post #811 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCalif View Post

I have a FusionHDTV5 RT Gold, using driver/software version 3.41, and have been trying out record_this over the last few days. It has been working perfectly when I identify a program by name. But just today I tried a manual program entry and for some reason a zero byte file is created. It looks like the manual program entry tries to record "AIR digital" instead of "CATV digital".
The relevant lines in my .ini file are:
>>CHANNEL KOCEDT 86 862 1 CABD
testKOCEDT [At 12:34-12:38 on KOCEDT]
This channel mapping works for scheduling/recording a named program but not for a manual entry.
Any ideas?

Jeez, I just left Orange County. Turn on ShowAddedSchedule and post the log file. Might want to post the whole ini maybe. Is 4 minutes too short a time for Fusion to record something. Just a speculative question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Turn on ShowAddedSchedule and post the log file. Might want to post the whole ini maybe. Is 4 minutes too short a time for Fusion to record something. Just a speculative question.

I don't think 4 minutes is too short. Fusion starts up a minute early and I can see the control panel is set to digital cable. When the recording starts the control panel changes to air digital. By the way, I just set a 4 minute recording with the Fusion scheduler and it worked fine. I will post the whole log file but here are a few lines that may help; I notice the ChName is blank. The first program is the manual entry and the second one is programmed by title. Both entries appear in the Fusion scheduler and look normal.

08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: PhyCh 86 VirCh 862 SubCh 1 ProgNum 1 2006/08/23 start 13:51 stop 13:56
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: ChName title testKOCEDT FileName E:\\HDTV\ estKOCEDT.tp
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: PhyCh 86 VirCh 862 SubCh 1 ProgNum 1 2006/08/23 start 18:00 stop 18:30
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: ChName KOCEDT title Adventure Golf FileName E:\\HDTV\\Adventure Golf.tp
post #813 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 PM

post #814 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...But just today I tried a manual program entry and for some reason a zero byte file is created. It looks like the manual program entry tries to record "AIR digital" instead of "CATV digital".

confirmed, the manual option does goto "AIR Digital", i tried WTLVDT which is channel 12 CABD and RT tried to tune channel 12, Air Digital which is not there so fusion recorded the last tuned air channel. the gcode shows a 5 instead of 7 or 8.

the same for SPEED channel which is CABA 61, the gcode shows a 5 not 2 as it should be and fusion goes to "AIR Digital" and tries for 61 which is not there so it records the last air channel for the scheduled duration in mpg not tp.

i tried a TNTHD also, which is one of the mapfusionname channels and RT gave "parameter error: unknown channel for AT option"

i guess i never checked this option when we were debugging.

allen, what other info do you need to work on this?

-----------
post #815 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tonight I tried remote and local scheduling of Fusion and MyHD, and overall, it worked well and programs were scheduled on all four cards.

I scheduled these shows:

bones
prison break
criminal minds
csy: ny
george lopez
scrubs

Note that there are two episodes of Scrubs from 9-10 and for episodes of George Lopez from 8-10.

I have two questions. For some reason, RT created two reservations for Bones on the same MyHD card. I have included a screen capture from MyHD below. However, when I reviewed the log file, it looks like only one episode was scheduled. I confirmed that the reservation list was empty before I ran RT, so I don't think this should have happened. The log file is also attached below.

My second question relates to how RT scheduled the four episodes of George Lopez. The log file shows that the first two episodes of GL were scheduled on the local Fusion and the second two episodes of GL were scheduled on the remote Fusion. The remote Fusion was fine. However, the second episode was missing from the local Fusion. In other words, the local Fusion had GL from 8-8:30 and Criminal Minds from 9-10, but no entry for GL from 8:30-9, even though the log files shows that it was scheduled.

Finally, why didn't RT schedule all four episodes of GL to the same card?

Other than these two glitches, it really worked well.

Thanks!

-Dave

Record_This_Log.txt 135.5224609375k . file
LL
post #816 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This should generate the correct Input_Type for manual entries.
I haven't read DPlettner's latest entry.

