New Unofficial DSCALER5 with 3:2 Pulldown for 1080i - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 342 Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DScaler5 MPEG2 Video Decoder (1080i IVTC/3:2 Pulldown) modification - Thread Summary and Experience
============================================================ ===================

This post is my effort to try and pull together the information contained in this thread and to document my own understanding and experience with this great DScaler(IVTC) MPEG2 Video Decoder modification. Hopefully if there are errors in it, others will post to set me straight, and hopefully the result will be of value to others in gaining the benefit from this outstanding and unique modification. If there are better ways to publish this I will happily remove this post and use the alternate.

It should be reviewed by anyone recording MPEG2 content from Over-the-Air or unencrypted cable ATSC broadcasts because DScaler(IVTC) offers the ability, just as all advanced Flat Panel TV's and DVD players provide, to greatly improve the picture quality of PC playback of all recorded film material, which includes movies and a large portion of most TV broadcasts except for live specials and sports which are primarily video content.

It seems that only about 500 Users have downloaded these IVTC modifications, probably due to a lack of understanding of what they can do and also due to a simple lack of visibility. I myself only found out about this mod due to a recent reply from Mark W on Zoom Player forum when I asked what Video Decoder he was using that gave him closed captions! Thanks Mark! I also want to thank JohnAd and Kzeuh the authors of DScaler and this mod for their great work! May it continue!

Hopefully, I can contribute to increased visibility by including references to DScaler(IVTC) and this post in my "HDTV Tools Kit" which I will soon post on this forum to give others the benefit of my research and experience in building a suite of tools for cleaning, editing, building subtitles from captions, playing, archiving and burning DVD's from recorded HDTV content.

The Original DScaler5
---------------------
First the original DScaler5 is a Direct Show Video Decoder which is now in release 0.0.8 (dll's dated 2/18/06). (Do not confuse it with DScaler4 which is a Media player solution). It has de-interlace support meaning that it will try to mediate combing artifacts on the edges of moving objects in video sourced material that result from the 2 fields that make up each frame of the 30 frames per second video being recorded 1/60 second apart. It will also ignore MPEG Telecine (repeat_first_field) flags if present and play this type of Telecined film material (typically on DVD's) at its original 24 progressive frames per second but it has no ability to detect material already Telecined to 30 frames per second (typically broadcast TV) and hence cannot ignore the repeated Telecined fields in order to play that film material at the original 24 progressive frames per second.

The 3 methods of deinterlacing provided are documented in the DScaler5.chm help file .. Bob, Weave, and Auto which uses the MPEG (Field/Frame & Progressive) Flags to swith between Bob and Weave as required. I note that a deinterlace.ax filter was released by the DScaler team in 2001 whose settings panel offers additional methods: Bob, Weave, TwoFrame, Blended Clipping, Field Bob, and Use DScaler Plug-in. I do not know if any of these are functional, why they are not all in DScaler or how this filter can be used in tandem with todays DScaler. My efforts to feed the DScaler output through this filter resulted in unusual, sometimes reversed direction frame displays. Perhaps someone can clarify this.

There was also a release called DScaler Diag dated 12/18/05, which added 3 dll's (Deint_Diag, DScalerFilter, and FD_DScaler) to the 2 DScaler video dll's (MpegVideo and GenDMOProp). There was no documentation with this release although there was a post indicating that this release included the MoComp2 deinterlacer, however playback was jerky and the filter settings did not change, nor have these 3 dll's been included with subsequent DScaler releases. Hence I do not know what these did or if their function is now included in DScaler, or whether they can be used with DScaler(IVTC). I have registered these 3 dll's but they do not appear to have any effect on the current release. Perhaps someone can explain this original DScaler work too.

