Closed Thread

post #61 of 156 Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM
JJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MCE2005 with

Avermedia 1500MCE and Avermedia180 (2) works fine in both machines. I also have TiVo H10-250 receiver and my lovely bride actually prefers MCE.

Part of the decision is the monthly charge for "local channels" I get those over the air and they are not delivered to me by DirecTV. OK they deliver program guide data, big whoop, that is only part of the value DirecTV describes as its 'service' to me. MCE2005 guide data is equal to or superior to TiVo, that is what s natively displayed on screen. There may be much additional data that TiVo does not display, but unless you go to heroic measures its not visible.

Also there is not a 2 year service level commitment when using MCE2005 boxes. If you decide to change the television access in your life you are not heavily penalized for your decision...

JJ
The Original Technology Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3
Just wondering if you had heard regarding the new driver. I happed to talk to my guy in sales on monday, and he said that the driver should be available this week sometime. He promised to let me at it once he got it, but no word yet.
I did hear back from the person who was e-mailing me from support at Kworld and he sent the new driver.zip file Monday night. I tried it yesterday and it seemed to work fine after Standby as opposed to not being able to tune anymore.

I'm not seeing an option here to attach a file to a post so I'm not sure the best way to share the driver file. I'm not sure if it's safe to post my e-mail address either or if I will get flooded with spam that way. Is there a private message feature here on AVS Forum? If so you could do that and I could then forward the driver.zip file to you, it's 250K in size or so.

Otherwise if you call or e-mail Kworld Support hopefully you will find someone who knows about the new driver or can keep asking until you do because it does exist. They haven't officially posted it yet though as a new driver Download on their site.
post #63 of 156 Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnupurize
I did hear back from the person who was e-mailing me from support at Kworld and he sent the new driver.zip file Monday night. I tried it yesterday and it seemed to work fine after Standby as opposed to not being able to tune anymore.

I'm not seeing an option here to attach a file to a post so I'm not sure the best way to share the driver file. I'm not sure if it's safe to post my e-mail address either or if I will get flooded with spam that way. Is there a private message feature here on AVS Forum? If so you could do that and I could then forward the driver.zip file to you, it's 250K in size or so.

Otherwise if you call or e-mail Kworld Support hopefully you will find someone who knows about the new driver or can keep asking until you do because it does exist. They haven't officially posted it yet though as a new driver Download on their site.
Thanks for sharing...

Yes, avs has a private message option. It appears you don't have the feature enabled (you can do that under your profile settings.

alternatively you can attach a message to a post (its below the text area, under 'Additional Options' the 'managage attachments' button.

if you want you can send me the driver at:

driver.3.sterno3 @ spamgourmet.com

(It is one time email, so that's why it looks so goofy). otherwise you can PM me once you get it enabled, and I can give you a more traditional email address to send it to.
post #64 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing...

Yes, avs has a private message option. It appears you don't have the feature enabled (you can do that under your profile settings.

alternatively you can attach a message to a post (its below the text area, under 'Additional Options' the 'managage attachments' button.
Here is the file if I attached it correctly. I also sent it to mell1n to host it if anybody wants to get it from there.

The driver.zip file just has the Driver folder with the driver stuff in it. It doesn't have the Installshield to install the driver. If you download the latest drivers file from kworldcomputer.com and extract that and install them (which you might want to do first anyways if you haven't already) then you'll have the framework to use the new drivers. I just replaced the Driver folder from the download from Kworld with the new Driver folder from the attached zip file and then used the setup to install the drivers.

Driver.zip 246.53515625k . file
post #65 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnupurize
Here is the file if I attached it correctly. I also sent it to mell1n to host it if anybody wants to get it from there.

