PlayList_Manager & Record_This - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2788 Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
edit: i had forgotten we decided not to have RT fix the fusion app limitation, figuring dvico would fix the fusion bug sometime.
sorry for bringing it up again, RT has ways of limiting the file name length. for future reference, only 57 characters can be used in the file name field, by my count.
so please disregard the post below....
btw, after testing further by typing in characters into the name field in the "manual scheduler", it looks like the "manual scheduler" is what is broken.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, i know we tested the name length before and we know that the epg2list.mdb has a 100 character limit for the pl_name field, but i have gotten this repeatable error on some RT scheduled events and wonder if someone else can see something i don't see.

NASCAR RacingNextel Cup: Chevy Rock & 1130pm-61SPEED-09082006 is the name passed by RT to the PL_Name field.

i count 61 characters in this file name. when you add the file extension there are 65 characters.

here is the file name found on the HD after clearing the error.

NASCAR RacingNextel Cup- Chevy Rock & 1130pm-61SPEED-09082006.mpg

the problem is that until the error is cleared by hitting "ok", the recording does not take place whether in "silent" or "play" mode. when the error is cleared than the recording starts within about 10 seconds even when the start time has passed. this error puts the fusion app in a "suspended animation" like mode.

i can produce the same error using a digital station, so that does not seem to be a factor.

see screen dump for the error and gcode and pl_name field:
i'll add the RT log also:
LL

Record_This_Log.txt 9.5146484375k . file

-----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2788 Old 09-09-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAXKID View Post

edit: i had forgotten we decided not to have RT fix the fusion app limitation, figuring dvico would fix the fusion bug sometime.
sorry for bringing it up again, RT has ways of limiting the file name length. for future reference, only 57 characters can be used in the file name field, by my count.
so please disregard the post below....
btw, after testing further by typing in characters into the name field in the "manual scheduler", it looks like the "manual scheduler" is what is broken.

Looking at the log and counting the characters up to but not including the period in the extension it comes to 100 . That is too much of a coincidence for me. Did I count right???

What do you mean by "manual scheduler"? RT or Fusion? RT makes sure the title is less than 100. I wonder if I should change the logic to make sure the title is less than 95 - the length of the recording folder?

I forgot to ask.... whats with the registry access error while trying to find the correct Program Number? When it fails it just throws a '1' in there and it must be working but is this a problem?
post #993 of 2788 Old 09-09-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Looking at the log and counting the characters up to but not including the period in the extension it comes to 100 . That is too much of a coincidence for me. Did I count right???

What do you mean by "manual scheduler"? RT or Fusion? RT makes sure the title is less than 100. I wonder if I should change the logic to make sure the title is less than 95 - the length of the recording folder?

I forgot to ask.... whats with the registry access error while trying to find the correct Program Number? When it fails it just throws a '1' in there and it must be working but is this a problem?

so, your thoughts are the error is because the fusion app is including the path statement when checking saying "the field is too small to accept the amount of data".

i'll do some testing with shorter path statements and post the results, i hadn't thought of that.

the "manual scheduler" i meant, is the fusion app "manual scheduler" in the control panel.

the "registry access error while trying to find the correct Program Number" appears to be something new(it may be from this beta fusion i'm running. let me check the other machine that has 3.41web before we worry about it)

the "the field is too small to accept the amount of data" error also shows on the 3.41web machine.

i'll do a little testing...

-----------
post #994 of 2788 Old 09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so, your thoughts are the error is because the fusion app is including the path statement when checking saying "the field is too small to accept the amount of data".

i'll do some testing with shorter path statements and post the results, i hadn't thought of that.

nice call on your part, allen.

fusion app throws that "the field is too small to accept the amount of data" error when the length of the filename including the path statement is either 99 or 100 characters, i'll have to test a couple more times to get the exact number. i wonder why they bother with that?

a shorter path statement allowed a longer file name.

it's still a fusion app error, and i don't see a reason for RT to handle it, especially now that we want to use the remotexphome option that uses the local registry and local path statement in the RT log. i don't think there is a reliable way to determine the remote path statement length yet. users can still use the RT options to limit the name length. it might be wise to include the new info in the RT docs.

thanks for looking at that log.

btw the "fusion get program number: query value failed" seems to only be associated with analog stations so far and seems to return different hex(?) numbers each time. i'll try testing with some stripped down RT ini and post results later.

-----------
post #995 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Allen,

I used RT to schedule "The Path to 9/11" on MyHD. The filename generated was:

F:\\HDTV\\The Path to 9/11 () 09-10-06.tp

MyHD complained about the "/" character in the file name when I tried to edit the reservation. When I tried using MyHD/TitanTV to schedule the same program, the MyHD TitanTV helper app converted the title to "The Path to 9#11".

I may not have the latest version of RT. However, I don't think I read any posts about the "/". Personally, I think that "-" is a better replacement for "/", but it might be nice to stay consistent with MyHD.