DScaler(IVTC)
-------------
The DScaler(IVTC) modification consists of modifications to the 2 DScaler video dll's (MpegVideo and GenDMOProp) that were part of the original DScaler release 0.0.6 in 2/06. The modification is described in the "IVTCReadMe.txt" included in the DscalerIVTC041105.zip (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...8&d=1131149859) and the latest dll's and the final "Dscaler Extensions 251206.Readme.txt" are in the Dscaler5.IVTC.251206.zip (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1167130347) as posted above. It is installed by installing the current DScaler5 0.0.8 release (http://www.dscaler.org/phpBB/viewtop...87c008db3e06a2) and then replacing the 2 dll's, hence it does not have any of the features added in DScaler5 0.0.7 or 0.0.8.

Why do you want DScaler(IVTC) ?
-------------------------------
Film material that has been converted from its original 24 progressive frames per second to the 30 frames per second required for 1080i(interlaced)/30(frames per second) TV broadcasting is called Hard Telecined. This is the format used by CBS, NBC, CW, and PBS. This hard telecine technique results in one field being repeated out of every second original film frame and on 1080i(interlaced)30(frames per second) broadcasts these extra fields result in 2 interlaced frames out of every 5.

While CRT televisions are designed to play 30 frames per second interlaced material, one field at a time, and eliminate these interlacing effects, newer flatpanel displays however (including PC monitors) are designed to display progressive material, one whole frame at a time, and the 2 extra Telecined fields would create flicker and the resultant 2 interlaced frames would trigger de-interlacing that will reduce picture quality compared to the original theatre film. Hence newer flatpanel televisions have the ability to detect hard telecined film material, remove the extra fields, and reconstruct the original progressive frames for playback 24 frames per second. This is typically refered to as 3:2 pulldown (the ability to pull 3:2 30 fps hard telecined material back down to 24 fps) but it is properly called Inverse Telecine or IVTC, and it results in no interlaced frames, no flicker and improved picture quality. Some PC video cards may also provide this IVTC/3:2 pulldown capability independent of the PC software video decoder.

Hardware DVD players also offer this Progressive 24 fps output and most Software DVD Players as well as the original DScaler also have the ability to output 24 fps by simply ignoring the MPEG Telecined flags as described above. However until the availability of DScaler(IVTC) there was no ability for PC players to also detect hard telecined material like the newer televisions and to IVTC it (remove the repeated fields and restore the original 24 progressive frames per second). Players using video decoders without IVTC, treat this material as interlaced and weave the fields together resulting in reduced resolution, blended pixels and reduced video quality.

Now with DScaler(IVTC) 1080i hard telecined material can be played back with no interlaced frames, no flicker, and no reduced resolution to provide the best possible picture quality. Note that DScaler(IVTC) is designed only for 1080i hard Telecined content but ABC and FOX utilize a 720p(progressive)/30(frames per second) format. This format is not detected nor are any extra frames removed by DScaler(IVTC). The original DScaler authors have indicated their intent to add IVTC support to the original DScaler and to add this 720p film detect & frame removal capability. Until then it is recommended that IVTC be disabled when watching 720P content.

It is also recommended that the IVTC be disabled when watching primarily video content, because DScaler(IVTC) has a strong bias to maintain its IVTC film mode, once it is started which may create unexpected artifacts in video content.

Because DScaler(IVTC) is the only video decoder with this hard telecined IVTC capability and it becomes important to understand the environment within which it operates correctly and how to configure it to operate in the best way.

Compatible Filters
------------------
My testing on XP SP2 revealed the following DirectShow filter combinations provide ZOOM Player, MPC (Media Player Classic) and WMP (Windows Media Player) player compatibility. These filters which are all either provided with Windows or free on the Internet and where applicable should be set at the highest merit(I use "DirectShow Filter Manager"), and selected as the "Playback - Smartplay/Video Renderer/Audio Renderer/DVD" default components in ZOOM Player, and as the external filters in MPC. Others have referenced success with the Nero Splitter ($$) and a need for Reclock Audio Renderer but it caused problems for me.
The following filters worked flawlessly with both MPEG Program Stream (.mpg) (Ripped DVD's) and MPEG Transport Stream (.ts) (HDTV ATSC) files.