The driver.zip file just has the Driver folder with the driver stuff in it. It doesn't have the Installshield to install the driver. If you download the latest drivers file from kworldcomputer.com and extract that and install them (which you might want to do first anyways if you haven't already) then you'll have the framework to use the new drivers. I just replaced the Driver folder from the download from Kworld with the new Driver folder from the attached zip file and then used the setup to install the drivers.
Thanks, I happened to get the driver from my sales guy today. I just installed it, and my machine can now hibernate & suspend and come back & tune. To install, I just unzipped it and ran the 'SetupDrv.exe'. It upgraded the drivers (note it takes a full restart to make the drivers take effect).

As a side note I also upgraded to 4.1 last night, and have had much better luck with the replay of 1080i material.
post #66 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 PM

thanks for the driver update

I have a question about the atsc 110, is there a way to use the remote with other software besides beyond tv
post #67 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 PM

I can only report limited success. When I come back out of standby, the tuner will tune, that is to say, I don't get a black screen. However, the video is choppy... to the point where it's unwatchable. Only the video is choppy, not the audio, which makes me think signal strength is not the issue. I left my antenna and everything the same and did a full restart and I was able to display the channel just fine (no choppy video). This is with GAM.

edit: The included beyond TV 3.8 is unaffected, strange.
post #68 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 PM

sterno3,

can you confirm that the BTV3 from outpost.com / Fry's comes with a free upgrade to BTV4. How does the upgrade process work ?

/// Motulal
post #69 of 156 Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM

post #70 of 156 Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulal
sterno3,

can you confirm that the BTV3 from outpost.com / Fry's comes with a free upgrade to BTV4. How does the upgrade process work ?

/// Motulal
I can confirm it works...in fact the dvd case that the BTV3 software comes in, has a huge "UPGRADE TO BTV4 for FREE" sticker on it, and the back has step by step instructions on how to do it. I never even put the install cd into my PC.

Basically you go to a website(https://www.snapstream.net/ssyahoost...ification.aspx), enter the (LOOOOOONG) key from your box, and it adds the upgrade to your cart with a price of $0.00. You don't have to enter your billing information, and it gives you a new key for 4.x

It then sends an email with the key, and you just click on the link that does an auto dowload of the 4.1 version, you have to enter the key when it asks, and then shut down BTV3.8. It does a install of 4.1 without having to unistall 3.8.

This is easily the slickest upgrade path I have EVER been involved in. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Unfortunately the price is up to $69.99 with no rebates now. Keep watching it will probably go back down (it was Free After Rebate back in December). Good luck.
post #71 of 156 Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

All,

I just wanted to let you know my positive experience with KWorld. I was skeptical of the company due to a previous experience with a rebate (i had to pester them in the past to get them to send my rebate on another item).

I called a couple weeks ago, and talked with support. Despite them never hearing about the suspend/hibernate issue, they seemed willing to look at it. I believe someone else in this thread called/emailed to substantiate my issue. Lo and Behold less than 2 weeks later we now have a functioning driver. Great support for a really frustrating issue.

I also spoke with sales regarding the 'No subscription fees ever' claim that was not true. The person I spoke with was VERY forthcoming and understanding. He definately wanted to ensure I was a happy customer in the end.

He worked with me on about 5 different options to make things right. Including an RMA, sending me a new box, getting a discounted license from snapstream etc. I finally settled on the upgrade to 4.1. I really liked the card for the price and with the potential for getting the suspend fixed, I decided to keep it.

I am still waiting for my rebate, but that should come in a week or so.

GREAT JOB Kworld! Great tech support, great customer service, and a great value product (in the end).
post #72 of 156 Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Liked: 18
I jumped on this deal for the HDTV tuner card and the Beyond TV3. At the time I placed the order last night the links to the rebates for the Beyond TV3 did not work. I requested that Outpost send me the rebate forms. Now I see that I do not qualify for either rebate. One $20 rebate is only if purchased with Beyond Media on the same invoice. The other $20 rebate is a competitive upgrade rebate which requires proof of prior ownership of Intervideo Home Theater, Cyberlink Power Cinema, Honestech My IC-TV, or Honestech My IC-TV Media Center Deluxe. Should I keep the Beyond TV3 at $49.99 plus shipping or are there better options at that price? Thanks.
post #73 of 156 Old 01-27-2006, 03:08 PM

