MyHD MDP-130 Meta FAQ - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 111 Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question: How do I configure WinXP/2K to use single CPU in dual core, HyperThread, etc. system?

This is useful to enable all features of MyHD or at least test to see if the features work.

On some systems you can do this in BIOS.

On all systems you should be able to configure single CPU behavior in the boot.ini parameters for the WinXP/2K kernel.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINXP="Windows XP single CPU" /onecpu /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(), rdisk(), and partition() parameters are nominal and *must* be adjusted for specific HDD configurations. Just look at what your current boot.ini says and add the /onecpu option.

For boot.ini reference see here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/bootini.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
A few MyHD users have returned after a few days away from their PC's to find that for some unexplainable reasons, MyHD hit a rough patch, and quit doing all scheduled recording. In order to decrease the chances of going multiple days in some kind of funk, you could have a daily scheduled machine restart, or like I'm going to try, just restart MyHD and MyIRC on a scheduled basis.

At this point, consider this solution "alpha" level, because I just wrote this batch file tonight, and only unit tested it. For XP, don't schedule it to run under a second account; it won't work, and test it using a program icon (not from the command line).

What it does: If MyHD is up, it does NOT do anything to MyHD. If MyHD is not up, it starts it and stops it (with a kill). After that, if it finds MyIRC, it kills it and then starts it.

Code:
@echo off
echo looking for running MyHD >> automation.log
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "MyHD.exe"') do set pid=%%a 

if not "%pid%"=="" GOTO ALREADYRUNNING

echo pid was blank [%pid%], so we can start and stop MyHD without harm.
echo Attempting to start MyHD >> automation.log
start "MyHD Start Stop" /D"c:\\program files\\MyHD\\" MyHD.exe
echo wait 30 seconds
ping -n 30 127.0.0.1>nul
for /f "tokens=1" %%b in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "MyHD.exe"') do set pidb=%%b
kill.exe %pidb%
echo kill performed on MyHD pid %pidb% after momentarily running >> automation.log

GOTO NEXTSTEP

:ALREADYRUNNING
echo Do nothing since it's already running on %pid% >> automation.log

:NEXTSTEP
echo Attempting restart of MyIRC >> automation.log
for /f "tokens=1" %%c in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "MyIRC.exe"') do set pidc=%%c 
kill.exe %pidc%
start "MyIRC" /D"c:\\program files\\MyHD\\" MyIRC.exe
echo Restart of MyIRC completed. >> automation.log
I think "tlist.exe" and "kill.exe" came from the NT resource kit. If you dig around, you might find them out there somewhere.

Possible Improvement: This kills MyHD, so it doesn't get a chance to do it's writing to the registry as it closes. One of the things I noticed when my machine gets into a funk is that the past scheduled items (the ones it missed) remain in the registry. I'm hoping just starting MyHD will be enough to clear them, but I'm not sure when those missed schedules get fixed. So if I could figure out how to ask MyHD to end itself, rather than a kill, that would be optimal. I'll come back and edit this entry once I have more experience with it.

--Dale--

Edit: I just came back to my system after 2 weeks unattended...I didn't have a single missing show! YMMV.
post #63 of 111 Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 View Post

jkaiser provided a solution to record analog (NTSC) that easily worked for me on MyHD-130, 1.66 with the 1.66.0.1 patch. This is on a Dell 400SC, xp-pro, with motherboard audio. Here it is.

Environment:
I have 1.66 with the 1.66.0.1 patch, motherboard audio on Dell 400SC,
XP-PRO, P4-2.8, 1G Ram, blah blah

Briefly the solution was to go into Microsoft Volume Controls>Optons>Properties>Recording and make sure the box labeled WAVE OUT MIX was checked. I think this sets up Microsoft's recording API to record what is being played back. In Propeties>Playback I had all sliders muted except WAVE and the MASTER VOLUME Control.

That worked like a charm to cause a .avi file to appear in my Capture Directory.
I used Media Classic to playback, and I could see and hear the recorded analog NTSC channel. I am not saying that the video is HD quality. Obviously it is not. I was using the record capability for a channel instructing how to install a fan. It is hot here.