Thanks,
Dave
post #996 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Hi Allen,

I used RT to schedule "The Path to 9/11" on MyHD. The filename generated was:

F:\\HDTV\\The Path to 9/11 () 09-10-06.tp

MyHD complained about the "/" character in the file name when I tried to edit the reservation. When I tried using MyHD/TitanTV to schedule the same program, the MyHD TitanTV helper app converted the title to "The Path to 9#11".

I may not have the latest version of RT. However, I don't think I read any posts about the "/". Personally, I think that "-" is a better replacement for "/", but it might be nice to stay consistent with MyHD.

Thanks,
Dave

the fusion app does not seem to have a problem with the "/" character.

-----------
post #997 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What does Fusion convert the "/" to? I noticed from your earlier example that it converts ":" to "-".
post #998 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

What does Fusion convert the "/" to? I noticed from your earlier example that it converts ":" to "-".

I just tried using TitanTV to schedule "The Path to 9/11" on Fusion, and the resulting program name was "The Path to 9". It appears that the Fusion TitanTV scheduler does not like the "/" character either.

-Dave
post #999 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well...Windows certainly won't like it if RT circumvents Fusion's truncating the name and it survives to the file setup operation during the capture....
post #1000 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson
i guess it depends on what screen you look at.

looks like the fusion app takes care of the"/" internally.

see all the screens and RT log below:
LL

-----------
post #1001 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried using TitanTV to schedule "The Path to 9/11" on Fusion, and the resulting program name was "The Path to 9". It appears that the Fusion TitanTV scheduler does not like the "/" character either.

-Dave

this is probably titantv doing something not the fusion app, from what i see.

-----------
post #1002 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

looks like the fusion app takes care of the"/" internally.

Evidently, the Fusion scheduler simply deletes "/" rather than converting the character to something else.

However, according to Dave's example, the route from TTV gives a different (much less desirable, IMO) result, truncating the name. Based on our long experience with TTV and MyHD, I doubt very much that TTV takes any corrective action w.r.t. Windows-illegal filename characters, so it seems to me more likely that there are different filters within the Fusion app on the two routes. Since this thread is all about RT, I guess that's really just an academic point.
post #1003 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

MyHD only caught the illegal character when I tried to edit the reservation from RT. It would be interesting to see what MyHD would do if I don't edit the reservation. I will schedule "The Path to 9/11" on my other MyHD card, and I won't edit the reservation.

-Dave
post #1004 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dave, it won't be pretty, I'll bet. At best, you may get a file with a "/" in its name that you'll only be able to access with a "?" wildcard. At worst, you'll get no visible file at all, IIRC our first TTV experiments several years ago.
post #1005 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Allen,
Thanks,
Dave

I find the '#' used in this context to be horrendous. I'll put a hyphen unless there is some other issue.
post #1006 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Dave, it won't be pretty, I'll bet. At best, you may get a file with a "/" in its name that you'll only be able to access with a "?" wildcard. At worst, you'll get no visible file at all, IIRC our first TTV experiments several years ago.

Thanks for letting me know. I will cancel the reservation. No need to screw up my file system for something that Allen is going to fix anyway.

-Dave
post #1007 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MyHD only caught the illegal character when I tried to edit the reservation from RT. It would be interesting to see what MyHD would do if I don't edit the reservation. I will schedule "The Path to 9/11" on my other MyHD card, and I won't edit the reservation.

-Dave

i think your original post about getting RT to handle the "illegal/reserved character" problem is probably the best solution.

from what i can find, RT should substitute "legal" characters for the following characters between the arrows.

----> ? [ ] / \\ = + < > : ; " , *|^<------

any others?

-----------
post #1008 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I find the '#' used in this context to be horrendous. I'll put a hyphen unless there is some other issue.

FYI, I attatched the illegal character warning from MyHD. As long as you are dealing with the "/", you might as well take a look at the other illegal characters.

Thanks,
Dave
LL
post #1009 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think your original post about getting RT to handle the "illegal/reserved character" problem is probably the best solution.

from what i can find, RT should substitute "legal" characters for the following characters between the arrows.

----> ? [ ] / \\ = + < > : ; " , *|^<------

any others?

Looks like you beat me to it. However, I think your list is a little over inclusive. For example, you have ";" in your list, and MyHD uses ";" as a substitute for ":", so ";" must be legal. The comma is legal too. I am not sure about some of the others.

-Dave
post #1010 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like you beat me to it. However, I think your list is a little over inclusive. For example, you have ";" in your list, and MyHD uses ";" as a substitute for ":", so ";" must be legal. The comma is legal too. I am not sure about some of the others.

-Dave

yes, it looks like there are too many in the list when used exclusively in windows, i compiled the list from a few sources, some are "reserved/illegal" when used in various other os and file systems.

http://www.macwindows.com/tutfiles.html
http://www.grouplogic.com/Knowledge/...view&docID=111
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ing_a_file.asp

-----------
post #1011 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, I attatched the illegal character warning from MyHD. As long as you are dealing with the "/", you might as well take a look at the other illegal characters.
Thanks,
Dave

And thank you. Now for finding substitutes.