well for 20 dollars more you can get BTV 4 from snap stream and a firefly remote. but that only last untill the end of the month
post #74 of 156 Old 01-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel
I jumped on this deal for the HDTV tuner card and the Beyond TV3. At the time I placed the order last night the links to the rebates for the Beyond TV3 did not work. I requested that Outpost send me the rebate forms. Now I see that I do not qualify for either rebate. One $20 rebate is only if purchased with Beyond Media on the same invoice. The other $20 rebate is a competitive upgrade rebate which requires proof of prior ownership of Intervideo Home Theater, Cyberlink Power Cinema, Honestech My IC-TV, or Honestech My IC-TV Media Center Deluxe. Should I keep the Beyond TV3 at $49.99 plus shipping or are there better options at that price? Thanks.
Fark...i didn't check the conditions of the rebates. Now I can't open the versions I saved to my pc either. I will have to email CS to get the rebates. I won't qualify for either of the rebates...grrrr....i can't believe i got burnt on this!
post #75 of 156 Old 01-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fark...i didn't check the conditions of the rebates. Now I can't open the versions I saved to my pc either. I will have to email CS to get the rebates. I won't qualify for either of the rebates...grrrr....i can't believe i got burnt on this!
After posting this I called Outpost.com's Cust. Service. I spoke with the rep for about 20 minutes about this rebates. She assured me that the one Rebate does NOT require the purchase of Beyond Media. The phrasing of the rebate is a bit murky, but it states:
  1. Purchase SnapStream Beyond TV3 and/or SnapStream Beyond Media...
(Bolding added).

If you buy both you get $40 back, if you buy one or the other you get $20 back.

I then asked her about the competative rebate, and stated that the sale page was not clear that it was a competitive rebate. She said she needed to talk to the 'software' guy about it, and that since it was early Sat. morning, he would give me a call back. He never did, so I called back today, at first the CSR said that I needed to talk to a manager (her's wasn't in). She said I would get a call back. I insisted that we take care of it because I had called earlier, she said, "Wait a minute", and then came back and said that my account will be credited the $20 in 10 days from the 28th (the day I called).

So, I think I should be ok, and I might recomend trying the same, if you don't meet eligibility for the upgrade rebate. Good luck.
post #76 of 156 Old 01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy
They are in stock at Fry's for $99. The front panel on the PCI card has multiple jacks:

2 F-connectors for OTA antennas (ATSC/8VSB plus NTSC/analog cable)(but no QAM support that I can see)
1 mini phone jack stereo audio input
1 mini phone jack stereo audio output
1 S-Video input
1 Composite video input
1 sub-mini phone for IR sensor

This is a software tuner that requires a graphics card capable of driving whatever HD display you are using, and a 1.6Ghz+ CPU for MPEG decoding. Also required is an AC97-compatible sound card for Dolby Digital AC-3 output from ATSC broadcasts - the audio panel jack is analog sound only.

Bundled software includes SnapStream BeyondTV, claiming complete PVR function and support for MCE and XP. The IR remote is included, but you gotta buy your own batteries for it...

The most interesting feature: It claims "Record two or more shows at once" (with a footnote that says "In order to record two or more shows, you must own multiple TV Tuner cards. ").

I remain skeptical of the last claim, since none of the other software cards actually work that way presently. Anybody confirmed it?

Manufacturer link: http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/...c_110.htm#list

Gary
Is there any cards that support QAM?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #77 of 156 Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 AM

Yes the Fusion Gold PCI and USB support QAM. Also the MyHD MDP-130 supports QAM, but it's a hardware solution card, uses it's own vid out not the graphics cards. Fusion works with MCE and third party software like (Beyond TV) but not for QAM. You'll need to use their sometimes less than stable app software for QAM. MyHD runs only under its own app for OTA and/or QAM.