Record_This.zip 241.2890625k . file
post #817 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Tonight I tried remote and local scheduling of Fusion and MyHD, and overall, it worked well and programs were scheduled on all four cards.
I scheduled these shows:
bones
prison break
criminal minds
csy: ny
george lopez
scrubs
Note that there are two episodes of Scrubs from 9-10 and for episodes of George Lopez from 8-10.
I have two questions. For some reason, RT created two reservations for Bones on the same MyHD card. I have included a screen capture from MyHD below. However, when I reviewed the log file, it looks like only one episode was scheduled. I confirmed that the reservation list was empty before I ran RT, so I don't think this should have happened. The log file is also attached below.
My second question relates to how RT scheduled the four episodes of George Lopez. The log file shows that the first two episodes of GL were scheduled on the local Fusion and the second two episodes of GL were scheduled on the remote Fusion. The remote Fusion was fine. However, the second episode was missing from the local Fusion. In other words, the local Fusion had GL from 8-8:30 and Criminal Minds from 9-10, but no entry for GL from 8:30-9, even though the log files shows that it was scheduled.
Finally, why didn't RT schedule all four episodes of GL to the same card?
Other than these two glitches, it really worked well.
Thanks!
-Dave

I'm looking at your log file. In the future for debugging can you also turn on ShowAddedSchedule? This shows the details of each record added to the MYHD & Fusion schedule. Thanks.

I'm probably not going to be able to explain why programs get recorded where they get recorded. Its a combination of the sequence of programs in the ini file. The sequence of machine cards in the ini file and maybe most importantly where the specified programs are found in the xml file. I'll keep your question in mind tho.
post #818 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To answer the questiion of GL. Criminal Minds could not be recorded on the local MYHD so it went on to the local Fusion. Then the 9 PM episode of GL could not be put on the local Fusion so RT moved on to the next card.

I'll need that ShowAddedSchedule output to try and understand what is going on. I know tonight is passed but you should be able to duplicate this.
post #819 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB
To answer the questiion of GL. Criminal Minds could not be recorded on the local MYHD so it went on to the local Fusion. Then the 9 PM episode of GL could not be put on the local Fusion so RT moved on to the next card.

I'll need that ShowAddedSchedule output to try and understand what is going on. I know tonight is passed but you should be able to duplicate this.
Hi Allen,

I turned on ShowAddedSchedule, and the attached log file shows the extra reservation for Bones to the same card and the missing episode of GL from 8:30-9 (Program 4).

Interestingly, I swapped the order of MyHD and Fusion on the local PC and ran RT again. This fixed the double entry for Bones, but did not fix the missed episode of GL. I did not attach the log file for the second run.

-Dave

Record_This_Log.txt 135.5224609375k . file
post #820 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did not see your last post before I posted. Luckily prime time has not yet started in CA, so I was able to run RT again.

-Dave
post #821 of 2788 Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't read DPlettner's latest entry.

still has the "parameter error: unknown channel for AT option" when i use TNTHD, which is a "mapfusionname" channel which uses an 8 in the gcode.

both speed 61 caba and wtlvdt 12 cabd are scheduled correctly in the gcode now and record as scheduled.

-----------
post #822 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

An odd thing happened last night.

I had a show scheduled via RT for the remote Fusion that didn't record. It was supposed to start at 9:00pm. When I looked at about 9:15pm, it wasn't recording. I checked the log, and it said the reservation had been added to the remote database. I checked the remote machine, and of course there was nothing in the Schedule Viewer. There was no indication of a crash, or any other problems. There was not any file at all, not even an empty one.

But I backed up the system clock and checked again (you did know that the Fusion database doesn't actually remove a reservation after the time has passed, right?), and sure enough it was there. I let the adjusted time run until the machine thought it was the reserved time, and the recording started!

I have only the silliest of theories, which is as full of holes as Swiss cheese, so maybe you guys can think of a better explanation. My weird guess is that there is something fishy about Fusion and the power management. I have the remote machine set to turn off the display and hard drive after 15 minutes of inactivity. (The external drive doesn't spin down, something I'm trying to work out with the manufacturer.) So the remote programming of the database would have occurred some time after 12:15am (see previous post for my setup), and after the display and drive was powered down. And since yesterday, no-one touched the machine, it stayed like this until 9:00pm. My (again, very silly) guess is that this state caused the reservation to somehow miss updating the mechanism that actually triggers the recording. For all my previous tests, I ran to the remote machine to check whether the reservation was made, and my theory is that this was enough to make sure the recording was triggered.

I did say it was silly. But since it's all I have to work with now (until you guys take a stab at it), I'm going to see if the same thing happens today. Hopefully, no-one will touch the machine today, and I'll see if the same thing happens.

Any other ideas?

Xesdeeni
post #823 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:

Allen, this release fixed the problem I was having with the input source and manual program entries. Thank you!

Note that the log file still does not list the channel name for the scheduled recording but this does not affect the actual scheduling or recording.

What were you doing in Orange County?

John
post #824 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Allen, this release fixed the problem I was having with the input source and manual program entries. Thank you!
Note that the log file still does not list the channel name for the scheduled recording but this does not affect the actual scheduling or recording.
What were you doing in Orange County?
John

Could you point out in the log file (modify it with <<<<< or something) what you are talking about and post it? Worked at Unisys for 21 years in Mission Viejo and 15 in Santa Barbara before that.
post #825 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post

still has the "parameter error: unknown channel for AT option" when i use TNTHD, which is a "mapfusionname" channel which uses an 8 in the gcode. both speed 61 caba and wtlvdt 12 cabd are scheduled correctly in the gcode now and record as scheduled.