Haali Media Splitter
MPEG2 Demultiplexer (Transport Stream)
MPEG2 Splitter (Program Stream)
DScaler(IVTC) Video Decoder
DirectVOBSub
VMR9 Video Renderer
AC3 Audio Decoder
Directsound Audio Renderer

What these Filters Do
---------------------
The Haali Media Splitter allows all 3 players to jump forward and back on their timelines, allows subtitles to stay in sync with these jumps, and eliminates stutter and sound glitches with DScaler and AC3.

DScaler(IVTC) allows all film material to be detected and played at 24fps. This can be confirmed by using the IVTC Display status option(see below), hot keys in Zoom Player - 'I' which will display the actual frame rate, and 'A' to reset the frame rate and to step through the video frame by frame and see the continuous "no stutter" frames.

DScaler(IVTC) works both with full movies and with interspersed film/video content, for example the PBS special "25 Years of Nature" featured video and film segments which IVTC identified and switched smoothly to 24 fps as required. It also supports ATSC Closed Captioning as well as the NTSC DVD closed captioning and these may be displayed with ZOOM Player using the latest 5.5 release or with Mediagraphs as described in the last DScaler(IVTC) read me.

DirectVOBSub allows subtitles to be displayed. (These can be ripped from DVD or generated from Closed Captions using SCCTOOLS)

VMR9 allows subtitles and Zoom closed captions to be overlayed on the video.

AC3 and Directsound allow AC3 sound without stutter.

DScaler(IVTC) MPEG2 Video Decoder Filter Options
------------------------------------------------
The DScaler Options are listed below with the Neutral (Default) Settings shown in (). They are described in the DScaler Help file and DScaler(IVTC) ReadMe files referenced above. Previous entries in this forum have indicated the options shown in [] should be set in DScaler(IVTC) in place of the defaults. Note that for these options to be retained, they must be set while a video is playing or paused (ie: while DScaler(IVTC) is being used). These filter settings may be accessed through the Zoom Player/MPC right click menus under Filter Properties/Filters, or via tools such as the "DirectShow Filter Manager". Note also that changes are effective in real-time once the "Apply" button is clicked.

Display Forced Subtitles......- (ON) / OFF
3:2 Playback Smoothing........- (ON) / [OFF] = On for 60 hz displays only; Off for others [Edited Sept 4/07 per posts below]

Inverse Telecine - NB: DScaler is always looking for MPEG Flags. This option only controls the hard Telecine pixel detection of repeat fields.
- (Disable) = Use if content is primarily Video to disable pixel detection of repeat fields.
- Enable only if IVTC Flags are found = Start pixel detect of 3:2 sequences only after an MPEG Repeat_first_field flag is found.(Use to reduce CPU load)
- Always Enabled = Analyses pixels in the fields looking for 3:2 sequences then starts 3:2 pulldown until sequences stop.
- [Always Enabled(Display Status)] = Adds a line 1 indicator showing when IVTC is active ... for IVTC after MPEG flag, ___ for IVTC after pixel detect.

Adjust FPS if any telecined film
- (Keep 29.97-30 FPS) = best for 60hz monitor
- Set to 23.976-24 FPS = best for 72 hz monitor, perfect for 48 hz monitor

Deinterlace Mode
- (Automatic)
- Force Weave- NB: Deinterlacing mode is ignored and forced to weave when IVTC is enabled.
- Force Bob