IMHO the MyHD is the most stable card (and most expensive) for HDTV on a PC, probably because it controls all the input and output. The Fusion has new "challenges" with every (very frequent) software release. But it's fun if you like to play find what's fixed and what's now broken. (See all the discussion groups on the fusion). It never gets boring.
post #78 of 156 Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussT
Yes the Fusion Gold PCI and USB support QAM. Also the MyHD MDP-130 supports QAM, but it's a hardware solution card, uses it's own vid out not the graphics cards. Fusion works with MCE and third party software like (Beyond TV) but not for QAM. You'll need to use their sometimes less than stable app software for QAM. MyHD runs only under its own app for OTA and/or QAM.

IMHO the MyHD is the most stable card (and most expensive) for HDTV on a PC, probably because it controls all the input and output. The Fusion has new "challenges" with every (very frequent) software release. But it's fun if you like to play find what's fixed and what's now broken. (See all the discussion groups on the fusion). It never gets boring.

With a hardware solution card can you store and record to your hardrive, or is it for watching only?

I am interested in recording TIVO like HDTV programming and watching it at a more convienent time.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #79 of 156 Old 02-01-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick
With a hardware solution card can you store and record to your hardrive, or is it for watching only?

I am interested in recording TIVO like HDTV programming and watching it at a more convienent time.
You bet. You can schedule recording thru TitanTV (with either Fusion or MyHD) and pause/timeshift live programs. Basically everything Tivo does other than the automatic scheduling. And with no monthly fee. You also get a remote with either card. Make sure you have plenty of drive space if you record alot. An hour HD show can run 8-9GB. An external USB 2.0 dirve is an easy way to increase your storage and it works just fine for recording/playback. Make sure you have at least a 800 MHz processor and XP is the preferred OS.
post #80 of 156 Old 02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussT
You bet. You can schedule recording thru TitanTV (with either Fusion or MyHD) and pause/timeshift live programs. Basically everything Tivo does other than the automatic scheduling. And with no monthly fee. You also get a remote with either card. Make sure you have plenty of drive space if you record alot. An hour HD show can run 8-9GB. An external USB 2.0 dirve is an easy way to increase your storage and it works just fine for recording/playback. Make sure you have at least a 800 MHz processor and XP is the preferred OS.
Excellent!

I have three 250 GIG hardrives, as my main drives.

Two are WD 250 GIG 16MB Cache models with SATA II-3G interface conrollers, and compatitable... and they are stripped in RAID 0 for 50% better performance than a single drive.

The other is a normal Seagate ATA IDE version with 8MB cache and 7200RPM....

About 200 Gig's is currently full.... But I find with HDTV and DVD's I need lots of storage room. I am also im process of burning my Mini-DV tapes to DVD too...

Do people normally store the programs on their hard drives permanently?

I think I would just watch and it and delete.

I am really interested in getting a way to stream the video from my PC to a projector in the other room........ for viewing.

Any cool products to do this?

-

post #81 of 156 Old 02-01-2006, 05:34 PM

I feel like we are highjacking the Kworld thread. Yes there is a product that will take streaming HD over ethernet and output to component - via YPbPr.

I'll send you a link to the product and the MyHD via AVS mail along with a couple of other things to keep in mind.
post #82 of 156 Old 02-03-2006, 11:17 AM

XP MCE is not seeing my kworld card. I have roll up 2 installed. I can watch tv in other software. What am i missing? driver is 1.3.3.1

system info
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: Shuttle Inc
System Model: SK43V10
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 443MB used, 2018MB available
Windows Dir: C:\\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

RADEON X700 PRO AGP
Realtek AC97 Audio

thanks.
post #83 of 156 Old 02-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Hi kuroiryu42,

MCE requires a Tuner card with an onboard hardware mpeg2 encoder to complete its initial setup. The Kworld ATSC-110 does not have an onboard mpeg2 encoder.

