decoder.txt to ac3 filter or something that will passthrough to the audigy 2 dd decoder or an external decoder?

I read on rage3d that you can get dd 5.1 from hdtv wonder using graph edit. But that program isnt as simple as watchhdtv. I can get dd5.1 pass to my audigy 2 using ati mmc. Any one able to do that with watchhdtv?
post #296 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 11:45 AM

WatchHD would be perfect for me if it had a non-fixed aspect ratio choice.

ATI software has this, and it allows me to keep my anamorphic lens in place!

For WatchHD I have to move the lens out of the equation, and I would like the ability in WatchHD.

Don't know if this is a possibility for a future enhancement or not...

Thanks!
post #297 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 12:07 PM
O2C
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaet View Post

is it possible to change the audio decoder on the decoder.txt to ac3 filter or something that will passthrough to the audigy 2 dd decoder or an external decoder?

I read on rage3d that you can get dd 5.1 from hdtv wonder using graph edit. But that program isnt as simple as watchhdtv. I can get dd5.1 pass to my audigy 2 using ati mmc. Any one able to do that with watchhdtv?

Read through the thread again. I mean I even posted my decoders.txt file that uses AC3 Filter for S/PDIF passthrough.
post #298 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 PM

nice, thank you very much, i'll try it tonite. is it possible to set ac3 filter to external passthrough so I can use my audigy or an external decoder to decode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C View Post

Read through the thread again. I mean I even posted my decoders.txt file that uses AC3 Filter for S/PDIF passthrough.

post #299 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLoyD View Post

Don't know if this is a possibility for a future enhancement or not...

Don't expect it, unless someone else picks up the programming of it. The original author has basically gone into hiding.
post #300 of 1734 Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds like the history of mediator.exe .... maybe ATI hired him ???

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page