Apparently the MyHD record software to record an analog station, uses the Microsoft record capability, and probably does not bother setting up the "record what you hear" or equivalenlty named parameter, depending on the user to do this. Once I set that up, the audio is recorded fine, and the AVI file plays back with audio by all my AVI players.
post #64 of 111 Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Can I Fast Forward Instead of Skip Forward?

The hardware was deemed not to have quite enough horsepower to do fast forward effectively for HD, so no, playback with the MyHD software does not allow for a 2X, 4X, type of fast forward.

What Are Optimal Skips?

DPlettener reports:

The posters (in an old, archived thread) settled on 27 seconds forward and 15 seconds backward based on an average commercial break time of 3:30.

A single 8X press moves you 3:36 forward. If the show has begun, a single 1X backward press moves you a little before the 3:30 mark. If you still see commercials, a single 1X forward press moves you a little past the 4:00 minute mark, so you can see if the commercial is over, and repeat the process again.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7188694
post #65 of 111 Old 04-25-2007, 07:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Here's My question: Why MyHD doen't support H264 coded?

MyHD-130 is ATSC OTA and clear QAM TV tuner/receiver card with a hardware based MPEG2 decoder.

H.264 is MPEG4 format and no one in the US broadcasts in that format, neither terrestrially nor cable. Only DirecTV broadcasts using MPEG4.
post #66 of 111 Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Any updates on Windows Vista yet?
post #67 of 111 Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please post in the main MyHD thread available in the first post. If you have a definitive question and answer that you feel is an FAQ then post to this thread and I will index.
post #68 of 111 Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Many of us have at least one PC that's assigned mainly to running MyHD, CW_EPG, and maybe FusionHDTV to schedule and capture HDTV shows. Such HTPCs don't need to run 24/7, since they can easily be waked from S4 (hibernation) to perform scheduling and captures and then go back to sleep, saving over 90% of the energy that would be wasted by running them all the time in most cases.

The best way to have them go back to sleep is via Windows' Power Options inactivity timeout, which can be set to hibernate (or suspend) the PC after a specified period without any application or user interactions. The rub is that sometimes (far too often) there is an application or service that inhibits Power Options from its timeout action.

Inspired by Dale's brilliant idea above, I devised the below batch file to take a more forceful approach to the shutdown process without interfering with MyHD, FusionHDTV, or CW_EPG functions. This batch file is invoked via the Start|Programs|Startup menu. (Set the shortcut's properties to run minimized so that you don't have a stray window open on your desktop--a refinement to this would be to use a Windows script plus the technique that runs scripts without a visible window--See Dave Plettner's post just below for a link describing how to do this) Then the batch file runs continuously, checking every 10 minutes when the PC is not sleeping, to see if one of the designated apps is running and, if not, it sends the PC back to sleep. Obviously, you can add other "must run" apps to fit your situation. The main downside of this approach is that the PC will fail to go to sleep if you inadvertently leave one of those apps running. (But that's probably what would happen anyway with Power Options, so it's not a new problem)

EDIT: I've enhanced this batch file to also check for Dr. Watson's running (waiting for you to allow him to phone MSFT about the crashed app) and then initiate a restart. This is my approach to the enhancement that Dave Plettner suggested below for handling this situation.

PoormansPowerOptions.bat
Code:
@echo off
:loop1
rem first wait 10 minutes...
ping -n 600 127.0.0.1>nul
rem Done waiting!

set pid=na

rem next chk for hung apps (with dr watson asking to phone MSFT)
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "dwwin.exe"') do set pid=%%a 
if not "%pid%"=="na" SHUTDOWN -r -f

rem no hung app, so continue

rem chk for CW_EPG, MyHD, or FusionHDTV running
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "MyHD.exe"') do set pid=%%a 
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "FusionHDTV.exe"') do set pid=%%a 
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tlist.exe ^| find /i "CW_EPG.exe"') do set pid=%%a 

if not "%pid%"=="na" GOTO NOSHUTDOWN

rem pid was not found so we can shut down without harm.
start hibernate(neverforce).exe

:NOSHUTDOWN
rem Do nothing now, since must-run app is on %pid%
Goto loop1
To run this batch file, you'll also need to copy the NT SDK applet tlist.exe (This MSFT KB article describes one source--Google will provide others) and a suitable "hibernate.exe" (e.g., from here) to a folder on your PATH, such as the Windows system folder.