You have a few options,
a) Get a hardware mpeg2 encoder card such as the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150MCE or 500MCE to compliment your ATSC-110.

or

b) Dump MCE and upgrade to BTV4 ( from the BTV3.8 that came with your card )

or
c) Try GB-PVR , its free ( although donations are accepted ) and is pretty good.
GAM is also another no cost / low cost option

The easiest is probably option (b)

/// Motu
post #84 of 156 Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Hi,

Is anyone else using GBPVR with their Kworld ATSC-110 ?

/// Motu
post #85 of 156 Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 AM

Hi,

I just ordered the kworld card from newegg. They got a $20 rebate right now, I thought it was a good deal. This will be my first real tuner card so I am gonna need a little help :o

I was wondering if anyone could confirm that my video card would work with the kworld atsc-110 I have an asus ati radion 9800xt vivo, it has the rage theater chip.

Asus digital vcr software came with the card. It works ok, I can watch tv and record. The picture is'nt very good ,I just have cable run from my dss recevier( in another room,I know im too cheap to pay for another reciver :rolleyes: ) to my computer room tv then rca out to the vivo. Anyone know of other software that will work with vivo on my card? Will I be able to use a splitter on that cable for the tv and the analog tuner on the kworld card?

Any suggestions for a hd antenna. I am 20~25 miles away from broadcast towers. I have a OTA antenna hooked up to my dss reciver that i NEVER use,its a real cheep-o that is about 24"x24" inclosed in plastic to make look pretty. Will it work at all ?? Thought I might try it? I know there is alot of info here on the forum about antennas, I"ll do some research :o

Sorry for being such a nooob :rolleyes: Thanks for any help and or pointers
post #86 of 156 Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Hey motulal,

I was thinking of using GVPVR also. I was looking at the gvpvr forum and their are some people using it. Looks like there are afew issues :eek: looks like there is hope though.
I'm new here so I cant post links yet . I went to the gvpvr forum and did a search for Kworld atsc-110
post #87 of 156 Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Hi Racefan,

The Kworld / BTV SE software should work fine with your video card from the pov that your card should have sufficient horsepower to display hdtv. Download the latest mpeg2 decoder from ATI. It is really good. You will need the driver cd that came with your card.

Try GBPVR out and let me know how it works out for you. I am particularly interested in the schduled recording feature. Live tv and even recording (with GBPVR and the Kworld ) works fine for me but the software does not change channels (for me) on scheduled recordings. It changes channels fine in live tv mode.

As for the OTA antenna. Please do search the forums , there is a seperate HDTV OTA forum. My $.02 is to go with the Channel Master or Antenna Direct brands only. Dont waste your time with Terk. The Wineguards are hit or miss. Your first stop should be www.antennaweb.org so that you can determine UHF or VHF and an appropriate size antenna. You can check out this site http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ for an excellent review of antenna's for HDTV.

Use Belkin 1694A RG-6 cable or equivalent. The Belkin is better than the Philips 'quad shield' you find in stores and is cheaper. See this article http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/shielding.htm

Hope this helps.

/// Motu
post #88 of 156 Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 AM

Hey Motu,
Thanks for your reply. My card should be here in the next day or two, maybe by the weekend I'll have it in and be able to do some tuning and testing.

I still haft to come up with an antenna. I don't want to spend much on this setup. I don't have a hd tv,just gonna use this with my pc for now.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. May go down to the local radio shack see what they have on hand.

I'll let you know how gbpvr goes when i get every thing set up.

Thanks again, Racefan
post #89 of 156 Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

motulal,

I did send you a PM on the GBPVR forums, but could you zip up the drivers(beta ones) and email them to me?

Thanks,

Jim

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #90 of 156 Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 PM

Hi vfrjim,

The drivers have been posted by opnupurize in this thread. See opnupurize's post on 01-26-06 08:23 PM

/// Motu
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page