/ : * ? " < > |
- ; @ $ ' [ ] ^

Any better ideas?
post #1012 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And thank you. Now for finding substitutes.

/ : * ? " < > |
- ; @ $ ' [ ] ^

Any better ideas?

Just map everything to "#".

(Seriously, your substitutions look fine to me)

-Dave
post #1013 of 2788 Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Replaces

/ : * ? " < > | with
- ; # $ ' [ ] ^

See, I did use the hash mark.

Record_This.zip 241.2890625k . file
post #1014 of 2788 Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB
Replaces

/ : * ? " < > | with
- ; # $ ' [ ] ^

See, I did use the hash mark.
ok, the new substituted characters work in winxphome sp2 using ntfs file system and the fusion app. no errors reported by windows or fusion or RT and the scheduled recording took place using the new characters.

the only thing i found different from your above list is that

" actually gets , substituted not ' see log:

-----------
post #1015 of 2788 Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Allen,

I have a feature request for you to consider.

Right now, your program name command looks like this:

Program Name [08:00-09:00 NotSeen Reruns SubTitle "Episode title" AirDate 20060523]

I kept on getting old episodes of the Simpson's, so I added a time restriction as follows:

simpsons [19:00-22:00]

However, today the UPN station had an old episode of the Simpson's on at 19:30, so the time restriction did not filter it.

I have been using the Reruns command over the summer, and today I turned it off, so that should help. However, I have another suggestion.

How about borrowing the fields from the manual entry option to help limit the automatic option. For example, I could use:

simpsons [19:00-22:00 on FOX]

or

simpsons [19:00-22:00 on FOX every s]

In the Bay Area, the syndicated Simpson's reruns are not on FOX, so I would only need to restrict the Simpson's to FOX without restricting the day of the week.

Thanks in advance for considering the suggestion.

-Dave
post #1016 of 2788 Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 AM

Something I was thinking about as well that might be useful. Since RT scans through the xml file for titles it might not be too difficult for it to scan for Actors or Keywords, thereby creating a "wishlist"

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
post #1017 of 2788 Old 09-12-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner
I have a feature request for you to consider.
The additional option in the program data is 'Only'. An example:

Simpsons [Only FOX].

The token that follows 'Only' can be a network/affiliate if one is sure they are supplied in the xml channel data. Otherwise put the channel name as defined in the xml entry.

I needed a break from beating my head against a brick wall trying to solve the XP Home problem. I'm in a huge learning curve the least of which is using MS VS 2005 instead of C++ 6.0. 6.0 is like an old comfortable jacket that is easy to slip on.

VS 2005 while offering the same stuff with a few new gadgets has a whole new interface that one has to learn to maneuver and its a pain. And I have to make sure the generated code file does not require users to install .NET or whatever. I use to know how but have research it again. But thats the least of the difficulties.

I did no testing on this. C'mon, sometimes I do.

Record_This.zip 241.2890625k . file
post #1018 of 2788 Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Allen! That was fast. I will test the new version tomorrow.

The channel id for my Fox network looks like this:

Code:
- 
  2 KTVUDT 
  2 KTVUDT PC:95014 
  56 KTVUDT fcc 
  KTVUDT 
  KTVUDT (KTVU-DT) 
  Fox Affiliate 

Therefore, I should be OK with either:

Simpsons [Only FOX]

or

Simpsons [Only KTVUDT]

Correct?

Also, can I still use the time filter in combination with the new network/channel filter?

I think this feature will be very helpful when recording new episodes of heavily syndicated shows.

-Dave
post #1019 of 2788 Old 09-13-2006, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simpsons [Only FOX]
or
Simpsons [Only KTVUDT]
Correct?
Also, can I still use the time filter in combination with the new network/channel filter?
I think this feature will be very helpful when recording new episodes of heavily syndicated shows.
-Dave

Correct. And it should work in conjunction with everything else.

After a program is found I suppose there should be some logical sequence of checking as to whether it should really be recorded. And of course there is,,,, up to a point. Like make sure the date and time are correct. But after that there near a dozen checks like rerun, hdtv, notseen and on an on. Within those there is some sequence but I'm not sure if its logical. I put 'Only' at then end. Maybe I need to document that sequence so the user can see the priorities, like notseen takes precedence over rerun. Maybe.
post #1020 of 2788 Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Maybe I need to document that sequence so the user can see the priorities, like notseen takes precedence over rerun. Maybe.

documentation is always nice to see how things are supposed to work. most of the things you have done have been explained in this thread, but not all.

one option, i have not figured out is what the shownotseen option does. when i put it in the list of options, i get a error pop-up to tell microsoft about a problem with Record_this.exe.

is there another program needed to complete this "task"?

in a quick test of the "only" option, it seems to work as expected.

-----------
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page