EDIT2: I have further streamlined Poorman's Power Options in a Windows XP-specific version that does not require any 3rd-party downloads to implement. Its function is still the same and it's best invoked via the Startup folder in the Start Programs menu so that it runs automatically at each boot up. Here's the new version:

Poorman's Power Options for Windows XP only:
Code:
@echo off
:loop1
rem first wait 10 minutes...
CALL sleep 600
rem Done waiting!

rem Now chk for hung apps (with dr watson asking to phone MSFT)
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tasklist ^| find /i "dwwin.exe"') do SHUTDOWN -r -f -c "PPO found crash-hung app"

rem no hung app, so continue

rem Finally, chk for must-run apps
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tasklist ^| find /i "MyHD.exe"') do GOTO loop1 
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tasklist ^| find /i "FusionHDTV.exe"') do GOTO loop1 
for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('tasklist ^| find /i "CW_EPG.exe"') do GOTO loop1

rem Must-run apps not found, so we can sleep without harm.
start %SystemRoot%\\system32\\RunDll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

rem But stay on the job!
Goto loop1
Sleep.bat:
Code:
rem delay for %1 seconds

ping -n %1 127.0.0.1>nul
EDIT3: I think that the RunDll32.exe method of hibernating inhibits the following scheduled wake up, at least on some PCs some of the time. If you find this happening to you, try the hibernate(neverforce).exe referenced in the first batch file version instead. Further clarification rendered via Google: Evidently this problem has to do with the fact that RunDll32.exe is not properly used to call the SetSuspendState entry point in powrprof.dll, despite this tip's being widely found on the Internet. (See "How do I inflate a bicycle tire with a potato?" and links for detailed explanation)

EDIT4: BTW, I should also mention that the problem of inhibiting scheduled wake-up events also seems to exist in the SysInternals PSshutdown tool.
post #69 of 111 Old 06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Terry and Dale. Right now I have my PCs scheduled to hibernate after primetime, so your batch file will save a little more juice.

I have seen misbehaving applications prevent my PCs from going into hibernation. This happens occasionally with Adobe Acrobat Reader, but other programs have caused this problem too. The way I deal with this today is to schedule a "shutdown.exe -r -f" right before hibernate.exe is scheduled to run. The -f option forces a reboot even if applications do not close.

If I use your batch file, I think I will simply schedule "shutdown.exe -r -f" to run in the middle of the night, with the scheduled event configured to not wake the PC. If your batch file did it's thing, shutdown will never run, but if something is hanging up hibernate, the PC will restart and then your batch will hibernate the PC.

In the RT thread, I posted directions for running a batch file silently without a DOS window. This should work with your batch file too.

Incidently, I have a Kill-A-Watt meter, and my PCs use about 230 watts each when running, and only 5 watts when hibernating. Any additional electricity that I use/save is subject to a rate of $0.13 per KWH. Leaving both PCs on 24/7 would cost more than $500 a year, so using suspend or hibernate can save quite a bit of money over time.

-Dave
post #70 of 111 Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

$0.13/kWh is my PG&E baseline rate. I have a full house of people, so I'm in the 200%-300% of baseline range. So, any incremental savings is at $0.31/kWh until the monthly total drops below 200% of baseline. Chopping 460W of 24/7 usage for a year would save nearly $1,250 at that incremental rate. However, doing so may drop to the next lower rate during the course of a month - I'd have to check my bill to see.

- Mike
post #71 of 111 Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM

I've been very lucky over the past several years with 2-120's and a 130 running without a hitch. Last couple of days my playback 120 started to get sluggish when loading a file from a network drive so I decided to do a fresh load of 1.66U. Now I have no audio. I'm using an optical cable from the daughtercard to the receiver and I THINK I have the audio configured right in MyHD. Can someone give me a tickle and send me on the right track?

I've been looking around in AVs most of the morning and can't seem to find an answer. I must admit that it's been a looong time since I visited this forum.

Regards,
Gary

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 (Cal by DNice)
Yamaha RX-V675
Yamaha 5.1 Surround Speakers
Yamaha LFE
PS3
XBox
Wii
Logitech Harmony 1100
Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC XBMC
post #72 of 111 Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Gary, this is the meta FAQ thread meant for FAQs only.