Video Delay...................- (0) to 200 ms = Adjust for lip sync
Use Accurate Aspect ratios....- ON / (OFF) = I don't know why off is the default..I use ON
DVB Aspect Preference.........- (16:9 Display) / 4:3 Display Center Cut out / 4:3 Display LetterBox
Hardcode for PAL with ffdshow.- ON / (OFF)
IDCT to Use...................- Reference / MMX Only / (Accelerated)
Output Colour Space...........- YV12 / (YUY2) NB: YV12 which DScaler says is preferred for film, produced Black and White Segments on my display
Do Analog Blanking............- (ON) / OFF = Crops Analog TV Material to 704x480 which is more accurately 16:9 or 4:3 than 720x480
Force Field 1 first Flag......- ON / (OFF)

Two Final Points
----------------

Since the goal of all this is to get the best picture with the maximum detail and resolution, it should be obvious that you want to set your display to its maximum resolution and color quality. In my case this is 1440x900 pixels and 32 bits. If you do not, you need to understand that the picture will be scaled by the display adapter down to the resolution you have chosen and in IVTC mode the resultant sampling and interpolation of th "weaved" de-interlaced scenes when video material is encountered may cause significant combing effects. You can test this yourself by pausing an interlaced video at various points and resizing to see the effect at different resolutions. Just small differences in resolution can have major impact on this combing.

You also need to understand that in performing the IVTC, DScaler(IVTC) after it has detected a 3 field:2 field sequence has to rebuild progressive frames using two fields contained in different interlaced frames (ie: the 2's in this hard Telecined 5 frame-10 field sequence: 1-1 1-2 2-3 3-3 4-4). It is therefore possible, particularly when pausing a video and stepping forward by frame and depending on the paused frame, or at transition points between video and film content, that DScaler(IVTC) will stop these rebuilds, in which case the 3 original progressive frames will be followed by one of the original interlaced frames. Restarting a paused video, or playing through to the next film sequence will restart the correct rebuilds.

Based on all of these points, the DScaler(IVTC) MPEG Video Decoder is providing me with a picture quality unsurpassed by any other Video Decoder I have tested.

Feedback requested and appreciated so I can update this post for others.
PM's preferred for in-depth replies/discussion
==========================================================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 342 Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

JHB50

3:2 Playback smoothing should be OFF for 24/28/96hz displays (and 50/75/100hz too).

Only on for 60hz displays.

It's wrong in the text above.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #273 of 342 Old 08-31-2007, 09:49 AM

Second Mark_A_W's words;
It would cause some 10 mSec of Jitter with 3:2 playback smoothing CHECKED, you can verify this by VMR9's quality info.

Other than that, it's a very educational summary; Thanks, jhb50.
post #274 of 342 Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Wow, can't believe I got it right but one!!
Noted, edited and changed my setup. Thanks.
post #275 of 342 Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb50 View Post

There was also a release called DScaler Diag dated 12/18/05, which added 3 dll's (Deint_Diag, DScalerFilter, and FD_DScaler) to the 2 DScaler video dll's (MpegVideo and GenDMOProp). There was no documentation with this release although there was a post indicating that this release included the MoComp2 deinterlacer, however playback was jerky and the filter settings did not change, nor have these 3 dll's been included with subsequent DScaler releases. Hence I do not know what these did or if their function is now included in DScaler, or whether they can be used with DScaler(IVTC). I have registered these 3 dll's but they do not appear to have any effect on the current release. Perhaps someone can explain this original DScaler work too.

That was because I bugged JohnAd too many times of adding a real "video" deinterlace in DScaler 5 decoder!

The "Diag" version does ONLY VIDEO deinterlace for real 60i video content, using the upcoming "Diag" video deinterlacing method which is a improved version of the great "MoComp2" video deinterlacer in DScaler 4. Right now there is not much use of it because user needs to manually swap the 2 DScaler filters for different content because they use the same DirectShow ID. In the end the "Diag" should be integrated in the DScaler 5 decoder/filter so that the filter will automatically use the "Diag" for video deinterlacing when film content (3/2) is not detected.