Can you post the logfile too. I see the error processing but want to make sure what RT is doing when it generates it.
post #826 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In cases, multi card handling wasn't handling multi cards very well. This should/might fix it. Four cards, whew!

Glad I haven't put RT in post #1 yet.

Record_This.zip 241.2890625k . file
post #827 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Could you point out in the log file (modify it with <<<<< or something) what you are talking about and post it?

Here are the same four lines I posted before. I put <<<<< in place of the missing channel name. Recall that the first program was manual and the second was by name.

08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: PhyCh 86 VirCh 862 SubCh 1 ProgNum 1 2006/08/23 start 13:51 stop 13:56
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: ChName <<<<< title testKOCEDT FileName E:\\HDTV\ estKOCEDT.tp
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: PhyCh 86 VirCh 862 SubCh 1 ProgNum 1 2006/08/23 start 18:00 stop 18:30
08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: ChName KOCEDT title Adventure Golf FileName E:\\HDTV\\Adventure Golf.tp
post #828 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In cases, multi card handling wasn't handling multi cards very well. This should/might fix it. Four cards, whew!

Glad I haven't put RT in post #1 yet.

This version worked great. No missed program and no duplicate entires in MyHD. I really gave RT a lot to chew on:

smallville
friends
my name is earl
windfall
grey's anatomy
the office
supernatural
>> local fusion
>> local MYHD
>> remote mediaPC fusion
>> remote mediaPC myhd

Tonight there are two episodes of Friends, three episodes of The Office, and two episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

It appears to me that RT does not try to group shows from the same network on the same card. Rather, it just looks for hits in the program list in the order I provide, and then attempts to schedule those programs in open slots using the card order I provide.

For example, Smallville was scheduled on "local fusion". The first episode of Friends conflicted with Smallville, so it was scheduled on "local MyHD". The second episode of Friends did not conflict with Smallville, so it was scheduled on "local fusion", etc.

So it appears that all I need to do to schedule shows from the same network to the same card is to keep all shows grouped together based on network. Therefore, in my Record_This.ini file, if I should have sections for NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. I was planning to group by day of the week, but I think grouping by network makes more sense.

Thanks again.

-Dave

P.S. On second thought, ordering programs by network won't work either. If there is a half-hour show starting at 8pm on a network that is first in the ini file, and then two back-to-back one-hour shows starting at 8pm on a network that is second on the list, the one-hour shows will be scheduled to different cards. It probably makes more sense to group shows by day-of-the-week, and then group by network under each day. This should work fine unless a network shifts a show from its normal day.
post #829 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don't forget the the first priority of RT. Shows placed after a card get assigned to that card. As long as there are no conflicts with other programs assigned to that card.

You are playing around with the Dont Care feature by placing programs before any card declaration. By definition that means you do not care on which card it gets recorded.

And I really appreciate the testing effort, thanks.
post #830 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you post the logfile too. I see the error processing but want to make sure what RT is doing when it generates it.
ok, here's a log showing what happens with tnthd and then a run with that program disabled.

Record_This_Log.zip 14.6064453125k . file

-----------
post #831 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the same four lines I posted before. I put <<<<< in place of the missing channel name. Recall that the first program was manual and the second was by name.

08/23/06 13:47:13 Fusion_Reservation: ChName <<<<< title testKOCEDT FileName E:\\HDTV\ estKOCEDT.tp

Don't mean to be picky but could you post the entire log file. I want to look at your channel table and things.
post #832 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't forget the the first priority of RT. Shows placed after a card get assigned to that card. As long as there are no conflicts with other programs assigned to that card.

You are playing around with the Dont Care feature by placing programs before any card declaration. By definition that means you do not care on which card it gets recorded.

And I really appreciate the testing effort, thanks.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the first priority.

My original intent was to start playing around with RT a few months ago, but I guess the summer slipped by. At least I am getting some experience before the fall season starts.

As the season starts, I will try adding entries under each card to maximize the probability that all the shows from a single network are scheduled to one card.

Let me ask a question about conflict resolution. I have four cards. Assume that I have shows listed under each card, and on a particular night, all cards will be used. If RT is scheduling the first card, and there is a conflict, will RT immediately bump that conflict to the next card, or will it try to schedule all the other cards first with their preferred reservations, and then see if there is an open slot for the conflicting program?

When I have a chance, I will probably test this, but it will require a bit more work to set up.

Thanks again.