For discussion and help please use the main threads

MDP-130
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=493691

MDP-120
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=347087

I'll be removing your post in a few days to keep this thread organized.
post #73 of 111 Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question: How to run MyHD on Windows Vista?

Update: See also the MyHD on Vista main thread

Update2:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=126

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...82#post9671982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgewinds View Post

These are all the steps I went through to get my MDP-120 to work thanks to everyone who posted all these steps. I just thought a consolidated list may help someone.

*Installed orignal driver from MIT disk in device manager following install instructions
* Installed updated MyHD and remote drivers in Windows XP SP 2 compatibility mode by right-clicking on the driver installer and picking the compatibility mode on the compatibility tab. After setting the compatibility mode, run the driver installer executable.
* Install the MyHD software in Windows XP SP 2 compatibility mode by right-clicking on the installer and picking the compatibility mode on the compatibility tab.
* If you have the Windows firewall enabled you may get a message asking if you wish to allow or block the MyIRC application. Select Allow.
* Reboot
* Right click on the MyHD shortcut on the desktop (or start menu) and select the Windows XP SP 2 compatibilty mode by right-clicking on the shortcut and picking the compatibility mode on the compatibility tab.
* Right click on the MyHD shortcut on the desktop (or start menu) and select run as administrator
* Disable OAC in the user account settings path: Control panel/User accounts and family safety / User accounts then select Turn user account control on or off

After following these steps, the MyHD software and remote works perfectly under Windows Vista. I have been able to watch both digital and analog channels, as well as schdule captures and use the program guide with no problems.

Previous entry:
How to get MyHD working in Windows Vista RC2
post #74 of 111 Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM

Hi Folks

I am a newbee for the HTPC. I recently purchased the MyHD MDP130 and plugged into my XP PC. The cards got recognized and works great.

I am able to view all HD channels, but unable to record D2-1, D9-1 which are KTVU HD and KQED HD.

My cable provider is Comcast.

I am told that these signals are sent unencrypted. If that is the case, what is it that I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
paul
post #75 of 111 Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #76 of 111 Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Is there a way to search within a post? The meta md-130 thread has over 100 pages and I need to know if the card will work in a 64bit Vista.
post #77 of 111 Old 02-06-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If it isn't indexed on the first page, chances are no one has added an entry. However if you'd like to search the thread, you could go to thread tools and download the thread, then search it.

There is a Vista entry, but nothing specific to 64-bit Vista.
post #78 of 111 Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 PM

I just did a new channel scan for cable stations and I got alot of new QAM stations. I saved the new list (.mcl file). However, going over my notes, one of the stations (D73) at one point went from sub-channels 1 to 18, but now it's going to 15, so I'm losing sub-channels 16 to 18. I remembered a few times, someone with a similar problem wanted to add sub-channels that the auto-scan didn't pick up, and I think they did this but editing the .mcl file. I used wordpad to look at the .mcl file and it looks like I can copy the block of text for one of the sub-channels (D73-15) and paste 3 new entries and change the number in 4 lines to 16, 17, and 18. However, the first line has a number to it [INPUT2 No. 176] and this number would be out of order. There's something like 170 entries after D73-15, and I would hate it if I had to go to each entry and change the Input2 number so they're back in consecutive order. Is there a simple way to do this?
post #79 of 111 Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #80 of 111 Old 07-12-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a new Dell 30" LCD monitor. I connected the video card to the monitor via DVI. Works well. I connected the MDP130 to the monitor using the VGA connection coming from the card. (The Blue Dongle to a 9 pin VGA) I get no picture. Help

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #81 of 111 Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #82 of 111 Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm writing this for anyone who is experiencing random system crashes while using the MYHD card.

After more than a year I've finally isolated intermittent Windows XP crashes to the MDP-130 card. The crashes only occurred when I used the Sleep or Hibernate functions and only happened every week or two. After reloading Windows from scratch, I thought it was a problem with my motherboard and replaced it with a different type, along with the memory and CPU - to my surprise the crashes continued. I removed the MYHD card, de-installed the software and my system has run without a problem for the past 4 months.