Recently I'm trying to setup a 48Hz output playback for film content but there is some stutter issue. Maybe I mess up some setting. Will try again...

regards,

Li On
post #276 of 342 Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, in Dscaler5 I don't think any deinterlacing works except Weave. I don't think anything else was implemented yet....and may never be.

post #277 of 342 Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
jhb50

Thanks for the great summary of the current position.

Cheers

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhb50 View Post

When i started the DScaler5 piece I had a somewhat grand vision, the main part of it was to create a directshow fiter that performed all the processing that the DScaler app does, iintially concentrating on dvd, dvb sources. Early on in the process I ran into a number of issues.
1) None of the mpeg decoders at the time gave output that was suitable for processing properly for IVTC or video deinterlacing, this meant if I was going to do this I needed my own mpeg decoder
2) The existing DScaler film detection doesn't work very well on 2:2 mixed content and since that is what my primary viewing consists I haven't been spending much time on IVTC at this stage
3) The DirectShow model and the way mpeg video is decoded means that smooth playback with significant processing requires significant horsepower and my old setup was simply not beefy enough.
4) I was very very busy at work

Still I pressed on and released the early versions of the mpeg decoder which was required to get my hands on the stream, at the moment the mpeg decoder is OK but has several bugs that may well require significant further work to fix, these are mainly around the area of dynamic reconnection with the various renderers and also problems with encoding apps (this is what i'm spending my time on at the moment and it is an uphill struggle). I also tried to look at getting deinterlacing working and thinking about film detection with a slant towards to issues with 2:2 detection.

As Li On says above I did have some code relating to an initial attempt to build a filter chain within the decoder and at that time was also experimenting with an improved deinterlacing routine (with what I think is a first, proper chroma deinterlacing) based on a constantly updated movement history table, part of this code had not yet been converted to assembler and was very slow but I think gave a feel for what I was trying to do. My plan was to to build more sophisticated film detection based on the movement history table rather than building on the simpler but less relibale diff method used by DScaler4. This work has basically died, partly because the design is too complex and the code not good enough but the ideas and some of the deinterlacing code should be usable going forward. The code I released then was based of a branch of the main filter code and things have now moved too far away to be possible to be brought back in line.

In the mean time kzeuh made his changes to a significantly olfder version of the filter than the one I'm currently working on making it hard to intergrate the changes. I've fixed a number of the other issues (e.g. CC) in the main code but still have to work out a good way of adding IVTC in a way that means we can work in parallel on different ways of doing it. For NTSC mostly film viewing the diff based approach will probably be good enough at least initially. My plan is to get the current decoder working well enough to release another version without IVTC and then to quicky intergrate kzeuh's method and then do another release.

Going forward it would be significantly easier if developers could join the project properly and work on the main tree.

John

My Company - Upsilon Software
Free Projects - DScaler & hcfr fork
post #278 of 342 Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not to nag, but any developments?

I like software updates even if they don't do anything! Higher build numbers make me feel warm inside.
post #279 of 342 Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

@John,

Very glad to hear that there is an upcoming version of DScaler DirectShow Filter!!!
post #280 of 342 Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you kzeuh and JohnAd for keeping DScaler going. And thank you jhb50 for the very informative "state of the codec" post. I am thrilled to hear of ANY movement on this project. I've been using DScaler5 for as long as I have had an HTPC (about 18 months now), and seeing the lack of activity on the DScaler5 boards, I was very concerned things were going to die off. I knew about this thread for some time, but since 1080i was only a small percentage of what I watch, I didn't think it really applied to me. I'm glad to learn I was wrong and that movement continues. And with this post, I will now be subscribed.
post #281 of 342 Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM

I have a DScaler (Standard and IVTC) deinterlacing problem that I hope one of you folks can comment on.

I have 3 1080i .ts video clips from HDTV that exhibits interlacing, which means that they come from video sources.