-Dave
post #833 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Let me ask a question about conflict resolution. I have four cards. Assume that I have shows listed under each card, and on a particular night, all cards will be used. If RT is scheduling the first card, and there is a conflict, will RT immediately bump that conflict to the next card, or will it try to schedule all the other cards first with their preferred reservations, and then see if there is an open slot for the conflicting program?
-Dave

If multiple shows under a card cause a conflict the show with the lowest priority, listed last/later than the others, will get dropped. Trying to squeeze it in on another card is the purpose of DontCare. The DontCare logic will resolve time conflicts across cards. Programs assigned to a card get dropped.

Got that complete log file where the channel name is missing?
post #834 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post

ok, here's a log showing what happens with tnthd and then a run with that program disabled.

Just wanted to make sure. As the documentation says the referenced channel in a manual entry points to an entry that must be in the channel table. Yours are commented out. I remember us working in this area and can't recall if you commented them out because the MapFusionName took care of mapping or they had to be commented out for another reason. You remember? So I think its OK.
post #835 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got that complete log file where the channel name is missing?

Thanks for the response.

I don't think I mentioned a missing channel name. Was this comment meant for someone else?

-Dave
post #836 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Don't mean to be picky but could you post the entire log file. I want to look at your channel table and things.
Here is the entire log file with the missing ChName. I put <<<<< where the channel name should be near the end of the file.

Record_This_Log.txt 42.8037109375k . file
post #837 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure. As the documentation says the referenced channel in a manual entry points to an entry that must be in the channel table. Yours are commented out. I remember us working in this area and can't recall if you commented them out because the MapFusionName took care of mapping or they had to be commented out for another reason. You remember? So I think its OK.
that's a long ways back for either one of us to remember, but from what i can make out of our email, there were a number of reasons to comment out those entries for the mapfusionname channels. the channel table entries caused problems because they don't work for those channels.

here's a log with the tnthd channel enabled again in the channel table. the manual entry causes a "DB access failure" but a program from the xml database (DREAMCATCHER) got scheduled on the same channel TNTHD.

Record_This_Log.zip 14.6064453125k . file

-----------
post #838 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the remote Fusion thing (at least on my system) isn't quite all there yet. The scheduling database change occurs, but it doesn't register unless I do something else. Just viewing the schedule viewer brought up via the tray icon menu is enough. But without this (or something like it), the recordings don't happen.

Allen, doesn't the local database manipulation work the same way, though? I mean, I don't have to kick the Fusion s/w after RT has run on the local machine. Why is there a difference when the database is modified on the remote machine? There isn't by any chance a database command that notifies the database owner of a change, is there?

Assuming the difference in the database behavior is an enigma, what creative ways can you guys think of to make sure the reservations work on the remote machine? The tray icon menu triggered schedule view has a timeout (annoying actually), which might make it easier, but I can't trigger the tray icon menu remotely, can I? I'd have to figure out something on the remote machine that would trigger it, and time it so that it happened AFTER the database was updated. Given that I don't want a password on that machine (it's primary purpose is for two small children), I'm stuck with Windows XP SP2's assinign refusal to run a scheduled task!

Details of what I did:

As with last night's test, tonight's programs for the remote Fusion were added to the remote database successfully. However, again, they did not record.

After the first failed, I brought the machine out of the low power state, which consisted only of the HD being spun down and the screen off. But I did this with enough time for them to power down again, to see if I just needed to be powered up at some time after the database was modified. The second failed as well.

That was the last of the scheduled recordings for the evening, so I backed up the clock so that it would not have time to power down before the recording. That too failed.

So I backed up the clock again, and simply opened the schedule viewer (from the tray icon). The reservation was there, and it ran without a hitch.

So I can only conclude at this point that modifying the database isn't enough. You must somehow kick the Fusion s/w to realize it's been changed. I'm not sure of all the ways to kick it, but obviouosly just opening the schedule viewer is enough.

Help!

Xesdeeni
post #839 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Xesdeeni,

In all my testing, I just verified that recordings were entered for the remote Fusion, I never actually tried recording.

I just scheduled a remote Fusion recording for about 40 minutes from now, and I have not touched any Fusion software. I will let you know if it records.

-Dave
post #840 of 2788 Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

So I can only conclude at this point that modifying the database isn't enough. You must somehow kick the Fusion s/w to realize it's been changed. I'm not sure of all the ways to kick it, but obviouosly just opening the schedule viewer is enough.

Help!

Xesdeeni

maybe it's time to look at the other boxes that get dinged when titantv schedules a program for fusion.
the one's that look interesting are called PL_Record and PL_Alarm. both get a check mark when titantv schedules a recording.
LL

-----------
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page