Hopefully this post will save someone out there some time and trouble.
post #83 of 111 Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

nwbear--

Sounds as though you experienced either a bad MDP-130 or a hardware problem elsewhere in your two PCs. Since such defects can occur in any part of such a complex device, with many of those parts more prone to failure than the MDP-130 has proven to be, I don't see that your post is likely to "save time and trouble" for the majority of troubleshooters. For example, an undersized or flaky power supply is a much more probable sore spot. (BTW, you don't say whether you changed PSU in your swap)

The only purpose of my message was to encourage people having a issue with a PC and MYHD card to START by removing the MYHD card to see if it resolves the problem. (Yes, the PS was changed.)

Since my post doesn't apply to you, I suggest you ignore it.
post #84 of 111 Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unless it is determined a significant amount of people are suffering from the particular problem this doesn't belong in the Meta-FAQ thread. It should be discussed in the main MDP-130 thread.

Please see this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11801644
post #85 of 111 Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Show of hands? ... Yeah, that's what I thought. Buhbye, Bear.

It always amazes me that the "experts" in these forums completely discount the experience of other if they haven't seen the same issues. I don't quite understand why, but I'm sure there's some reason for it. Perhaps you don't feel quite like so much of an expert when you're faced with something outside your experience.

It is possible that my post will help someone solve a problem they've been wrestling with for a long time and that was the ONLY reason I posted it. I'm was not and am not looking for comments from "experts" who have the time to make over 9,000 posts on this board telling me that I must be mistaken. I'm simply trying to help someone out that may be struggling with a problem.

From your response, I guess that's the last thing you'd want to do.
post #86 of 111 Old 07-29-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:

And it's more possible that your post will cause many people to waste their time pulling out an innocent MDP card to chase their power supply issue--hey, I pulled out my MyHD card and the PC booted! Yes, bad MyHD cards do happen, but they are not a leading cause of HTPC failures, period.

I'm going to remove all of my posts on this subject from Hub's MetaFAQ thread within a day or so to keep down its clutter.

Gee, I don't remember saying this was a "leading" cause of failures.

What an itty bitty world you must live in for this forum to be the center of it. 9000 posts, come on, get a life.

Why don't you remove these posts right away. You know it'll make you feel better and you will be the master of your domain once again. God forbid there be any clutter (or anyone who disagrees with you) in it.
post #87 of 111 Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbear View Post

Gee, I don't remember saying this was a "leading" cause of failures.

God forbid there be any clutter (or anyone who disagrees with you) in it.

I think your missing the point. This FAQ is for common known problems 'when working on getting the card running' so your posting in the wrong thread. There are many people with a solid running MDP100, MDP120, and MDP130 but it does take time to get the system there. The cards definitely require a quality power supply and motherboard with proper timings. Some Chipsets do have problems but they were a ways back if I recall. Keep in mind this thread is in the HTPC section and not the Vista gaming section. Meaning you buy the hardware and software that works.

Your solution of pulling the card is not a solution. Your just giving up and then trying to trash a well known card in an enthusiast thread. Of course your going to get flamed.
post #88 of 111 Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I am running a dual core cpu Dell GEN 5. My MDP 130 has worked well since the day I installed it 3 years ago. Recently I bought a Dell 3800 30" flat screen. By using the HD button and selecting 1920x1080i.... (16x9) on the cards selector, I can get Hd by using the VGA connection directly to the monitor. The trick is that HD button. I never had used it before and now it has become an essential piece of getting a High Def picture.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #89 of 111 Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

What I want to do is have a MDP-130 in my box and watch TV inside of windows, is that possible? If else I assume I can get the DVI Daughter card and run it to my monitor as a second attachment (I have a DVI port and a VGA port)
post #90 of 111 Old 08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjers View Post

What I want to do is have a MDP-130 in my box and watch TV inside of windows, is that possible? If else I assume I can get the DVI Daughter card and run it to my monitor as a second attachment (I have a DVI port and a VGA port)

Not certain what you're asking, but I think the answer is yes. I don't know that the daughterboard is necessary. Assuming your monitor has a DVI input, the daughterboard should give you a bit better image. I watch MyHD in Windows. You can see it full screen (in HD when broadcast in HD), in a window (not HD, but not bad), and that window can be always on top (and you can do normal Windows computing while it's happening) or not (and still do normal computing, of course), your choice.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page