When I play them using the DScaler Video Decoder with WMP they exibit no interlacing..ie: Deinterlacing works.
When I play them using the DScaler Video Decoder with Zoom or MPC they show interlacing. ie: Deinterlacing does not work

So my real problem is why deinterlacing (auto, bob or weave) is not working with MPC or Zoom when it is set on.

Examining the frames with Video-re-do or by zoom stepping they are the expected 11 12 23 33 44 field pattern (NIINN) with 2 interlaced frames(I) then 3 normal(N). The frames themselves have the top field first flag set and no repeat first field or progressive flags.

If I turn on IVTC in Descaler I get 2 different results. In one area of the video the IINNN IINNN becomes ISNNN ISNNN or SINNN SINNN where (S) is a skiped frame, so rather than the 2 interlaced frames yielding 1 skipped and 1 normal frame, one of the interlaced frames remains and one of the normal frames is skipped. In the second area the IINNN IINNN becomes IIINS IIINS OR SIINI SIINI , where both Interlaced frames remain, a normal is changed to interlaced, and the last normal is skipped.

So in both cases the fames were combined incorrectly but I can only guess at the error sequence. This might shed some light on the problem.

Can anyone explain this an how I get rid of these bad interlaced frames? IVTC is the only decoder to correctly decode Closed Captions so I do not have the option of choosing another decoder.
post #282 of 342 Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

1. The IVTC version of Dscaler is for film only.

2. Based on your reported results, I don't think you are using Dscaler in WMP. How do you know?

post #283 of 342 Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Glad to hear from you Mark...you were the one who pointed me the way to IVTC over in Zoom.

Under WMP.. File.. Properties.. it shows Video Codec ..DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder

I understand that IVTC is intended for film but I'm also getting this result with the original DScaler so it's a deinterlace problem that I'm trying to solve with both versions.

Maybe as someone posted earlier Deinterlace does not work with DScaler despite the availabilty of Interlacing options.

PS: I'm getting this problem in both XP with VMR9 and Vista with EVR.
post #284 of 342 Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM

I was mistaken about a couple of things.

First the video I described is film which has been telecined into 11 12 23 33 44 field frames and plays at 24fps, and so requires either IVTC or deinterlacing to play correctly. Based on my results it appears that DScaler IVTC is not deinterlacing correctly because with IVTC off I still get interlacing but also with IVTC on it is getting confused and not IVTC'ing correctly leaving some frames interlaced. I have a second video which is video, and displays every frame as interlaced and plays at 30fps regardless of the IVTC and/or deinterlace setting.

Secondly with WMP the interlacing is still present with DScaler. What happens is that if the size is at 50% of the 1920x1080, namely 960x540 the video is scaled and the interlacing field does not display.

So bottom line, I am not getting DScaler to deinterlace with either the standard DScaler or the IVTC extension version, on either XP or Vista. Is this a DScaler bug or a quirk with my system?
post #285 of 342 Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't think Dscaler (any version) had any deinterlacing apart from weave.

I use it for Film only. If I do need deinterlacing from a DVD (very rare) I turn deinterlacing on in Ffdshow.

post #286 of 342 Old 04-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks Mark.

I think my problem has been a lack of understanding of deinterlacing along with IVTC problems. Thanks for you pointers.

As I now understand it deinterlacing simply takes 2 interlaced fields (as shown by flags in the mpeg stream) and puts them together in various ways to create a progressive frame for viewing on a progressive display. De-interlacing does not mean getting rid of the comb effects although the method of de-interlacing (creating a progressive frame) may do so !

The techniques are varied but the simplist ones are "Bob" which doubles up the lines in each field and creates half resolution frames out of each field, and weave which simply smashes the two fields together, and if there was motion between them will create a combing effect.

Since IVTC is designed to work with telecined film which has a 30 fps 11 12 23 33 44 field sequence and convert it to a 24 fps 11 22 33 44 sequence which has no motion between the fields, the use of weave by IVTC is appropriate, however if IVTC gets confused in its decoding, as it does in my first example and leaves some frames as 12 or 23 then these combing artifacts will display. This IVTC confusion results from material which has telecined material mixed with other non-telecined material. This is common with many HDTV PBS documentaries. This is what happened with my first example file.

DScaler and DSCaler IVTC also have "Deinterlace" options Automatic, Force Weave and Force Bob. One would hence expect these to work. They do not! Material from a Video source will continue to display the "Weave" comb artifacts even if "Bob" is selected. Hence the problem with my second example file which shows comb effects on every frame.

In both cases the comb effects can be eliminated by displaying the 1920x1080i video at 960x540 and letting the resizing algorithm remove every second line which creates the comb effect, but this is not due to DScaler deinterlacing.

Your suggestion to use the ffdshow filter to deinterlace video sourced files is a good one. It will also support the display of subtitles. I have also found that the Intervideo Video Decoder from the COLE Codex Pack, will also de-interlace correctly and show closed captions and subtitles correctly as did DeScaler IVTC.
post #287 of 342 Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post

I didn't think Dscaler (any version) had any deinterlacing apart from weave.

I use it for Film only. If I do need deinterlacing from a DVD (very rare) I turn deinterlacing on in Ffdshow.

Just out of curiosity, what deinterlacing settings do you use in ffdshow?
post #288 of 342 Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone ever get a hold of amigenius DScaler sources ?

Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining !
Come and visit our French speaking forum : www.cinetson.org
post #289 of 342 Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Bump, curious to see if there are any developments for this awesome IVTC playback filter. Or are there any more modern alternatives?
post #290 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Has anyone successfully used the excellent Dscaler5 decoder on Windows 7 x64? Every time I try to access its properties, the player crashes (both MPC-HC & DVBViewer, IVTC & non-IVTC verseion).
post #291 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 PM

x64? Are you implying it works on Windows 7 32-bit?
post #292 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot View Post

x64? Are you implying it works on Windows 7 32-bit?

Erm, haven't tried it but it'll assume it doesn't... The decoder seems to load though but its properties are inaccessible. Actually, they are through graphstudio but I'm not sure if that helps.
post #293 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM

You don't like Microsoft's decoder?
post #294 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:

You don't like Microsoft's decoder?

Νο, it gives me an annoying flicker at top+bottom of video, probably caused by hardware (ATI) deinterlacing. Ffdshow+yadif deinterlacing works much better. Dscaler+ffdshow post-processing could maybe further improve MPEG-2 quality for Sat-Tv.
post #295 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
DScaler IVTC Mod works fine here on win7 x64. You need to add the media player to the list of DEP (data execution prevention) excludes.
post #296 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM

Where can I find the DScaler IVTC Mod?
post #297 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Laserdisc View Post

Has anyone successfully used the excellent Dscaler5 decoder on Windows 7 x64? Every time I try to access its properties, the player crashes (both MPC-HC & DVBViewer, IVTC & non-IVTC verseion).

Works fine for me in Zoom Player on W7 x64.

You have to access the properties during playback.

And obviously you must be using 32bit MPC-HC as it is a 32bit Filter.

post #298 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

What Mark_A_W said.

tt
post #299 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM

Mark & tt, are you guys using the old 5.0.0.8? Do you find it better than the Microsoft decoder?
post #300 of 342 Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mark & tt, are you guys using the old 5.0.0.8? Do you find it better than the Microsoft decoder?

Yes 5008 is the last I've installed with ZP Home pro 7 running on 64 bit Win 7 Pro.

I rarely look at DVD anymore - last time was in early January when I watched Ken Burns' Baseball series so its been along time since I tweaked my setup or compared codecs. When I was playing seriously with ZP configurations, BD was in its infancy and DSCALER looked best for me. It works for me so I don't play with it, thus I've not looked at MS's recent efforts.

Sorry I can't help you beyond that.
tt
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page